• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wouldn't mind a copy of DOTA 2.

If I activate a Steam-code and Gabe says I already own the game/DLC, will that make the code unusable or still active?
Question regarding the Abbyssal Forge DLC that is also included in the Season Pass for Darksiders 2.
Hit me with a PM with your Steam user if you want a beta key.

bm1616

Have a couple steam codes from a bundle that I don't have a use for, post what you want and I'll pm the codes over

Trine 1
Magicka & Magicka Vietnam (Gone)

11 damn copies of Dota 2.

If you're on my Steam friendlist, write on my wall and I will send one your way eventually. Don't have the time to walk after people and their PMs.

They should just make it public already. This is redunkulous.

The servers can barely keep up with where it is now. There is a reason it's not open. It would explode if it was. They're making it freely available to the people who will go out of their way slightly to get in on it, but not to the most casual of browsers which will come in droves as soon as it is released widely.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Viking is $5 bucks. Hey Stall, how'd you like it?
My Steam recommendation:

A truly awful game that I refuse to believe anyone on the dev team actually played. Pretty much every aspect of the game had me shaking my head in disbelief. The level design is tedious, the combat system is just plain broken, and the port itself is barebones and demands far more power than it should just to hit the 30 fps limit. Even the art is bland.

I just can't imagine anyone wanting to work on a project like this. It must have been about as rewarding as staring at a spreadsheet all day.

Tizoc

My Steam recommendation:

A truly awful game that I refuse to believe anyone on the dev team actually played. Pretty much every aspect of the game had me shaking my head in disbelief. The level design is tedious, the combat system is just plain broken, and the port itself is barebones and demands far more power than it should just to hit the 30 fps limit. Even the art is bland.

I just can't imagine anyone wanting to work on a project like this. It must have been about as rewarding as staring at a spreadsheet all day.

Just curious but aren't you the guy who has a High score in Bad Rats? Cuz I remember it being a NeoGAF member but I don't remember who exactly @_@.

ShaneB

It's a little detail, but it would be neat if they changed "recommended" to actual reviews. Meaning 'User X positively reviews Game X" or "User X negatively reviews Game X". It just feels odd when I read a "friend recommends.." and it turns into 'avoid at all cost' type of scenario. lol

nexen

My Steam recommendation:

Yikes man. Don't hold back or anything.

Did you play the x360 version? Is the port worse?

Deadstar

I'd like to learn DOTA but the "learners" or "beginners" area is closed down and I have only the option to go online and face actual people without even playing the game for myself first.

lolnope

That reminds me, I've got a copy of Starvoid. Anyone want it?

You can play bots on passive difficulty, which means they will basically just stand there. I recommend doing that.

Nabs

It's a little detail, but it would be neat if they changed "recommended" to actual reviews. Meaning 'User X positively reviews Game X" or "User X negatively reviews Game X". It just feels odd when I read a "friend recommends.." and it turns into 'avoid at all cost' type of scenario. lol

Maybe Bad Rats isn't so bad afterall!

thumb_big.png
1,262 players recommend this game to their friends

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I really enjoyed the x360 version. It is a solid 'B+' game, imho. Anyone here play both versions and can tell me if I should reconsider double dipping?

Literally the only difference between the versions is resolution (not framerate) so unless you love the art so much that you need to see it in 1080p+, don't bother.

I consider the game a solid Shit+ experience.

Zimbardo

I really enjoyed the x360 version. It is a solid 'B+' game, imho. Anyone here play both versions and can tell me if I should reconsider double dipping?

i have Viking on ps3 and pc ....and i have it almost completed on pc.

its worth $5 if interested. pc version is better, tho it's framecapped @ 30fps and feels very unoptimized ...tho anyone with a modern pc shouldn't have any problems playing it.

so in short, while the pc port is nothing to write home about, its still better than what i saw on PS3 at least.

nexen

i have Viking on ps3 and pc ....and i have it almost completed on pc.

its worth $5 if interested. pc version is better, tho it's framecapped @ 30fps and feels very unoptimized ...tho anyone with a modern pc shouldn't have any problems playing it.

so in short, while the pc port is nothing to write home about, its still better than what i saw on PS3 at least.

Thanks, I'll mull it over. Went crazy on the steam sale so ... hmm.

Literally the only difference between the versions is resolution (not framerate) so unless you love the art so much that you need to see it in 1080p+, don't bother.

I consider the game a solid Shit+ experience.

lol. I liked it but I flipped it to gamestop for credit a long time ago. Just wanted it in my collection again mostly.

shame it is frame limited at 30. Its pretty niche now so I doubt it will get the attention it needs for an unlocker.

edit: I think I'll just buy FTL instead.

Sullichin

Dumb Question:
I've got steam on my pc, and macbook (osx). If I install steam for windows on my macbook, and I install Dark Souls, I'll still be able to play it on my PC with no restrictions right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nightsky just got added to my never play, remove from account if ever convenient. How the fuck is controlling a marble like that fun? Let's go through the issues I had up to world 4:

-Shitty control scheme, complete with buttons changing function without warning
-Puzzles changing up the marbles abilities with no warning
-You move from one screen to the next rather than a scrolling screen, but puzzles are set up so that you can screw yourself over immediately as you enter into the next screen if moving to fast
-Janky, unreliable physics
-Shitty checkpoints where you have to go through 3 boring screens only to be screwed over on the 4th repeatedly... forcing you to go through the 3 boring screens again
-At no point was the gameplay compelling/interesting

It feels like a low-tier iPhone game shoved on to PC for absolutely no reason. Barring explicit recommendations from my hand selected taste-makers, I think I am giving up on "indie" games.

Blizzard

Banned
Nightsky just got added to my never play, remove from account if ever convenient. How the fuck is controlling a marble like that fun? Let's go through the issues I had up to world 4:

-You move from one screen to the next rather than a scrolling screen, but puzzles are set up so that you can screw yourself over immediately as you enter into the next screen if moving to fast
-Shitty checkpoints where you have to go through 3 boring screens only to be screwed over on the 4th repeatedly... forcing you to go through the 3 boring screens again

It feels like a low-tier iPhone game shoved on to PC for absolutely no reason. Barring explicit recommendations from my hand selected taste-makers, I think I am giving up on "indie" games.
I volunteer to be a hand-selected taste maker; it sounds like a classy title. How much do you pay?

allansm

After the bundle fever (especially after the 5 for $5 bundles steam offered during a black Friday sale 2 years ago) I learned that unless an Indie game is recommended by trustworthy taste-makers or is made by a company I trust (like Double Fine) they should be avoided. I learned my lesson and I rarely buy an indie game that is crap nowadays.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'd like to learn DOTA but the "learners" or "beginners" area is closed down and I have only the option to go online and face actual people without even playing the game for myself first.

lolnope

That reminds me, I've got a copy of Starvoid. Anyone want it?

Just fucking play. Trial by Fire and Cuss words!

The fact is people still suck with even a 1000 games under their belt. Don't build up anxiety over it and you'll do fine. You got the next 10 years to do that.

Wok

Name some other puzzle platformers, because I thought I generally like those and I disliked Nightsky.

• Starseed Pilgrim
  • Puddle
  • Unmechanical
  • Time Fcuk
  • Waking Mars
  • Closure
  • Snapshot
  • Perspective
  • Toki Tori
  • Fly'n
  • Pid
  • Thomas was alone
  • Logigun
  • Gateways
  • etc.

Yeah, I liked it and I usually dislike puzzle platformers.

Okay, so I am wrong.

After the bundle fever (especially after the 5 for $5 bundles steam offered during a black Friday sale 2 years ago) I learned that unless an Indie game is recommended by trustworthy taste-makers or is made by a company I trust (like Double Fine) they should be avoided. I learned my lesson and I rarely buy an indie game that is crap nowadays.

Nightsky was made by Nifflas, who is not a random indie game maker, and the game was finalist of awarded an honorable mention for Audio in IGF 2011. Okay, an award for Audio is not the best kind of award for this kind of game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
  • Starseed Pilgrim
  • Puddle
  • Unmechanical
  • Time Fcuk
  • Waking Mars
  • Closure
  • Snapshot
  • Perspective
  • Toki Tori
  • Fly'n
  • Pid
  • Thomas was alone
  • Logigun

From that list, the ones I've played:

I enjoyed what I played of Waking Mars, even if its phone roots are kind of noticeable. I've enjoyed Snapshot thus far, though I haven't been focusing on it right now. Toki Tori... well, I'm pretty sure my view of Toki Tori is pretty clear:

iqCuJO66zKYYw.png

A few other puzzle platformers I've liked: Blocks that Matter, Braid, and Vessel.

Nightsky didn't click with me, and basically all the points that Stallion brought up annoyed me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom