• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Is your Steam profile visible? I noticed that it stopped tracking my activity when I set my account to Friends Only, and started tracking again when I switched it back to Public. I think your account may need to be set to Public in order for Playfire to "read" it.

It is public. Not sure what else could be going on.

It's the first link in faq, actually.

How odd, I ctrl+f'd and couldn't find it.

derExperte

It'll have a tick next to the reward if it's been deposited in your GMG account. If it hasn't, make sure you've logged into your GMG account recently - a small niggling issue with the beta at the moment.

We don't offer rewards retro actively, which is why we think it's important to also focus on new releases. So you need to have unlocked the achievements for Deus Ex between 13/03/2014 00:00:00 and 19/03/2014 23:59:59. If that's correct then please contact CS so they can investigate. I'll take a look at the FAQ and see if it addresses this clearly, make amendments if necessary.

Wait, not sure if I get it 100%. I checked my (new, made 15 minutes ago) Playfire account and it says on the rewards page "£8.05 earned to date" and there are achievements listed that I did years ago like Alien Swarm but the date on the page says 02 Apr '14 for everything. Do I get those credited to my GMG account?

Pssst, we're giving away thirty copies of the original Half Minute Hero in the Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming |OT| today.

Zafir

I'm apparently stuck until they decide to add GMG and Playfire account linking. >.< Mind you it's not like I had that much credit anyway.

Arthea

Pssst, we're giving away thirty copies of the original Half Minute Hero in the Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming |OT| today.

Seriously? *runs to check*

edited: totally misunderstood, I thougt you are giving away second game lol
still very nice giveaway

derExperte

Very cool. I already own the first one but why not give away a few of those in here too? That combined with a link to the OT should garner more attention for the game.

Arthea

Yup. And by "we" I meant the producer of the game, I'm just ModBotting them so that they are given away in a civilized fashion.

For the moment I thought you are giving away second one lol
I bought first game 5 times, actually, some for gifts, 2 for me! (><)
Anyway, really nice of them to give first game away as a way to promote second one.

For the moment I thought you are giving away second one lol
I bought first game 5 times, actually, some for gifts, 2 for me! (><)
Anyway, really nice of them to give first game away as a way to promote second one.
I am probably up there with you. I bought the PSP disc and at least one as a gift (possibly more), then I bought a digital copy once I got my PSP Go and of course the Steam version, which I'm sure I gifted a few times when it was 75%.

Naturally, I've been in a constant state of excited vibration ever since the first "teaser" tweets came out in October.

Finally, I can release all that excitement on Friday.

Knurek

Despite the fact that buying The Ship nets you two copies of the game to pass on, it has no online community.

It is known that any indie MP only game will be dead sooner than a woman during period taking a swim in a piranha infested lake.
I just can't understand why do they keep releasing them.

Zafir

Thanks, I'll avoid it.

Another thing I'm confused about guys. I have a Sony HMZ-T1 and would like to play games in 3D, but do I need the Nvidia 3DTV Play software in order to enable that functionality? And is it bundled with GeForce GXT 780 (I just got that video card)?
You need that software to play games in 3D on a 3D TV, yeah. I'm not sure about the 780, but I had to buy it for my 660TI and I'd assume any other card you would have to buy it. Only the base 3D vision is free because nvidia is getting a cut when you buy the 3d glasses kit anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It is known that any indie MP only game will be dead sooner than a woman during period taking a swim in a piranha infested lake.

"Someone has to strike gold sooner or later and it's going to be us!" :p

Natural Selection2 and Chivalry (vanilla not the supposedly crap dlc) seemed to be fine last time I played them

They don't pull dota2 numbers obviously, but they have a hardcore dedicated fanbase. I think it depends on the appeal.

Aliens/spessh muhranez/chopping head off with swords appeal to a hell of a lot more people than a slow paced whodunnit where everyone is a killer.

Jawmuncher

I wonder if that idea has been in any horror movies. Must have been in piranha 3DD surely.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think red orchestra 2 gets some decent numbers

i played some natural selection and it was pretty quick to find matches too. cool game, i don't spend too much time with multiplayer games that aren't league of legends but it was pretty alright

killing floor counts?

Wow, Bob, I hope that didn't hurt.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Magicka Wizards of the Square Tablet -- MB-BA8EB2337DE8C889 - Taken by cardinalmind. 7 entrants total.
Bob Came in Pieces -- MB-12B551297FD67F85 - Taken by Stumpokapow. 11 entrants total.

t1396449406z1.png

nampad

Thank you The_Super_Inframan for Takedown Red Sabre. seems like I am very lucky these past giveaways.

Is the online community of The Ship active?

Unfortunately no. I just recently got it in a bundle and was very intrigued by the concept. Looking at the server browser, I couldn't find any servers :/

Does anyone know how this game plays with just 3 people when I open up a game for my friends and myself?

Parsnip

Signing up for this beta rewards mess on playfire was a pretty damn good idea there, I just checked my rewards page and it has gone back and pulled up a lot of my past achievements and I've earned close to $10USD simply sleeping overnight.

Aw jes.

Huh, I thought Playfire didn't pull from past stuff?

I haven't looked my page, but based on the emails they send me on my weekly balance, it's been sitting on 1.84€ for the past month or something. I don't know if I haven't actually earned anything, or is it just stuck.

JakeD

i found 3 dollars in credit in my greenmangaming account. im assuming the playfire rewards that didn't ever work for me must have randomly gone through. combined with their april fools coupon, i got Goat Sim for $5

Arthea

1C is just Tripwire's retail distribution partner. Think Valve's relationship with EA Partners.

Still, I can't see them as indies, it just doesn't sound right. Indie games are made by people that work on their games in spare time, or sacrifice a lot and don't eat until a game is finished, not someone who goes to an office every day! (><)
I might be wrong about this too, though

The rise of the "indie game" as a genre has sort of muddied the waters. At this point I think "indie" and "independent" as they refer to developers have become two similar yet slightly different terms -- one refers to the video game equivalent of a garage band (e.g. Team Meat) while the other refers to larger studios that have the resources to operate autonomously (e.g. Valve).

I have problem with this, I mean seeing second kind of devs and companies as indie ones. It doesn't really make sense. By this logic every self publishing company is indie, let's say SE! How ridiculous is that?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Still, being without a big publisher doesn't really mean they are an indie studio?

The rise of the "indie game" as a genre has sort of muddied the waters. At this point I think "indie" and "independent" as they refer to developers have become two similar yet slightly different terms -- one refers to the video game equivalent of a garage band (e.g. Team Meat) while the other speaks to larger studios that have the resources to operate autonomously (e.g. Valve).

Knurek

The rise of the "indie game" as a genre has sort of muddied the waters. At this point I think "indie" and "independent" as they refer to developers have become two similar yet slightly different terms -- one refers to the video game equivalent of a garage band (e.g. Team Meat) while the other speaks to larger studios that have the resources to operate autonomously (e.g. Valve).

That is my understanding as well.
You can't really treat a company as indie when they publish other people's work. Independent, sure, just not indie.

Nzyme32

Pretty much the exact situation that occurred in the music industry. Indie - as a genre due to they types of games/music that independent devs/bands produced at the time that independent devs/artists became dominant.

There should be a way to be distinctive of independent and indie. In games development things are a bit different though. The style of games independent studios make most often are due to cost and team restraints. I imagine indie games as a genre will continually change as the tools are more available and cost effective to make games that are not restricted to much of the "indie" styling we see today - rather different from music but sort of similar to film

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Ok, if I use the GMG voucher and my playfire rewards credit and then unlock all the achievements I can essentially get Goat Simulator for free. This seems like something I should definitely do.

Edit: Got another achievement in South Park and have 50p credit coming from signing up to the newsletter, so I'll wait til that's applied. Does anyone know how long the GMG voucher LPLTHA-IK05YA-J2WO1V lasts? It's 20% at the moment.

Double Edit: Sod it, bought.

derExperte

Nothing against solid coupons like 25% off of Octodad that stacks. Unfortunately only valid until the 10th but if there's a sale until then I'm in.

I never get coupons or anything... :(

Want some? 75% Flotilla, 75% Skulls of the Shogun

....ohhhh a Goat Sim booster pack just popped in my face. Excellent.

Been playing Zeno Clash with a controller. I dunno, it doesn't feel right with a controller. It's playable, sure, and I'm almost at the end of it but playing with a 360 pad makes it feel clunky, even with the 360 controller configs I found on the steam forums. Hopefully, ZC2 doesn't feel as janky with a controller as the battle system really feels like it should work well on a pad.

Phinor

I never get coupons or anything... :(

It's not all fun receiving coupons. Half a dozen coupons in the past few days for games I already own. I don't think this system actually works, coupons should only come from crafting badges. If you want to promote your game, discount it. Don't offer coupons to people who already own the games you are offering coupons for.

oipic

BattleBlock Theatre (Theater?) is quite good fun. The narration by Will Stamper is bat-shit crazy, but fits so well.

This is my first look at it - I've only played a little of the story mode locally (haven't touched the online stuff yet), and I ran out of talent a little once the timed levels kicked in... but it's we'll worth a look, I think, if you are in the beta but haven't checked it out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom