• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

my OCd 680 can go up to high 80s during some heavy games and I ain't even care

it also idles pretty high

most cards are more resilient than people give them credit for. as long as you're under 100° you're most likely fine

Yolo and all that. the OC is worth it

We've all seen inside your PC so it's no bloody surprise :p

Plus most GPUs start to downclock at 70 degrees plus, which is the sweet spot to aim for.

Scipius

Some more games, enjoy:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

A-Train 8 -- MB-3F9AD565E5C76E03 - Taken by fuzzy123. 5 entrants total.
A New Beginning -- MB-4BD86072542AD4CB - Taken by schuey7. 3 entrants total.
Gun Metal -- MB-C30BA74CFF796B91 - Taken by Japle. 1 entrants total.

t1397428219z1.png

Salsa

We've all seen inside your PC so it's no bloody surprise :p

Plus most GPUs start to downclock at 70 degrees plus, which is the sweet spot to aim for.

the high temps are mostly cause I don't do custom fan profiles so it stays hot and quiet :p

the automatic downclock is annoying but minimal and gives you some peace of mind at least that the card knows when it's reaching a dangerous place, same reason we have BSODs

I just think it's hard to fry your shit really

the high temps are mostly cause I don't do custom fan profiles so it stays hot and quiet :p

the automatic downclock is annoying but minimal and gives you some peace of mind at least that the card knows when it's reaching a dangerous place, same reason we have BSODs

Bah, my GFX is over 70°C during non-gaming and I don't even overclock. Come to think of it, I can't even play newish games properly. I think this bragging will turn into a disaster so I'll stop before my HD3850 burn my house for badmouthing it.

Edit: Even the hard disks are running at 50°C ! What the hell are you doing PC? Trying to burn my house down for installing Windows 8.1 on you?

rtcn63

Fuck Ravenholm.

Just wanted to chime this in.

Fuck it in the arse.

Are you stuck in that area where enemies constantly respawn, shortly after you get the shotgun?

I have a Gigabyte Windforce 670, and it stays cool even during long gaming sections. Not the fastest, but seemingly reliable. It's my first *high-ish* end GPU. Owned a HD4850 before.

Dr Dogg

Oh no doubt. Plus Uruguay is a damn sight nearer the equator than the UK is so you're always going to get higher ambient temps than me. Though I've rather not find out the hard way what the limit of my GPU is before it starts stripping components from the PCB.

I had a really badly designed cooler on an old ATI APU that didn't clear it's exhaust so it used to collected dust right in the knuckle. Used to get to 97 degrees just after post and the bios killed it before Windows even fired up. When I opened it up for the first time I got showered in debris.

stealth gfx card bragging, I see how it is

Hahaha well despite the small fortune I've spent on GPUs all weekend I've been playing games that will run on a sandwich toaster. Yeah so that was a wise investment.

You guys are just destroying FEZ by using guides.. :(

I'm rather enjoying my playthrough.
If I wasn't able to consult a guide, I'm pretty sure I'd have already said "I have no interest in trying to figure out these ridiculous puzzles" and would have quit playing and deleted it.

For example:
The guide I'm consulting showed me what to do in a room where you can earn a red cube. The solution had something to do with deciphering the whole alphabet of squiggles so could read the clues on the pylon, figuring out the answer somehow (METATRON?) and then rotating cubes to spell metatron vertically backwards.

I'd have NEVER done that on my own, cause as I said above (and below) I just do not have the time, patience, or interest in trying to decipher the alphabet(s) and then clues and everything else.

However, I'm learning from the guide and applying solution patterns where I can see them.

For example:
The guide taught me how to solve a "beat tuning fork" room where it just required figuring out a pattern of rotations while standing on the tuning fork.
When I encountered a similar room later on, I solved the code on my own without using a guide.

I fully appreciate the time, effort, and thought put into these puzzles -- I just do not have the desire to work some of them out on my own. I acknowledge the genius of the game, I just am playing it in the way that works best for me.

FEZ 12 out of 12'd in little over 8 and half hours with no guides what so ever. Alright I had beaten it on 360 but pretty much forgot everything about it bar the input system. I'd say to get maximum enjoyment at least playthrough the first part using your own initiative.

Edit : Speaking of still an unclaimed copy up for grabs.

For a minute there I thought you said pies.

Yeah, but if you've played it once, odds of remembering what to look at for a code or how the cyphers work in general will help. I've been doing as much as I can on my own (I don't like using guides if possible -- but I'll take a peak at a guide and if it says "code alert" in the one I'm using, I take a gander at the puzzle before I decide whether or not to just input the code. Some of these things are obtuse as fuck. Whoever said they liked fez until they had to convert things from hex to squiggles to whatever and they said "fuck it" is pretty much spot on. :)

TL;DR: I agree with your sentiment and am only using a guide where it's for solving puzzles that require working out the alphabets or whatever.

Fuck this part in particular.

Concentrate on the bomb things -- just dodge the other guys until you have most of the bombs taken care of. Or go equip the costume with regen health. ;)

most cards are more resilient than people give them credit for. as long as you're under 100° you're most likely fine

Yeah, I made sure I could overclock -- wanted to get every dollar I could out of my setup before upgrading eventually.

Can't wait to replay Half-Life 2 with my OR DK2....but Ravenholm will probably make me tear the thing off my head and throw it out of the window.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I never cared to finish Half-Life 2, having played it a month or two back. It goes on... forever.

I'd love to play through the Half-Life games again but after Episode Two I told myself I wouldn't do so until Episode Three (now Half-Life 3) is around the corner. So far, so good!

Jawmuncher

I'd love to play through the Half-Life games again but after Episode Two I told myself I wouldn't do so until Episode Three (now Half-Life 3) is around the corner. So far, so good!

I'm still amazed it took so many years for people to call Half Life Episode 3 - Half Life 3.

Once you pass 3 years the next game still being called an episode made no sense.

JaseC

I'm still amazed it took so many years for people to call Half Life Episode 3 - Half Life 3.

Once you pass 3 years the next game still being called an episode made no sense.

Even today some are still convinced that there'll be an Episode Three because moving from Episode Two to a fully-fledged sequel "wouldn't make sense". The novel idea of Half-Life 3 picking up where Episode Two left off is apparently an alien concept. :p

Even today some are still convinced that there'll be an Episode Three because moving from Episode Two to a fully-fledged sequel "wouldn't make sense". The novel idea of Half-Life 3 picking up where Episode Two left off is apparently an alien concept. :p

Lot of people think a full-fledged sequel would warrant a jump in setting and time again like HL2 did. It's not like Valve couldn't do that once Gordon and Alyx reach the Borealis. And who says the story would go on after the Combine.

Jawmuncher

Still boggles my mind how people can think that.
It's like saying if something ends on a cliffhanger it can't have an actual sequel .

JaseC

Lot of people think a full-fledged sequel would warrant a jump in setting and time again like HL2 did. It's not like Valve couldn't do that once Gordon and Alyx reach the Borealis. And who says the story would go on after the Combine.

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve patched in an extended ending to Episode Two to kick off a Half-Life 3 ARG, akin to how to Portal 2's announcement was handled. If nothing else it'd be a nice bone to throw to those who have been waiting six-and-a-half years now for something. ;)

Dr Dogg

Yeah, but if you've played it once, odds of remembering what to look at for a code or how the cyphers work in general will help. I've been doing as much as I can on my own (I don't like using guides if possible -- but I'll take a peak at a guide and if it says "code alert" in the one I'm using, I take a gander at the puzzle before I decide whether or not to just input the code. Some of these things are obtuse as fuck. Whoever said they liked fez until they had to convert things from hex to squiggles to whatever and they said "fuck it" is pretty much spot on. :)

TL;DR: I agree with your sentiment and am only using a guide where it's for solving puzzles that require working out the alphabets or whatever.

It's one of those things though and not every game is for everyone. If someone's wasn't enjoying FEZ and their only motivation for playing it was GMG credit I can understand why reaching for a guide would be a choice. Personally nothing in FEZ is hard, sure it requires a little bit of lateral thinking but it's quite rewarding when you've solved the puzzle and not had to look at a walkthrough or cheat sheet.

Super Meat Boy on the other hand is really testing my patients. I managed to do the Warp Zone achievements by brute force by collecting 50 bandages? Yeah that's doing my head right in. I'm on 16 so far and I'm only on the easy levels and I've had to skip a few, when I get to the 4th world I don't know how many tries it will take my to finish the level let alone land on the 1 specific spot and loop back around. No guide can save you here.

And all this work for 50p in credit hahaha.

Jawmuncher

All I know is Shepard better make a appearance in HL3 since even Valve said they liked the character. I'll even take him being dead so long as it's confirmed.

JaseC

All I know is Shepard better make a appearance in HL3 since even Valve said they liked the character. I'll even take him being dead so long as it's confirmed.

Only if it's revealed that Shephard left the marines to become a shepherd and now calls himself "Shephard the shepherd".

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve patched in an extended ending to Episode Two to kick off a Half-Life 3 ARG, akin to how to Portal 2's announcement was handled. If nothing else it'd be a nice bone to throw to those who have been waiting six-and-a-half years now for something. ;)

Didn't the Jira leak have a group titled Episode 3 movie?

edit: ah, here it is

Episode 3 movie (<- likely the "previously on HL2" recap video)

Bill Van Buren
Brian Jacobson
David Spreyer
Jeremy Bennett
Marc Scaparro

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689145

Saty

If Ep2 is to be updated, the best would be the final scene recreated in Source 2. Best way to kick-up the hype.

It's one of those things though and not every game is for everyone. If someone's wasn't enjoying FEZ and their only motivation for playing it was GMG credit I can understand why reaching for a guide would be a choice. Personally nothing in FEZ is hard, sure it requires a little bit of lateral thinking but it's quite rewarding when you've solved the puzzle and not had to look at a walkthrough or cheat sheet.

Super Meat Boy on the other hand is really testing my patients. I managed to do the Warp Zone achievements by brute force by collecting 50 bandages? Yeah that's doing my head right in. I'm on 16 so far and I'm only on the easy levels and I've had to skip a few, when I get to the 4th world I don't know how many tries it will take my to finish the level let alone land on the 1 specific spot and loop back around. No guide can save you here.

And all this work for 50p in credit hahaha.

I know the feeling -- after I 12/12 FEZ, I will go back to working on the meatboy bandages -- I have a good # of them through the beginning of world 2, I think the only one I missed in zone 1 was 18 light world.

As for FEZ, that's not my only motivation, but at the same time, I just wouldn't HAVE the motivation to be like "oh, see, here's where I can figure out what a squiggle means!" So using a guide when pertinent seems fine to me.

Cleaned my card but I managed to snap one of the graphics card slots on the motherboard so that is garbage. There are two others luckily so it's not a big deal, but I still don't understand how I managed it. Must have been edgy already. By the time I upgrade my card I'll probably have to get a new motherboard anyway, especially with the new ram options.

At first the card was back to 35 degrees for the first time in a while but now it's back up to 45 idle :/

didamangi

All this talk about HL just makes me feel sad for some reason. Valve, please.

This. I live in a country where the lowest temperature is higher than most us/europe cities highest temperature. My last card (HD 6850) would reach 85-90° when playing a game and I've played a lot of games when I've had it and run my pc 24/7.

The card still runs fine in my brothers PC, I bought that card around late 2010. It has never crash except when it's a game/driver bug.

Of course if you're on the cooler part of the world you should be worried if your card reach that temp anyway, so never mind me and my nonsense post :p

JaseC

That list is inaccurate. For one, it's missing some people (like myself, and hundreds of Valve employees), and the figure is pulled from the All Games tab (or rather the same data source that the tab uses), which includes F2P games with play time and, erroneously, many pieces of DLC.

Edit: Oh, and some games don't show up in the All Games tab for whatever reason. Serious Sam HD: TSE is one such example.

Edit Edit: Ah, apparently the list only includes people who have claimed their profile.

Are there are any GAFfers on the list other than Jase and Xelios?

Jshacks is 191 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kuZsSsnuN4KRoyEK04v4XUeR8/edit#gid=1643899795
Gray Wolf is 413

I haven't gone through the list, but I can say that VALIS is a GAFer (although he hasn't posted in almost a year), and textonly has been posting in these Steam threads here and there over the past couple of months or so.

Where would one go to adjust at what temperature the GPU starts to downclock at? Need to try OCing it again as well, did so when I first got it but a few games started having issues so I set it back to default and never tried again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom