• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For anyone who wants some slow-burn but immensely interesting horror in ther life, the excellent Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is $5 on GamersGate for another day, and redeems on Steam: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CCDCE/call-of-cthulhu-dark-corners-of-the-earth

My one suggestion is to apply this patch, which makes the game look prettier and makes a couple of areas in the game that are a bit trial-and-error far more fair: http://steamcommunity.com/app/22340/discussions/0/882965239933238214/

But Call of Crhulhu is a fantastic game that does justice to Lovecraft's works, and has a slow burn element that gets progressively more interesting and insane as the game continues.

My Humble guesses:

Dust: AET. (Mac/Linux/PC)
Guacamelee. (Mac/Linux being tested)
Papers, Please. (Linux being tested)

I could keep going, but there's no way this bundle could be so good. Right?

Dust as 1$ Tier is a given.

But Guacamelee or Papers Please only as BTA. But i dont think they will be in this bundle. Even trough it would fit for Humble Indie Bundle X (Anniversary yeah.).

denx

My guesses for HIB X:

- Dust
- The Bridge
- Gunpoint
- Don't Starve (don't know about this one honestly)
- Monaco (damnit, I'm actually not sure about this one either. It uses Steamworks matchmaking?)
- Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Retrograde (scratch Chivalry, as it is a game that needs to be tied to Steam to work)

My guesses for HIB 11:
- Guacamelee
- Spelunky
- Papers Please
- Valdis Story
- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
- Gone Home

My guesses for HIB X:

- Dust
- The Bridge
- Gunpoint
- Don't Starve (don't know about this one honestly)
- Monaco
- Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

My guesses for HIB 11:
- Guacamelee
- Spelunky
- Papers Please
- Valdis Story
- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Those would be some fantastic bundles.

Lain

I won one of those. Thanks! Managed to put some 15 minutes into it so far, very promising indeed. And I like the fact that you can choose difficulty, I might not play it on the hardest difficulty but at least I can finish the game.

Congrats! I played on normal myself, I'm not good enough to play on harder difficulties, not yet anyways =p

Anteater

speaking of valdis story this electric platforming place is annoying

balelosesit_a_gifsoup9wujx.gif

inm8num2

Won't be any more hints because of the new distribution system. Giving out keys meant that retail subs etc. had to be created, which is how leaks were found before.

Ah I keep forgetting about that. I just hope Don't Starve isn't in the bundle, since it was so cheap during that sale glitch. ;)

Turfster

That's the problem with buying so many indie games, I guess.
I look at all those guesses and go "well, I already have 90% of those games, so I hope it's not that" =p

Just for the record, this is what SteamGAF has been playing for the past two weeks.

cSyvcsm.jpg

I contributed some hours to CS:GO, maybe. :lol

Every game that doesn't allow to be installed on another folder, or uses the "common" folder, or leaves trash on the Steam shared folder... that's all going to your SSD.

Every piece of software that doesn't keep tabs on their files and keeps everything organized (and I'll give you a hint: Every piece of software sucks terribly at it) is leaving traces on your SSD. Hell, my Steam installation is on my l:\ folder, along with all the games, and i STILL get massive amounts of files under "my documents", "my games", "my documents/games", so on and so forth.

Why would I want to leave ANOTHER place to gather all kinds of random and leftover files, like the main Steam installation, on my small SSD?

Agree completely.
Plus I try to keep anything that doesn't need to be reading and writing to the SSD to the other drive -- I thought about putting my browsers out there too, but that seemed a little extremist... I figured the benefits of Steam/Origin being installed to my D: drive was totally worthwhile though.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I hope the bundle delivers, I have a good feeling. I don't even mind if a bunch of the games I've bought recently are included as they've all been enjoyable and the more people that get to play them the better.

For anyone who wants some slow-burn but immensely interesting horror in ther life, the excellent Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is $5 on GamersGate for another day, and redeems on Steam: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CCDCE/call-of-cthulhu-dark-corners-of-the-earth

My one suggestion is to apply this patch, which makes the game look prettier and makes a couple of areas in the game that are a bit trial-and-error far more fair: http://steamcommunity.com/app/22340/discussions/0/882965239933238214/

But Call of Crhulhu is a fantastic game that does justice to Lovecraft's works, and has a slow burn element that gets progressively more interesting and insane as the game continues.

I never managed to finish it.
I was stuck in the Shoggoth fight/escape, when you have to open a lot of doors before it comes crashing on you. No matter what I did and how fast I did it, I was always too slow.

That said, I installed it a couple of weeks ago, and want to go back and finish it. It was a pretty cute and interesting adventure game, with some real, legitimate scares
like escaping from that hotel

Will install this patch for my next playthrough.

cicero

Well if you will have a Steam username that is sooooooo different from your GAF one, how am I supposed to know it's you?! >:|

*cough* Apologies denx :) I have added a nickname of "denx GAF" now so I won't have that excuse again :). Nice to have you on board! I apologise for any offence you may take to my politically incorrect and sexual innuendo laden screenie captions
You do know that you can also tag friends into their own groups, right? I have all my GAF friends in their own GAF group.

I contributed some hours to CS:GO, maybe. :lol

Agree completely.
Plus I try to keep anything that doesn't need to be reading and writing to the SSD to the other drive -- I thought about putting my browsers out there too, but that seemed a little extremist... I figured the benefits of Steam/Origin being installed to my D: drive was totally worthwhile though.
That's sorta exaggerated though. I mean, to completelly use all SSD cycles, you would have to write GBs and GB's of data every day, 24/7. nowadays, most modern ssd's can be used for 30 years with normal use.
And even if someone would still want to be cautious, just move the saves folder to the hdd too, like i did.
For example, not related to steam, i moved my browsers cache to my hdd, seeing that it's something that written and rewritten all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom