• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
Virtually all of the older games added to Steam in recent times are the GoG versions, and the older Tomb Raider games fall into this category.

They're DRM-free on Steam, too.
Ah, OK. Didn't know that. Although TR games have been on Steam for quite a while, haven't they?
Though for me 7.5 euro>10USD, so it's still cheaper on GOG.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
FU Jasec.

<3

Ah, OK. Didn't know that. Although TR games have been on Steam for quite a while, haven't they?

They were added to GoG last May but saw a belated release on Steam in November.

Though for me 7.5 euro>10USD, so it's still cheaper on GOG.

Yeah, I don't agree with 1 Euro = 1 USD being the default currency behaviour on Steam, and there was a lot of outcry when this policy came into place several years ago. Props to the devs who take the time to price things on Steam EU more reasonably. If I lived in Euroland, I'd probably have to enlist the help of a trusted GAFer to be my Steam NA wingman.

leadbelly

Banned
GtoYnvq.png

The Steam community has been acting funny for me these past few days. Anyone else?

Yeah. Community has been really slow of late as well. I guess it was because they were adding new community features. I've noticed an issue with my friends list for a few months. There are occasions when it can show the incorrect status of people on my friends list. I noticed once that a friend shown as 'offline' on my list, but 'online' on their profile. I thought that they might have blocked me. It seems like that is how block would work: offline on your friends list but online on their profile as that is public. It was just really laggy and they eventually appeared though.

In fact blocking on Steam doesn't even work like that (if you've ever messed around with it). It's something I found out quite recently. I don't think I like the way it works actually. Basically, if you block someone, they can still see your status, feed, and profile just as normal. They can still see when you're online, in a game, or whatever. The only difference is, when they try to speak to you, their message will be blocked. Of course if you've blocked them, then maybe you don't mind seeming a bit rude because you never answer their messages. lol

I guess I can see the benefit of doing it like that. It means the person you block may not know you have blocked them at all. I don't really like it though. The reason being, it gives the pretense that you can still interact with that person when you can't. If you're not comfortable with me speaking to you, remove me. The thing is as well, if you ever suspect someone is blocking you, it's very easy to find out anyway. Go to their profile, click on their friends list, and you won't be there. You will appear to the person who is blocking you at the bottom with 'blocked' written in red underneath. To everyone else you won't appear there at all.

I personally wouldn't want to see the status of a person I can't interact with anyway. If you're not comfortable with me speaking to you then remove me. Please remove me. Don't feel bad about it, I would prefer it.

Tizoc

Got all my keys, but my bro doesn't want the other 9 of them in the bundle lol. OK. Kinda regret getting him Skyrim and New Vegas if he was gonna flake on the rest of the bundle for payment lol. Extra keys, gotta figure what to do with them.

Whatcha got atm that you don't need/want if you don't mind me asking?

szaromir

Banned
Yeah, I don't agree with 1 Euro = 1 USD being the default currency behaviour on Steam, and there was a lot of outcry when this policy came into place several years ago. Props to the devs who take the time to price things on Steam EU more reasonably. If I lived in Euroland, I'd probably have to enlist the help of a trusted GAFer to be my Steam NA wingman.
At least there are plenty of alternatives for me now, between Amazon's deep discounts, GMG charging in USD in my country, Polish stores also having often attractive prices, frequent indie bundles, GOG finally having robust library, I can purchase occasionally on Steam without much annoyance.
Back in 2010 when Steam was the only serious option things weren't so rosy.

I still have just under £30 in my Steam wallet, over from when I loaded it up during the winter sales. I'm either gonna go for Devil May Cry or The Cave. I'm leaning towards DMC, I've only ever played the first one, but loved it, and I do really like the look and style of the remake. Though, reading up above it seems the game hasn't been properly unlocked yet.

Similar situation with me (Although I picked The Cave up from GMG earlier in the week). Was holding onto the £30 in case anything popped up on sale I wanted, but I've realised I'm not really waiting on anything to drop and wouldn't mind DmC from everything I'm hearing and trying the console demo, so just used the last of my Wallet on it.

The Cave is amazing, but I can't see myself going back to it once I've finished it with all the characters which likely won't take a huge amount of time, whereas I can see me getting a lot of playtime out of DmC.

The other alternative if you can spare an extra couple of pounds is get both, use your Wallet to get DmC then get The Cave at GMG for £8 using the 20% off voucher (Doing it the other way would work out cheaper, but would negate what you have in your wallet).

JaseC

Maybe I'm LTTP on this but did anyone else notice the web version of steam now has a chat client?

That was rolled out a couple of days ago. On a similar note, the Steam client beta now has offline messaging and recent chat history.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
OK, I just came back from my vacation, haven't got home yet and already bought Condemned from GMG 2 minutes ago. I guess this is what 10 days without a PC make :/

Any way to change which email address is associated with Steam? I've been looking through my account settings on the website but cant find anything for it.

JaseC

Any way to change which email address is associated with Steam? I've been looking through my account settings on the website but cant find anything for it.

Within the client: Steam -> Settings -> Change contact email address.

Hey guys, I've been downloading L.A. Noire all night long but when I woke up, I saw it paused after 8.9 gigs and I couldn't start redownloading again.

I've restarted Steam, but there's nothing on "downloads" and when I double-click L.A. Noire it starts downloading again from scratch :/ However, everything I've downloaded is in the "downloading" folder.

I've tried validating the caché and restarting Steam again, but it didn't work. Can anyone help me? I wanted to start playing it today, godammit :(

JaseC

Hey guys, I've been downloading L.A. Noire all night long but when I woke up, I saw it paused after 8.9 gigs and I couldn't start redownloading again.

I've restarted Steam, but there's nothing on "downloads" and when I double-click L.A. Noire it starts downloading again from scratch :/ However, everything I've downloaded is in the "downloading" folder.

I've tried validating the caché and restarting Steam again, but it didn't work. Can anyone help me? I wanted to start playing it today, godammit :(

- Cut/paste the LA Noire folder outside of the downloading folder
- Uninstall the game from within the client
- Move the LA Noire folder into steamapps\common
- Install the game

Steam should detect the existing data and only download what's needed (if anything).

Tizoc

How's War in the North, is it a decent TPS action/RPG game? Worth getting for $4 if I'm looking for a LotR game?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I played on one such dreaded thing and it oddly worked perfectly. I'm sure you have some specific thing your talking about but, that statement always comes off so ridiculous to me.

My friend and I both played through in Coop, both on 5870's and the framerate would frequently dip into the 1 frame per *several seconds* whenever certain lighting effects occurred.

It may be restricted to the 5000 series, or maybe ATI fixed it at some point in the future. Regardless it was a fucking mess.

My friend and I both played through in Coop, both on 5870's and the framerate would frequently dip into the 1 frame per *several seconds* whenever certain lighting effects occurred.

It may be restricted to the 5000 series, or maybe ATI fixed it at some point in the future. Regardless it was a fucking mess.

Hey thanks for the clarification, that sounds horrible.

One cool thing about that game were the environments, pretty decent atmosphere.

Are Chivalry achievements bugged? I got an in-game message about receiving some warrior one for completing the tutorial but I didn't get either of the Steam achievements.

I want my recognition for not sucking, dammit.

KarmaCow

Are Chivalry achievements bugged? I got an in-game message about receiving some warrior one for completing the tutorial but I didn't get either of the Steam achievements.

I want my recognition for not sucking, dammit.

Yea the tutorial achievements along with some other ones aren't working.

To be honest, I've held off playing it partly for that reason.

JaseC

I hate to be "that guy", but if anybody wants to offload a Dishonored key, I can offer $15 as well as the unwanted games (everything but Deadlight) from Amazon's MS Arcade bundle once it's live.

Full disclosure: I have the RHCP (Russia/Hungary/Czech Rep./Poland) version of the game, but as you might expect it's not compatible with DLC sold outside of Eastern Europe, which is why I'm after a rest-of-world copy.

Edit: Sorted. :)

dishonoredx2aep7u.jpg

Cheers, I snagged the Naval War DLC for a buck.

Nabs

Greenlight stuff:

Construct 2 - Free (limited)

You can be a game developer! Construct 2 redefines game making and allows everyone to make their own games - no programming required.
Construct 2's intuitive editor makes it straightforward to bring your ideas to life. Share and publish your games on the web and a wide range of devices.
Join the Game Making Revolution!

No Time to Explain - $7.49 (-25%)

No Time To Explain is a game about Time Paradoxes, Jetpack Guns and Ribs In People's Eyes. It's a comedy platformer featuring great music, voice acting and gameplay that becomes more ridiculous as you go.

Saggy

Is it worth it to pick up the Tomb Raider collection for $15? Never played any of them before, but always been interested in doing so.

Tizoc

Is it worth it to pick up the Tomb Raider collection for $15? Never played any of them before, but always been interested in doing so.

Well if you want to play something more 'modern' get Legends, Ann. and Underworld, they're pretty good. The older games might not click with newcomers to the series. One of the main highlights of the TR series is 'isolationism' in that its just Lara and the area you're playing in, solving puzzles and advancing through the stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom