• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

natertots

Want Dragon Commander and Blackguards at Dat Price.

Can't spend money before WonderCon....

I've been waiting to pull the trigger on Dragon Commander the past few days. I just can't decide. I've read that it gets too easy and if that's true it will turn me off from the game in a major way.

Panda Rin

that Transistor gameplay footage is soooo nice.

Transistor and DS2 are day one buys for me. Watchdogs and Child of Light will be wait-and-see. some good games coming out in the next month.

that Transistor gameplay footage is soooo nice.

Transistor and DS2 are day one buys for me. Watchdogs and Child of Light will be wait-and-see. some good games coming out in the next month.

I want Transistor to blow me away like Bastion did -- I have a few reservations about the combat, but am going to give it the benefit of the doubt for now. :)

Miker

There's no good place because there's no actual information about anything. The few sites who have reached out to publishers have got pretty noncommittal answers or none at all. I would be extremely skeptical of anyone who says that such-and-such a publisher is talking about patching their game, ergo it'll be patched.

Here are the GFWL games currently on sale on Steam:
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II + Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising * I believe this is going to be patched or has, but the situation for these games has never been clear to me.

There are also quite a few removed games; The Club, Stormrise, and... I wanna say at least one other SEGA game got removed this week. Bulletstorm. FUEL. Dirt 2. Fable III. No one knows if these games will get patched and re-added or not. I believe at least one of the racing games has a separate app, implying it'll be rereleased.

Stump, do you have a source for the Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II games? I thought they would let those languish since Retribution exists on Steamworks.

I've been waiting to pull the trigger on Dragon Commander the past few days. I just can't decide. I've read that it gets too easy and if that's true it will turn me off from the game in a major way.
Too easy? Even normal difficulty has been very challenging for me.

Terra_Ex

This was my experience, there were two difficulty spikes iirc and I ended up decreasing the difficulty at one point iirc. At the very end of the game, there's not much challenge, but that's because you've already taken control of the map.

So close to a Better Red Than Dead Conquest victory in Civ V with the Zulus but I ran out of turns :( I only had two capitols left to take and probably could've nabbed them if I moved faster but it would've meant turning on Egypt and we were Order buddies. I've never had an A.I. civ pick the same ideology as me and gotten along with them so well in any game before. The Impi units are amazing, they're the Zulu's replacement for the Pike unit. They have a double attack, a cost free ranged attack and then a melee charge. They also can move one more tile and have a lot of nifty unit-specific upgrades that make them deadly early-to-mid game and then makes them really awesome rifleman on up. Such a good unit if you plan on being a massive war monger.

So, like with all my financial decisions, I was afraid to buy Dragon Commander and now I'm buying the entire Larian Pack.

I was gonna ask what this Larian pack is and where I could buy it but then I looked and it turns out I now own all of their games on Steam.

Nabs

ixCa9aBvo3od5.gif

I regret not backing Distance. He says Beta is coming soon, and that they may go with Early Access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgsiI3W_6M

Levyne

Banned
Finished the Lords of Shadow 2 DLC today.

It's okay. It's more like the first game. No stealth, only castle-ornate looking bits. The "story" is contrived so it doesn't add anything there. Only two encounters though that aren't just regular goons. The last one especially is really nice. Some interesting puzzles that actually required a little bit of cleverness. Very little, but some, backtracking to find upgrades.

Fun to spend an evening on.

Tenrius

Wasn't there a way to see how much space each installed games take up on your hard drive? Would be pretty handy if it doesn't exist.

Tenrius

The properties of the installed games main file? Just navigate to the directory where it's installed and view the file's properties.

Oh, I'm aware of that. Should have worded it better lol: I have 111 games currently installed and it would help to see all the respective install sizes in sortable a table or something. Just to know what I should uninstall if I want to clear up some space.

Windirstat helps you see everything on your hard drive as proportionate blocks. Very useful.

Now that's more along the lines of what I was thinking about. Actually, I just found out what that was: an Enhanced Steam feature I thought was in the Steam client itself. You can sort by size and everything, very cool stuff.

EDIT:

It's a bit off though, shows completely wrong numbers for some games. For example, Bastion is 863 Mb and Enhanced Steam shows just 2.9 Mb.

That gif reminds me that y'all should be buying T.E.C 3001 (4$)

iFqzFsJ3sOGgQ.gif

Is the music in-game dubstep-ish like that trailer? I don't mind electronic music but the way the trailer was edited to the music is kind of obnoxious. I didn't like the jump cuts and those rewind/fast-forward segments to the drops were kind of off-putting.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Oh, I'm aware of that. Should have worded it better lol: I have 111 games currently installed and it would help to see all the respective install sizes in sortable a table or something. Just to know what I should uninstall if I want to clear up some space.

Now that's more along the lines of what I was thinking about. Actually, I just found out what that was: an Enhanced Steam feature I thought was in the Steam client itself. You can sort by size and everything, very cool stuff.

EDIT:

It's a bit off though, shows completely wrong numbers for some games. For example, Bastion is 863 Mb and Enhanced Steam shows just 2.9 Mb.

Is it an Enhanced Steam feature? I thought it was a native one; you click on list view and there's a "Size on Disk" column.

derExperte

In the Steam library right click on the row with the colum headers or the + on the right and look for 'Size on disk'.

Tenrius

Is it an Enhanced Steam feature? I thought it was a native one; you click on list view and there's a "Size on Disk" column.

In the Steam library right click on the row with the colum headers or the + on the right and look for 'Size on disk'.

Nice, I wouldn't figure this out myself. What Enhanced Steam does is letting you see it via your community profile, which is a bit more handy (because that way you see a sortable a list of you all your games without categories; the native feature works only in list view and it sorts games within individual categories only). If only it would work right. Still, my life has now become positively better, thanks derExperte.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hm.

People are saying the political aspect of Dragon Commander is shit.

Hm.

It's unbalanced, so as long as you make all your decisions with the intent to maintain approval, you will never have an issue. The only way you will run into problems with the races is if you do something stupid like having and following a set of ideals.

So, similar to real life.

It's unbalanced, so as long as you make all your decisions with the intent to maintain approval, you will never have an issue. The only way you will run into problems with the races is if you do something stupid like having and following a set of ideals.

So, similar to real life.

Interesting.

But I mean does doing bad shit have that black and white a consequence?

That's good to hear. I've just read elsewhere the game gets very easy as you progress. Looks like I'll buy and dice in tomorrow, thanks for your input.

This was my experience, there were two difficulty spikes iirc and I ended up decreasing the difficulty at one point iirc. At the very end of the game, there's not much challenge, but that's because you've already taken control of the map.
Oh yeah, it snowballs, and it works both ways, sometimes reloading the latest autosave won't be enough.

Levyne

Banned
Nice work! I just finished wrapping up acheivements in Castlevania. Some of Sleepy Dogs' seemed like that would take a while but that's not too long a play count there.

Gonna start up MoF HD tomorrow.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LMAOOOO

Just played some Ace Combat Assault Horizon and the way you recklessly light shit up is hilarious.

Milamber

LMAOOOO

Just played some Ace Combat Assault Horizon and the way you recklessly light shit up is hilarious.

Granted the game is crap, but it is one of those games that you can immediately get into and show friends and family the pure craziness and action from the get go. No boring menus or talking.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting.

But I mean does doing bad shit have that black and white a consequence?

No. For the political decisions with the ambassadors, there is generally a good reason to choose either side. In addition to manipulating the favor of both sides, the 'evil' decisions usually result in a stronger military and or more resources. But it's not really needed as the game is too easy after the initial turns.

There are two other type of decisions that can be made, one type involves the personal story of the Queen, and the other involves the side-missions of the named generals. The Queen based decisions are generally distinct from the normal balance of politics, but in some cases they can influence approval or disapproval from the Queen's race. The side-missions of the generals don't really matter outside of the generals personal development.

Winning the game is all about resource management. This is the flaw with the game as it is too easy to gather and produce enough resources to overrun the enemy without having to resort to the actual RTS battles. That is why after the first few turns, the game becomes a cakewalk. Not only because you can simply out produce your enemies, but it becomes more efficient to do so then actually taking the time to personally engage them on the battlefield as a Dragon. So maybe you could reorganize your production lines and see if that helps with the difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom