• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezard

My guesses for HIB X:

- Final Fantasy XIV
- Call of Duty: Ghosts
- Painkiller Collection
- Battlefield 3

BTA:
- Battlefield 4

Come on Humble let's do it!

Benedict

Wonder if we will see an oddworld humble bundle (JAW). They have some games on Steam and are working with New'n'Tasty to be released soon.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
BMIVZxS.jpg

Gurren Lagann reference in Risk of Rain. Nice since GL was exactly what I thought about when I saw a drill item drop. :p

maneil99

ModBot said:
Instructions for maneil99:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (maneil99, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gunman Clive -- MB-C47E1BE2D22DCDDE - Taken by VikasNarula. 22 entrants total.

t1388869992z1.png

First game from the tip jar, not much sorry :(

Is there a thread on gaf for uplay friends? Need to populate it for AC4.

Also, won Valdis, made my day :)

I seriously doubt it but if anyone would know it would be JaseC. I think he is the only regular here who is not too ashamed to admit that they use uPlay.

You do know that you can also tag friends into their own groups, right? I have all my GAF friends in their own GAF group.

Yes thanks :) but my friends list is 100% pure GAFer so no need \o/.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
My guesses for HIB X:

- Final Fantasy XIV
- Call of Duty: Ghosts
- Painkiller Collection
- Battlefield 3

BTA:
- Battlefield 4

Come on Humble let's do it!

That doesn't make any sense, especially the Painkiller part.
lawl

Man, Capcom really doesn't seem to give a shit about some of their latest PC releases. Remember Me has Steam Achievements but it doesn't have trading cards while Lost Planet 3 has trading cards but it doesn't have Steam Achievements, which seems like the weirder omission.

So these Amazon $5 credit promo's are basically worthless this year, at least so far. I remember them showing much cheaper game discounts in the past.

Kovaelin

Man, Capcom really doesn't seem to give a shit about some of their latest PC releases. Remember Me has Steam Achievements but it doesn't have trading cards while Lost Planet 3 has trading cards but it doesn't have Steam Achievements, which seems like the weirder omission.

I really liked Remember Me. I was going through a "futuristic cityscape" phase, and for some reason I got a bit of a Hydrophobia Prophecy vibe from it too.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Spark Unlimited was busy making their only worthwhile game to date with LP3, cut them some slack lol.

So these Amazon $5 credit promo's are basically worthless this year, at least so far. I remember them showing much cheaper game discounts in the past.
Pretty much. People keep going on about waiting for more updates and while that's true, we knew about a lot of the good deals before the sale even started the last two years. Most of the prices right now are outright terrible much less a "deal".

With the mention of Lost Planet 3, I feel obligated to share the wonder of the emoticons that come with crafting the badge (or for 3 cents on the market which is what I did):

Jim
Gale
Braddock

Magnificent.

There's also this guy, but he's 16 cents, and the joke isn't worth it.

These and the Resident Evil 6 floating heads are just wonderful though.

Turfster

Holy shit, I still remember all these names from Enclave... and the music. The amazing music...
Also, the Steam version is basically DRM-free and can be run without Steam being active. Sadly, the windowed mode does bad things with the Z buffer.

I really liked Remember Me. I was going through a "futuristic cityscape" phase, and for some reason I got a bit of a Hydrophobia Prophecy vibe from it too.
That's kinda insulting to Remember me.
Hydrophobia Prophecy was pretty bad =p

I used 2 of them so far (final exam, crysis 3) but nothing mind blowing yet.
I'm hoping for something really good, as I still have ton remaining.

Pretty much. People keep going on about waiting for more updates and while that's true, we knew about a lot of the good deals before the sale even started the last two years. Most of the prices right now are outright terrible much less a "deal".

I used 2 of them so far (final exam, crysis 3) but nothing mind blowing yet.
I'm hoping for something really good, as I still have ton remaining.

Wake me up when that shows up :p.

Just noticed I won Revengeance. Holy crap! I'd make a backlog joke but there's a small mob behind this giveaway. I will definitely be playing this come Thursday.

Anyone know how to specify which drive to pre-load to? It won't let me select my usual HDD.

Turfster

Just noticed I won Revengeance. Holy crap! I'd make a backlog joke but there's a small mob behind this giveaway. I will definitely be playing this come Thursday.

Anyone know how to specify which drive to pre-load to? It won't let me select my usual HDD.

You can't, it goes to the steam drive (unless you junction the depotcache dir)

Any Spelunky pros want to drop some knowledge for a new player?

Pro? Most definitely not.
But I do know some of the tricks... a lot of the stuff is world/situation specific though... where are you finding you have the most trouble?

Some general tips:
(1) Get as many bombs as possible. Hoard them and use them judiciously. They will make your life easier and your runs better.
(2) Learn enemy patterns and behaviour. Knowing how to deal with every enemy is an absolute must -- this way you can evade, lure, attack, etc. as necessary to deal with these pains in your ass.
(3) Pick up every bit of gold/money/jewels you can. You may think "oh, well, going back 3 seconds to grab that 300 point gold drop isn't worth it... but when you do it all the time, it adds up... this way you can easily buy the most expensive items in the shops.
(4) Jetpack.
(5) Shotgun.
(6) 4 and 5 should probably be higher in the list, if this is in terms of importance. They will give you powerful ranged attacks to deal with just about any enemy and the manuverability to avoid what you need to.
(7) Always rescue or sacrifice the damsel if it's not ridiculously out of your way to do so.

There's a ton of techniques thare are well beyond my skill level (ghosting gems for crazy money, taking on the army of shopkeepers so you can kill/loot/steal to your hearts content, etc.)... and there's a ton of situational stuff... so if you want to know specifics, post it up in here.

Or add me and message me on Steam and I'll help if I can.

So far Remember Me is my game of the sale. Absolutely loved the world, haven't felt that compelled to take that many screenshots in a long time. My only real knock against the game was the combat system was a bit too limited, they had a lot of neat ideas that they could improve upon in a sequel that will likely never happen.

Spark Unlimited was busy making their only worthwhile game to date with LP3, cut them some slack lol.

Yeah, Lost Planet 3 is not bad, it feels like I'm playing through a bad 80's sci-fi movie as a space trucker, with a shotgun.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

this is what happens to people that backlog Rising

tumblr_mdbbmqjAZN1qzqt8do1_500.gif

MNC

Everybody does it. The system is working as intended - Family Sharing allows you to share some games on your account with people you log with your account on their computer. Offline mode allows you to play games while offline. Only way to enforce the limit of people playing the game at once is checking online to see if the other player is online. Since he's in offline mode, there's nothing wrong with it. But people abuse it, by sharing with people other than family. And like, with 5 people.

The way I see it, this will either end up with us losing the ability to family share (by publishers flagging their game to not be a part of it) OR losing offline mode completely.

The first scenario is more likely.

And just so you could save 2 dollars on Don't Starve.

It's a pretty sad affaire, but in the end there's virtually no change (regarding single player games) with this exploit and regular FamilySharing. It's a minor nuisance you can't play both games at once, which gets replaced with losing all major online Steam functions if you play via exploit. People that want to buy a game will still buy it in the end, though I won't judge publishers flagging their games as non-shared, it seems the next logical (but negative) step forward (backward?).

yuraya

Wow the XCOM Collection went back to standard price. What the hell is going on. They haven't added any new games either.

Yep. Earlier today I was one click away from getting that collection for $9.99 but for some reason decided not to do it (Facepalm).

30 minutes later I come back and poof
gone :(

MRORANGE

ifL5w53oRNP3g.png

Please remember to also vote in the GAF Games of the Year 2013, as it has PC and Digital Download specific awards as well.

Welcome to the first NeoGaf Steam GOTY Award. This award is given to the game that SteamGAF has considered to be the best title
of 2013. Before I can go into the numbers here is a reminder of how the results were determined and some statistical data.

• Up to 5 games were allowed for each person to pick.
  • Each game was either awarded 1/2/3/4/5 points in descending order.
  • Games had to be from ‘2013, Early Access’ or games re-released during that year were also allowed.
  • The poll lasted for 10 days between 9th December to 19th December 2013.
  • Overall the poll turnout was: 166
  • The number of valid voters was: 165
  • Disqualified votes was: 1
  • 158 games were submitted.
  • The number of voters equated to 16.3% of the people who posted in the Steam 2013 VIII thread.
  • 6 voters did not post in the Steam 2013 VIII thread at all.
  • If a game was tied in points the 'average point score' (APS) determined who the winner was.
  • Modbot was banned from voting, due to the fact that he is a bot.

ibiwwnuTJjzote.png

So without further to do here, are the results of SteamGAF’s 2013 game of the year awards starting from 10th to 1st place:

ibyMZipoXXe3Bm.png

9th place in a few minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom