• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know they were still operational. That's where I bought my launch Dreamcast, which was £10 off RRP, but came with £200's of £10 off pre-order vouchers.

Away from DmC, there's so many cheap digital games.... Be still my beating wallet.

I ordered NFS: Most Wanted from Simply Games before Christmas. My code was emailed within 20 minutes so no complaint there.

Caerith

Did you also get an email saying a game on your wish list is on sale? Mine opens itself when a wishlist game is on a deal.
No, I turned notifications off ages ago and haven't noticed a correlation between items I want going on sale and the steam app randomly starting up. I mean, yesterday was OMD which I already have.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mine is more like 90% GAF, 8% people I met from other games, 2% people I know in real life. PC gaming isn't very popular here.

Yeah, I only have like two or three real people on my Steam friends list. The rest are all internet people. If I wanted to play with RL friends I'd have to stick to playing only Halo and Call of Duty on XBL.

Derrick01

Banned
My friends list is probably 80% GAFFers and 20% people I know in real life.

I only have people I know. Dunno why but that's always kind of a thing I've kept doing over the years. I don't see the value in a list of people if I'm not going to talk to them or play anything with them, which I won't if I don't know them. It'd feel like I'm mimicking those girls on facebook who have 9000 friends.

No, I turned notifications off ages ago and haven't noticed a correlation between items I want going on sale and the steam app randomly starting up. I mean, yesterday was OMD which I already have.

The other day the normal desktop Steam client switched me from offline to online and opened the chat for the GAF Steam group.

I only have people I know. Dunno why but that's always kind of a thing I've kept doing over the years. I don't see the value in a list of people if I'm not going to talk to them or play anything with them, which I won't if I don't know them. It'd feel like I'm mimicking those girls on facebook who have 9000 friends.

Doesnt sound much different than posting on message boards. You dont know any of us in real life.

I mostly keep GAF'ers on my list, even thought I generally only play SP games. It's nice to see what other people are playing and for things like Leaderboards, etc.

It's also interesting to watch JaseC's quest to buy Steam

Caerith

The other day the normal desktop Steam client switched me from offline to online and opened the chat for the GAF Steam group.
When do pre orders start for Nancy Drew and the Haunted Desktop?

Doesnt sound much different than posting on message boards. You dont know any of us in real life.
But at least none of our avatars are duckface?

kennah

I'm that way for my Facebook. It's all people I know, and even then a lot of it is work related. The only reason I joined FB in the first place was I started missing calls for gigs. I think I have only three or four people total that I haven't met in real life, and all of them I've known for at least 10 years online.

HoosTrax

I don't recognize this currency...did they pay in Rubles?

dota2x.png

Edit: oops I just made up a currency...FU Zelda!

dreamfall

I really enjoy having GAF on my Steam list- to gift games and also just to really enjoy their screenshots on the Friend tab. Comment here, comment there.

Bit of a solitary gamer, so don't do much multiplayer anything!

Caerith

I really enjoy having GAF on my Steam list- to gift games and also just to really enjoy their screenshots on the Friend tab. Comment here, comment there.

The new community page makes having lots of friends, even if you rarely talk to them, fun.

Same here. I like to watch what pc GAF is playing. One thing I noticed is that many are stockpiling a massive Steam backlog. Time to play those games people!

Blizzard

Banned
Actually does Steam notify people if you remove them from your friends list? Or do you just quietly stop showing up on their list?

I think it might be time for some spring cleaning.
You already removed me and it gave me no notification, you monster.

I've been culling my friendlist every few weeks, so if you're still there, feel privileged. You're basically guaranteed to always have a place on it if we've played Left 4 Dead together.
I think we played like 10 years ago along with ALL ABOARD THE MIDNIGHT TRAIN, but I don't know if we're still friends. If only I had left L4D/2 installed! =(

Friend drama aside, I think the last time I tried to get a Jedi Knight game running on Vista or 7 I failed miserably, but it might be time for me to try it again.

Sanjay

I don't recognize this currency...did they pay in Rubles?

dota2x.png

Edit: oops I just made up a currency...FU Zelda!

huh Rubles is the Russian currency. Rupees is the currency used in India / Asia and in Zelda as they realize that one day after world take over, Rupees will be the chosen currency of use.

This is how I treat steam friends. Facebook is way different. That has my real name and pictures of me, I don't want randos on that. But steam is just if I want to see what people are buying or if someone wants to play some dota or anything.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So remind me why doesn't valve just open dota 2 yet? Anyone who wants to get in can.

Because it still requires more effort than hitting "install" on the store page, so it throttles the amount of people trying to access their servers. It's also not finished yet and, often, you only have one shot to make a good impression on someone.

Tizoc

Alice: Madness Returns is the daily deal going for $7.49. Grab it if you're looking for a 3D Action Adventure Platformer. Be forwarned that each chapter is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.
...but overall its a good game, reptitive combat but has amazing graphics and visuals.
Somebody post that GIF of Alice's hair plz?

Tomodachi

Alice: Madness Returns is the daily deal going for $7.49. Grab it if you're looking for a 3D Action Adventure Platformer. Be forwarned that each chapter is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.
...but overall its a good game, reptitive combat but has amazing graphics and visuals.
Somebody post that GIF of Alice's hair plz?
This one?

ibSOnM5IBRcM2.gif

I think the game is definitely worth the price, it's true that the levels are long but they get shorter towards the end and more interesting. The really crappy ones are in the middle. Really nice looking game, enjoyed it a lot despite its flaws.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you could remove like 50% of the content in Alice it would be a good game.

As it stands, it's boring and tedious. Solid art design can only carry you so far.

ArjanN

So remind me why doesn't valve just open dota 2 yet? Anyone who wants to get in can.

They probably think people wouldn't like Steam servers being down for a solid week from the sudden spike in traffic. This way they can do it in a much more controlled way that doesn't break everything.

FloatOn

I think this Alice game would be one of the ones my wife wouldn't be completely annoyed by if she saw me playing it. (she isn't a fan of the shootbang)

howlongtobeat.com says it takes around 13hrs. which isn't so bad.

decisions!

Caerith

Haven't played Madness Returns, but the original Alice had one of my favorite features in a 3D plat former: jump aiming. Before you jump, you see a faint set of footprints for where Alice is going to land. It really curtailed a lot of potential frustration.

I was just thinking about how much I miss that feature when playing Lego LOTR and going for certain mithril blocks in the Dead Marshes and Mordor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom