• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably out later today.

uc8wHR7.png

derExperte

Probably out later today.

In for Defense Technica
from Modbot

And to get on his good side....

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-BDC6FEC39969461E - Taken by spindoctor. 1 entrants total.
Knights of Pen & Paper Plus1 Edition -- MB-864ABE8E7598B0D5 - Taken by dave is ok. 7 entrants total.
Type:Rider -- MB-1008CA9056D8E9EB - Taken by Gravelord_Nito. 17 entrants total.

t1396455705z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As BlackSoul: Extended Edition is likely going to be included in a bundle, here was some impressions I posted a while ago.

So I've been playing BlackSoul Extended Edition (Steam keys out now for those who bought Bundle of the Damned 2 from Groupees) for the last 6 hours.

BlackSoul Extended Edition is an old-school style survival-horror game made by two brothers from Italy. It originally released on Desura in October of last year, but for the Steam release they have made an 'Extended Edition', which to my knowledge I don't know what it extends, its main features is fixing some bugs, speeding up the main character and enemies walking speed a bit, and adding a new camera mode so you can play the game with a behind-the-shoulder style camera rather than just a fixed-camera angle style (can choose which to play and switch anytime in game).

I was hearing some extremely polarizing opinions on the game before playing, so thought I might leave some of my own here. So, some opinions.

header_292x136.jpg

The first thing that you'll have to accept about the game is that it's small-budget, small team game. It is very rough around the edges. I didn't actually experience any glitches, and the game doesn't look horrible (some of the environments actually look rather nice), but the animations are kind of wonky and I experienced a few crashes with my time in the game. But to the credit of the developers, they have been supporting and updating the title since release, according to a friend who played the game since it first came out and said they'd improved a lot of it since release, and have been responsive on their forums. They say that they'll continue updating the game, and there current goals are to upgrade some of the textures of the game, lower the loading times, and make the animations better.

But if you can accept some rough-around-the-edges things, the game was actually better than I expected, for the most part. It's not an A-class classic-styled survival-horror game like the Resident Evil or Silent Hill series, for example, but it's better in my opinion than a lot of the B and C Tier survival-horror games from the 90s and early 2000s. But it does wear its inspirations on its sleeves at times. There are two scares that have happened that were ripped straight from Resident Evil, and one puzzle I encountered is that fucking piano puzzle from Silent Hill 1, just changed a bit (I really didn't like SH1's piano puzzle). But the game has limited supplies, puzzles, and the sort of thing you expect.

The combat is okay. I find it works a lot better in RE4 style camera than fixed angles, so often will switch the camera for combat sequences. But the fixed-camera origin of the game still shows in this mode, as for example, the enemies don't have weakpoints, so hitting their head equates to the same as hitting their body. But the game isn't hugely combat focused (all enemies are skippable), so it wasn't a huge con for me personally with the mindset it's a survival-horror game and that the behind-the-shoulder camera was added in later to the fixed camera-angles, and it does help at times.

The downside to combat is that, so far, 6 hours in, I've only encountered Zombies. No other types of enemies. There's slow zombies, medium-speed zombies, and sprinting zombies. Based on the character model, some models have more health, some have less, and the faster they are the generally less health they have. I do think the game could benefit from more types of enemies than just zombies, though, but not sure if some other enemy comes into the game later.

Another thing to get adjusted to is if a zombie bites you, you get 'infected', which is like a poison status, and ever-so-slowly drains at your health until you use an antidote. But then sometimes its good to stay infected for a while (as it drains health really slowly) to not waste your antidotes in case you just get bitten again. Using guns can help to stop biting, but you also have a crowbar, which is pretty handy and useful, but of course risks them being close in to bite you. Weapons I've found so far are a handgun, magnum, and crowbar.

ss_b2093335266e4e77160faf4e799342fcc880903a.600x338.jpg

Apparently this game is very long. I'm told it's about 12-16 hours long, which I might believe as I'm 6 hours in and I haven't been to most of the places in the Steam screenshots on the Steam store page yet. There's been three main locations so far though, a small cabin, a graveyard, and I'm currently in an expansive mansion. Generally each area has been better than the last, though the Graveyard might have gone on a bit too long for its own good (I was there for about three hours, but I did have to redo a section as I had crashed somewhere without saving for a while, though that was on me as you can mostly save anytime you want by pausing the game and saving).

The mansion has been the best location so far, and in my opinion the game has picked-up a lot since I got there. More scares ( a few actually got me), atmosphere, very pretty looking, and more puzzles. A few puzzles are brain scratchers, though I noticed for the two hardest puzzles so far there was a 'help' option available to make the game do the puzzle for you. This wasn't for all puzzles, just the two puzzles which I definitely do think were the hardest (one of them was that fucking Silent Hill 1-inspired Piano Puzzle).

The story has been interesting, actually. The character doesn't speak, at least out-loud, but there's a sort of zombie Apocalypse story that's been building up in diaries that I've been reading, which have been both rather well written and interesting to read. I do find myself curious to see where it's going, so that's a plus.

Also the music is actually really good. Like, a lot better than I was expecting. Definitely helps the mood a lot. There's a couple songs that sound like they were more than a little inspired by a few particular Resident Evil and Silent Hill songs (one particular song stands out, that sounds very similar to a particular RPD Station song in Resident Evil 2), but that's not to discredit the fantastic score here. It fits the mood, adds a lot, and the soundtrack has had more songs than I was anticipating as well.

I can't find many of the tracks on YouTube right now, but here's the main theme, as an example:

BlackSouls Main Theme

ss_51d7195b141760060d837b082253adaaa64be11d.600x338.jpg

So far, my overall opinions is that it's an alright to good game. There's some definite flaws showing here, things like the game crashing occasionally and the very limited enemy (singular) selection so far being my biggest mentions. But I am actually enjoying myself, more than I expected myself too. I do find myself thinking I'll be going back to it in the near future, and have the drive to finish it, so that's a good thing. And a few elements it has down very well, music, environments, and a fairly interesting, not wholly original, but still enjoyable story so far told through files.

I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but if you're a gamer with some tolerance for flaws, a bit of patience, and enjoy old-school style horror games (especially if you enjoy not just the best-of-the-best, but also B-Tier and C-Tier entries), there is definitely things to like here. I'll leave full impressions when I'm finished with the game, but thought it was worth getting my thoughts out about this one as its had some polarizing response.

I played a bit further (about two hours) and reached the fourth main location, and it doesn't even seem the game is almost done yet so I can definitely give it credit for its length. I feel there's a few elements of the faster zombies that are cheap with fixed camera angles, and still no new enemies, but the puzzles have been ramped up a bit and they're pretty fun, and the atmosphere in the new area has been pretty good as well, I'd even say it's gotten better.

Pachimari

Nothing against solid coupons like 25% off of Octodad that stacks. Unfortunately only valid until the 10th but if there's a sale until then I'm in.

Want some? 75% Flotilla, 75% Skulls of the Shogun

....ohhhh a Goat Sim booster pack just popped in my face. Excellent.

Would you like 10% off Toki Tori 2? They're excedingly rare, apparently, maybe, probably not, everyone has heaps of them, trashbot is drowning under the weight of them...

Nah, thanks though. I were just wondering why I never get anything.

By the way, if I have Takedown on my Library list but not installed, and have one under "Gifts" in my Profile - does that mean, that I have an extra copy of the game?

Jawmuncher

I'm so beyond confused now with using a external HDD for steam games.
JaseC everything you told me to do has worked flawlessly but the games I moved from the laptop to the HDD are just going fucking nuts. Agarest War for example is still 4gbs on my external. But when I try to play it, it trys to download the whole thing again.

It's just odd since the games that were put on the external in the first place are from my home PC and I haven't had issues with those as far as I recall. There must be some secret process fucking shit up.

aku:jiki

One of the things that has mystified me since joining SteamGAF is that, apparently, the Ecko game has a good rep in these parts? That feels foreign to me because it certainly does not on console.

Jawmuncher

One of the things that has mystified me since joining SteamGAF is that, apparently, the Ecko game has a good rep in these parts? That feels foreign to me because it certainly does not on console.

It's a license game is the only reason anyone cares. Though it's still a decent game all things considered. That one guy from giantbomb gave it a 9 out of 10 or something high like that. Though he might have been high as well when he gave that review out.

Black Souls seems interesting, but votes on Metacritic and comments on Stam game hub are horrible. So, for a SH fan, is the game good?

Its all about the amount of jank you can handle. DuskGolems wrap up sums it up pretty well. Personally i can handle a bit of jank in games and usually find those games are more memorable for it oddly enough. Was the case with Deadly Premonition for me.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
No, no, don't worry. It's Modbot's job to enforce the rules, not the end user's. If ModBot lets you take something, it's ok for you to take it, provided you're not being a mega-jerk.
Oh sweet. Hopefully I wasn't being a mega-jerk. If I was, I'll just bribe you guys to overlook it or something.

JaseC

Just bought Trials Fusion's DDE with keys bought using card money. Thanks, Valve!

I'm so beyond confused now with using a external HDD for steam games.
JaseC everything you told me to do has worked flawlessly but the games I moved from the laptop to the HDD are just going fucking nuts. Agarest War for example is still 4gbs on my external. But when I try to play it, it trys to download the whole thing again.

It's just odd since the games that were put on the external in the first place are from my home PC and I haven't had issues with those as far as I recall. There must be some secret process fucking shit up.

Are you sure you're pointing Steam to the HDD (either directly or via a symbolic link)? The drive letter hasn't changed, has it?

It's just because it's a console port; for some reason all console ports end up overhyped where so-so games become heralded things and great games that get ported create some sort of temporary religious ecstasy.

Ecko's Getting Up is.... okay. Sort of like Remember Me, the combat stuff is pretty boring and just ends up getting in the way of the parts of the game that are more fun.

Jawmuncher

Are you sure you're pointing Steam to the HDD (either directly or via a symbolic link)? The drive letter hasn't changed, has it?

Nope it's the same Drive Letter (steam won't pick up my games if it's not).
It might just need to run through the files and it's just tricking me that it's downloading. But it's a lot slower than it's been for previous games.

Dusk Golem

Black Souls seems interesting, but votes on Metacritic and comments on Stam game hub are horrible. So, for a SH fan, is the game good?

It's not as good as Silent Hill, scrub any expectations like that off your brain. There are some nods to Silent Hill in the game though. Anyways, it's biggest problem is low production value, which results in some clunky animations, and the engine they used (the SS2 Engine) has some problems, mainly for window size (if running windowed), text size, and for some, running the game. It's an old engine that wasn't fully designed around newer computers.

But the game itself isn't terrible. I play a lot of horror games, and I'd define it as a B-Tier or C-Tier title. The best part of the game is probably the music and some of the environments look nice. The notes you on occasion pick-up are also rather well-written and interesting, but so far outside of those there's been no story in the game outside of an opening cutscene. So if you didn't read them, there'd basically be no story period, at least so far (I'm at the fourth main location, about 7-8 hours in). The enemy selection is also limited, with only one type of enemy (zombies) who come with different variations (some move faster, some have more health, etc).

The puzzles are pretty good though, a few brain-scratchers and many of them are fun. There was a sliding puzzle and a puzzle that was basically the Piano Puzzle from Silent Hill 1 though, but some of the harder puzzles have an option to let the game do them.

It's not great, I'd put it in okay to good range, depending on how patient and forgiving of flaws you are. The game has gotten better as its gone on, I think it gets much more enjoyable once you're done with the Graveyard segment, which may run a bit too long.

JaseC

Nope it's the same Drive Letter (steam won't pick up my games if it's not).
It might just need to run through the files and it's just tricking me that it's downloading. But it's a lot slower than it's been for previous games.

Well, when installing a game, if Steam detects the existing data it'll say "Discovering existing files". If that doesn't show during the installation process then the data is in fact being downloaded rather than cross-checked.

Is Half Minute Hero I in any kind of bundle right now?

http://groupees.com/bm12

Jawmuncher

Well, when installing a game, if Steam detects the existing data it'll say "Discovering existing files". If that doesn't show during the installation process then the data is in fact being downloaded rather than cross-checked.

http://groupees.com/bm12

It says Updating Agarest War. but it's locked on 96.0MB out of 4.7GB.
All I can guess is that the update is 96MB and after that it'll check files but it still makes no sense if that is the case.
EDIT:NVM it is updating and downloading it all again. Don't know what the deal is then. since the full install is still on the HDD.

MUnited83

For you.
The Indie Royale: Florida Bundle is coming out today.

Pay the minimum for:

- Defense Technica
- Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure
- Stronghold Crusader HD
- Blacksoul: Extended Edition
- Angvik
- Zombies On A Plane

Edit: Welp, beaten by a hour.

JaseC

It says Updating Agarest War. but it's locked on 96.0MB out of 4.7GB.
All I can guess is that the update is 96MB and after that it'll check files but it still makes no sense if that is the case.
EDIT:NVM it is updating and downloading it all again. Don't know what the deal is then. since the full install is still on the HDD.

Yeah, that's weird. If everything is in place then Steam shouldn't re-download any data unless the files are in need of an update.

aku:jiki

It's a license game is the only reason anyone cares. Though it's still a decent game all things considered. That one guy from giantbomb gave it a 9 out of 10 or something high like that. Though he might have been high as well when he gave that review out.
Oh, but that game isn't going anywhere... Ecko is the one who pushed to get it made, since he's a big gamer himself. I don't think he'll try to pull it or the license for any reason.

Jawmuncher

WAIT HOLD UP STOP THE PRESSES WHAT THE HELL IS THIS

Went to launch Alan Wake to try something and it says
"An update is avalable for Alan Wake, would you like to launch it now, or update the game first?"

Since when did this happen?
Seeing if any other games I have on here need an update that I have fully downloaded.

JaseC

WAIT HOLD UP STOP THE PRESSES WHAT THE HELL IS THIS

Went to launch Alan Wake to try something and it says
"An update is avalable for Alan Wake, would you like to launch it now, or update the game first?"

Since when did this happen?
Seeing if any other games I have on here need an update that I have fully downloaded.

December:

Jawmuncher

December:

Oh thanks for telling me SteamGaf. Here I was sitting on games I thought I couldn't play for the last 3 months. The only person who gets a pass is JaseC since he just told me.

Also yeah I have no clue what happened to Agarest. I'm just going through all my games now and scrubbing what doesn't work. Just realized that some of the games I have on here weren't fully downloaded. But that wasn't the case with Agarest since that came from my last laptop HDD.

MUnited83

For you.
It's just because it's a console port; for some reason all console ports end up overhyped where so-so games become heralded things and great games that get ported create some sort of temporary religious ecstasy.
Wait, what? The PC version got released at the same time the PS2 and Xbox versions were released!

The game is actually pretty good. I bought the physical version years ago and it was quite fun.

Dusk Golem

One last post about BlackSoul: Extended Edition, the music in the game is pretty good, but I can't find any of it online, so I quickly ripped a few tracks and chose a few of them for sampling.

I didn't want to make the video too long, so only picked a few shorter ones (seriously, there's music in this game that goes on for 13 minutes, including this one awesome Silent Hill-esque rock song), but limited myself to less than 8 minutes, but trust me, lot more more music in the game, and I think it's pretty good. The soundtrack is one of the best parts of the game.

But for those who are curious, here's just a few quickly ripped music tracks I hastily put together from the game:

BlackSoul Small Music Sample

I think that's worth mentioning as the music is one of my favorite parts right now, outside of some of the environments, puzzles, and written notes.

radMonkey

Nothing gets added to mine without a ticket and I have to get screenshots of 3 things everytime. I just gave up on it.

Can you log into your GMG account. There's a bug that if the system doesn't think your active your rewards won't be deposited into your GMG account. Log in and check back in 12-24 hours.

Is your Steam profile visible? I noticed that it stopped tracking my activity when I set my account to Friends Only, and started tracking again when I switched it back to Public. I think your account may need to be set to Public in order for Playfire to "read" it.

That's correct, it needs to be public. Also to confirm the earlier comments, we don't have access to your credentials, we just basically confirm that the Steam account you say is yours, is actually yours.

Wait, not sure if I get it 100%. I checked my (new, made 15 minutes ago) Playfire account and it says on the rewards page "£8.05 earned to date" and there are achievements listed that I did years ago like Alien Swarm but the date on the page says 02 Apr '14 for everything. Do I get those credited to my GMG account?

A tick will show next to rewards that have been deposited into your GMG account. Make sure you've logged into GMG first recently. Did you sign-up/link Steam on the 2nd? We give you the benefit of the doubt with your profile update as we can't tell when you unlocked achievements. Alien Swarm is currently a reward that finished on the 4th. There's a deeper explanation a few pages back I think.

I haven't looked my page, but based on the emails they send me on my weekly balance, it's been sitting on 1.84€ for the past month or something. I don't know if I haven't actually earned anything, or is it just stuck.

Check your rewards page, when was the last reward and does it have a tick? What reward did you try to earn? Have you logged into GMG recently? Any extra information would help. Check this KB article for help and troubleshooting steps: https://playfire.zendesk.com/entries/41862466-What-should-I-do-if-I-haven-t-got-my-Playfire-Rewards-

But I've already unlocked Now You Get It. I'm out £0.05! I'll have to sell my Steam account to make ends meet.

People have trouble wanting to run Ride to Hell. ;)

I backdated the rewards to start from yesterday, so you should still get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom