• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think the ugliest thing about this playfire thingie is that you check on it every day and feel disappointed that you already beat a game

like, it makes me want to NOT play a game until it gives me money on that site

i still play it and whatever but it's still pretty awkward and just feels wrong

I've yet to play the dlcs, but the main game is around 4 hours.

Well, I remember getting platinum on the PSVita in about 4/5 hours.

It had to be a few more than that.

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/search.php?t=games&s=guacamelee

Those numbers are pretty much correct (averages) based on not using a code to unlock hard from the start -- it took 12-14 hours to get my platinum when it first came out without knowing about the code for hard mode or having guides to follow to find everything.

A minimal "speed" run on hard took me 4-5 hours (no real sidequests, only grabbing powerups when they were not super out of the way because if you play the game normally, there's no incentive to recollect everything on hard mode). 5 hours to do the game 100% on hard mode on a first time playthrough? That's crazy talk. :p

MUnited83

For you.
You would have to use a code to unlock hard mode if you want to platinum it in 5hrs right? because normally without looking at faqs you need to play through normal first to unlock the higher difficulty which gives you an achievement for completing as far as I know

Yep, I used the code to unlock the hard difficulty.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Anyone else always turns off aim assist when playing with a controller? The feature makes aiming harder for me since I'll be trying to aim at a specific body part and the reticle will be wanting to do its own thing, and it messes with my groove if it nudges by itself. I just started Binary Domain and had to turn it off immediately at the first section.

Finished episode 3 of The Wolf Among Us. I don't recall who exactly but someone posted in this thread about how it was a pretty ho-hum episode (and that they hadn't even played the second one) and all I can think is whaaaaaaaaaaat. It was pretty awesome.
I ripped out Tweedle Dum's throat because I'm getting sick of those jackasses.
Yeah Telltale have been kind of sketchy with delivering the episodes in a timely manner but so far TWAU is shaping up to be pretty damned entertaining.

I don't even understand what the hell that means.

It's the weirdo economy that's risen around Team Fortress 2 since it went free-to-play and now sort of applies to Steam as a whole. In Team Fortress 2 the game randomly drops crates which contain random loot (weapons, hats and what not). These crates require keys to open, these keys cost 2.50$ off of the Mann Co. Store, TF2's in-game item shop. People trade for items and use scrap (a TF2 crafting mat) and keys on TF2 trade servers and through websites like TF2 Outpost. This economy now applies to more than just TF2 (and Dota 2) items, now it's used for games as well because of the gifting/inventory system.

jediyoshi

its like the steam version of bitcoins except keys are actually worth something

ATtl6PD.png

Where's the joker when you need him

BruteUA

What's a good way to liquidate a TF2 unusual? Don't get excited, it's pretty low-tier. I feel like I've pretty much retired from TF2 and there's no point in it sitting in my backpack, but I don't want to get screwed over nor do I want to have to spam trading sites and servers.

Also

YMY0AWO.gif

Did like a big copy paste. Pretty sure these keys are unused. Apologies if so. Let me know if you didn't get a code if you won something. Might have messed up something.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 24 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Joe Danger 2 -- MB-AB354464B1703471 - Taken by scorpscarx
Runner 2 -- MB-B398F387AAB59D8E - Taken by Terra_Ex
Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-6B7656A3A995B713
Hoard -- MB-5EDD97ED32B74B20 - Taken by Shalashaska
Interstellar Marines -- MB-7CCC9AE4FC07B3E0 - Taken by Mugatu
Enclave -- MB-1C0DCCC3221ED96B - Taken by SteveWinwood
Velvet Assassin -- MB-7A4612A693D3290D - Taken by oipic
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-B3A9BBF431692A7A - Taken by Vlad
Tropico 4 Steam Special Edition -- MB-4537AE5287C98FA8 - Taken by mannerbot
Dino D-Day -- MB-C90BC77D7083980D - Taken by Scipius
IL-2 Sturmovik -- MB-E822C814B1C24D02 - Taken by Aerocrane
Kung Fu Strike -- MB-F97932DD0934E544 - Taken by topyy
Reus -- MB-B35EFE208FFDA2BF - Taken by masterkajo
SpaceChem -- MB-2C806A865156BEC4 - Taken by Benedict
Finding Teddy -- MB-5283DFBBEE7BA8B6 - Taken by FiveElementNinja
FEZ -- MB-74C474936D2885D5 - Taken by lucebuce12
Rush Bros. -- MB-FE60757B563D3B0B - Taken by InfiniteNine
To the Moon -- MB-6CBD1C364EE7BCB7 - Taken by nature boy
Space Pirates and Zombies -- MB-6F1B2C7CBC8F4EFF - Taken by Ruruja
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-FA6DE8CC5C1EC921 - Taken by NaM
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-ABBD366BB774B211 - Taken by ShogunX
Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-5491B670100A65C5 - Taken by pahamrick
Broken Sword 2 -- MB-22C762E1F41D003E - Taken by Crentist the Dentist
Offspring fling -- MB-438B668BE404F31D - Taken by Kathryn

Runner 2 is for the game btw, not the DLC.

hohoXD123

Finished episode 3 of The Wolf Among Us. I don't recall who exactly but someone posted in this thread about how it was a pretty ho-hum episode (and that they hadn't even played the second one) and all I can think is whaaaaaaaaaaat. It was pretty awesome.
I ripped out Tweedle Dum's throat because I'm getting sick of those jackasses.
Yeah Telltale have been kind of sketchy with delivering the episodes in a timely manner but so far TWAU is shaping up to be pretty damned entertaining.
Yup, found episode 3 to be the best one so far, even the performance was great.

Chronoja

i think the ugliest thing about this playfire thingie is that you check on it every day and feel disappointed that you already beat a game

like, it makes me want to NOT play a game until it gives me money on that site

i still play it and whatever but it's still pretty awkward and just feels wrong

I said the same thing a few pages back. I've adopted the mentality "screw it". It sucks to lose out on nice amounts of "free money" but I'm not going to start half playing games / not playing games for the sake of it.

I'd nearly prefer if they implimented a more "permanent" version, lower the price across the board for older achievements and remove the time limit on them. I'd take 1 - 5p on a ton of achievements I already have as opposed to a time limited handful I'll never get the 50p for, if that makes sense.

They could still run the "new games, high value achievements" like they currently do, the main draw for that is it gives people a greater incentive to buy the game since they'll be earning back on it near instantly, as such new games can't even suffer from the "already had the achievement" situation.

Regardless, it's an interesting system and I guess as long as most people are happy with it then there's little reason to really change it.

oipic

Did like a big copy paste. Pretty sure these keys are unused. Apologies if so. Let me know if you didn't get a code if you won something. Might have messed up something.

Thanks very much, Cloudius - as a stealth fiend, I'll finally get to see just how good or otherwise Velvet Assassin is. Cheers. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
I said the same thing a few pages back. I've adopted the mentality "screw it". It sucks to lose out on nice amounts of "free money" but I'm not going to start half playing games / not playing games for the sake of it.

I'd nearly prefer if they implimented a more "permanent" version, lower the price across the board for older achievements and remove the time limit on them. I'd take 1 - 5p on a ton of achievements I already have as opposed to a time limited handful I'll never get the 50p for, if that makes sense.

They could still run the "new games, high value achievements" like they currently do, the main draw for that is it gives people a greater incentive to buy the game since they'll be earning back on it near instantly, as such new games can't even suffer from the "already had the achievement" situation.

Regardless, it's an interesting system and I guess as long as most people are happy with it then there's little reason to really change it.

i think it's just a dumb thing of them to tie it to achievements like this. like ideally they should make their own achievements but putting another api on all these games is not really such a good idea either.

but this feeling of "i'd rather i hadn't played fez yet" is super stupid and wrong

Anteater

i think it's just a dumb thing of them to tie it to achievements like this. like ideally they should make their own achievements but putting another api on all these games is not really such a good idea either.

but this feeling of "i'd rather i hadn't played fez yet" is super stupid and wrong

I have the opposite problem, it's making me do things I already told myself I wasn't going to do.

I mean if they're giving out bad rats rewards I'm probably going to post "fuck this shit" and secretly do them all :(

Tizoc

Ya know even though I've got a week to do it, I don't feel like getting the 'Complete 5 Warp zones' and 'Find 50 bandages' cheevos for Super Meat boy >_>;

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Spare:
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Broken Sword 2 -- MB-3E196853BC18DABB - Taken by Ingueferroque

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
when a russian haxors your credit card and tries to buy a bunch of dota items youll be happy about that

Yes, that would make sense if I added a CC or debt card. The payment option I used though was a prepaid visa gift card.

Mugatu

Runner 2 is for the game btw, not the DLC.

Thank you for Interstellar Marines!

Parsnip

I've been using Playfire rewards as a good game recommendation. I can never decide what to play next, so having them pick it for me with their rewards is great. :p

Hanzou

ModBot said:
Instructions for Hanzou:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cave Story Plus -- MB-86C61B8B391A37D8 - Taken by Humenkind. 2 entrants total.

t1397341455z1.png

Been meaning to give some keys away for a while. Just starting with this one to make sure I set things up correctly. Good luck!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
ModBot said:
Instructions for Bboy AJ:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Portal -- MB-749E7985D7152B80 - Taken by onionfrog. 12 entrants total.

t1397351446z1.png
Oldie but I haven't played it until this past month. Maybe there's another in the same boat as me. Good luck!

zkylon

zkylewd
I have the opposite problem, it's making me do things I already told myself I wasn't going to do.

I mean if they're giving out bad rats rewards I'm probably going to post "fuck this shit" and secretly do them all :(
lol totes

but like forcing you to play games is kind of the point of it, like it or not. and like you played the game and you're rewarded. might feel like work but you get a nice feeling at the end of this is a stepping stone towards an actually fun game

but then you like buy that fun game with the discount and suddenly you don't know if you should play it or not cos you'll get the achievements for it and you'll lose all this free money

it's weird

oipic

I've been using Playfire rewards as a good game recommendation. I can never decide what to play next, so having them pick it for me with their rewards is great. :p

Same - it has prompted me to dig some games out of the backlog, and being given achievements to strive for in those games is the closest thing we've had to the treasure hunts of past Steam sales (I miss those).

Pachimari

I'm gonna see if this PlayFire thing works with me, and is starting up FEZ for the first time. Might also be a good time to buy Super Meat Boy.

But I just wonder, because I really want Anno 1404 but have never played it before, if I should stay away from this release with all the Tages DRM and whatnot. I still feel new at PC gaming.

Muve.pl wouldn't let me buy Call of Duty 2 or Lost Planet 3...

And I forgot that Sniper Elite v2 wasn't a weekend deal, so I let the 3 DLC packs I was missing sit in my cart too long.

Dammit.

Things are definitely not coming up corrosivefrost. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing Alice Madness Returns a bit more since I started it 2 days ago. So far the combat is very simple but entertaining, and the art style is completely twisted and crazy and weird and I love it.

But there's one thing, just one thing... Don't fucking take control away from me whenever I pull a lever or turn a valve! I hate when games do that; that's something that Epic Mickey also did and I hated it for that (though that was hardly the only reason why it sucked as much as it did). I can clearly see that a door in front of me has opened, I don't need the game to freeze me while the camera moves to show me what I already know (or what I can find out after 5 seconds of exploring). Seriously, this is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to gaming, if not the one. If you're making a game, please carve these words into your brain: "Don't. Fucking. Take. Control. Away. From. Me. Unless. It. Is. Strictly. Necessary" (99% of the times it isn't). Thanks for listening, future game makers, and helping me make the world a better place for all of us.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
OK, so I signed up for GMG, signed up for Playfire, and connected my Steam account to Playfire. I'm signed up for the stupid newsletter. Now how do I start earning reward money? Doesn't seem like Playfire registers my achievements.

hohoXD123

OK, so I signed up for GMG, signed up for Playfire, and connected my Steam account to Playfire. I'm signed up for the stupid newsletter. Now how do I start earning reward money?
Read the blog, see what achievements will earn you money, then play away. May take a while for your achievements to register.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've been playing Alice Madness Returns a bit more since I started it 2 days ago. So far the combat is very simple but entertaining, and the art style is completely twisted and crazy and weird and I love it.

But there's one thing, just one thing... Don't fucking take control away from me whenever I pull a lever or turn a valve! I hate when games do that; that's something that Epic Mickey also did and I hated it for that (though that was hardly the only reason why it sucked as much as it did). I can clearly see that a door in front of me has opened, I don't need the game to freeze me while the camera moves to show me what I already know (or what I can find out after 5 seconds of exploring). Seriously, this is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to gaming, if not the one. If you're making a game, please carve these words into your brain: "Don't. Fucking. Take. Control. Away. From. Me. Unless. It. Is. Strictly. Necessary" (99% of the times it isn't). Thanks for listening, future game makers, and helping me make the world a better place for all of us.

lol that's strangely specific

i should maybe try that game again

i only played it back when i didn't have a 360 controller, and it was terribad beyond belief to play with k&m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom