• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

I've heard that game is really, really good but I've also heard it's only great if you're nostalgic for the sorts of things that are in the game, from what I'm told it's very early 90's~

Do you think I'd be able to enjoy it even though I was born in 1995 and won't get the majority of the references scattered around the house?

I'd say thats part of the appeal but in no way the main appeal.

Whether or not you would enjoy the game has to do with if you are okay with no traditional gameplay at all. Nothing. No puzzles...no nada. A non traditional narrative as well. Its basically a walking and letter reading simulator with occasional voice diaries. You piece the general story and the lives of these characters together with scraps basically.

Incredibly affecting for me, but I understand if some people aren't looking for this type of game/experience/whatever.

Edit: Again, the 90's vibe is amazing but in no way the "big deal" with this game. Great setting though. I got some of that nostalgia, but it also brings up memories of childhood and school and my parents and my brother and sister and my friends....etc.

Mugatu

London, Covent Garden:

tJusSQ0.jpg

Blistering barnacles!

Salsa is in Uruguay, IIRC Montevideo. I doubt that it had any impact on his location.

I'm in Brazil, also on the eastern coast so there was nothing here either.

Didn't even know that had happened though, hopefully everything is alright over in the affected areas.

Just saw the news, the earthquake also caused a tsunami and it hit the north of Chile.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
After playing Goat Simulator for about 70 minutes, I can say it's very funny, at least during that time. The physics engine can do some weird stuff, and it's always hilarious to see people and the goat getting stuck in different places and glitching out. Unfortunately the game runs like shit on my PC; with everything on min, it freezes for half a second every 15 or 15 seconds, and that is very annoying.

I'm thinking of getting Ride to Hell: Retribution using card money, but I'm not even sure if it's worth that much. Is it fun to play in a "so bad it's good" kind of way? Is it worth wasting my time with it? Will I get to see some terrible glitches which I can then laugh at?

Good vibes to South America (earthwaquake of 8.2 on Chile), everything is all right? Salsa? Madrugador? Pepper? Rionna? M_Rain?, etc.
I'm from Argentina and it didn't reach here, as far as I know, but thanks a lot for asking :)

I've heard on TV that it reached Peru and Bolivia (though my memory isn't good) besides Chile, so if there's a GAFfer from one of those countries, I hope they are well.

Salsa

brother is from Chile but they're alright since they live in Santiago, just talked to him

shit sucks. Tsunami warnings all over the place too. hope you're all safe

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking of getting Ride to Hell: Retribution using card money, but I'm not even sure if it's worth that much. Is it fun to play in a "so bad it's good" kind of way? Is it worth wasting my time with it? Will I get to see some terrible glitches which I can then laugh at?

The glitches that you can laugh at aren't worth it. Save your card money for something else. The Giant Bomb Quick Look pretty much gives you the highlights of the game and it's only the first 80 minutes.

Salsa

cop reinforcements showing up on PayDay 2 is still one of the best gaming moments of last year man

that amazing music transition + crazy shit action is like videogame cocaine

fernandes

After playing Goat Simulator for about 70 minutes, I can say it's very funny, at least during that time. The physics engine can do some weird stuff, and it's always hilarious to see people and the goat getting stuck in different places and glitching out. Unfortunately the game runs like shit on my PC; with everything on min, it freezes for half a second every 15 or 15 seconds, and that is very annoying.

Is it just poorly optimized or is your PC really dated? The game doesn't look very demanding from what I've seen in most videos. I was thinking of grabbing it but I'll hold off if it doesn't run that well because my PC is in some need of an upgrade.

Soule

What the fuck, I can't believe we're onto a new thread already :\ I don't think I even posted once in the last one. Get busy for a few weeks and suddenly you missed out on 20k posts

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The glitches that you can laugh at aren't worth it. Save your card money for something else. The Giant Bomb Quick Look pretty much gives you the highlights of the game and it's only the first 80 minutes.
Guess I'll do this. Thanks for the link!

Is it just poorly optimized or is your PC really dated? The game doesn't look very demanding from what I've seen in most videos. I was thinking of grabbing it but I'll hold off if it doesn't run that well because my PC is in some need of an upgrade.
My PC is really dated, lol. Though I don't know whose fault is this bad performance. But yes, I'll have to get a new rig one of these days.

Though after looking at the prices of used Tintin books, this isn't going to happen anytime soon. I'm going to have to spend over $100 if I want to grab all the ones I'm missing (and I do want that).

SparkTR

So what happens if we go over the post limit within the month? Will there be a second April thread? Will there be an early May thread? Will there be no thread throughout the rest of April? These are important questions.

Tellaerin

What the fuck, I can't believe we're onto a new thread already :\ I don't think I even posted once in the last one. Get busy for a few weeks and suddenly you missed out on 20k posts

We've moved to a monthly schedule now.

So what happens if we go over the post limit within the month? Will there be a second April thread? Will there be an early May thread? Will there be no thread throughout the rest of April? These are important questions.

My understanding is that if we only go over a little, it'll stay in the same thread. If it looks like we're going to go over by a lot, then we'd get a second thread for that month. Someone else can correct me if I'm mistaken.

I'd say thats part of the appeal but in no way the main appeal.

Whether or not you would enjoy the game has to do with if you are okay with no traditional gameplay at all. Nothing. No puzzles...no nada. A non traditional narrative as well. Its basically a walking and letter reading simulator with occasional voice diaries. You piece the general story and the lives of these characters together with scraps basically.

Incredibly affecting for me, but I understand if some people aren't looking for this type of game/experience/whatever.

Edit: Again, the 90's vibe is amazing but in no way the "big deal" with this game. Great setting though. I got some of that nostalgia, but it also brings up memories of childhood and school and my parents and my brother and sister and my friends....etc.

Absolutely. At it's core, the game is a very touching story about a family that is easy for everyone to resonate with.

Alright, that's good.
A lot of my friends were just saying how nostalgic it was and I was afraid that'd ruin it for me, it's a good thing that it has more than that going for it.

I'm fine with minimal gameplay, so the next time it's on a sale, I'll be sure to pick it up.
Thanks for the responses :)

Adnor

Banned
Status report: There's a 2.074 km distance between Iquique and Temuco, and Temuco isn't a coastal city, so everything is alright here, already talked to my family and everyone is ok.

Fuerza Chile mierda!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Off-topic, but man, I wish "Your Posts" and "Mark Forums Read" weren't next to eachother in the dropdown menu on GAF. I accidentally hit that second one way more than I should and completely lose my bearings. It doesn't help that I just got trolled by the forum itself when it decided to randomly omit "Today's Posts" from the list placing moving "Mark Forums Read" up one making me click it again.

Yeah, I wish Mark Forums Read required confirmation or at least was elsewhere in the list. Due to its position it's too easy to accidentally click.

I think I haven't missed anything, go get them guys!
I hope it'll work with moving to new thread, me editing modbot post and all

Thanks to Arthea for Natural Freebies aka Bionic Dues aka Biggie Dues aka Notorious D.U.E.

If a giveaway expires with unclaimed keys, is it okay to take more? I would like Arcane worlds if noone else wants it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Signing up for this beta rewards mess on playfire was a pretty damn good idea there, I just checked my rewards page and it has gone back and pulled up a lot of my past achievements and I've earned close to $10USD simply sleeping overnight.

Aw jes.

JaseC

Cross posting from the end of last thread

Ms. Splosion Man Steam Achievements. It's happening.

• "name": "Achievement 1"
    "name": "Achievement 2"
    "name": "Achievement 3"
    "name": "Achievement 4"
    "name": "Achievement 5"
    "name": "Achievement 6"
    "name": "Achievement 7"
    "name": "Achievement 8"
    "name": "Achievement 9"
    "name": "Achievement 10"
    "name": "Achievement 11"
    "name": "Achievement 12

God bless my crystal ball. ;) Where do you get this from, anyway? I've seen people mention SteamDB in the past but unless I'm missing something the site doesn't parse data pertaining to achievements and some bloke's sub-site that leaked achievements for a bunch of games last year (e.g. Quake Live) has since been taken down.

dreamfall

Whoa, beautiful thread as always.

Can't believe we're so close to Dark Souls II.

And I may just start Dead Island one of these days...

dreamfall

Better to leave it thinking it still has a chance.

Once you play it, you will both know it is never going to happen again.

Yipes! No love must be wasted!

It's not that bad, but it really should be played in co-op with a couple of friends.

I just might! They seem a bit unwilling to embrace the JANK! It can't be that bad- oh, that CG trailer that it turned out nothing like looked so neat :/

-MD-

I just might! They seem a bit unwilling to embrace the JANK! It can't be that bad- oh, that CG trailer that it turned out nothing like looked so neat :/

Dead Island is really fun in coop, the jank makes it even more hilarious.

Goat Simulator is poorly optimized. Like really poor optimized. Capcom games are looking good in comparison to that. But they probably wanted it that way.

I never ever had a problem with a UE3 game... until this game came along.

I've just finished a bf3 match, there was a player who kept calling the Chinese players faggot, so I clicked on his battlelog profile after the match is done, and he's in a LGBT support group, what the hell?

JaseC

I've just finished a bf3 match, there was a player who kept calling the Chinese players faggot, so I clicked on his battlelog profile after the match is done, and he's in a LGBT support group, what the hell?

"I'm not homophobic, I have gay friends!"

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
London, Covent Garden:

tJusSQ0.jpg
Woah. I need to go to England one day!
Too bad it's called the Tintin shop, it suprises and even kinda scares me everytime I see his English name. He'll alway's stay Kuifje to me, sounds much better then Tintin. The boy's no war dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom