• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

buhdeh

10 minutes is too little time for a game like this. On one hand you think the game has no debt and is just spamming a big sword. But then you find some of the expert players and how they dominate.

When you are with people that are into the game it really is amazing. I would love to get it but i dont think the price is right. Plus it needs a bit more polish.

On the other hand, ten minutes with the free weekend was all I needed to know I NEED this game. Was really skeptical during the sales but I'm sold now.

Nabs

Boy am I glad about the free Chivalry weekend, since I found out that it is not the kind of game I would have enjoyed, had I bought it (I only played 10 minutes and it was enough to make me uninstal it). It looked pretty nice though and it's funny to watch videos of people playing it.

Wow, 10 whole minutes.

KarmaCow

Oh wow I didn't realise Sleeping Dogs had so much DLC. I just bought the Microsoft Arcade pack, I'll wait for the GotY version of Sleeping Dogs.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Radeon HD 7770, i3 3220, H77 mobo.
I don't think your CPU is up to it. The game seriously runs like shit. The worst of any game I have played, even Metro 2033, which wasn't a problem till I went to higher settings.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I don't think your CPU is up to it. The game seriously runs like shit. The worst of any game I have played, even Metro 2033, which wasn't a problem till I went to higher settings.

That sucks big time. It looked interesting. Thanks!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

What? I could run Train Simulator smoothly on my shitty $500 laptop.

Lain

Wow, 10 whole minutes.

10 minutes too much, if you ask me.
Had I impulse bought it as I was so close to do during the Winter sale, I would have been pissed off, because Chivalry turned out to not be the game I was thinking even if it's a cool game. It simply isn't the game for me to play, so I'll be content watching videos of people playing instead.

Nabs

10 minutes too much, if you ask me.
Had I impulse bought it as I was so close to do during the Winter sale, I would have been pissed off, because Chivalry turned out to not be the game I was thinking even if it's a cool game. It simply isn't the game for me to play, so I'll be content watching videos of people playing instead.

What were you expecting?

Boy am I glad about the free Chivalry weekend, since I found out that it is not the kind of game I would have enjoyed, had I bought it (I only played 10 minutes and it was enough to make me uninstal it). It looked pretty nice though and it's funny to watch videos of people playing it.

Same here.. been watching the game but hated the free weekend.. bought sleeping dogs instead.

Lain

What were you expecting?

I'm not even sure myself. Probably something a bit more straightforward and simpler control wise.
While watching someone be there, moving around trying to kill his enemy/enemies and all the stuff going on around was fun and at times humorous in certain videos, actually being the person doing it just didn't feel all that fun for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was hoping that Squeenix would go out with a bang and discount its catalogue titles more on the last day. Oh well.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just for context, what is a game that amazes you?
I haven't been thoroughly amazed for a long time. For stealth, I was introduced to the Thief games just last year and those amazed me. Arkham City grew into amazing me as I played through it. SSF4 was amazing in that it was actually good. In atmosphere or beauty of level design maybe some parts of Tomb Raider Anniversary or Underworld. When I played the NES Maga Man games for the first time a couple years ago the quality in the simplicity was amazing.

That's not exactly what I meant, though. What I mean is that the hype around Mark of the Ninja has a level of intensity that I did not feel. For me it was a "hey, this is fairly clever" and yes, I suppose when you stop and think about how long ago something like Chaos Theory or Peace Walker was, it has been a long time since we had a quality stealth game. However, it has been a while since we had ANY stealth game (okay, Human Revolution if you choose to play that style, and it's great), and I don't sit around frothing at the mouth for more stealth games, and MotN doesn't come close to those classics. So if I'm talking about "stealth games" especially, the game is not a stand out because there simply haven't been many and the others were better.

Mark of the Ninja is a quality... cute... puzzle-ish... game. It is finished quickly and has some surprises, yet kind of holds itself down. I tried going for some high-level play and it just wasn't there to be had. High scores were a matter of absolute tedium (getting guys to pass by you, then distracting them, then killing them, hopefully scaring half with the other half, then hiding the bodies) and speed runs were easy and/or muddled by controls that weren't at all designed to be pushed like that. And the linearity of 2D design made anything after the surprise of the initial playthrough rather flat and prescribed. A big element of high-game stealth is dynamic between you and the enemy, the dance, something greatly hindered by 2D.

Games that really impress me typically open up more and more. Even if I don't end up going there all the way myself (Super Meat Boy), if I see that it will, that sticks with me. My #1 thing is and always has been the dynamic between my direct control and the challenges the game puts me through. If it's static, and I think Mark of the Ninja is, that isn't something of greatness. If it's always shifting and keeping me on my toes, yet gives me tools for freedom and precision to step through it masterfully, that is beautiful. Stealth games have gone there, action games have gone there, racing and fighting games often go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom