• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
~1 hour for normal countries is like ~10 hours in Australia.

Feel ~bad for them.

Weird, I visited the US and UK Steam Store sites and they both said ~10 hours. The release countdown timer must now be IP-based.

Edit: The page still read 9 hours when I visited it with Spotflux enabled. In any case, why must Sega endeavour to make Australia hate it? There is absolutely no excuse for a digital-only title not releasing worldwide at the same bloody time.

Sober

CS:GO just added a straight-up deathmatch mode. So hyped to try it.
So none of the gungame stuff, just straight up shoot dudes, die -> respawn -> keep going?

Seems cool, wondered what that update was. Dunno if it'll take off real well because CSGO isn't stricken with unlock fever, so I'm sure most people will just play normal game modes as usual.

Weird, I visited the US and UK Steam Store sites and they both said ~10 hours. The release countdown timer must now be IP-based.
Seems like the steam countdown is just a placeholder to cover the delay, Ron Gilbert tweeted it would be at 4pm PST which is in less than an hour.
And now as I'm writing this there is no countdown timer. Is it out?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So none of the gungame stuff, just straight up shoot dudes, die -> respawn -> keep going?

Seems cool, wondered what that update was. Dunno if it'll take off real well because CSGO isn't stricken with unlock fever, so I'm sure most people will just play normal game modes as usual.
I'm gonna grind out some weapon achievements in it. It will certainly work better than gun game in that respect.

Gav47

Is this new?

HHpASQd.png

No more staring at "Steam is updating..." wondering how long it'll take.

Is this new?

HHpASQd.png

No more staring at "Steam is updating..." wondering how long it'll take.

The Steam for Windows update procedure switched over to the new content delivery system most likely. The OSX and Linux versions were already on it and Valve did a beta for the Windows version like 2-3 months ago.

JaseC

Seems like the steam countdown is just a placeholder to cover the delay, Ron Gilbert tweeted it would be at 4pm PST which is in less than an hour.
And now as I'm writing this there is no countdown timer. Is it out?

Ah, nice. The game is downloading at the moment. With any luck it shouldn't take ~9 hours to complete. :p

Just noticed that I had 4 chat messages that were unread in the notifications. This is when I am logged in via browser and not the client. So yeah browser steam chat now in the beta will lower my work productivity even more then the mobile client.

Spazo

yep, just noticed it too.

http://steamcommunity.com/chat/

Also, offline messaging is now available. Can't seem to get it to work in the client chat, just the web chat.

With this Steam Client Beta, we've also made some changes to how we organize and announce beta updates:

Added a new Community group for following and discussing Client betas: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta
When a beta update is available, the update dialog will now show Steam Client Beta changes instead of showing only the released client changes.

Client changes:

Offline messaging: You can now send messages to users who are offline. They will receive the message when they next log in.
Opening a chat dialog with a friend will show some recent chat history
A web chat interface is available, you can find it by navigating to the Steam Community Friend Activity page in your web browser. NOTE: during the beta, web chat users will show as "Online on Mobile Device".
fixed several issues with scroll bars in the store and community views
Added a caps lock warning indicator to the login dialog password textbox
Removed "/me" chat command, which allowed some users to modify the color of their chat text
Fixed forum links opening in external browser windows
Reduced retail install time when reading from optical disc on Windows XP/Vista
Added support for better content sharing between games
Mac: greatly reduced CPU usage and power consumption
Mac: fixed command-W and other keyboard shortcuts
Mac: fixed bugs with window management and the Window menu

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements

dot

Wow, offline messaging? Nice.

Still need a proper chat log instead of recent chat history (or maybe that's what it is).

JaseC

With this Steam Client Beta, we've also made some changes to how we organize and announce beta updates:

Added a new Community group for following and discussing Client betas: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta
When a beta update is available, the update dialog will now show Steam Client Beta changes instead of showing only the released client changes.

Client changes:

Offline messaging: You can now send messages to users who are offline. They will receive the message when they next log in.
Opening a chat dialog with a friend will show some recent chat history

A web chat interface is available, you can find it by navigating to the Steam Community Friend Activity page in your web browser. NOTE: during the beta, web chat users will show as "Online on Mobile Device".
fixed several issues with scroll bars in the store and community views
Added a caps lock warning indicator to the login dialog password textbox
Removed "/me" chat command, which allowed some users to modify the color of their chat text
Fixed forum links opening in external browser windows
Reduced retail install time when reading from optical disc on Windows XP/Vista
Added support for better content sharing between games
Mac: greatly reduced CPU usage and power consumption
Mac: fixed command-W and other keyboard shortcuts
Mac: fixed bugs with window management and the Window menu

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements

Fina-fucking-ly. Proper chat logs can't be too far off, then.

amrod

Start up Steam and get

HeZSx19.png

Click Restart and Get

pPzdgGc.png

Then

I9EeIC6.png

Then it starts back up at the top image... Its stuck in a endless loop

Jawmuncher

Got a question regarding PC game chat in general. (Figured I'd ask here since this is basically pc gaming thread)

Was wondering is there anyway to make it so that chat is through headphones and all other audio is from the speakers?

I heard Skype and a USB headset allow for this but not sure how to set it up. I play on a tv so hearing friends through the tv is kinda annoying

esai

Got a question regarding PC game chat in general. (Figured I'd ask here since this is basically pc gaming thread)

Was wondering is there anyway to make it so that chat is through headphones and all other audio is from the speakers?

I heard Skype and a USB headset allow for this but not sure how to set it up. I play on a tv so hearing friends through the tv is kinda annoying

cant you change audio output settings under sound playback or under skype settings itself?

cicero

Amazon updates from Tony:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10415671&postcount=2322
Amazon DVG Deals said:
I just heard back from Microsoft. Some things have changed

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10415792&postcount=2353
Amazon DVG Deals said:
oh sorry, did I leave you guys hanging???

Everything was approved the only thing that changed was Age of Empires being added to the EC list at $9.99 pre coupon.

Edit: ;)

Cheers,
Tony

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10415837&postcount=2374
Amazon DVG Deals said:
Sorry dates are sunday-sat next week. deal of the week. fyi responding from mobile. Aoe is the product I linked to before.

Cheers,
Tony

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10415940&postcount=2395
Amazon DVG Deals said:
$9.99 pre coupon for both. We don't have keys for the Fable 3 DLCs yet so we will launch that bundle when we get them (might be later than Sunday) .

Everything else is in place and exists.

Cheers,
Tony

So to recap, we are getting these, ALL of them activate on Steam:

MS Arcade Bundle - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon)
  • Deadlight
  • Insanely Twisted
  • Iron Brigade
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Toy Soldiers

Fable Bundle - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon)
  • Fable: Lost Chapters
  • Fable 3
  • Fable 3 DLC

Age of Empires Complete (Does NOT require GFWL!!!) - $9.99 ($4.99 after coupon)

chixdiggit

my skype settings look this way when i plug in my microphone to the front and speakers to the back.
the second output is the mic.

And this allows you to hear just game chat through the headphone? While all other audio goes through speakers?

esai

And this allows you to hear just game chat through the headphone? While all other audio goes through speakers?

yeah. i get skype and vent on headset and all other sounds through my speakers. the only thing i cant separate are steam sounds and steam chat.

Jawmuncher

my skype settings look this way when i plug in my microphone to the front and speakers to the back.
jUvdLWTx76hsz.png

the second output is the mic.

Yeah I get it but even with my rear speakers and headset In front it does the same.
My headset isn't USB so that might be it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom