• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

All this economy key business is crazy. Don't wanna tip my toe in, I'll just wait till ASM drops further.

Yeah, it's pretty interesting how it's all just sort of sprung up. I do wonder if anybody's actually using these keys or are they just being passed back and forth as currency.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Chaos Engine -- MB-1352E1645D07EB12 - Taken by louiedog
Humans Must Answer -- MB-B18D343F4BD32B4D - Taken by didamangi

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Yeah, it's pretty interesting how it's all just sort of sprung up. I do wonder if anybody's actually using these keys or are they just being passed back and forth as currency.

Shady Russians and unscrupulous Aussies, that's all I'm gonna say.
<3 JC

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Killer Hornet Resurrection -- MB-CD0BEDEFBCEF5919 - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon. 12 entrants total.

t1397057921z1.png

The whole $60 for TLoU PS4 port got me thinking.

Do Steam users buy games and ports day 1?
I know several enthusiasts who do, but when a game shows up on Steam I celebrate not for the game being available, but because sooner or later it will be on sale.
Many many games I've gotten, have fallen under the idea of "if it were not for the price, I would have never even considered buying it", and that includes "big releases" such as Skyrim or Bioshock.

Are we becoming "cheap"? or simply do the games are overcharging for what we consider a fair price?

Tizoc

If the top sellers on the Steam store frontpage are anything to go by, then Yes.

Also speaking of PSN, Sonic Unleashed is now on PSN, wonder if it'd get released on Steam too...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Disney just added some depots to a couple of Star Wars subs. The mouse is learning. Maybe, in due time, we'll get Lego Pirates!

It might be a bit cheaper on Nuuvem, but if you have some Playfire bucks you can make the gmg deal real sweet.

ijBuSQOxPaEGx.png

/brag
Getting for ~$12. An incentive to play the backlog was a genius idea from playfire. Insanity for having Goat Simulator pay you to play it.

*high five*

I know several enthusiasts who do, but when a game shows up on Steam I celebrate not for the game being available, but because sooner or later it will be on sale.
Many many games I've gotten, have fallen under the idea of "if it were not for the price, I would have never even considered buying it", and that includes "big releases" such as Skyrim or Bioshock.

Are we becoming "cheap"? or simply do the games are overcharging for what we consider a fair price?
I've bought my fair share of games day 1, they just have to look really cool, that even includes ports(pre-ordered Deus Ex The Fall and Resident Evil 4 UHD Edition)

I probably pre-order more games now than when I did when I was on console(although that may be because I have more spending money now than I did when I played on console)

Amzin

I periodically buy major games at full price, usually pre-order. Often with GMG though you don't even pay full price after all I guess. Games I've pre-ordered off the top of my head:

Dishonored, Borderland 2, Diablo 3 + RoS (not steam obviously), Bioshock Infinite, Arkham City.

Major games I'm likely to pre-order in the future off the top of my head:
Arkham Knight, maaaaaayyyyyybbbbbbbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Watch_Dogs if there's enough positive press about the PC version ahead of time, maybe.

Way more indieish games I pay full price for though. I'll pick up Starbound at some point, I've got a couple games on kickstarter backed, I'll throw money at Transistor as soon as they let me, etc.

didamangi

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Ravensword -- MB-63058E0766378697
Bridge Constructor -- MB-A7AA7D70F0E00824 - Taken by TuckingFypo

Thx JaseC :)

kudoboi

It might be a bit cheaper on Nuuvem, but if you have some Playfire bucks you can make the gmg deal real sweet.

ijBuSQOxPaEGx.png

/brag

still waiting for them to fix my account and it has been 8 days since i submitted a support request. Anyone who used playfire support knows the usual time it takes to get a response?

Acccent

Since it's been brought up, I've taken a glance at my Playfire profile and it does indeed seem to lack quite a lot of games – on every service (I linked my XBL and PSN accounts too.)
I tried downloading the Vulcan client, but it turns out it's just a frame with the Playfire website inside it, so I wonder why it needs to install anything? Does it collect any sort of data?

I'm asking here because I think I saw someone post here who was part of the Playfire team... clarifications would be appreciated. Just how does the service work, wrt detecting new games and keeping up with user activity, and what purpose does the client serve? It's no wonder the rewards are buggy if the base game detection system doesn't work properly...

masterkajo

How exactly is this playfire achievement unlocking working?

I just registered and I got 3 Sleeping Dogs Achievements rewards. I did them about a year ago but I guess since the game is an active game right now it detects I have them and registers. Then I don't understand why it doesn't detect my Batman Arkham City achievements though. This game is also a reward game at the moment and I do have the steam achievements for it.
Also, the "Play for the first time" reward really means I must not have played the game prior to the reward program, right?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dark Souls II (EU) Download No keys available until the game is released.

lets go!

Ruruja

Since it's been brought up, I've taken a glance at my Playfire profile and it does indeed seem to lack quite a lot of games – on every service (I linked my XBL and PSN accounts too.)
I tried downloading the Vulcan client, but it turns out it's just a frame with the Playfire website inside it, so I wonder why it needs to install anything? Does it collect any sort of data?

I'm asking here because I think I saw someone post here who was part of the Playfire team... clarifications would be appreciated. Just how does the service work, wrt detecting new games and keeping up with user activity, and what purpose does the client serve? It's no wonder the rewards are buggy if the base game detection system doesn't work properly...

The guy who posts here is radMonkey. I think he said XBL and PSN game tracking is bugged at the moment because they're changing to a new system and picked Steam first due to GMG.

All I know is the client used to update your Steam achievements etc quicker than waiting for the website to do it.

Acccent

The guy who posts here is radMonkey. I think he said XBL and PSN game tracking is bugged at the moment because they're changing to a new system and picked Steam first due to GMG.

All I know is the client used to update your Steam achievements etc quicker than waiting for the website to do it.

Ah, alright, cheers (sorry radMonkey for forgetting your name!)

edit: the client comes with 6 processes, all called 'Awesomium Process', taking a total of 73MB of memory; + ~82MB for the client itself...

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I'm not doing the Playfire thing but since the achievements can be hacked what's the point?

Exuro

I'm not doing the Playfire thing but since the achievements can be hacked what's the point?
The gmg credit of course.

I'm also confused by how you get the rewards for achievements. Do you need to have not completed them before hand? I have all of the sleeping dog achievements for example but I didn't get the rewards for them.

didamangi

I get that, the point is that the achievements can be hacked, so it's free money, that's my point.

People that are doing that will be banned from GMG and reported to Steam, I don't see what Steam can do about it but it's there in the playfire rewards terms & condition.

still waiting for them to fix my account and it has been 8 days since i submitted a support request. Anyone who used playfire support knows the usual time it takes to get a response?

Usually takes me 4-7 days but in the last day or so I've been getting more frequent responses from multiple people.

NEO0MJ

If the top sellers on the Steam store frontpage are anything to go by, then Yes.

Also speaking of PSN, Sonic Unleashed is now on PSN, wonder if it'd get released on Steam too...

I'd be interested in that, but only if there's a way to remove the Warehog sections.

been a while since i played a pc game on a tv, but i do remember issued with my huds

could be wrong, though

PCs treat your TV like another monitor. Games look the same as they would anywhere else. Big Picture mode makes Steam even have a friendly (better) console-like interface than either of the new consoles.

You should give it a try. If you have a decent rig you can get PC quality visuals on your big screen. Makes both consoles look bad.

Anteater

Uhhhhhh.... wut.

I think he's talking about the UI scaling with different resolutions, for example some older console ports where the UIs were usually made for 720p displays, so if you go higher than that, the UIs are usually "smaller" in comparison, it's probably not a problem with games for ps4/one though since they're 1080p too.

louiedog

Playfire can do that? Because Valve can't AFAIK.

Valve doesn't really have much of a reason to care.

If Playfire sees you have 20 minutes played and unlocked all of the rewards achievements which span the game, or if you're a numbskull and unlock the beat the game achievement but none of the story achievements, they know you're not playing legitimately and will ban you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom