• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinBB7

Has anyone had any issues with Steam Achievements for Sleeping Dogs not being unlocked? I have finished the game twice now and still have not got a couple of achievements which should have been unlocked by story missions :(

I want my 100% :'(

Which ones? I got all of mine except the unreleased DLC ones.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
What's ironic is that Steam workshop is perfect for Trackmania. Their own system, for lack of a better phrase, sucks giant dong.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
For some reason Steam's decided to delete the local content of a number of my games. All my achievements and save data seems to be there but it's asking me to reinstall the games.

Is this a known problem? What could be causing this?

The only thing different I've done in the last few days is OC my CPU and GPU.

JustinBB7

For some reason Steam's decided to delete the local content of a number of my games. All my achievements and save data seems to be there but it's asking me to reinstall the games.

Are they Orange Box games? Valve is making all of them into Steampipe games.

dhusband

Neo Member

I don't know if it's still going on, but some weird stuff was happening to me when they switched over the file systems to be consistent. It said Borderlands was gone, but it only had to download a couple hundred MBs rather than the 8 gigs or so of the full download. My saves were just fine and it loaded up normally.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I don't know if anyone has any experience with this, so I figure I'd give it a shot....

So I want to preorder Tomb Raider but living in Japan it's not here until bloody April and will probably be the Japanese version, and marked up to high hell. I want to preorder it from the Canadian store (have a Canadian CC) but I want to know if I'm going to get screwed over by by my IP once I buy it? I didn't have any problems with a few indie games that were North America only IIRC but then again, i got screwed over with Scribblenauts not working, I don't want to plunk down $50 for a game I can't play.

so steam is infuriating me, team fortress 2 specifically but i'm guessing my issue isn't unique to this game

wondering if there is a helpful soul out there

everytime i launch steam or tf2 it pops up a little window saying validating cache files,

this would be fine as it doesn't take very long to fill the bar to 100% however once it does reach 100% it does not complete and the window does not go away and i am unable to play tf2

i've tried defragmenting the cache files and this progress bar as with the validating one fills then does not go away

i have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and this does stop this problem but not for very long

would really welcome any advice you can throw my way whether you know how to fix it or have had a similar issue, i'm running steam on mac

thanks

dhusband

Neo Member
Green Man Gaming is most likely the cheapest route when combined with the 20% off coupon (GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS).

If you're looking to get the Steam pre-order extras as well as an upgrade to the Survivor's Edition, DunderHassan has a pretty nice offer over at the Buy/Sell/Trade thread that's priced just a tad higher than the above discount.

Amazon also has Tomb Raider download for $45 base price and you can use a one time use code for 25% off. Code is CAGROCKS.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't know if anyone has any experience with this, so I figure I'd give it a shot....

So I want to preorder Tomb Raider but living in Japan it's not here until bloody April and will probably be the Japanese version, and marked up to high hell. I want to preorder it from the Canadian store (have a Canadian CC) but I want to know if I'm going to get screwed over by by my IP once I buy it? I didn't have any problems with a few indie games that were North America only IIRC but then again, i got screwed over with Scribblenauts not working, I don't want to plunk down $50 for a game I can't play.

Scribblenauts not working doesn't make any sense. The only region-specific sub relates to Europe, and this is simply because it released later in PAL Land (Australia excluded).

Istaerion

Amazon also has Tomb Raider download for $45 base price and you can use a one time use code for 25% off. Code is CAGROCKS.

If I hadn't already pre-ordered via Green Man Gaming, I would have definitely took advantage of that discount.

Would the code be limited to just Tomb Raider, or is it spread amongst a variety of titles?

JaseC

If I didn't already pre-order via Green Man Gaming, I would have definitely took advantage of that discount.

Is the code limited to just Tomb Raider, or is it spread amongst a variety of titles?

It's a general 25% discount code and is also single-use.

alstein

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TOMB/tomb-raider

See if you can order it here? Maybe it won't work, unsure, but I believe if you install the game on a Canadian/US Proxy, it won't brick you afterwards.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think the game concepts are good, but the packaging is crap. It needs some kind of style.

The gameplay I watched looked like a shitty Quake 3 clone. At least Trackmania was a fairly creative product that I hadn't already played a superior version of 10 years ago.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Shootmania is a bad game. Nadeo threw a $100,000 tournament for it at IPL5 and it only had about 2000 viewers during the grand finals, lol.

FloatOn

The gameplay I watched looked like a shitty Quake 3 clone. At least Trackmania was a fairly creative product that I hadn't already played a superior version of 10 years ago.

I would take a shitty quake 3 clone at this point. I'm desperate for arena shooters.....

.... I played Nexuiz

Blizzard

Banned
I seem to recall watching ShootMania footage and thinking, if it had another couple of weapons it might be cool.

But then again you run into the situation with that fancy space multiplayer game whose name I forget, that tried to be really advanced with graphics. Everyone had one or two guns, and people were like, one or two guns, lame. And then they added some more guns I think? And then people were like, they ruined it by adding more guns.

So I think it's not an easy problem. I do wonder if leaving the new Trackmania off of Steam nearly killed it though. :(

Did you guys see this? Saints row 4 in the registry and even with an icon:

a60dad3e2b751cc39fcb8f8c257b69b133ea64e5.jpg

Also Final Fantasy VII again updated 34 min ago. Maybe it will be back.

Initiate Phase One. Power up the Steam Registry... FIRE!

WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB

Daily today is Ys Origin.

No week-long deals? Wow, those lasted little.

edit: beaten, can't defeat GAF! :p

L00P

so steam is infuriating me, team fortress 2 specifically but i'm guessing my issue isn't unique to this game

wondering if there is a helpful soul out there

everytime i launch steam or tf2 it pops up a little window saying validating cache files,

this would be fine as it doesn't take very long to fill the bar to 100% however once it does reach 100% it does not complete and the window does not go away and i am unable to play tf2

i've tried defragmenting the cache files and this progress bar as with the validating one fills then does not go away

i have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and this does stop this problem but not for very long

would really welcome any advice you can throw my way whether you know how to fix it or have had a similar issue, i'm running steam on mac

thanks

I had the same freaking problem and tried all the things you mentioned. After some desperate googling, exiting steam before shutting down your computer makes it not validate the game the next time you turn it back on. The game stopped doing this when I tried this out. You have to exit steam every time you shut your pc down though, but it's not a big deal. Hope that solution works for you as well

I had the same freaking problem and tried all the things you mentioned. After some desperate googling, exiting steam before shutting down your computer makes it not validate the game the next time you turn it back on. The game stopped doing this when I tried this out. You have to exit steam every time you shut your pc down though, but it's not a big deal. Hope that solution works for you as well

i think this is what i usual do as i am normally on my computer long after i shut steam, but now you mention it, its kind of hard to recall if i do something or not when it is something so habitual and done without thinking, will give it a whirl though and see what the results are

i may well be back though haha

thanks for advice

StuBurns

Banned
i think this is what i usual do as i am normally on my computer long after i shut steam, but now you mention it, its kind of hard to recall if i do something or not when it is something so habitual and done without thinking, will give it a whirl though and see what the results are

i may well be back though haha

thanks for advice
Quoted for the next page, so it doesn't get lost.

JaseC

Is anybody else keeping track of their Steam-related spending for the year? It's rather incredible what you can save thanks to sales. (I told myself I wouldn't crunch the numbers until the very end of the year, but I got curious.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom