• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Anyone check out The Banner Saga: Factions? What's the gameplay like?

Sweet, had no idea this was out. Downloading now. I assume since it's f2p it's just the multiplayer right now.

edit: apparently under maintenance... says to check back in 5 minutes.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I don't know if it's still going on, but some weird stuff was happening to me when they switched over the file systems to be consistent. It said Borderlands was gone, but it only had to download a couple hundred MBs rather than the 8 gigs or so of the full download. My saves were just fine and it loaded up normally.

Alright, turned out to be this. Cheers.

ShaneB

Wow, Banner Saga is beautiful. Looks to be a lot of fun, just played one match, first impressions that it seems like Viking Chess.
KuGsj.gif

Salsa

Finished DmC on the hardest non-unlockable difficulty. 10 hours or so.

Game is fantastic. Last boss was a bit easy but post-last boss stuff was fucking great. Sets up sequel nice and its a nice shout out to fans.

Loved it. Gonna do another playthrough right away methinks

Anyone check out The Banner Saga: Factions? What's the gameplay like?

Turn-based tactical strategy game.

Wow, Banner Saga is beautiful. Looks to be a lot of fun, just played one match, first impressions that it seems like Viking Chess.
KuGsj.gif

It plays well and looks good, really want the single-player version though. Got some network issues and won some my first match because the other player quit due to that. The marketplace is mostly cosmetic variations, bonus renown per match(currency) but nothing that looks like pay-to-win. Reading the website I think there's an update in progress since it's not totally released on Steam yet i.e. news section, new releases.

Acorn

Hey, new member here. My steam list is empty(RL friends are console only). How do I go about joining the gaf steam group? Or is it like fight club?

Hey, new member here. My steam list is empty(RL friends are console only). How do I go about joining the gaf steam group? Or is it like fight club?

Step 1: tell us your Steam user name or link to your Steam community profile.
Step 2: wait for someone to send you an invite. It may involve getting a friend request from aforementioned someone.

played the first level on the new unlocked difficulty

straight up end-game enemies at the beggining, and the boss has new moves and a different pattern

pretty cool

Well, if I like the game enough I might give it another shot on the unlocked difficulty. The more difficult enemies and new boss patterns/moves sound nice but are the combo ranks more difficult to achieve as well? I'm by no means a pro-action gamer but I have been busting out S rank combos with very little effort or variety.

ShaneB

Being in the Steam GAF group doesnt really add a whole lot, if you want Steam friends, just say your Steam name and ask for people to friend you from time to time :)

Salsa

Well, if I like the game enough I might give it another shot on the unlocked difficulty. The more difficult enemies and new boss patterns/moves sound nice but are the combo ranks more difficult to achieve as well? I'm by no means a pro-action gamer but I have been busting out S rank combos with very little effort or variety.

cant tell yet

going for full-on SSS in each level (on the harder difficulty) should prove to be a decent challenge

FYC

Banned
I've only played a bit, but damn, for a F2P shooter Blacklight Retribution is pretty sweet. I wish I had tried this sooner.

Salsa

I bought Dragonborn and Ys Chronicles+ with hat money. Shit's great. People get to play virtual dress-up and I get games.

I gave most of my good TF2 items away a while ago before the market was more streamlined

looked up the prices of some of that stuff and I could have made a lot of dough, but eh

nothing crazy though like those $100 items. Biggest thing I have right now is one that' s $5 I think

it really is weird how exploitable this is, with people idling on multiple accounts and all that

seems like free money if you have the time

Nabs

It twice as expensive as the pre-order on Gamersgate. I'm curious to see how much they'll raise with such a "high" price.

They are going to hit their mark in 24 hours, so it looks like they made the right choice. It's still going to be 15 on launch, so 30 for beta access/game/hat doesn't seem too bad.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I gave most of my good TF2 items away a while ago before the market was more streamlined

looked up the prices of some of that stuff and I could have made a lot of dough, but eh

nothing crazy though like those $100 items. Biggest thing I have right now is one that' s $5 I think

it really is weird how exploitable this is, with people idling on multiple accounts and all that

seems like free money if you have the time

You can't trade items unless you assign a payment method to each of those accounts. I don't think Valve would like if the same credit card was assigned to 5+ accounts.

I can't be bothered to figure out a way to create multiple payment options. Or pay 5 dollars per account (the minimum you have to put on your steam wallet to make a TF2 Shop Purchase) to possibly profit from 2 dollar hats.

Not worth it.

dot

I've only played a bit, but damn, for a F2P shooter Blacklight Retribution is pretty sweet. I wish I had tried this sooner.

Yeah, it's really good.

The new Onslaught expansion is supposed to hit in a few days and adds a ton of stuff (like 4 new modes, 3 new maps, new weapons, etc.), so it only gets better from here. :)

omg_mjd

Also a new gaffer here, just wanted to chime in with my steam id: omg_mjd

No one on my list yet. RL friends aren't into gaming at all (the fools).

Thanks and hope to see you guys around. :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks dudes, ant26587 is my id.
Added.

Also a new gaffer here, just wanted to chime in with my steam id: omg_mjd

No one on my list yet. RL friends aren't into gaming at all (the fools).

Thanks and hope to see you guys around. :)
Can't find you on Steam, are you sure your ID is "omg_mjd"?

I wish Brutal Legend would unlock at midnight v_v
Me too, though first I'm going to play Runner 2 before starting BL. What time do games usually unlock?

Just as a PSA as a people going on forward and to bypass a frustration I've encountered time and time again with Steam IDs and whatnot. If you want people to add you, just supply your Steam Community URL to make it easy instead of your listing an ID, since people seem to use that term interchangeably with the login name, display name, and custom Steam Community URL tag.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
In Central time they unlock at 12pm.
I'm not good with North American time zones. Is that GMT-5 or -8?

Yup! omg_mjd is my steam ID, though my account name is different.

EDIT: Weird I tried searching for myself and nothing showed up too. My privacy settings for my profile is "public" though.
Just as a PSA as a people going on forward and to bypass a frustration I've encountered time and time again with Steam IDs and whatnot. If you want people to add you, just supply your Steam Community URL to make it easy instead of your listing an ID, since people seem to use that term interchangeably with the login name, display name, and custom Steam Community URL tag.
I was just going to suggest this. It's the easiest way of all to add people on Steam.

By the way, now we're doing this, this is my ID in case someone's bored and wants another name on their friends list.

KingKong

Gotta say, UT2k4 aged pretty poorly. I don't remember it being so floaty and the guns feeling so crappy. UT99 was even worse.

Really makes you appreciate Carmacks engines, Quake 1/2/3 still feel great to play, Quake Live is basically Q3 engine and its the smoothest game around

It seems like they changed how betas are handled. If you opt into the beta then you won't have to opt in again when it's over and a new one begins. You could always be on the beta client.

Salsa

example to give an idea to those unfamiliar with the market:

jbpJRFLNrU72Cc.PNG

jy0EBRXOMHIfv.PNG

jFzov2FpOKY14.PNG

=

jVsroKvkbL3Il.PNG

you gotta sell a shit ton if you dont have any truly special stuff

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta say, UT2k4 aged pretty poorly. I don't remember it being so floaty and the guns feeling so crappy. UT99 was even worse.

Really makes you appreciate Carmacks engines, Quake 1/2/3 still feel great to play, Quake Live is basically Q3 engine and its the smoothest game around
Nah man, you can't ruin my nostalgia just like that. I hope you're wrong, and it's only something wrong with your PC :p

15:00 here then. I'll be working for 3 more hours, but tomorrow night you can bet I'll be enjoying downloading Runner 2.

ut 99 and 2k4 are still incredible.

Genki

Completely disagree. I will say though, the UTComp(IIRC) mutator is vital. Brightskins and especially hitsounds makes the game much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom