• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anybody else keeping track of their Steam-related spending for the year? It's rather incredible what you can save thanks to sales. (I told myself I wouldn't crunch the numbers until the very end of the year, but I got curious.)

yeah i imagine it is pretty incredible how much you can save

but the really question is how much money have you spent on games you will never play and wouldn't have bought otherwise

Is anybody else keeping track of their Steam-related spending for the year? It's rather incredible what you can save thanks to sales. (I told myself I wouldn't crunch the numbers until the very end of the year, but I got curious.)

started doing that last Summer Sale. Have a chart with all the games I get and where they came from. Average savings of like 68% is pretty damn great.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So are any of these week long deals worth getting? I don't really know about any of the games.

I have only played Capsized and it was pretty disappointing. The physics feel imprecise and the enemies/obstacles got pretty annoying in a similar fashion to Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet's enemies.

It's also not a metroidvania :( :( :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
yeah i imagine it is pretty incredible how much you can save

but the really question is how much money have you spent on games you will never play and wouldn't have bought otherwise

It's all or nothing!

started doing that last Summer Sale. Have a chart with all the games I get and where they came from. Average savings of like 68% is pretty damn great.

I've put together an Excel document ordered by date, with product names, the prices I paid, the base prices as per Steam AU (or Steam US if not available) and the savings the differences between the two represent, expressed in dollars and percentages. Not the most elegant solution (particularly when it comes to factoring in indie bundles), but it does the job.

It's all or nothing!

I've put together an Excel document ordered by date, with product names, the prices I paid, the base prices as per Steam AU (or Steam US if not available) and the savings the differences between the two represent, expressed in dollars and percentages. Not the most elegant solution (particularly when it comes to factoring in indie bundles), but it does the job.

touche

i now no longer have serious doubts of your commitment to sparkle motion

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What makes it so good? Finger's on the trigger. I have Oath in Whateverthefuck but I haven't played it yet. I do like JRPG's.

The controls and combat feels so good. The bosses are fantastic, the soundtrack is god tier and there is a good amount of replayability with the different characters all having different plots.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

I don't keep track myself, but I never consider a game worth its msrp so it'd probably feel inaccurate to me. Kind of a false sense of savings to some degree like those sites that give you your Steam worth stats, since there's no way in hell most of the games I've bought are worth their asking price. If anything it'd make me feel bad about the hundreds of games worth $0 that I paid more than that for.

75% off #feelsgoodman though, dat dopamine release.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I've never thought of any of the Devil May Cry games difficult, but more to make insane combos and rack up big scores. Ninja Gaiden is difficult. DMC's only real difficulty is the camera.
DMC3 was legit hard, but very front loaded. Some people couldn't get past the first vangaurd in the intro level. But by the end you're fighting like 3 vangaurds at once with no problems whatsoever.

I think NG is balanced around item and magic use more than DMC is. They feel like survival tools rather than crutches.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't keep track myself, but I never consider a game worth its msrp so it'd probably feel inaccurate to me. Kind of a false sense of savings to some degree like those sites that give you your Steam worth stats, since there's no way in hell most of the games I've bought are worth their asking price. If anything it'd make me feel bad about the hundreds of games worth $0 that I paid more than that for.

75% off #feelsgoodman though, dat dopamine release.

Maybe the reason I seldom play my recent purchases is so I don't feel that tinge of regret. :p I know what you mean, though; there are very few games that I'd happily claim are worth their typical asking price, and of course many of the games I bought on sale I have absolutely zero intention of playing.

Edit: My interest in keeping track of my Steam-related expenditure is far less about how much I'm (comparatively) saving and more in regard to seeing how much I spend wisely invest. Buying the new Daily rather frequently may seem slight enough, but over an extended period of time the cost is compounded, which isn't something you'd usually take particular notice of.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Has there been any fan patch for Bioshock to make the physics run at higher fps? Alternatively can I limit the game fps to the same frequency (and what is that, if it's 30 that's ok, if it's like 10 then noway) so that there's no jarring change?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Has there been any fan patch for Bioshock to make the physics run at higher fps? Alternatively can I limit the game fps to the same frequency (and what is that, if it's 30 that's ok, if it's like 10 then noway) so that there's no jarring change?

Nope, there is no way to get them to render at any higher than 30. I guess capping the game at 30 would make the difference less obvious, but then the whole game would look awful instead of just the physics. It's not a worthwhile trade off, especially when it's mostly just the ragdolls that look funny.

Alexios

Yeah, but my mind thinks the game runs like shit even when it doesn't due to stuff like that, which happens often (like stuff in the environment being shot out during fights). Having it all like that at least gives me a chance to get used to it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, but my mind thinks the game runs like shit even when it doesn't due to stuff like that, which happens often (like stuff in the environment being shot out during fights). Having it all like that at least gives me a chance to get used to it.

If you need a reminder that the game isn't running like dogshit, just pan the camera around and bask in the appropriate smoothness of 60 fps.

As someone who has put like a good 40 hours into 1/2 between disk and Steam releases, I think you are seriously overstating the physics issue.

Alexios

If you need a reminder that the game isn't running like dogshit, just pan the camera around and bask in the appropriate smoothness of 60 fps.

As someone who has put like a good 40 hours into 1/2 between disk and Steam releases, I think you are seriously overstating the physics issue.
I'm not overstating the issue, I'm just not you and I'm simply asking a question to configure a game as I want. You don't have to answer but you don't have to push your preferences on me as if I should become you because that's the one true path to gaming bliss. Who knows, after I actually try it I could agree with with you. For now I think I'll prefer consistency. Thank you.

Kingbrave

Was getting ready to post about getting Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and it not launching over the weekend. Got a new update a few minutes ago and it fixed it. Woo, now I can get my friend to shut the hell up!

sprinkles

Is the current price on Amazon.com ($11.24 after coupon CAGROCKS) the cheapest Max Payne 3 has been yet? I kinda want a pretty game besides Crysis 3 to test the new rig I am building this week.

Anyone have a rough idea how much the Brutal Legend TF2 items might go for? I don't have a tonne of money but if I could get an extra game during the sale out of my purchase, I'd probably go for it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Anyone have a rough idea how much the Brutal Legend TF2 items might go for? I don't have a tonne of money but if I could get an extra game during the sale out of my purchase, I'd probably go for it.

I don't know, but the guitar use item is pretty baller so even if you can't sell it for jack shit at least you have the coolest fucking item in the game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
My longest-lasting contribution to the Steam thread will be the coining of the Prison Economy.

My attempts to spread "Steamrolled," the act of tricking someone into registering a different game key than they had intended, were less successful.

Nabs

Glad that they appear to be making great progress on their fundraiser, but that's about double what I would want to pay on Steam...

It's too bad they don't have a $15 tier for the game alone, but it still seems to be doing well. They'll probably hit their goal in a day.

My longest-lasting contribution to the Steam thread will be the coining of the Prison Economy.

My attempts to spread "Steamrolled," the act of tricking someone into registering a different game key than they had intended, were less successful.

I'm going to try make "You've been Steamed!" a thing. There are so many uses. Did you buy a game on Amazon or GMG that you already own on Steam? Steamed! Try adding a game to your cart only to find out you already own it? Steamed! Buy a game for a hat and never actually play it? Stupid!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Of all the things that greatly impressed me about Ys, the generic symphonic metal anime music was not one of them, but it seems a few people here on GAF really really really go for that.

1-D_FTW

It's too bad they don't have a $15 tier for the game alone, but it still seems to be doing well. They'll probably hit their goal in a day.

I'm going to try make "You've been Steamed!" a thing. There are so many uses. Did you buy a game on Amazon or GMG that you already own on Steam? Steamed! Try adding a game to your cart only to find out you already own it? Steamed! Buy a game for a hat and never actually play it? Stupid!

Game's available exclusively on Origin. Steamed Up.

Salsa

my items aint worht shit ;_;

iNHYYPOmTyEZA.PNG

thought I could maybe get enough for Brutal Legend. Blargh

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
what have we become
lol, I was just hearing a Yes song that has that exact same line as part of the lyrics at the exact same time as I read your post. And to make it more weird, Squire was in fact singing that line while I was reading it.

Coincidence, or is there a conspiracy between GAF, Steam and Yes?

Raxus

I have to say the Bioshock Infinite pre-order is looking mighty tempting if it comes with X-Com: Enemy Unknown. If only it was closer to it's goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom