• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

mgG6Z.png

Keep some money, guys. Something might be coming sooner than expected. The link is this one.

I'm sorry I have an opinion? I'll keep in mind to shut up instead in the future.

You have an opinion, but you don't want to give reasons for it.

JohnDonut

Banned
You have an opinion, but you don't want to give reasons for it.
My reasons for my opinion? Okay, I can do that. My opinions on it is that they are shallow, buggy, and ultimately boring videogames about things that in my mind occupy the same quality level as a 3D farmville game. I find the style mundane and low budget. The fact that it is #1 on steam is shocking to me, because that means that people seem to enjoy it, when the games have done none of that for me. Maybe it actually is the best game ever and it's worth your money, but I'm never going to not (at least in my own mind, not saying I'll post about it) be dismissive of games of this type. You know Bad Rats? That was my experience with similar simulator games in this vein. Maybe ETS2 breaks the mold? Anyways sorry for making you mad.

Derrick01

Banned
Alright now that we've got the reasons why sim games shouldn't exist at all out of our system, would something like this control fine with mouse and keyboard? I'm not going to be able to get a wheel for a long time probably but if it's still more than functional then it'll be enough for the time being.

It's the management elements that make me interested in these simulation games, it's what I liked more than anything about Farming Simulator 2013 as well, which was one of my honourable mentions for GOTY.

Can't you run your own company in this? I thought I saw something like that but I tried not to spoil too much, although maybe it was just naming the company. I did see there's upgrade trees and quite a bit of truck customization.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So this 10000000 game just came out on Steam. I've heard a couple people sing its praises in the ios thread but those guys can't be trusted.

Is it any good?

It's a great way to kill 5 minutes on the crapper, I wouldn't ever sit down and dedicate real time to playing it though.

Caerith

My reasons for my opinion? Okay, I can do that. My opinions on it is that they are shallow, buggy, and ultimately boring videogames about things that in my mind occupy the same quality level as a 3D farmville game. I find the style mundane and low budget. The fact that it is #1 on steam is shocking to me, because that means that people seem to enjoy it, when the games have done none of that for me. Maybe it actually is the best game ever and it's worth your money, but I'm never going to not (at least in my own mind, not saying I'll post about it) be dismissive of games of this type. You know Bad Rats? That was my experience with similar simulator games in this vein. Maybe ETS2 breaks the mold? Anyways sorry for making you mad.
I have no interest in Sleepy Dogs, for the same categorical reasons, but I'm not about to call it a piece of shit just because I didn't like GTA3 once upon a time. Because, really, why would I bother spewing shit about something I haven't played?

HoosTrax

Alright now that we've got the reasons why sim games shouldn't exist at all out of our system, would something like this control fine with mouse and keyboard? I'm not going to be able to get a wheel for a long time probably but if it's still more than functional then it'll be enough for the time being.

Can't you run your own company in this? I thought I saw something like that but I tried not to spoil too much, although maybe it was just naming the company. I did see there's upgrade trees and quite a bit of truck customization.
I distinctly remember reading in the PCGamer review for the game that there was something related to running your own trucking company.

Santiako

So this 10000000 game just came out on Steam. I've heard a couple people sing its praises in the ios thread but those guys can't be trusted.

Is it any good?

It's my favourite iOS game, but as others have said, I can't imagine playing that on the pc, it is great for 5 minute breaks and the bathroom.

It's a great way to kill 5 minutes on the crapper, I wouldn't ever sit down and dedicate real time to playing it though.

It's my favourite iOS game, but as others have said, I can't imagine playing that on the pc, it is great for 5 minute breaks and the bathroom.

Very much agree. It is a pretty awesome iphone game whilst it lasts but if I'm sitting at a PC it isn't something I would want to be playing.

HoosTrax

I don't think I could deal with more simulated [law-abiding] driving on top of all of the real-life commuting I do every day (if you've ever driven around DC / the Beltway, you'll understand).

A construction simulator sounds more interesting to me. Getting to play with giant, real-life Tonka Trucks and construction machines, and building things.

Search for 'baldurs gate' no results.

So this being on steam now has been discussed to death right? Because baldurs gate on steam is pretty darn awesome. Just a shame about the price (but we all know a sale is never too far away)

HoosTrax

So this being on steam now has been discussed to death right? Because baldurs gate on steam is pretty darn awesome. Just a shame about the price (but we all know a sale is never too far away)
No results because it's called "baldur's gate", with an apostrophe.

I don't think I could deal with more simulated [law-abiding] driving on top of all of the real-life commuting I do every day (if you've ever driven around DC / the Beltway, you'll understand).

A construction simulator sounds more interesting to me. Getting to play with giant, real-life Tonka Trucks and construction machines, and building things.

Wait I can't run cars off the road in my big rig? Well it still looks damned fun and I have other games that will let me cause destruction with a big rig. But a construction sim would be quite a bit of fun as well.

The rather disappointing sounding 'enhanced' edition?

The original is widely available and by all accounts the new one doesn't bring much to the party over a modded version. Plus it's twice the price of the first game and its superior sequel.

Hardly surprising there's a muted response, this ain't a DD of System Shock 2.

Wok

Crazy to think we might be playing Proteus and Antichamber within the next month or so.

I played both games when there was a public demo on the Internet but no big audience yet. It will be really interesting to see how they have evolved during these years.

Is it any good?

I played it for 4 hours straight last night so maybe I'm strange because I didn't play it on the crapper. I think I've almost beat it though...

Wynnebeck

Banned
Euro Truck is out!? Ahhh! I want to play it so badly but not for $35.99. Guess I wait for the next Christmas sale when it drops down to $24.99. -_-

Euro Truck is out!? Ahhh! I want to play it so badly but not for $35.99. Guess I wait for the next Christmas sale when it drops down to $24.99. -_-

I can sell Euro Truck Simulator 2 to you for $15 if you really want it now :)

How good is this game as a simulator?
Looks kinda neat and I think this could be pretty fun for a friend who just got a driver's license for trucks.

dLMN8R

It seems to be getting excellent reviews, and you haven't played it. Your opinion means jack shit if you have literally experience with which you can back it up.

Your only valid opinion is that the game doesn't appeal to you. You're in absolutely no place whatsoever to make any claims about how buggy or poorly-designed a game is that you've literally never touched.

Tomodachi

I think Hotline Miami's hardest chapters are the first ones, I'd say the first 5-6. Then you get the hang of it and play a lot without even thinking (reload reload reload reaload reload etc), much like Super Hexagon, but you get much faster at clearing levels. That's when the game offers its best, imho. It's alienating and numbing, in a good way.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I still remember Stronghold 3 Gold's Metacritic score being taken down about 5 minutes after it went on sale once, and it has never came back.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's the enhanced steam add-on that added the user scores.

I thought about that too, but it isn't showing up in Chrome, either.

Edit: Oh, apparently it updated and required a review of permissions. You can disable the showing of user scores in the extension's options, as I just did.

VALIS

Is it any good?

It's an okay time killer for a telephone game, but on the PC... ehhh. Really underwhelming. I'm not even a "graphics guy" per se, but this game looks jank even on the iPad.

anyone on my friends list said:
So why did you just buy it on Steam, VALIS?

Because I'm a dirty whore.

Joe Molotov

It's an okay time killer for a telephone game, but on the PC... ehhh. Really underwhelming. I'm not even a "graphics guy" per se, but this game looks jank even on the iPad.

Because I'm a dirty whore.

I played it this afternoon and it seemed pretty fun. I have a shitty work PC though, so my options are pretty limited for when I'm "working".

Fireblend

Banned
Just played (saw?) Thirty Flights of Loving.

What the actual fuck?

Anyone got a decent explanation to what just happened? A link to an analysis or something?

I enjoyed Gravity Bone, but this was... well...

What in the world?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Star Wolves 2 key:

For the love of god, don't be a cock juggling thundercunt, post a damn reply saying you took it so other people don't waste their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom