• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

allansm

Nightsky was made by Nifflas, who is not a random indie game maker, and the game was finalist of awarded an honorable mention for Audio in IGF 2011. Okay, an award for Audio is not the best kind of award for this kind of game.

I liked Nightsky and Nifflas certainly is on my list of trusted developers. But which developers are trustworthy and which are not is a personal thing. For example, it doesn't matter how many awards a Dejobaan game gets, I won't like it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Public Service Announcement for those going for the King's Bounty deal at GMG:

The whole series is made for 16:10 resolutions and the engine doesn't have very good stretching abilities. If you use anything but 16:10 the text will be fucked up and everything else not quite crisp. Since I have a 1080p monitor, I run mine windowed (which requires an ini edit) in 1680x1050.

Other than that, King's Bounty is fucking awesome! Get it!

Noaloha

My beautifully sterile and empty-souled friendslist on Steam has recently been invaded by GAFfers thanks to the holiday gifting / giraffe-bingoing antics. As such, I suppose now is as good a time as any to go wholehog and plunge into the murky depths of intersocial-gameonics and join the SteamGAF group. By which I mean, can I get an invite? SteamID: deelessthanthree.

<3

jediyoshi

Boo. Last steam beta update is the only one I can think of that just regularly crashes out of nowhere on either of my systems

Sober

My Steam recommendation:

A truly awful game that I refuse to believe anyone on the dev team actually played. Pretty much every aspect of the game had me shaking my head in disbelief. The level design is tedious, the combat system is just plain broken, and the port itself is barebones and demands far more power than it should just to hit the 30 fps limit. Even the art is bland.

I just can't imagine anyone wanting to work on a project like this. It must have been about as rewarding as staring at a spreadsheet all day.
Yeah, wasn't worth the 12$ I got it for. Play an actual Total War game instead.

I'd like to learn DOTA but the "learners" or "beginners" area is closed down and I have only the option to go online and face actual people without even playing the game for myself first.

lolnope

That reminds me, I've got a copy of Starvoid. Anyone want it?

you can play games against bots. The bots aren't really bad players, they emulate a beginning tier player pretty well

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I never knew this either. Then again, looking at the playtime of people on my friends list, perhaps it's best I never try.

I was insanely intimidated by Dota 2 not too long ago, but wanted to play it. Here's what I did, and now I hang pretty well in any matchmade game I get.

1) Watch this
2) Pick an easy character e.g. Crystal Maiden or Lion. Via the "Learn" tab in the game, review what their abilities are
3) Play a co-op bot match. Perform terribly.
4) Try again. This time, go to www.dota2wiki.com and look at your hero's page. Review the recommended items to buy in-game for him/her.
5) Slowly get better in co-op bot matches, and eventually try matchmaking.

The game is intimidating but really not all that hard and it's fun as hell.

1-D_FTW

I was insanely intimidated by Dota 2 not too long ago, but wanted to play it. Here's what I did, and now I hang pretty well in any matchmade game I get.

1) Watch this
2) Pick an easy character e.g. Crystal Maiden or Lion. Via the "Learn" tab in the game, review what their abilities are
3) Play a co-op bot match. Perform terribly.
4) Try again. This time, go to www.dota2wiki.com and look at your hero's page. Review the recommended items to buy in-game for him/her.
5) Slowly get better in co-op bot matches, and eventually try matchmaking.

The game is intimidating but really not all that hard and it's fun as hell.

Nice info. Not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole, but I'll definitely follow this advice if I give it another shot.

feel

Do any of you fine ladies or gentleman have an extra copy of Far Cry 3 perhaps?
I think I speak for everyone when I say that no, we don't have free copies of recently released, $50 games to give away. Plenty of Dota 2 invites though if that interests you.

Sysgen

First time I've seen this dialog. Huge addition.

SteamCloud_zps7e9b2fb9.jpg

Sober

Nice info. Not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole, but I'll definitely follow this advice if I give it another shot.
That or pick a handful (around 2 to 5) characters you think you'd think you like after trying a few out - either the same type or something and read guides or watch matches/replays of people using them well to see where you should go.

Yeah, this game kinda takes a lot to just to get in, it's kind of why I stopped only after 30 hours and after way many more back in Allstars.

Prezhulio

Choose wisely when you see this screen. I lost progress more than once when it popped up.

Sigh, wish this would have popped up for my dead island and Alan wake saves. At least then I could have blamed myself for overwriting something instead of the system.

Still haven't gone back to either since I lost tons in progress in both.

Sysgen

Sigh, wish this would have popped up for my dead island and Alan wake saves. At least then I could have blamed myself for overwriting something instead of the system.

Still haven't gone back to either since I lost tons in progress in both.

There are many programs like this of course, this is just the one I use. Just point it towards your Google drive or similar and you're set. It also keep multiple backup folders. Just tell it how many you want.

http://www.dirsyncpro.org/

PaulLFC

Just picked up F1 Race Stars for £4.85 from ShopTo! Not sure how good it is but for that price I'm willing to find out.

I did see they're charging £3.59 per track for DLC though, which is insane.

First time I've seen this dialog. Huge addition.

SteamCloud_zps7e9b2fb9.jpg
Wow, they've finally added times to both files - I remember being presented with this a few weeks ago and the descriptions being "yesterday" and "yesterday". Helpful...

Just bought King's Bounty: WotN for $6 on GMG. Dayum.

Haven't played any of the KB games so I'm hoping I'm not missing anything important if I jump straight into this one.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Read the manual PDF that is in the game's folder unless you have played HoMM games.

Nabs

Just picked up F1 Race Stars for £4.85 from ShopTo! Not sure how good it is but for that price I'm willing to find out.

I did see they're charging £3.59 per track for DLC though, which is insane.

Wow, they've finally added times to both files - I remember being presented with this a few weeks ago and the descriptions being "yesterday" and "yesterday". Helpful...
They added that months ago.

PaulLFC

Does anyone know if Tropico 4 DLC was Steamworks, or it it for retail copies? ShopTo have the new Vigilante DLC for £2.84, but they don't mention whether or not it can be activated on Steam.

They added that months ago.
Weird. It definitely didn't show up for me, I remember posting a screenshot in here to see which option to choose as neither of them had time information.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nightsky was made by Nifflas, who is not a random indie game maker, and the game was finalist of awarded an honorable mention for Audio in IGF 2011. Okay, an award for Audio is not the best kind of award for this kind of game.

This is just so beautiful.

I've previously backed up both Borderlands 2 and Dishonored to my portable hdd. Now I want to restore them from my portable hdd, but there's no steambackup file for me to restore them like the other games I have. Is there a way to restore them back?

Mairu

Anybody play through Prototype? Seems like it crashes every time I load a save. One workaround that I found was that if you make a new game before loading your old game, it'll work... do I really have to make a new game every time I start up? :|

didamangi

I've previously backed up both Borderlands 2 and Dishonored to my portable hdd. Now I want to restore them from my portable hdd, but there's no steambackup file for me to restore them like the other games I have. Is there a way to restore them back?

Open the backup and restore on steam and point them to your backup folder. It should detect the games.

Le-mo

My friends and I finished Trines 2 today and had a blast. Are there any games similar to that? Has to be co-op with 3+ players and no zombies.

Another problem. It's asking me to insert disk 2, but Im using a portable hdd and there's no option select my hard drive! Think Im stuffed now.

it's ok i fixed it. I chose disk 1 to install instead of just the dishonored folder.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anybody play through Prototype? Seems like it crashes every time I load a save. One workaround that I found was that if you make a new game before loading your old game, it'll work... do I really have to make a new game every time I start up? :|

I beat it on Win 7 or 8 64-bit zero issues, including saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom