• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Sendt a mail 2 months ago asking for a Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden review code. Got a reply 5 min. ago with a code. Better late than never though. Game cost 60€, so Im happy for a review code. :)

Genuine suggestion fantomena, play it on easy and enjoy it as a mindless slasher. I thought on easy it was a fun game. On normal and especially hard they try to make things too difficult for the player in a real bullshit way as the game goes on and it just sucks the fun out of it. Easy is an enjoyable ride IMO.

Just wrapped up Halo: Spartan Assault yesterday:

What I Liked:
  • They translated Halo pretty damn well to the top-down shooter genre. The removal of reloading guns is a smart change, but the semi-limited ammo forces you to switch weapons once or twice a mission, giving a nice rhythm to the combat.
  • The art direction and visual variety is really strong. Everything is really colorful and lively. At first I thought the Spartan color choices were a bit odd, but I think the devs selected those so that they would read well against the environment (important for top-down).
  • The vehicle levels are hilariously fun. It is the power fantasy distilled into 5 minutes of pure bliss. Everything blows up, your tanks move a little too fast to look even slightly weighty, and there are no ammo limit. You can hijack enemy vehicles too!
  • The pacing felt right. Missions take 5 minutes tops and there are 30 of them total. It means the game isn't super long, but I don't think top-down shooters should be. It's a lot of fun sitting down and playing a level or two here and there.
What I Accepted:
  • Warthogs are completely absent from the game. This was a bit of a bummer. It would have been a lot of fun throwing in a couple Maw-esque levels of just driving through exploding environments.
  • The gun economy hasn't been rebalanced for the lack of microtransactions. Fortunately, there are only a couple guns (same options for every level) that you buy with your earned XP and they are essentially cheats because of how over-powered they are. I only used one once.
What I Disliked:
  • The lack of checkpoints became an issue in a couple levels for me. I know levels are short, but if I have to repeat them more than 2-3 times before succeeding, I start to be turned off. Especially since the failures felt unfair to me.
  • The scoring is a little too reliant on the medal/combo system. The system itself is pretty forgiving, but some levels don't have enough enemies or dense enough enemy counts to get a good killstream going and it still felt like the gold rating requirement expected me to manage that anyways.
  • A couple of the enemies are pretty annoying to fight. Their shields come back almost instantaneously and they can kill you in a couple melee hits if they get up close... and it can be difficult for you to escape that situation.
Conclusion:
Overall, I ended up enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I would. It really put me in the mood to replay the series. I think it's a really competently made top-down shooter so I recommend checking it out if you really like that genre or really dig the Halo universe. I think 5$ is a pretty fair price, but MS isn't averse to sales I could see it getting even cheaper real soon.

For once I actually agree with you Stallion :p Good write up and I'm surprisingly enjoying it as well. It's easily worth the 2 keys you can get it for. Just a fun twin stick shooter in the Halo universe. Nothing outstanding but nothing too bad either.

Vlad

The whole $60 for TLoU PS4 port got me thinking.

Do Steam users buy games and ports day 1?
I know several enthusiasts who do, but when a game shows up on Steam I celebrate not for the game being available, but because sooner or later it will be on sale.
Many many games I've gotten, have fallen under the idea of "if it were not for the price, I would have never even considered buying it", and that includes "big releases" such as Skyrim or Bioshock.

Are we becoming "cheap"? or simply do the games are overcharging for what we consider a fair price?

For me, it's the fact that any game that I've got my eye on is practically guaranteed to go on sale either during the Summer or Holday sales. With only six months at the most to wait to get a deal, I don't mind waiting to pounce on it. If the sales weren't as certain, I'd be less inclined to wait.

Wow such free game

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-E11BB5B7865E41B0 - Taken by JPizzle84

to me survival horror just feels more natural on the big screen

You don't even need that BPM garbage. :)
But thank you for pointing out that some of us play our Steam games "on the big screen". :lol

Playfire can do that? Because Valve can't AFAIK.

Yeah -- it's pretty easy. Hey -- how many achievements did that guy unlock this week? All of them? Including ones like "play Universe Sandbox for a year" and "play Garry's Mod for a year"? Suspicious activity... FLAGGED.
Oh hey look, he played <game x> for 2 hours and unlocked all the achievements including those for multiple playthroughs that's simply impossible to do in 2 hours. FLAGGED.

For once I actually agree with you Stallion :p Good write up and I'm surprisingly enjoying it as well. It's easily worth the 2 keys you can get it for. Just a fun twin stick shooter in the Halo universe. Nothing outstanding but nothing too bad either.

This is, quite frankly, the best Halo game I have ever played.

onionfrog

So which store has the best price for Dark Souls 2 preorders right now?

Nuveem is around $39 so I may go for that.
Green Man Gaming was supposed to have a 25% off voucher, but I never received one in my inbox... Does their normal 20% off coupon work for DS2 preorders?

Suggestions, folks?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
You don't even need that BPM garbage. :)
But thank you for pointing out that some of us play our Steam games "on the big screen". :lol

good to see your terribleness isn't confined to just vita games ;)

topyy

112416ekrqt7hfskeisipt.jpg

ModBot said:
Instructions for topyy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Go Go Nippon -- MB-0456EA7F047D40A7 - Taken by Baha. 6 entrants total.
Sparkle 2 Evo -- MB-BFF53C1C1EA8984E - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.
Aerena -- MB-BACD2CF60F3E9C45
Party Of Sin -- MB-1803640B6F120FD2 - Taken by Tesseract. 1 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess -- MB-FD73B13DE6588A06 - Taken by GaussTek. 1 entrants total.
Shattered Haven -- MB-F53E17025C10DCDC - Taken by Madridista. 1 entrants total.
Worms Pinball -- MB-A245ED4E032C8785 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 1 entrants total.
IL 2 STURMOVIK 1946 -- MB-743A5DE46B8C8D3E - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 1 entrants total.
Grimm Complete Series -- MB-6C40D7F7BF764954 - Taken by Kirosia. 1 entrants total.

t1397070431z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Green Man Gaming was supposed to have a 25% off voucher, but I never received one in my inbox... Does their normal 20% off coupon work for DS2 preorders?

Suggestions, folks?

If the best you can do at GMG is 20% off, you'd be better off pre-ordering on Nuuvem by around $1.70.

Lain

Just managed to unlock the Pacifist achievement in Nihilumbra and I feel like I've reached a milestone.
Now to hope it will be counted by playfire, unlike the letters achievement for Type:Rider that I unlocked yesterday afternoon and isn't showing up under balance yet, though not even the played for the first time is.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Halo CE will always be my favourite. I don't even think Bungie themselves knew how to do a campaign as good as the first game after it released. It was truly a flash in the pan just like the multiplayer in 2 was a flash in the pan as well. Never enjoyed other Halo games as much as those 2.

My prayers have been answered.

An expanded version of Westerado is coming to Steam. It will be called, Westerado: Double Barreled.

Source.
Yours and mine. I enjoyed Westerado so much. So happy that it's getting an expanded improved release

And Rain World & Oblitus are two of my most anticipated indies so that's good too

Suggestions, folks?

Nuveem seems the way to go unless you have some GMG credit.

Amzin

Another day, another giveaway. These are humble bundle Steam gift links. I should see how many bundles I have leftovers in :p

ModBot said:
Instructions for Amzin:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

The Swapper -- MB-DBC185D0DC2B9216
Dust An Elysian Tail -- MB-2803A10BBB423CD5
FEZ -- MB-8B6049E520B865D0
Antichamber -- MB-1B19D6F1B50EDF93
Monaco -- MB-82F63E5AB079DAE3

t1397082130z1.png

drakaenae

Extra bundle keys

ModBot said:
Instructions for drakaenae:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-5BE0F6EEE155BAF8 - Taken by cardinalmind. 6 entrants total.
Trine -- MB-FB1C9A75B89400C0 - Taken by fuzzy123. 7 entrants total.
Blackwell Deception -- MB-4255ECFB814312FE - Taken by DexterPepper. 8 entrants total.

t1397082445z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bah, for some reason Murdered: Soul Suspect's base price on Nuuvem is BRL$115; that's BRL$30 higher than on Steam. Hopefully it comes down closer to release but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks much for the Gaf Group invite! :)

saoirsepattycake7ojy8.gif

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Are you ready to hunt some spooky ghosts? Paranormal State: Poison Spring Collector's Edition is out for $8.99, 10% off.

About the Game

The Paranormal Research team from the hit A&E TV show "Paranormal State" is called in to investigate a terrifying supernatural event at Poison Spring State Park, historical site to a grisly Civil War battle. Join the team as their newest member, solve this ghostly case, and reunite two wayward spirits in this eerie Adventure game!

• Scour over 40 locations and 20+ Hidden Object scenes of hauntingly beautiful Poison Spring State Park!
  • Enjoy detailed, hand-painted artwork, full voice-acting, and a story inspired by true events!
  • Detect spiritual occurrences with special gadgets, such as the EMF Meter, the Thermal Cam, and more!
  • Solve 30 spooky puzzles and save the state park in Paranormal State: Poison Spring!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
As long as the achievements unlocked before the rewards period ended you'll get your credit, but you may have to submit a support ticket. The system in its current state is rather unreliable.

You're not going to be punished for GMG's mistake, although I wouldn't be surprised if the money is later revoked. Given you've said that you unlocked the achievements yonks ago, GMG would only suspect foul play if the achievement unlock times matched up with the rewards period, as this would indicate that you used SAM to re-lock and again unlock the achievements to change the time stamp.

Edit: Ah, apparently if you're new to the program you'll be "backpaid".
Yeah, it's better to send a ticket, and hopefully they'll see it. I'm still waiting on a response for mine about some rewards though.

I feel like I have both those situations as possibilities in my future, although hopefully it won't flag me for anything. A bunch of Arkham City achievements just randomly unlocked when I launched it a week or two ago because I hadn't played it since the removal of GFWL, and my save game was from the non-GOTY edition (but worked in GOTY). Anyway, my point is that stuff can actually happen naturally but I imagine they can tell the difference :p
They do, I asked about this several pages back. If it helps I also loaded my old vanilla save into GOTY and automatically got 4 random achievements of all that I had in my vanilla run (the shame is that a few that were a reward didn't... at least I finally did the AR Knight thing though!), and they were recognized and credited with no problem.

Yeah -- it's pretty easy. Hey -- how many achievements did that guy unlock this week? All of them? Including ones like "play Universe Sandbox for a year" and "play Garry's Mod for a year"? Suspicious activity... FLAGGED.
Oh hey look, he played <game x> for 2 hours and unlocked all the achievements including those for multiple playthroughs that's simply impossible to do in 2 hours. FLAGGED.
Basically, this.

In any case, I'm actually liking this, as it's making me play the games I got or buy (I'd have never played Type Rider otherwise for example... of which I'm not seeing the rewards I must say...)

Amzin

In any case, I'm actually liking this, as it's making me play the games I got or buy (I'd have never played Type Rider otherwise for example... of which I'm not seeing the rewards I must say...)

I probably would have gotten to Type Rider eventually since I love linguistics and language related stuff, but I certainly wouldn't have played over half of it last night :p

I'm tempted to buy Goat Simulator and try to unlock a bunch of those achievements, but I won't be able to play hardly at all Friday/Saturday/Sunday

DocSeuss

I don't think Playfire likes me. Stuff like "play Dear Esther or System Shock 2 for the first time" isn't unlocking.

Daily Alice Madness Returns 75% off

Doesn't modbot generate receipts by default now?

I DON'T KNOW BUT I ASKED AND THIS WAS CLEARLY A MISTAKE

I probably would have gotten to Type Rider eventually since I love linguistics and language related stuff, but I certainly wouldn't have played over half of it last night :p

I'm tempted to buy Goat Simulator and try to unlock a bunch of those achievements, but I won't be able to play hardly at all Friday/Saturday/Sunday

It's more about fonts than linguistics. Typography is FASCINATING.

I thought no game could ever match Marlow Briggs in terms of the sheer magnitude and frequency of explosions... i was wrong. I was so, so wrong.

Broforce, take a bow.

Diedac

Good luck

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Rock of Ages -- MB-FB8C39074A40DCB9 - Taken by wetflame. 12 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys -- MB-5A68B4CE26E950A2 - Taken by JPizzle84. 2 entrants total.

t1397083616z1.png

Turfster

Are you ready to hunt some spooky ghosts? Paranormal State: Poison Spring Collector's Edition is out for $8.99, 10% off.

The funniest part is that I seem to recognise some of those images from other hidden object finding puzzle games.
Also, wow, first Rambo, then this...

Ow, seriously? Dang, I guess I won't be playing anything with a 360 controller for a month.

Yep. If you really need it, don't order direct from China, it's usually really cheap shipping that takes a long time ;)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is Alice worth $5? How long does it take to complete? How long until I get bored?

Parsnip

Oh, Alice 2 isn't hugely expensive in Europe anymore either, they have finally lowered the base price. Took them long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom