• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiguel182

Even if I didn't play a lot of it Starbound is a great choice. I'm still waiting for the final character wipe to really sink my teeth into it.

9th place now!

Any Spelunky pros want to drop some knowledge for a new player?
I've written some general guidelines the past few days. Nothing too specific, but if you played Dark Souls before then the lessons you learned about patience will pay off in Spelunky as well.

With the mention of Lost Planet 3, I feel obligated to share the wonder of the emoticons that come with crafting the badge (or for 3 cents on the market which is what I did):

Jim
Gale
Braddock

Magnificent.

There's also this guy, but he's 16 cents, and the joke isn't worth it.

These and the Resident Evil 6 floating heads are just wonderful though.
I've got you beat. Here's the very first emote I unlocked when trading cards were introduced:
knight

I really can't comprehend why Valve thought it'd be a good idea to resize them to such extremes, when the source images are bigger when you browse through the inventory menu. Almost every single one of them looks like shit because of this.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The Starbound lovetrain would have loved to make it to accept their award as #10, however none of the cabal could pull themselves away from their addiction. Their presence is sorely missed in the festivities and we wish them all the best.

MRORANGE

Starbound is probably the most out of place game in the top 10, It most likely scored highly due to the fact that it comes from the same people who did Terraria and hype train that is currently following the game, as it's still in beta, hence why it was hard to find a good word about the game from Steam reviews.

Nonetheless it was released in December and has done very well.

Tellaerin

Starbound. hehe

I was interested until I heard it wasn't Finnish. >.>

Seriously, though, I definitely want to get it. I just felt it was kind of tough to justify right now when I've hardly even scratched the surface of Terraria yet. I'll probably pick it up during a sale sometime down the line, when the price is lower and the game's more feature-complete.

Jørdan

Starbound? It was released three minutes into the vote starting. Still, going to be a fantastic game when fully developed and one I'll no doubt spend an ungodly time period playing.

Nabs

Starbound is going to be so good when it's done. I played a bit via Family Sharing and can't wait to pick it up after a few major patches.

zkylon

zkylewd
brothers reminds me of the cave of all things for some reason

I mean it's a puzzle platformer of sorts, but also it has this feeling that everything you're doing is kinda not so good, specially later on.

I was kinda unimpressed at first but now I'm kinda liking it

ibvOgjaYPie1JW.png

8th place in a few minutes...

Do you want longer intervals or is this pace okay?
yay you immortalized my shitty review :3

also gone home should've been higher :/

oipic

Starbound is a great game but i'm just waiting for the next updates. I don't want to burn it before it is released in its complete form.

The next update (soon) is seemingly bringing the final character/world wipe, so it'll then be time to get really stuck into it, I reckon. There's a lot to play with already, despite it not yet being complete.

Tesseract

Banned
the teleglitch dream is dead, no way it pulled more votes than starbound. i am for the second time today extremely dissatisfactions.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gotta play Gone Home. I've heard good things.

denx

The pace is ok MRORANGE.

From what I've read, Starbound is right now just Terraria in space... which is completely fine by me because I love Terraria. However I'm not gonna pick up the game until it is further along in development. I'm especially interested in the FTL-like space combat system they want to implement.

As for Gone Home, no comments, haven't played it yet. However, I'm optimistic it won't be as pretentious as Dear Esther.

ib0oR8ecWjvc4r.gif

Wheel 'em out, ORANGE. Nice n slow.

:eek: I actually know where a gif is from for once! \o/

Yep. Earlier today I was one click away from getting that collection for $9.99 but for some reason decided not to do it (Facepalm).

30 minutes later I come back and poof
gone :(

Don't worry, unless you wanted to play them NOW!!! It will be as cheap again before you know it.

ibvOgjaYPie1JW.png

8th place in a few minutes...

Longer.
Always longer.
*cough*

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Gone Home was a delightful way for me to make up for all those years I didn't rifle through my family's shit out of morbid curiosity of what deep dark secrets I'd find. Best use of environmental storytelling and "logs" yet.

Ballin soundtrack, too.

If anything could speed it up. I mean we all voted for these games so they have probably been discussed to death.

Unless the last of us pops up it is either going to be "yeah that game was good" or "I haven't got around to playing it yet"

Wok

I was interested until I heard it wasn't Finnish. >.>

Seriously, though, I definitely want to get it. I just felt it was kind of tough to justify right now when I've hardly even scratched the surface of Terraria yet. I'll probably pick it up during a sale sometime down the line, when the price is lower and the game's more feature-complete.

For a few minutes, I thought you were from Finland.

Dr Dogg

Pacing is cool, one every 10 minutes.

Really wished I picked up Gone Home on the Humble Store earlier. Might be a bundle contender though.

Got the feeling I'm going to be significantly adding to my wishlist by the end of the night.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Intervals are good.

And Gone Home was one most saw coming, but wholly deserved. Actually expected to see it higher. Great atmosphere, well-done story, and in my opinion, the best element is how lived-in the house feels. It feels like a real house, that people live in, and interesting how you can put the story and untold tales by things in the environment, and was really immersive.

It was also made in Portland, Oregon, the city I live and was born in, so that's a plus~

cicero

So these Amazon $5 credit promo's are basically worthless this year, at least so far. I remember them showing much cheaper game discounts in the past.

Pretty much. People keep going on about waiting for more updates and while that's true, we knew about a lot of the good deals before the sale even started the last two years. Most of the prices right now are outright terrible much less a "deal".
We knew hardly any of the month long deals they had last year at the start of that sale. Why do people keep complaining about a promotion that has only started, that is still being put together as we speak, that has and will have shifting game selections and temporary discounts, and that has been run like this previously with great success?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Good choice of Gone Home. It did a good job getting a lot of players invested in the family and toyed with their expectations. While not the greatest in all of media, it's a nice step forward in recognition and amount of people playing in games I haven't seen since those old text adventures which used standard novel book techniques.
I personally love telling a story in games through what is left around, be it picking up a photo in this game or scanning a log in Metroid Prime, it's a wonderful way of telling extra story and making you feel the world is alive, rather than just a set piece for your character to do whatever actions they do.

Can't say anything about Starbound. I just don't like crafting so much.

Wok

Gone Home is great, but it is a surprise to me that it was selected. It just shows that GAF has especially good taste. I hope I won't regret saying this after I see the next votes.

cicero

Yep. Earlier today I was one click away from getting that collection for $9.99 but for some reason decided not to do it (Facepalm).

30 minutes later I come back and poof
gone :(

Go on CAG and ask Tony directly to bring it back, he actually does respond to feedback like that.

The_Monk

Never played any of them, but I want to try them both (I remember, I think it was Li Kao saying that I really needed to play Gone Home). Bring me Number 7! ;)

The little box-quote review snippets are a great touch, Mr O. Well played, Sir. :)

Indeed :).

I was super tempted to troll you guys with TLOU at the No .1 spot of the Steam GOTY.

It's not remotely possible though so it would have been a pretty crappy troll. The best trolls, like lies, are those that are close to the truth.

:eek: Not that I'd know anything about either of those of course!

*cough*

sprinkles

I don't remember if I picked Gone Home in my Top 5, but it is deserving to be in that list. A better, more interactive Dear Esther-like experience, very enjoyable for around two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom