• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't comprehend that people actually buy Steam Trading cards. Maybe I just don't understand it...every time I get a card by playing I immediately throw it on sale for a dirt cheap price, usually less than 20 cents, and it gets snatched up immediately.

Who's buying my cards? Collectors? Or are they then flipping the card for more than they paid for it? Or is there some other use for these cards that I'm not aware of?

Not that I'm complaining. I love that I can get a 20 cent rebate on anything I buy.

Levyne

Banned
I still can't comprehend that people actually buy Steam Trading cards. Maybe I just don't understand it...every time I get a card by playing I immediately throw it on sale for a dirt cheap price, usually less than 20 cents, and it gets snatched up immediately.

Who's buying my cards? Collectors? Or are they then flipping the card for more than they paid for it? Or is there some other use for these cards that I'm not aware of?

Not that I'm complaining. I love that I can get a 20 cent rebate on anything I buy.

I'm the same way, but I don't think too much about it.

I just know the last thing I need is more bars to fill.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

When you complete a set of cards you can craft a badge. There are some benefits tied to this.

Jawmuncher

Valve has pushed plenty. They can only do so much.

I dunno from the look of things they have a lot more work they could do.
Forgot the name of it (Milamber would know) but they apparently didn't even show up at the big Japanese Indie game con. Plus considering the mess that was Ikaruga at first they still have some work to do.

hohoXD123

The people who craft badges so they level up and they get some other rewards too, a higher level means that they're more likely to get booster packs in the future, can't remember what other benefits there are. Cards can also be used for trading games. I'm the same as you pretty much, no interest in badges, I just throw them on the market.

topyy

That list is inaccurate. For one, it's missing some people (like myself, and hundreds of Valve employees), and the figure is pulled from the All Games tab (or rather the same data source that the tab uses), which includes F2P games with play time and, erroneously, many pieces of DLC.

Edit: Oh, and some games don't show up in the All Games tab for whatever reason. Serious Sam HD: TSE is one such example.

I haven't gone through the list, but I can say that VALIS is a GAFer (although he hasn't posted in almost a year), and textonly has been posting in these Steam threads here and there over the past couple of months or so.

working now,
wait that list update :)
set a password is better.

I dunno from the look of things they have a lot more work they could do.
Forgot the name of it (Milamber would know) but they apparently didn't even show up at the big Japanese Indie game con. Plus considering the mess that was Ikaruga at first they still have some work to do.

They were at BitSummit last year, talked about Greenlight.

JaseC

JaseC and xelios top 20 in the world!
at buying games

You guys make me proud

Xelios' number hasn't gone up for a while now, I think. Somebody mentioned to me the other day that before he made his profile private again he only had 10 people remaining on his friends list so I wonder if he's stepped back from the collecting game. :(

That link doesn't work for me- on a restricted computer. What sort of benefits?

What do I get when I craft a badge from my Trading Cards?
In addition to getting the Game Badge itself, you'll get:

a random emoticon item created for this game, that can use in chat or discussions;
a random profile background item created for this game, that can use on your Steam Community profile
a chance to get a discount coupon for a different game or DLC
100XP, which may increase your Steam Level

If your Steam Level increases, the limit on the size of your friends list will be increased by five, and potentially you'll unlock the ability to customize your profile with showcases.

When last year's Summer Sale and Winter Sale were around the corner, coupon rewards were replaced with mystery cards that turned into sale-themed cards when said sales began. Also, the higher your Steam Level, the greater your booster pack drop rate (allegedly):

How can I get a booster pack?
Once you have received all of your card drops, you become eligible for a booster pack, which is a set of 3 trading cards that may include both basic and foil cards. Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community. Make sure you log in to Steam each week to maintain eligibility.

Once eligible, your Steam Level increases your rate of receiving a booster pack drop:

Level 10: +20% increase in your drop rate
Level 20: +40% increase in your drop rate
Level 30: +60% increase in your drop rate
Level 40: +80% increase in your drop rate
Level 50: +100% increase in your drop rate (i.e. the rate has doubled)
Etc.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
What discount did you get there?

33%, same as today's Steam sale.

I just wanted a new game to play this weekend.

It's a solid game, but it's no Grimrock. I'm no dungeon crawlan aficionado though. The only dungeon crawlers I have completed are Grimrock and Etrian Odyssey 1.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The store gives me Error Code: -118 soooooo often. And if I try to connect to the website it also times out, so it isn't just the client, but then issteamdown.com says Steam is up. I wonder if it's Comcast being douchebags again.

are you telling me 45 degrees isn't normal? fuck
Is that not normal? My GPU has been idling around 40-45 C since I built my computer a month ago. It doesn't even get to 70 degrees most of the time unless I'm running furmark or something, so I thought I was okay. I am due to clean it out though.

hohoXD123

The store gives me Error Code: -118 soooooo often. And if I try to connect to the website it also times out, so it isn't just the client, but then issteamdown.com says Steam is up. I wonder if it's Comcast being douchebags again.

Nope, been happening to me too very frequently over the last few days, and other members in this thread seem to be having the same problem too.

Xelios' number hasn't gone up for a while now, I think. Somebody mentioned to me the other day that before he made his profile private again he only had 10 people remaining on his friends list so I wonder if he's stepped back from the collecting game. :(

When last year's Summer Sale and Winter Sale were around the corner, coupon rewards were replaced with mystery cards that turned into sale-themed cards when said sales began. Also, the higher your Steam Level, the greater your booster pack drop rate (allegedly):

Cool, thanks. Guess I'll keep sellin' my cards then...

There's a cool-looking strategy game coming out on the 16th, I saw it in the 'Coming Soon' tab on Steam. Looks like a turn-based Isometric-ish cartoony game that features tanks.

It was called 'Battle Legends' or something like that. It looks neat...may pick it up when it comes out.

JaseC

There's a cool-looking strategy game coming out on the 16th, I saw it in the 'Coming Soon' tab on Steam. Looks like a turn-based Isometric-ish cartoony game that features tanks.

It was called 'Battle Legends' or something like that. It looks neat...may pick it up when it comes out.

Battle Academy. The 33% early bird discount is quite tempting but I'll wait and see how much damage the next round of Weeklies do to my wallet first.

didamangi

It's self-published:

Good for them :)

We don't have Bangai-O yet on steam, but Galak Z will do for now.

GZ1.gif

GZ4.gif

GZ3.gif

kennah

Jumped on the Goat Simulator bandwagon.

My four year old has been playing it for two hours.

My wife is... Less than thrilled.

Somehow I don't think my Fez giveaway worked, Modbot didn't edit my post or give me a receipt. I just pasted the Humble URL in the same as I would do a code as per the instructions, hmmm...

Salsa

"indie gaming" is a notion which is becoming obsolote considering that these indie games are becoming a very large part of the market.

indie gaming just means independent games, as in no publisher money. If you take it for what it actually means then it never really becomes obsolete..

I dont see it as a degrading term at all, quite the opposite

Salsa

man I totally forgot about Killer is Dead, guess im using that money for Watch Doggies tho

also that Murdered Souls game appeals to me in a Ghost Trick way, hope it's good

Nabs

I don't remember seeing any gameplay of Murdered: Soul Suspect, but I have a feeling it'll be a sweet sub $10 pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom