• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's talking about the UI scaling with different resolutions, for example some older console ports where the UIs were usually made for 720p displays, so if you go higher than that, the UIs are usually "smaller" in comparison, it's probably not a problem with games for ps4/one though since they're 1080p too.

That's no different than trying to play N64 on a 1080p 60" screen though, is it?... it's not PC on TV that's the issue then, it'd be trying to play non-native video. Could be anything.

Turfster

been a while since i played a pc game on a tv, but i do remember issued with my huds

could be wrong, though

Do you mean drivers not taking overscan into account and the hud falling into the cut off overscan area?
Because drivers have had an option for that for a few years now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Aggression is a military real-time strategy game set within a historic context featuring role-playing elements. Play the role of a political leader of Russia, Great Britain, France or Germany. It is up to you to take firm decisions at the crucial period of the European history – the World Wars ages covering 1914 – 1945.

$9.99

Thorgal

Good evening GAf .

Just changed my password of my Steam account with a brand new Keepass While sweating bullets :p

Almost had a heart attack when i failed to login the first time , but then realized what the problem was and got through .

A Backup of the Database file has been put on two USB sticks with one staying in my desk if i ever need it while the second one is behind Lock and key in a secure location for emergencies ( losing the first Stick etc...)

One question though for safety' sake should i also make a backup of the Keepass folder (which is stored in the programs files (X86) or would that be unnecessary ?

Dr Dogg

Valve should just release an Android/ARM compatible In Home Streaming Client, then let the intrepid folks at XDA trickle down the release to the various devices.

The FireTV and other Android home media boxes would be perfect for In Home Streaming. The FireTV works with both the wireless and wired 360 controllers out of the box.

There's a ways to go yet as trying to decode a 1080p stream at 60fps and high bitrate is stupdeniously cpu intensive which even some desktops strain under let alone smaller devices. Still I'd take lower res and 30fps, compressed streaming over nothing. Baby steps but it's coming along nicely.

The whole $60 for TLoU PS4 port got me thinking.

Do Steam users buy games and ports day 1?
I know several enthusiasts who do, but when a game shows up on Steam I celebrate not for the game being available, but because sooner or later it will be on sale.
Many many games I've gotten, have fallen under the idea of "if it were not for the price, I would have never even considered buying it", and that includes "big releases" such as Skyrim or Bioshock.

Are we becoming "cheap"? or simply do the games are overcharging for what we consider a fair price?

Very, very rarely and only if it's a game I'm interested in. The last 2 were ports in Metal Gear Rising and Resi 4 as I already knew their quality and took a gamble on performance. Prior to that the last game on Steam I was there day 1 was Arkham City and while enjoying and finishing the game in the weekend it came out, I wish I held off a month or 2 until some of the later patches came out.

I'm taking a gamble on Dark Souls II, Watch_Dogs and The Evil Within but they're only a 'cancel order' away if things go awry.

Amzin

Valve doesn't really have much of a reason to care.

If Playfire sees you have 20 minutes played and unlocked all of the rewards achievements which span the game, or if you're a numbskull and unlock the beat the game achievement but none of the story achievements, they know you're not playing legitimately and will ban you.

I feel like I have both those situations as possibilities in my future, although hopefully it won't flag me for anything. A bunch of Arkham City achievements just randomly unlocked when I launched it a week or two ago because I hadn't played it since the removal of GFWL, and my save game was from the non-GOTY edition (but worked in GOTY). Anyway, my point is that stuff can actually happen naturally but I imagine they can tell the difference :p

Anteater

That's no different than trying to play N64 on a 1080p 60" screen though, is it?... it's not PC on TV that's the issue then, it'd be trying to play non-native video. Could be anything.

It's different than emulators/consoles, take ffxiv 2.0 for example there are no independent UI adjustments, so if you use downsampling, you most likely can't read the text, but yea it depends on the game, he most likely played a few games with that issue so it gave him that impression. Emulated games and console games keep everything the same size no matter what resolution you run it at (with exceptions, like... ffxiv >_>)

But for 1080p and ps4/xbox one games there shouldn't be any problems since the UIs are made for that resolution.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Good evening GAf .

Just changed my password of my Steam account with a brand new Keepass While sweating bullets :p

Almost had a heart attack when i failed to login the first time , but then realized what the problem was and got through .

A Backup of the Database file has been put on two USB sticks with one staying in my desk if i ever need it while the second one is behind Lock and key in a secure location for emergencies ( losing the first Stick etc...)

One question though for safety' sake should i also make a backup of the Keepass folder (which is stored in the programs files (X86) or would that be unnecessary ?

I was giving Keepass a going-over last night, too.

The actual program directory (by design) is worthless, really. You should be able to reinstall the application and use your password and/or key on any new install of the app.

As for Steam, if you have Steam Guard on, you should be safe from any attempts (assuming your email provider also has a 2-factor authentication, of course.)

I'll probably make the move over to keepass myself and store a backup of my key on my google drive, which is protected with 2 factor authentication.

DocSeuss

Okay, note to self, do NOT ask modbot for receipts again. I've had one a day, pretty much EVERY day, since my giveaway. It won't stoooop.

Okay, note to self, do NOT ask modbot for receipts again. I've had one a day, pretty much EVERY day, since my giveaway. It won't stoooop.

image.php

"You want the receipts? Here all your receipts"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cracking book.

And cheers for reminding me that I missed the boat on Raising The Bar for sensible money :(.

I've said this a million times now but Valve really needs to reprint Raising the Bar and sell it via the Valve Store. There's no shortage of people who want it for a reasonable price.

HoosTrax

Is that really rated AO? Wonder if that's a mistake.
The actual rating for that game should be listed as T.

edit: beaten

I think out of all of the games that I've personally played, Postal would come the closest to deserving an AO. Very unsettling, disturbing game. Not merely gory like Soldier of Fortune II. Gibs can be funny and satisfying, moreso when you're killing soldiers and combatants in games; the massacre of the marching band just felt kind of uncomfortable to carry out.

Tenrius

Valve doesn't really have much of a reason to care.

If Playfire sees you have 20 minutes played and unlocked all of the rewards achievements which span the game, or if you're a numbskull and unlock the beat the game achievement but none of the story achievements, they know you're not playing legitimately and will ban you.

I have a hard time believing that can actually happen. It's too complicated to work out automatically and I doubt they really have the manpower to check everything manually (even if it wasn't pointless). So my guess is that those rules are probably not enforced.

Leks

I don't understand how Playfire/GMG works.

I have a Playfire account linked to my Steam profile, but how do I know my GMG account is linked to my Playfire? Email adress is not the same.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't understand how Playfire/GMG works.

I have a Playfire account linked to my Steam profile, but how do I know my GMG account is linked to my Playfire? Email adress is not the same.

Yeah, is there a tutorial somewhere?

Thorgal

Actually , something weird is happening .

Every time i log in to steam the first time it says i failed the login and then it makes me do the "are you a human person ? " test and doing that ,it lets me in .

Weird ..

Edit : scratch that , seems to work fine now .

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just wrapped up Halo: Spartan Assault yesterday:

What I Liked:
  • They translated Halo pretty damn well to the top-down shooter genre. The removal of reloading guns is a smart change, but the semi-limited ammo forces you to switch weapons once or twice a mission, giving a nice rhythm to the combat.
  • The art direction and visual variety is really strong. Everything is really colorful and lively. At first I thought the Spartan color choices were a bit odd, but I think the devs selected those so that they would read well against the environment (important for top-down).
  • The vehicle levels are hilariously fun. It is the power fantasy distilled into 5 minutes of pure bliss. Everything blows up, your tanks move a little too fast to look even slightly weighty, and there are no ammo limit. You can hijack enemy vehicles too!
  • The pacing felt right. Missions take 5 minutes tops and there are 30 of them total. It means the game isn't super long, but I don't think top-down shooters should be. It's a lot of fun sitting down and playing a level or two here and there.
What I Accepted:
  • Warthogs are completely absent from the game. This was a bit of a bummer. It would have been a lot of fun throwing in a couple Maw-esque levels of just driving through exploding environments.
  • The gun economy hasn't been rebalanced for the lack of microtransactions. Fortunately, there are only a couple guns (same options for every level) that you buy with your earned XP and they are essentially cheats because of how over-powered they are. I only used one once.
What I Disliked:
  • The lack of checkpoints became an issue in a couple levels for me. I know levels are short, but if I have to repeat them more than 2-3 times before succeeding, I start to be turned off. Especially since the failures felt unfair to me.
  • The scoring is a little too reliant on the medal/combo system. The system itself is pretty forgiving, but some levels don't have enough enemies or dense enough enemy counts to get a good killstream going and it still felt like the gold rating requirement expected me to manage that anyways.
  • A couple of the enemies are pretty annoying to fight. Their shields come back almost instantaneously and they can kill you in a couple melee hits if they get up close... and it can be difficult for you to escape that situation.
Conclusion:
Overall, I ended up enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I would. It really put me in the mood to replay the series. I think it's a really competently made top-down shooter so I recommend checking it out if you really like that genre or really dig the Halo universe. I think 5$ is a pretty fair price, but MS isn't averse to sales I could see it getting even cheaper real soon.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Natural Selection 2 -- MB-CA334DB91512A333 - Taken by nexen. 8 entrants total.
Worms Reloaded -- MB-F8BD0D6AD42DFED0 - Taken by wetflame. 16 entrants total.
Savant Ascent -- MB-009D52BA2B811EC1 - Taken by VikasNarula. 11 entrants total.

t1397076012z1.png

jmizzal

I have a hard time believing that can actually happen. It's too complicated to work out automatically and I doubt they really have the manpower to check everything manually (even if it wasn't pointless). So my guess is that those rules are probably not enforced.

Yea they are barley getting everybody their credits to start with, so I doubt they even have time to worry about the few people who hack achievements and trying to figure out if they played the games long enough. Most of the achievements are not anything that hard anyways, the Team Fortress 2 achievements, and Yet Another Zombie game I know for a fact I could get in 10 mins.

louiedog

It doesn't sound very complicated to me. Check achievements vs time automatically. If time played is low compared to achievements set a flag. After X number of flags the account is reviewed by a person to see if it looks suspicious. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have systems in place yet or the manpower during the beta, but in time I don't see why not.

Nillansan

My prayers have been answered.

An expanded version of Westerado is coming to Steam. It will be called, Westerado: Double Barreled.

Destructoid said:
There's going to be a larger world map with new locations, new in-world events such as ambushes, new NPC types, new action scenes, new weapons like shotguns and bolas, upgraded gun-versation system, upgraded hat system, new subplots, and unlockable player types. You can also expect controller support, 720p/1080p HD, multiple save slots, and Steam-specific features such as trading cards. This one will be out late 2014.

Source.

StAidan

We have an emergency, GAF. There is not enough bro in this thread. Therefore, I am distributing another copy of Broforce.

ModBot said:
Instructions for StAidan:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Broforce -- MB-62F32B4EABB7B18F - Taken by Cheddahz. 97 entrants total.

t1397077584z1.png

koma

Dark Souls 2 for 12$ is really tempting but i don't have all that free time to get achievement for Playfire :(

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
A strange game I would say, but worthwhile for anyone that can just lose themself in a narrative almost entirely of their own making based off the relaxing and casual exploration of the world.

ModBot said:
Instructions for KenOD:
Never forget. Humans Must Answer.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (KenOD, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Cube And Star An Arbitrary Love -- MB-36BF0F1DDA2DDAB8 - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 10 entrants total.

t1397077674z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if I dont win that Broforce giveaway, im throwing the mother of all hissy fits. you have been warned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom