• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblend

Banned
GtoYnvq.png

The Steam community has been acting funny for me these past few days. Anyone else?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
@_@ Gonna have to step out for an errand and won't be back for another 30 mins or so, I'll get the JSR Give-away ready by the time Steam's daily deal goes live.
...and the AKB Idols were literally excited to play Halo Reach, but got GGPOed by Ragna and Hazama from BlazBlue.

Which reminds me...Halo isn't available for PC/Steam right?

Wut?

Halo 1 came out a while ago, ported by Gearbox. Online gameplay was handled by Gamespy, so that still works. Halo 1 serial key also gave you a nice... tag.. background for your name when matchmaking on Halo 3. (i don't know what they're called), so activated ones were going for a pretty penny back then. I cached mine in.

Halo 2 came out as a "Vista Exclusive" game when Vista came out. Multiplayer ran on Games for Windows and Microsoft turned those servers off last week. I don't think you can buy it digitally anywhere, but you can still find boxed copies of it.

Edit: Halo 2 also came in a huge case. It was the width of 2 DVD cases for no apparent reason:

ThU9RZH.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hmm, not completely sure how I feel about that tbh. Like I can imagine alot worse, but I can also imagine a better place for them.

Oh well. Time will tell.

It's arguably the best place for them, as far as current focus goes.

Sega is totally fine with releasing DD-only, PC-exclusive games (including RTS games, a genre most publishers have abandoned). The real problem would be with Sega's long-term health and if they'd close/sell Relic off in the near future.

But compare it to everyone else who may be going after them: EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. All of them are worse. Square-Enix might not be a bad fit, but they would probably refocus the studio to start making "consolized" games.

HoosTrax

Strike Suit Zero got absolutely reamed in the Eurogamer review. Might be taking that one off my wishlist, pending user reviews. They were also harsh in the Scribblenauts review, and although a lot of it was justified, the overall score was lower than I would have given.

The Cave got a above average score (7/10).

morningbus

Strike Suit Zero got absolutely reamed in the Eurogamer review. Might be taking that one off my wishlist, pending user reviews. They were also harsh in the Scribblenauts review, and although a lot of it was justified, the overall score was lower than I would have given.

Heh. They call the game Space Suit Zero in the opening paragraph. I have a few friends who picked it up, so this might be a great opportunity for me to drink deep their tears and replenish my reserves.

As for the Scribblenauts review, 5 out of 10 is a little harsh, but I honestly would struggle to give it anything beyond a 6, personally.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
OH SHIT, CHAOS ON DEPONIA!

@drizzle- Aha, but is it available for purchase in Digital form?

I'd say Halo 2 is available on Games for Windows, I *think* it was back when Games for Windows was a thing and had a proper client and everything, but I can't even tell you how to start looking for PC Games on the Xbox Live website for digital purchases.

Nabs

I'd say Halo 2 is available on Games for Windows, I *think* it was back when Games for Windows was a thing and had a proper client and everything, but I can't even tell you how to start looking for PC Games on the Xbox Live website for digital purchases.

Halo 2 is only available on disc.

morningbus

And that let's you take advantage of their amazing streaming technology that allows you to play the game as it installs!

Games for Windows LIVE - Now that's what I call living! (TM)

Edit: fuck you butt stallion.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Then maybe it was Gears of War that was available on Games for Windows for Digital Purchases? I want to say that I remember one of them was, the other one wasn't.

So yeah, you can't buy any of them digitally, and I think you never will.

Also, I don't believe any other Halo will ever come out for any platform that's not a console from Microsoft.

Then maybe it was Gears of War that was available on Games for Windows for Digital Purchases? I want to say that I remember one of them was, the other one wasn't.

So yeah, you can't buy any of them digitally, and I think you never will.

Also, I don't believe any other Halo will ever come out for any platform that's not a console from Microsoft.

That's Gears of War, you can buy it for digital download

HoosTrax

Edit: Halo 2 also came in a huge case. It was the width of 2 DVD cases for no apparent reason:

ThU9RZH.jpg
Most PC games of that time period came in those fat DVD cases. Drove me nuts having a game consisting of one DVD and a little piece of cardboard explaining where to find the manual PDF on the disc.

cicero

21 dollars? Are they out of their damn minds?

yeah, it is a pretty bad deal considering that everything but Nights could have been bought from Amazon for $10 during the Holiday sales. I am going for that SEGA Megadrive Collection Series 5 for $1.50 deal though. I held off on the $5 Amazon compilation because I already owned the rest and knew the individual packs would eventually drop down. When it comes to deals, trigger discipline is everything.

morningbus

Anyone who preordered South Park on Amazon or GMG might want to cancel their orders.

Let's see how it pans out before we call for a rush on Ubisoft.

1) It would take a lot of additional work to swap out Steamworks for Uplay at this point.

2) Ubisoft has published Steamworks games before, under similar situations where the I.P. was owned by another party.

Not saying it won't happen, but no need to cause a panic yet.

szaromir

Banned
If anyone wants to buy the THQ Pack (on Amazon) but isn't interested in Space Marine (or already has it) I'll buy it for $5 (same if someone already has a spare key of course). I've just realized it might not be available for sale anymore. :(

Tizoc

Should I get Chaos on Deponia now or just wait for the Daedalic bundle to go on sale? I already have the first one.

If you want all those games, wait for the bundle to go on sale, otherwise get it now or wait for it to be a flash/daily deal during the Summer/Winter sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom