• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arulan

Any strong thoughts on The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav? I'll probably play Blackguards at some point this year and thought familiarizing myself a little with the "Dark Eye" universe could be beneficial.

derExperte

Nice work! I just finished wrapping up acheivements in Castlevania. Some of Sleepy Dogs' seemed like that would take a while but that's not too long a play count there.

Gonna start up MoF HD tomorrow.

Collecting all the money cases took the longest but after finishing certain side missions all collectibles show up on the map and using taxis speeds up getting around immensely (also one car is VERY fast and the awesome radio stations never got boring) so no problem. For some specific stuff that's left at the end you have to grind a little and I used a guide to find the last events but nothing too bad.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the deal with Divinity Dragon Commander Beta? I installed it, but I'm not sure if I should've even bothered.

The beta was a pre-purchase incentive. Larian just didn't make separate post-release subs with it excluded.

Damn, those Watch Dogs ultra settings requirements.

I have a 4.6GHz 2600K and two overclocked 670s so I should be okay assuming the 2GB VRAM isn't a bottleneck.

Milamber

The new Nvidia drivers that push some DX11 rendering off the CPU to the GPU will certainly be an advantage to Watch_Dawgs. Maybe I should look into SLI'ing another GTX 770 to compensate for my 4670K CPU.

The beta was a pre-purchase incentive. Larian just didn't make separate post-release subs with it excluded.

I have a 4.6GHz 2600K and two overclocked 670s so I should be okay assuming the 2GB VRAM isn't a bottleneck.

So it's worthless and I should uninstall it, that's what you're telling me?

Jawmuncher

I was looking at some graphics cards and just realized............I have no idea what the hell i'm looking at. All this work to understand PC specs more and more to just get GFX cards thrown in my face. Different brands of the same card which themselves have different specs and all sorts of things is just leading me to be confused.

Think i'll just grab the spec of my card and compare them and assume higher is better .

Milamber

I was looking at some graphics cards and just realized............I have no idea what the hell i'm looking at. All this work to understand PC specs more and more to just get GFX cards thrown in my face. Different brands of the same card which themselves have different specs and all sorts of things is just leading me to be confused.

Think i'll just grab the spec of my card and compare them and assume higher is better .

The more RAM on it the better, if its the same class of card.

Levyne

Banned
It's a little beyond me too. I just note the clock speed to see what the factory overclock is (which I don't really understand beyond just flat comparing the numbers.)

For instance, my card is in the EVGA "superclocked" line with a ACX cooler (whatever that is), which I assume to to accommodate the extra heat generated. Works for me.

And, yeah. Cards like the 770 coming in 2gig and 4gig vram flavors.

Jawmuncher

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
It's a little beyond me too. I just note the clock speed to see what the factory overclock is (which I don't really understand beyond just flat comparing the numbers.)

For instance, my card is in the EVGA "superclocked" line with a ACX cooler (whatever that is), which I assume to to accommodate the extra heat generated. Works for me.

And, yeah. Cards like the 770 coming in 2gig and 4gig vram flavors.

Third party heatsink + fan that helps cool the video card, usually quieter and more efficiently, than a reference cooler provided by Nvidia/AMD.

They all recommended the good ones now.

EDIT: Also, WTF BinaryPork2737. I want him to keep thinking it's Spring-Loaded's though.

Do you want me to edit my post? (I was vague as to the origin)

Anyone a Super Meat Boy pro in here?

What's the deal with the "princess" when she's glitching out? I've never finished a stage when she's like that.

High five!
high-five-o.gif

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
...I am not upgrading from my 470 GTX right now, stop trying to make me feel self conscious about it!

Crypto currency inflation, ram prices, Witcher 3 isn't even out yet, et cetera.

maneil99

Picked up xcom declassified and enemy within for a total of 7 keys... Not sure if classified is worth it. Anyone know how playable Planetary Annihilation is? I have 2 more bf4 keys i gotta sell and might use the $ to buy that.

maneil99

Can somebody help me out with Stormrise (apparently it slipped through my fingers)? It seems to be NA-only.
I can if nobody else helps out, just got it for chrono x. Although ill need to buy it as a gift since i technically own it in my library when i bought it for chrono..

maneil99

So looking at 770 this would be good right?
Like I said I don't know what i'm looking at here but it says 4gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462
770 4gb is a complete waste although if its cheaper then a 2gb its worth it, if not spending extra money for more vram on a mid range gpu is silly... Your gpu is going to bottleneck before it hits the vram limit and when it doesnt you are better off spending thr extra 50$ for a 780. Go to the pc building thread.

Jawmuncher

Are you upgrading for Watch Dogs? Might as well wait for the 800 series.

But if you can't wait, that's a pretty decent card.

770 4gb is a complete waste although if its cheaper then a 2gb its worth it, if not spending extra money for more vram on a mid range gpu is silly... Your gpu is going to bottleneck before it hits the vram limit and when it doesnt you are better off spending thr extra 50$ for a 780. Go to the pc building thread.

I'll have to pop in there soon I suppose. Was just trying not to since it never ends well for me in that thread the few times i've been in there. I'll hold off then and see what comes up.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

The majority of video cards are offered through third party companies like MSI, EVGA, SAPPHIRE, GIGABYTE, XFX etc. On top of different modifications to the reference design, each company has different warranty and upgrade policies, all of which influence the price.

For Nvidia, you basically want to purchase from EVGA due to their warranty and upgrade programs even though they sometimes have a small price premium. If you want to save US$10-20 you can purchase from bargain suppliers like ZOTAC or GALAXY, but be warned, their warranty programs aren't as good and they generally don't offer upgrade incentives. Another thing to consider is that due to their warranty, EVGA products tend to command a higher price on used markets like ebay when you want to eventually upgrade.

General tip, you don't need a Double Bios GPU unless you plan to overclock.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
As long as my GTX 650 will play the games, I'll be happy for some time.

Speaking of playing games, I discovered that there exists perhaps one more simulator game beyond goats and Octodad that may catch some people's interest. Demolition Company Gold Edition. All the fun of destroying buildings and ridiculous physics, while taking itself entirely serious.

Jawmuncher

The majority of video cards are offered through third party companies like MSI, EVGA, SAPPHIRE, GIGABYTE, XFX etc. On top of different modifications to the reference design, each company has different warranty and upgrade policies, all of which influence the price.

For Nvidia, you basically want to purchase from EVGA due to their warranty and upgrade programs even though they sometimes have a small price premium. If you want to save US$10-20 you can purchase from bargain suppliers like ZOTAC or GALAXY, but be warned, their warranty programs aren't as good and they generally don't offer upgrade incentives. Another thing to consider is that due to their warranty, EVGA products tend to command a higher price on used markets like ebay when you want to eventually upgrade.

General tip, you don't need a Double Bios GPU unless you plan to overclock.

Ok thanks for this info. This pretty much answers a lot of my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom