• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks! While it sounds counterintuitive I think in cases like this its very well possible that people will know less about the game the older it is. I watched a bunch of marketing material, previews etc about AC3 and probably knew 'it' but forgot until I got around to playing.
np. i usually spoilertag stuff but i thought this was common knowledge since i'm really bad at remember this shit and i knew it from the second the game started so i dunno...

also i think that the database is starting to become like my favorite thing of the ass creed series. i like how it's an outlet for history exposition even if it's mostly shallow stuff. like i wish the ass creed games took the historical aspect of them even further to more aggressively dictate how cities look and how npcs act cos it always ends up looking a bit like a theme park

Hey everyone :)

So I finally finished AC4... it's the definition of a mixed bag. (I can elaborate if people are interested.)

Now, what should I play? I made a selcetion among my Steam games...
7 Grand Steps, Analogue AHS, And Yet It Moves, Bioshock 2, Brütal Legend, Deadly Premonition, Dear Esther, Deus Ex, DmC, Dota 2, Gone Home, Gunpoint, Home, Kairo, Lone Survivor, The Longest Journey, MGR:R, Miasmata, Psychonauts, Redshirt, Shelter, Spec Ops TL, S&S, To The Moon, Trauma, The Void, Year Walk?

(I realised I don't actually have Thieaf 2 ans System Shock 2, I'll buy them when they're discounted – happens often I think?)
hmm a lot of good games

selection of that list of games that are short:
* analogue a hate story: one of my favorites in recent memory, with its expansion hate plus which was my goty for 2013. very unique game and i really enjoy its themes and its writing. really my #1 recommendation of that list (short games only!)
* gone home: similar deal, this one isn't too different from dear esther in terms of what you do, but the story it tells is far more interesting and the way it tells it makes it so that you're actually exploring rather than receiving exposition.
* gunpoint: neat little game, i enjoyed it but never felt like digging deeper in its systems.
* lone survivor: heavily inspired by silent hill and twin peaks, and as a fan of both i loved it tremendously. it's got a goty edition or something now that might or might not fixed the only frustrating part of the game, so that might be good. it's also devved by jasper byrne, the dude that made the mission complete them from hotline miami, so basically a god
* spec ops: i really liked this game and actually i think beat it three times. i'm a big fan of what it tries to tell and how it tells it, even if it's a bit too heavy handed. but you know, people are thick, gamers specially, so it works. i hope it's a precursor for more mainstream games trying to tell deeper stories and introspect on genre tropes and the like
* to the moon: it'll prolly make you cry cos this game is fuckign sweet and sad. some people diss the writing or the characters but i found both pretty lovable. the rpg maker shit is kind of annoying but it's more than bearable
* the void: another one of my faves, this game is beautifully strange. there's no other game like it, it's something of a weird dating sim from hell in that you do weird afterlife gardening and kill grotesque horror games men so you can save your waifus from starvation. and you're given so very little information on how to do any of it. it's a game about stumbling to understand its systems and cherishing every drop of info on its story and its mechanics. i love it!

other than that deus ex is obviously one of the best games of all times and should be played by all capable humans, and deadly premonition is awesome but tedious as hell. psychonauts and brutal legend are both your usual double fine deal of charm and wit and half-baked gameplay. bio 2 is pretty good, and so is home

i didn't care much for mgrr, dear esther, and yet it moves, the longest journey, trauma or swords and sorcery

don't have a full opinion on miasmata yet, although it was initially very interesting but oh so clunky, and haven't played the rest

well and doto's doto

whoosh

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
flappycuntpgk5x.jpg

Huzzah.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It was very enjoyable, but I'm kind of curious how a few things may have differed between versions, as there's a few puzzles that were PC-centric. An example,
there's a puzzle where you see the letter U and N on a couple latches holding a stove shut, and if you look at the hint, it mentions keys, so I went through the whole forest looking for keys, but ultimately discovered you're supposed to hold the U and N keys on your keyboard to unlatch them.

But it translated very well to the PC and I felt they did a good job at making it feel like it was built for the platform, as opposed to it feeling like an iOS port.

I remember some puzzles using unconventional use of the iPhone/iPad's features too, like
dragging way off the side of the screen using fingers in a sort of walking motion
and
rotating the screen
, I imagine that they've replaced those with puzzles which have a similar feel of doing stuff "outside of the game" to solve.

Tizoc

I now make it a habit to not start any of my Steam games until Playfire lists rewards for them.
This helps me in finishing my backlog a little faster since there might be games from past rewards I haven't finished yet and I can go about finishing them in the meantime~

Deques

Apparently I have a problem with my badge page not showing my badge page but my profile page. What is going on with Steam?

Acccent

That one. That one right there.
tumblr_mmfn14zgjz1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

If you need something short and focused after AC play Gunpoint, Year Walk, Gone Home or Dear Esther.
Hm... I've started Dear Esther, might play that and go on with Gone Home to stay in that 'style'

Having literally just beat it, Year Walk should only take you about two hours to complete it if you choose too. Home, Dear Esther, and Gone Home are also pretty short (Home is about 2 hours, Dear Esther is 2-3, Gone Home is 3-5). I wouldn't recommend Home personally though, Dear Esther is love it/hate it (I liked it) and if you want a walking simulator that is more surreal, Gone Home is pretty good if you want a walking Simulator that is more down-to-earth.

Deadly Premonition is great, fantastic if you can accept the jank, but it is kind of long (first playthrough if you decide to try and not do side-quests is 15-20 hours, if you decide to do side-quests, which I'd suggest as they're some of the best parts of the game, it can add easily another 5-20 hours to your time).

Lone Survivor is great if you have a classic survival-horror itch, and should take 4-6 hours the first time, and some great replayability (some areas, endings, and side-quests aren't available until the second playthrough, and all the endings, minus 2, are drastically different and help you understand things better).

You actually have a lot of great story games there. To The Moon if you want a game that challenges how game stories are handled with very simple graphics, but very effective execution.
Thanks a lot! Yeah as I said I do like Dear Esther.
After that and Gone Home I might play To The Moon... I've wanted to play it for a very long time, it's been sitting in my library for ages... and provides a nice transition to Lone Survivor, graphics-wise, I guess :p

Acccent

selection of that list of games that are short:
* analogue a hate story: one of my favorites in recent memory, with its expansion hate plus which was my goty for 2013. very unique game and i really enjoy its themes and its writing. really my #1 recommendation of that list (short games only!)
* gone home: similar deal, this one isn't too different from dear esther in terms of what you do, but the story it tells is far more interesting and the way it tells it makes it so that you're actually exploring rather than receiving exposition.
* gunpoint: neat little game, i enjoyed it but never felt like digging deeper in its systems.
* lone survivor: heavily inspired by silent hill and twin peaks, and as a fan of both i loved it tremendously. it's got a goty edition or something now that might or might not fixed the only frustrating part of the game, so that might be good. it's also devved by jasper byrne, the dude that made the mission complete them from hotline miami, so basically a god
* spec ops: i really liked this game and actually i think beat it three times. i'm a big fan of what it tries to tell and how it tells it, even if it's a bit too heavy handed. but you know, people are thick, gamers specially, so it works. i hope it's a precursor for more mainstream games trying to tell deeper stories and introspect on genre tropes and the like
* to the moon: it'll prolly make you cry cos this game is fuckign sweet and sad. some people diss the writing or the characters but i found both pretty lovable. the rpg maker shit is kind of annoying but it's more than bearable
* the void: another one of my faves, this game is beautifully strange. there's no other game like it, it's something of a weird dating sim from hell in that you do weird afterlife gardening and kill grotesque horror games men so you can save your waifus from starvation. and you're given so very little information on how to do any of it. it's a game about stumbling to understand its systems and cherishing every drop of info on its story and its mechanics. i love it!

other than that deus ex is obviously one of the best games of all times and should be played by all capable humans, and deadly premonition is awesome but tedious as hell. psychonauts and brutal legend are both your usual double fine deal of charm and wit and half-baked gameplay. bio 2 is pretty good, and so is home

i didn't care much for mgrr, dear esther, and yet it moves, the longest journey, trauma or swords and sorcery

don't have a full opinion on miasmata yet, although it was initially very interesting but oh so clunky, and haven't played the rest

well and doto's doto

whoosh

Thanks a lot!
Yeah, gonna go [end of] Dear Esther > Gone Home > To The Moon > Lone Survivor
while playing either MGRR or Dragon's Dogma on my PS3 and VLR on my Vita, for some contrast

kulapik

So, as I said the other day, I wanted to repost a key I didn't activate but the nuking didn't work, so I talked to Stump and he helped me, so here it is :p plus, some other thingy I had lying there and that I won't probably play.

Tomorrow, as the finisher, I'll give away a baaaaaaary good game :p

One day to go!

ModBot said:
Instructions for kulapik:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fly'n -- MB-E2BB046FFD0BC1AD - Taken by aku:jiki
Sequence -- MB-09EF6C5F1CF0C08E - Taken by Deques

Deques

So, as I said the other day, I wanted to repost a key I didn't activate but the nuking didn't work, so I talked to Stump and he helped me, so here it is :p plus, some other thingy I had lying there and that I won't probably play.

Tomorrow, as the finisher, I'll give away a baaaaaaary good game :p

One day to go!

Thanks for Sequence

aku:jiki

Wee, thanks for Fly'N! Looks pretty and I need a new platformer after completing Mutant Mudds. Plus our work server's been down for 90 minutes so checking the game out will give me something to do.

fantomena

Will get Child of Light and Trials: Fusion for PS4. I want them on PC, but I can't stand UPlay after all the troubles with SC: Blacklist (update problems), AC3 (I have yet to get the DLCs to work/install) and Black Flag (save fuckups).

Tizoc

Will get Child of Light and Trials: Fusion for PS4. I want them on PC, but I can't stand UPlay after all the troubles with SC: Blacklist and Black Flag.

I'd get it for PS3+PS4 but lately I game mainly on my PC =/ I will gamble this once with Uplay and hopefully only this once...

Dr Dogg

Actually speaking of Child of Light, what's the going rate from traders and are there any region locks?

Probably going to pick up a physical PS3 Deluxe Edition with all the extra swank but do really want it on PC but I'm not taking the chance with uPlay's content delivery ever again.

Actually speaking of Child of Light, what's the going rate from traders and are there any region locks?

Probably going to pick up a physical PS3 Deluxe Edition with all the extra swank but do really want it on PC but I'm not taking the chance with uPlay's content delivery ever again.

You won't get a good deal from traders. There's no region where it's significantly cheaper than the dollar price.

Milamber

I was extremely lucky I stayed relatively within the mattress area and racked up the bounces without self adjusting or using slo-mo and did it in one go.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Will get Child of Light and Trials: Fusion for PS4. I want them on PC, but I can't stand UPlay after all the troubles with SC: Blacklist (update problems), AC3 (I have yet to get the DLCs to work/install) and Black Flag (save fuckups).

Last I heard, consoles have Uplay too.

Dr Dogg

You won't get a good deal from traders. There's no region where it's significantly cheaper than the dollar price.

Yeah I stopped being so lazy and actually went and checked myself :p Cheers for the info though.

It's only a fraction cheaper in Russia than the US. Though us in the UK and Europe do end up paying a few £'s more. Shame I spent the rest of my monthly budget on Anno 1404.

Speaking of which I just got a reply to my support ticket but don't have my credentials to hand. I'll see what the score is with Tages and Steam when I get home.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Professor FizzWhizzle has been yanked:

Removed store name – Professor Fizzwizzle 3 minutes ago

Very glad I bought all of Big Fish's stuff when I did.

Edit: Parking Dash, too:
Removed store name – Parking Dash™ 4 minutes ago

Milamber

Thing I noticed with Uplay on 2070 Deep Ocean expansion is that when my game corrupted my install of 2070 vanilla is that there is no way to verify the install. Either you completely uninstall the disc versions over again and reinstall or go and download the installers from Uplay all over again if you don't have the discs.

Fuck Uplay standalone if you have limited bandwidth, I'd rather have it on Steam with the Uplay overlay.

Child of light is ~ 6 Keys in Ukraine it saved me about €5 on the euro price not sure if its a saving on the $ price though

And it is region free unless Ubisoft add in a region lock later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom