• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
@drizzle- The games are Steam redeemable, but this offer gives you one code for all the games.
I guess I'll wait then in this case for Morrowind to go on sale, etc.

That's less bad then.

But you can literally get Morrowind and Oblivion for 2,50 on Steam - that's how much they went up for this sale. You just have to wait.

That's also how much I sold one of my Oblivion and Morrowind keys. I bet there's a shitload more people giving them away/doing that in the not so distant future.

eareboucas

Neo Member
How good is Darksiders 2? I'm this close to buying it on Amazon but I'm just not too sure about it. I loved the original Darksiders but my impressions are that they turned Darksiders 2 into Diablo, and that's something I'm not interested in.

I'm currently playing it and so far it's pretty good. I like the original better but at the point I am not in 2, that might change. Won't go into details so it doesn't get spoiled. The gear aspect is not that bad, it's more of a matter of doing the sidequests in order to level up because killing enemies gives you very little xp. So there's less grinding than you'd expect.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How good is Darksiders 2? I'm this close to buying it on Amazon but I'm just not too sure about it. I loved the original Darksiders but my impressions are that they turned Darksiders 2 into Diablo, and that's something I'm not interested in.

It's rather average, overall. The first two worlds are the best the game has to offer (though, understandably, some found the second too big for its own good) while the final two are quintessential examples of a game being rushed to meet its deadline (don't expect much of a challenge when facing the final boss). Much of the loot is junk, and using the bespoke crafting system (possessed weapons that you feed unwanted loot into to improve) you can bypass the need for loot entirely. And finally, the campaign has many bugs, some of them game-breaking that require sheer luck to bypass. Really, the only aspect of the game that shines is the core hack-and-slash gameplay -- in fact, the sole reason I want to go through it again is so I'm sufficiently levelled for The Crucible.

If the game had at least six more months in the oven, allowing the final two worlds to be fleshed out more and ample time to fix the myriad of bugs, I'd prefer it to the original.

Tizoc

That's less bad then.

But you can literally get Morrowind and Oblivion for 2,50 on Steam - that's how much they went up for this sale. You just have to wait.

That's also how much I sold one of my Oblivion and Morrowind keys. I bet there's a shitload more people giving them away/doing that in the not so distant future.

That's pretty much what I've been doing since the Steam sale. Heck 2 PS3 games I want, I'm now looking for where to get them both for under 80 Pounds lol.

Derrick01

Banned

I loved DS1 too but 2 was horrendous. It's endless fetch quests, and many times there are fetch quests within fetch quests within fetch quests (I'm not exaggerating) and there's no story at all. The game doesn't progress from 1 at all.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The market dictates that I must now price-match my competitor. For the next 109 days I will be giving you 85%-off my 100% free swift-kick-in-the-dick.
I'd take it, but I'm not sure my PC will be able to run it pretty well. Will the kick have FPS drops? I don't want it to have slowdowns, that would be more painful :/

I actually got the Serious Sam Collection which was going for under $15 on the Winter Sale, ergo I got Serious Sam 3 for less than $15 =V
I got the collection for $24 on one of the 75% daily deals a couple of months ago. It's specially painful because I only played 1 of the 8 games it has so far. Serves me well for not dedicating enough time to my backlog.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea wtf he's talking about.
Wikipedia tells me this:

Micro stuttering is a term used in computing to describe a quality defect that manifests as irregular delays between frames rendered by the GPU(s), causing the instantaneous frame rate of the longest delay to be significantly lower than the frame rate reported by benchmarking applications, such as 3DMark, as they usually calculate the average frame rate over a longer time interval. In lower frame rates[note 1] when this effect may be apparent the moving video appears to stutter, resulting in a degraded gameplay experience in the case of a video game, even though the frame rate seems high enough[note 2] to provide a smooth experience.

I have no fucking idea either. At least it's not a multitasking kick, which hurts your balls and belly at the same time. Or a RRoD kick, which puts you on a permanent coma. Or a DNF kick, which you'll be waiting for more than 15 years, and when it finally comes, it doesn't feel as good as you were promised. Or a Skyrim PS3 kick, which sometimes freezes while hurting your balls. Or a Walking Dead PC kick, which sometimes forgets it already kicked you, and does it all again. Or an HL3 kick, which I don't know how to describe because it doesn't exist.

O.DOGG

I'm currently playing it and so far it's pretty good. I like the original better but at the point I am not in 2, that might change. Won't go into details so it doesn't get spoiled. The gear aspect is not that bad, it's more of a matter of doing the sidequests in order to level up because killing enemies gives you very little xp. So there's less grinding than you'd expect.

It's rather average, overall. The first two worlds are the best the game has to offer (though, understandably, some found the second too big for its own good) while the final two are quintessential examples of a game being rushed to meet its deadline (don't expect much of a challenge when facing the final boss). Much of the loot is junk, and using the bespoke crafting system (possessed weapons that you feed unwanted loot into to improve) you can bypass the need for loot entirely. And finally, the campaign has many bugs, some of them game-breaking that require sheer luck to bypass. Really, the only aspect of the game that shines is the core hack-and-slash gameplay -- in fact, the sole reason I want to go through it again is so I'm sufficiently levelled for The Crucible.

If the game had at least six more months in the oven, allowing the final two worlds to be fleshed out more and ample time to fix the myriad of bugs, I'd prefer it to the original.

I loved DS1 too but 2 was horrendous. It's endless fetch quests, and many times there are fetch quests within fetch quests within fetch quests (I'm not exaggerating) and there's no story at all. The game doesn't progress from 1 at all.

Thanks, guys. I've decided to hold off on buying it. I have plenty of other games to play, and my free time is kind of short right now. I may consider it again during one of the upcoming sales during 2013.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Please Gabe... no more... please stop.

capture6cxqr.png

I just beat Darksider's II and found it fantastic up until the last 25% of the game, the final two stages/areas.

That is to say it takes around 30 hours just to get to this point. The game is meaty and delicious.

It's not diablo, the loot system is pretty modest with everything basically getting the job done no matter the stats and you are given upgrades all the time, honestly I enjoyed the mmo-lite elements such as these.

Some of the boss fights where you just press A to win after a set amount of times are pretty boring, but they are excellent other than that.

The story and quests are fine honestly, and the gameplay is very strong with Death's movement and combat.

The soundtrack is phenomenal and charming, and I REALLY enjoyed the game.

Don't miss out on it.

1-D_FTW

Pfft. Bought it for 2.25 from one of Gamersgate's many screwups.

Actually, you are. Grossly. But we've already been over this before.

Pfft. Bought it for 2.25 from one of Gamersgate's many screwups.

Actually, you are. Grossly. But we've already been over this before.
Sorry to bump in, but as right as Derrick can be some times. He always grossly exagerates, yet it is worthwhile to read he's posts.

1-D_FTW

Sorry to bump in, but as right as Derrick can be some times. He always grossly exagerates, yet it is worthwhile to read he's posts.

I enjoy his perspective. I just meant I'm not getting into those specific complaints again. Because I've already had that discussion. And not only do I think he's completely wrong, but he's most certainly exaggerating here:)

Bricky

Please Gabe... no more... please stop.

capture6cxqr.png

Haha, I have the same problem. I'm going to send Gabe hatemail if they don't all dissapear when the game releases though.

(Also, it's briljant marketing: making people invite their friends to the beta instead of simply releasing the game brings in alot more users)

1-D_FTW

I got ONE. Beat that!

Zero. I traded CS:GO (which I could have sold for quite a bit at the time) for an invite. Haven't received a single pass since.

You people should try letting them sit. I often think Valve keeps sending you more, because you find a home for them. It'll never stop if you keep doing that :lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
LOL I was just lamenting that I didn't look up Viking during the holiday sale (forgot to put it on my wishlist) and added it to my wishlist last night.

Bam daily deal.

Thanks GabeN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom