• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Based on the last time I checked a few people (a while ago now), I'd expect some in the hundreds.

Not really surprising, even when Stump posted it during that first summer sale there were guys with a great deal of games already.

I'm sure there are people with more games won on Modbot than in my library.

I am actually not wanting to win any games right now, because Tropico 5 is my waifu.

I'm at 999, and I'm wanting it to be 1,000.

Are you in the beta? You should post screenshots and impressions when you have a chance.

Is lastpass a good idea? I heard about it before but how secure is that? Because everything has leaks like heartbleed shows.

And if I do use it, will I have to change all my passwords on every site all over again? I just read lastpass has a build in heartbleed checker too now so at least that sounds good.

Stump said they have their shit together when he vouched for it.

Deques

I was encouraged to shoot for $800 (essentially, one day a week, every week, for four months), but I don't even expect to be successful.

The kind of luck I have: my brother was given a brand new Ford, entirely free, after his car broke down (it could have been fixed, has less miles than mine ffs) outside a church. I, for my part, have shoes that are getting so worn down, the footprint is almost entirely one solid blob of rubber.

If you don't try you wont know if you will success. Make a family member do a funding page, I see many of those campaigns are not made by themselves but by their friend and family.

DocSeuss

ModBot top ten givers:
JaseC|881 holy shit
xelios|522
The_Super_Inframan|307
Rhaknar|297
jshackles|270
Dusk Golem|266
Lain|209
Hinomura|184
chugen|172
SephirothRK|171

Hm. How many games have I given away, then? I must have fucked up my memory count. I was thinking 200. Is it closer to 150?

I hate my situation right now so fucking much. I would like nothing more than to be able to give away way more frequently than I do.

Are you in the beta? You should post screenshots and impressions when you have a chance.

I AM NOT AND THIS ANGERS ME GREATLY

If you don't try you wont know if you will success. Make a family member do a funding page, I see many of those campaigns are not made by themselves but by their friend and family.

My family has no interest whatsoever in me doing something like this. In fact, they're very upset with me for seeking disability, even though, like... I'm disabled. I've spent years trying to pretend I'm not, and honestly, I'm so fucking close to the breaking point right now, I realize I should have tried this years ago.

hohoXD123

ModBot top ten givers:
JaseC|881 holy shit
xelios|522
The_Super_Inframan|307
Rhaknar|297
jshackles|270
Dusk Golem|266
Lain|209
Hinomura|184
chugen|172
SephirothRK|171

ModBot top ten takers, along with how many games each of the takers has given:
128 | 25 given
126 | 5 given
126 | 46 given
123 | 37 given
121 | 5 given
108 | 3 given

107 | 31 given
106 | 6 given
104 | 32 given
103 | 101 given
101 | 38 given

It's not Modbot crapping out:
GA: Queueing Claims: New claim request _hekk05 for CD791E57C7B005CE 13:14:25.294493 1397135665.29
GA: Claim Process: Poster nominally meets no-lurker requirements: _hekk05 -- 15 13:14:29.575701 1397135669.58
GA: Claim Process: Poster has won in last day: _hekk05. Proof: 1397053921 >1397049269 13:14:29.605424 1397135669.61

The multi-entrant stuff are people who entered but didn't qualify. People on the blocklist, people who are lurkers, people who haven't given games away. Darth Kupi is qualifying for every rule except the "haven't won in the last day", but after a day has passed he qualifies for that again. So it's a "legitimate" use of the system within the confines of the rules in that sense.
Wow, damn.

Is there any way to find out how many you've given away yourself?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is lastpass a good idea? I heard about it before but how secure is that? Because everything has leaks like heartbleed shows.

And if I do use it, will I have to change all my passwords on every site all over again? I just read lastpass has a build in heartbleed checker too now so at least that sounds good.

Whether or not you need to change your password is highly variable by site, even among those sites affected by Heartbleed. Basically, during the period of time where the site in question is vulnerable, hackers could have read random chunks of memory out of the server. Maybe that memory would have contained usernames and passwords; on the other hand, maybe the way the server handles authentication transmission would be such that the memory would be nonsense. Quite a lot of servers never transmit authentication data in plaintext, even inside of SSL/TLS, so compromising SSL doesn't give the hacker anything.

Your best bet is to sit tight for the next week or so, change your password if you get an email from a service explicitly telling you to, and then if not consider changing your passwords then.

Lastpass, along with KeePass and 1Password, are all great password managers. Any password manager is better than no password manager. Use strong, long, random passwords for every site and only memorize your master password, which should be as strong as possible.

Note: This advice is assuming you already use different passwords for every site. If you reuse passwords, well, stop doing that.

Hm. How many games have I given away, then? I must have fucked up my memory count. I was thinking 200. Is it closer to 150?

Just under the cutoff for the top 10 (147 is your total giveaway number), but remember that the giveaway number only counts claimed giveaways, not outstanding giveaways, so if someone gave away 200 desura copies of My 1st Gam or whatever and no one claimed them, they'd show up as giving away nothing.

Wow, damn.

Is there any way to find out how many you've given away yourself?

I don't believe there's any way to get a numerical stat, but if you check the Modbot tutorial for a my loot request, that should show you a complete inventory of everything you've won and given away* and you can do the counts yourself.

* Games that were rotting, unclaimed for a long period of time and given away through a bulk Modbot giveaway are counted as being given away by Modbot, not by the original giver, so those might be missing.

DocSeuss

Just under the cutoff for the top 10 (147 is your total giveaway number), but remember that the giveaway number only counts claimed giveaways, not outstanding giveaways, so if someone gave away 200 desura copies of My 1st Gam or whatever and no one claimed them, they'd show up as giving away nothing.

More reason for people to claim those games that are still outstanding.

Wondering if I should just give away the rest of what I have. I think it's only like 23 games.

SparkTR

Yeah I never did play the original but the sequel was amazing.
Was odd though how it was only on PS2 when the original was PC.
It must have been because of Sony throwing money at it, since their logo is on the box.
But i'm not quite sure why they would to begin with.

I'm guessing the rights belonged to Psygnosis who published the original, they were bought out by Sony and became Studio Liverpool. And thus it became a Sony game.

oipic

Our dear ModBot was tremendously generous to me following MRORANGE's birthday extravaganza giveaway, and I somehow won twice... I hope he won't mind me passing one of those on.

All thanks and credit to Monsieur d'Orange.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Broken Sword 2 -- MB-EC6418871490AB33 - Taken by Diedac. 7 entrants total.

t1397147905z1.png

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
ModBot top ten givers:
JaseC|881 holy shit
xelios|522
The_Super_Inframan|307
Rhaknar|297
jshackles|270
Dusk Golem|266
Lain|209
Hinomura|184
chugen|172
SephirothRK|171
Great Scott! :|

Awesome people are awesome. (logic 101)

Deques

ModBot top ten givers:
JaseC|881 holy shit
xelios|522
The_Super_Inframan|307
Rhaknar|297
jshackles|270
Dusk Golem|266
Lain|209
Hinomura|184
chugen|172
SephirothRK|171

There should be a limit on how many giveaways you can do. Like only 10 giveaways per lifetime :D

Acccent

It would also be interesting to know the best and worst give/take ratios

edit: 'my loot' still doesn't show what you've given away and was claimed, does it?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It would also be interesting to know the best and worst give/take ratios

I imagine JaseC has the best give/take ratio and that 108 taken/3 given member is the worst.

Edit: oh wait, there's going to be people who have taken loads and never given anything away too.

Double Edit: Realised I had these unclaimed as part of a previous giveaway - have at them

Guacamelee Gold Edition -- MB-3E064FF5B70000CF - Taken by More_Badass
Fez -- MB-F028230D8B0B5DED - Taken by yuraya

DocSeuss

I will not! Get your own games!

I could, but that'd take the edge off of my first giveaway being as large as I can make it. A huge 2nd giveaway wouldn't make sense, would it? I wasn't complaining about not being able to enter, really. Mostly just wanted to finally post about why I partake in giveaways but never run any myself.

I am like 90% certain I am the OG giant giveaway guy, with like... 45 games. People quickly beat the crap out of that, giving away ridiculous numbers I couldn't hope to match. I was saving up for 100-200, but decided to go with 100. I'm intending to do another 100-200 when I can. I like doing it. Makes me feel good.

I imagine JaseC has the best give/take ratio and that 108 taken/3 given member is the worst.

Edit: oh wait, there's going to be people who have taken loads and never given anything away too.

That's why I ALWAYS limit my giveaways to givers only. I want to reward people who kick ass.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I still haven't claimed anything. Claiming a game to play would just be foolish and all the licensed stuff I've seen pop up has been too recent to pinch for the sake of my collection.

Acccent

yeah, plus I meant a list like the ones Stump posted :p

here's another list, unrelated though, of sites where you have to change your password because of heartbleed. It's not directly related to steam but we did talk about it a lot and it's a PC issue so...
http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/

masterkajo

In the Walking Dead there was a way to turn them off, and I'd assume it's the same for the wolf among us. The only issue is that the option (which I think is under game or gameplay) turns all indicators off as well - so there are no dots on objects you can interact with for example

That is the problem. The option was in The Walking Dead Season 1 but is missing in The Wolf Among Us. The only option there is is to disable the highlighting of objects (which I like) but I still get the messages that say "Balabla remembers this".

Telltale, not cool!

MUnited83

For you.
So, how would one go about giving 7 copies of the same game? They are gifts on my inventory. I know I can send one to my email and get a gift link, but that only works with one copy.

Arthea

I still haven't claimed anything. Claiming a game to play would just be foolish and all the licensed stuff I've seen pop up has been too recent to pinch for the sake of my collection.

anything at all? you don't enter even if you don't have a game, even for +1 gamecount?
*mindblown*

disappointed to see I'm not in top 10, not that I thought I would be, as some people are incredibly generous here, still disappointed *sighs*

Newblade

One for the lurkers.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tobe's Vertical Adventure -- MB-4B82F8138134F439 - Taken by JPizzle84

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Looks like I broke the cardinal sin of Modbot and entered for a game that I'd already won, it was anonymous so I wasn't able to contact who gave it away originally, here's a reposted raffle for it. Sorry everyone!

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Worms Reloaded -- MB-F8BD0D6AD42DFED0 - Taken by koma. 14 entrants total.

t1397150738z1.png

Cheddahz

Banned
It's going to be fascinating seeing what concurrent numbers Dark Souls II launches at.

I'm sure it'll be pretty big. It's been on the top sellers list for a while now and now that everyone has proof that the port isn't half-assed like the first one was, I'm sure there were more pre-orders this week (for example; me)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, how would one go about giving 7 copies of the same game? They are gifts on my inventory. I know I can send one to my email and get a gift link, but that only works with one copy.

Seven separate giveaways or make six junk e-mail addresses at Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo Mail/and so on.

anything at all? you don't enter even if you don't have a game, even for +1 gamecount?
*mindblown*

disappointed to see I'm not in top 10, not that I thought I would be, as some people are incredibly generous here, still disappointed *sighs*

It wouldn't feel right to pinch a game for my collection that somebody else would probably actually play. I'd make an exception for a licensed game that has an uncertain future but thus far I've noticed no such title.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah it's definitely grimy to enter for a game you won't play. I still feel bad for getting Thomas Was Alone and quitting it half way through. To be fair I wasn't expecting to hate it.

TAFK

Question - For those of you that use ScummVM for games is there anyway for me to get separate icons for each game or do I need to have them all under the ScummVM game launcher? Thanks if anyone can help with this!

Knurek

Tonsillitis, yay. No work till Tuesday.
This will probably kill me down the line, I've been getting bi-annual infections and doctors are saying they're too infrequent to remove the tonsils. Oh well...

Finally started Half-Life 2. Loving the fact that it's butter-smooth 60fps on max settings, pretty much every single new game I've played so far this year had 60fps with drops here and there. All the juddering was really starting to get on my nerves.

Hexcells continues being amazing, 7 puzzles to go in H+. No guessing required so far, although some puzzles required at least two-way deduction in some places. Really wish devs would whip up some quality weekly puzzle packs.

hohoXD123

Whether or not you need to change your password is highly variable by site, even among those sites affected by Heartbleed. Basically, during the period of time where the site in question is vulnerable, hackers could have read random chunks of memory out of the server. Maybe that memory would have contained usernames and passwords; on the other hand, maybe the way the server handles authentication transmission would be such that the memory would be nonsense. Quite a lot of servers never transmit authentication data in plaintext, even inside of SSL/TLS, so compromising SSL doesn't give the hacker anything.

Your best bet is to sit tight for the next week or so, change your password if you get an email from a service explicitly telling you to, and then if not consider changing your passwords then.

Lastpass, along with KeePass and 1Password, are all great password managers. Any password manager is better than no password manager. Use strong, long, random passwords for every site and only memorize your master password, which should be as strong as possible.

Note: This advice is assuming you already use different passwords for every site. If you reuse passwords, well, stop doing that.

I don't believe there's any way to get a numerical stat, but if you check the Modbot tutorial for a my loot request, that should show you a complete inventory of everything you've won and given away* and you can do the counts yourself.

* Games that were rotting, unclaimed for a long period of time and given away through a bulk Modbot giveaway are counted as being given away by Modbot, not by the original giver, so those might be missing.
Oh right thanks, only get a PM back with everything I've won along with unclaimed giveaways though, rather than claimed giveaways too. Oh well.

Giveaway time.

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dungeons of Dredmor Complete -- MB-4A70AE629E189A35 - Taken by Volimar. 4 entrants total.

t1397142369z1.png

_hekk05

Banned
Tonsillitis, yay. No work till Tuesday.
This will probably kill me down the line, I've been getting bi-annual infections and doctors are saying they're too infrequent to remove the tonsils. Oh well...

Can't you just request for a removal? Unless you're in the US and that might literally bankrupt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom