• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

God, F.E.A.R. still has the best gunplay of any shooter I've ever played.

Playing through FEAR at the moment. It has the most satisfying gun play I have experienced. There is nothing quite like slow motion and firing a shotgun and point blank range and seeing the absolute obliteration of the enemy. That the only reason I carry one. It's fucking glorious. Even more amusing since I played it originally on release when my computer was an expensive laptop that could just about run the game at medium at a hit or miss frame rate

Chronoja

Is there a common consensus on which S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game is the best?

Doesn't really matter, just don't believe people who say "skip Clear Sky". People saying it's the worst Stalker game but that's a completely marginal drop in quality, if you like the series you'll probably enjoy Clear Sky anyways since it's just more of the same awesome gameplay for the most part.

Obviously it's all subjective in the end. Some people like Pripyat more, I probably preferred SoC, especially that first time through when the gameplay is fresh and new, the zone is a wildly unforgiving and mysterious place. God damn would I kill for a new properly done Stalker game.

Freezard

God, F.E.A.R. still has the best gunplay of any shooter I've ever played.

By far. Ragdoll effects that are still unmatched... kind of amazing when you think of how old the game is.

On that note, I just finished F.E.A.R. 2... and I think I realize now why people seem to have forgotten about the original game. It wasn't bad, in fact it was pretty good but nowhere near as good a game as F.E.A.R. and I was especially disappointed by the console UI and checkpoint system (plus the sound was super low for some reason).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Here's a kind of interesting fan on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games that might be obvious coming from me... But which of the games would you guys say has the best horror element? I know the series isn't a straight-up horror series at all, but it is the part that appeals most to me and an element I'm aware exists in the games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I'm kind of looking forward to Raven's Cry which is coming out next month.

It looks like a ghetto Assassin's Creed 4 but perhaps with more grit. Developed by Reality Pump (Two Worlds devs) and published by Topware.

According to Topware's website, it's also being released for SteamOS.
So... Linux.

Dr Dogg

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete is highly recommended.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009
http://www.moddb.com/mods/clear-sky-complete
http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-complete

Also felt like I should get some non RPGs off my backlog what with RPG season kicking off at the end of this month so fired up Mark of the Ninja. Taking my time and trying to max out all the challenges per level but damn it am I low down on the leaderboards (Grief is top or in the top 3 on every bloody one so far). I guess I must learn some zen like patience.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, they finally paid what they owed me and took down the game from their site. It was such a gigantic mess.
Nice to know! Do you have any plans on putting The Oil Blue on steam? Got it on a IndieRoyale bundle and really liked it.

I also wonder how many devs are having problems with Strategy First right now with the loads of games they have been putting on Steam lately. After your incident, Paper Monsters and Infected: The Twin's Vaccine, I don't trust them at all.

Caerith

muhahaha! It is, quite literally, the hardest I could make the game without glitching the code. There's not an extra millisecond of time I could shave off to make it faster.

I need to give away some copies of the game, haven't done that in a bit...

That reminds me. When you've got a celebrity making multiple orders, who or what is taking their food?

Dusk Golem

It looks like a ghetto Assassin's Creed 4 but perhaps with more grit. Developed by Reality Pump (Two Worlds devs) and published by Topware.

So... Linux.

That comes out next month? Always interested in action-adventure pirate games that look like they might be very good. Though I feel a bit bad for it as it was in the works way before Assassin Creed 4 was even announced but probably will be compared to it a lot. XD;

Miker

FEAR's gunplay is amazing, but the level design is also amazingly bland after just a few hours. There's very little variety beyond offices and warehouses, and the game doesn't really escalate as much as you'd think. Then there's the end, with the
ghosts
, which was just no fun at all. And it really goes on for a while, too.

FEAR 2 tried to make up for it with more interesting environments, but honestly, I only remember the school.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That comes out next month? Always interested in action-adventure pirate games that look like they might be very good. Though I feel a bit bad for it as it was in the works way before Assassin Creed 4 was even announced but probably will be compared to it a lot. XD;

I was thinking the same thing - the game was announced almost 3 years ago and apparently has been completely (or almost completely) scrapped at least once when they changed developers. Now people are just going to think the game is cashing in on the AssCreed4 bandwagon.

I hope it's good though - we need more solid pirate themed action/rpg games.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Nice to know! Do you have any plans on putting The Oil Blue on steam? Got it on a IndieRoyale bundle and really liked it.

I also wonder how many devs are having problems with Strategy First right now with the loads of games they have been putting on Steam lately. After your incident, Paper Monsters and Infected: The Twin's Vaccine, I don't trust them at all.

Not anymore, nah. Here's why: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93011363

That reminds me. When you've got a celebrity making multiple orders, who or what is taking their food?

I'm sure there's some CSD fan fiction explaining all of that easily. If not, I should write some!

derExperte

The development history has been troubled to say the least. Was started by another studio but they didn't get anywhere so RP began again basically from scratch using their own engine. As a not-hater (fan would be too much) of Risen 2 I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Dusk Golem

Shhhh, FEAR is good, but Monolith's best horror outing I will stay say was Condemned: Criminal Origins. Know not on sale right now, but thought it did the best on atmosphere, scares, and variety. Monolith probably had some of the best teams ever for their combat systems though, FEARs gunplay is still amazing, as is Condemned's melee-combat system.

I need to play Betrayer. I'm also now envisioning a world where Monolith went on to make a game with Condemned's melee combat and FEAR's gunplay, and nailed the atmosphere and got good level designers (some of the levels are good, but I find even Condemned in some places suffers a small bit from bad level design).

DukeBobby

I said I wasn't going to use a guide to complete Fez, but some of these puzzles are ridiculous.

For example, there is no way I could solve the Security Question puzzle by myself. I'm too stupid.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

So... Linux.

It was delayed again until October.

http://www.gamershell.com/news_162333.html

I became a big fan of Reality Pump after the wonderful Two Worlds 2 so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Ravens Cry. Only problem is the time they've had on the game to develop it/take over but I'll give it a go regardless. Hopefully the extra time helps anyway :)

jshackles

It was delayed again until October.

http://www.gamershell.com/news_162333.html

I became a big fan of Reality Pump after the wonderful Two Worlds 2 so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Ravens Cry. Only problem is the time they've had on the game to develop it/take over but I'll give it a go regardless. Hopefully the extra time helps anyway :)

Oh man, that sucks that it got delayed (again). I'll probably forget about it by October.

Dusk Golem

Year Walk is still on my mind after beating it last night. The game knows how to make memorable imagery and create just the right amount of mystery and mood with eerie surrealism and off-kilter music.

r3n4ud

Year Walk is still on my mind after beating it last night. The game knows how to make memorable imagery and create just the right amount of mystery and mood with eerie surrealism
Was not a fan of the game at first, but with my multiple playthroughs I did enjoy it in the end. Nice little game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
perfect day in extreme mode ~~~ 189 orders. Fish, Ice Cream, Coffee, and Corn Dogs. Unfortunately I don't have all six menu slots filled yet, so I haven't got the Impossible Perfect Day achievement :(

Dusk Golem

man why aren't these games on gmg, got all these playfire credits :(

I think it'll get a Steam Sale sometime later this year, or maybe bundled somewhere in the future? Regardless, I hope it does well enough, all I know is that very few people on my friends list own it (I think on GAF the only person who played it on my Friends List is Grief), but a lot of people have it on their wishlist.

Was not a fan of the game at first, but with my multiple playthroughs I did enjoy it in the end. Nice little game.

I'm a sucker for horror and for things with atmosphere and for things with interesting visual styles and folklore inspirations and surrealistic edges, so obviously I loved it pretty quickly, but it's well-executed for what it is.

fantomena

Fuck. The GMG credits are Steam Wallet trading card money all over again.

Just logged on to my GMG account and saw I had 4$ from Playwfire awards, but I can't use them because Im too greedy and only want more.

Dammit.

Positive thing is that I bought Blackgate from GMG for 8$ (5,7€) while it costs 20€ on Steam. :)

Dusk Golem

I really enjoyed the game as well.

Love how the extra ending wraps up everything neatly.

I saw that actually when I was curious to see who on my friend's list owned the game, and you're the only one on it to actually have played it besides me on my friend's list. XD; Which is unfortunate.

The extra ending was fun for me, though I suspect some may not find it as you have to do a lot of reading, but it did some wonderful world building and displays the story in a very different lighting.

Posted some thoughts on it last night as well.

This is probably going to sound funny since the game has been out for years already, but Company of Heroes has easily become one of my favorite games, of all time. It's so intense and gripping and strategic. So much depth, so many variables to think about. Easily the best WW2 game I've played on any platform

r3n4ud

This is probably going to sound funny since the game has been out for years already, but Company of Heroes has easily become one of my favorite games, of all time. It's so intense and gripping and strategic. So much depth, so many variables to think about. Easily the best WW2 game I've played on any platform
Welcome to 2007 man!

Glad you're really enjoying it though. Awesome game.
I saw that actually when I was curious to see who on my friend's list owned the game, and you're the only one on it to actually have played it besides me on my friend's list. XD; Which is unfortunate.

Add me, and then you'll have two friends who played it!

Anteater

I think it'll get a Steam Sale sometime later this year, or maybe bundled somewhere in the future? Regardless, I hope it does well enough, all I know is that very few people on my friends list own it (I think on GAF the only person who played it on my Friends List is Grief), but a lot of people have it on their wishlist.

I'm a sucker for horror and for things with atmosphere and for things with interesting visual styles and folklore inspirations and surrealistic edges, so obviously I loved it pretty quickly, but it's well-executed for what it is.

yea I'll eventually pick it up, being a horror game actually kept me away from the game though :p

Fuck. The GMG credits are Steam Wallet trading card money all over again.

Just logged on to my GMG account and saw I had 4$ from Playwfire awards, but I can't use them because Im too greedy and only want more.

Dammit.

why spend them now when you can accumulate more and spend them on something more expensive ;D

StAidan

You two (Dusk and Grief) convinced me to put Year Walk on my wishlist as well, it looks pretty interesting even though I don't usually go for those types of games. I'm taking a buy break (yeah right) until the Summer Sale though. I never wanted to be one of those guys who buys games faster than I can play them, but joke's on me -- here I am!

Khronico

Have you checked out multiplayer? The amount of depth in it is astounding. So much micromanagement, mind games, and strategy. It's a beautiful thing.

BRB, reinstalling.

Dusk Golem

yea I'll eventually pick it up, being a horror game actually kept me away from the game though :p

That's fair, though if it means anything the game is less scary than it is unsettling and a bit odd. There is a couple jump scares though, but they're somewhat underplayed and not really done unexpectedly as they both happen at moments where things are already incredibly off. Most of the horror comes from the atmosphere and strange beings you encounter, who are in-turn from Scandinavian folklore.

Grief.exe

The extra ending was fun for me, though I suspect some may not find it as you have to do a lot of reading, but it did some wonderful world building and displays the story in a very different lighting.

Posted some thoughts on it last night as well.

Great write up!

It's unfortunate how Year Walk has been ignored on Steam so far.

That's fair, though if it means anything the game is less scary than it is unsettling and a bit odd. There is a couple jump scares though, but they're somewhat underplayed and not really done unexpectedly as they both happen at moments where things are already incredibly off. Most of the horror comes from the atmosphere and strange beings you encounter, who are in-turn from Scandinavian folklore.

Ya, its less of a horror game and more unsettling. I never felt truly scared, just strange.

Caerith

I'm sure there's some CSD fan fiction explaining all of that easily. If not, I should write some!
If there is, I haven't seen it. A quick google search doesn't show any rule 34 for CSD either, so maybe we're better off not knowing.

perfect day in extreme mode ~~~ 189 orders. Fish, Ice Cream, Coffee, and Corn Dogs. Unfortunately I don't have all six menu slots filled yet, so I haven't got the Impossible Perfect Day achievement :(
Impressive. When I get the last two menu slots, I'll probably use slow-cook items like steak to keep the number of customers to a minimum.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Impressive. When I get the last two menu slots, I'll probably use slow-cook items like steak to keep the number of customers to a minimum.

Lobster is working pretty well for me, since un-upgraded it's just got two variants and it takes a long time to make. Ditched ice cream because the number of variants is too high. Corn Dogs, Fish, and Coffee are definitely worth it though.

Fox318

That is very cool.

Does the Android version have controller support as well? Could sideload it onto the FireTV.

Make sure you double check as it is available

NCkMxqc.png

Huh, I just filter the android games on their store and it shows up. So I dunno.

Don't have the game yet so can't answer that but considering the kind of game it is I think touch controls would probably be better than using a controller.

I just checked again. It appears I do have it.

Weird that it wasn't available when I purchased it.

Dusk Golem

Speaking of games I played last night, I haven't beaten it yet, but played Motte Island for about two and a half hours last night, so some quick impressions.

header_292x136.jpg

Motte Island is a top-down flash Indonesian horror game. It's okay. It doesn't do anything particularly bad. When playing it, I wasn't thinking to myself there was any bad element in the game. But it also doesn't really excel at anything, just a few elements that I felt were good, but big parts feel like they're just not well-executed.

The story is a mess. Like, I haven't played a game with a story this much of a mess in a long time. It's not terrible, but definitely the game's worst point so far. It's just badly executed. The characters have some broken English, the story's pace is going way too fast, and interesting plot elements are undermined by this bad dialog and terrible pacing. And the characters are not interesting. The villain literally comes out and tells his evil plan early into the game, and then says outloud something incredibly stupid that basically amounts to, "I would kill you here, but we haven't killed strangers in a long time, so wait right here while I go fetch everyone so we can all kill you." Like, that's almost exactly what he says. He doesn't even imply it or anything, he just says it. And a lot of dialog in the game is like that, where they just outright say stuff, even if it's incredibly stupid they're doing so. Plot is as subtle as a brick on fire screeching out obscenities.

Which is a shame as the game does actually have a some pretty good music, pretty good drawn art to go with the cutscenes, and the game itself has a pretty good atmosphere with a pretty impressive 2D lighting engine. The in-game art isn't half-bad either, though I end up confusing some of the people you can talk too with objects (top-down angle, this one bald guy I thought was a lantern for example).

Unfortunately as its top-down the game is a bit more action-focused than I would like. And there's a few annoying things, like enemies that sometimes respawn when you leave and re-enter a room. Or weird design decisions, like regenerating health. And coupled with some bad level design.

But there are a few interesting ideas here, like when you die you drop your flashlight and have a limited time to go and try to pick-it up. If you don't pick-it up in time, or get hit again before you do, you get a game-over. Some sections go to a first-person, on-rails type gameplay angle. The enemies have been getting progressively more interesting as the game goes on, and some of the scares have legitimately got me. There's even a completely optional stealth mechanic that is actually fairly-well integrated.

But then it does stupid stuff, like too much back-tracking, or how it's really hard to sometimes tell what is something you can pick up in the environment, making them easy to miss, which is a big problem when hunting for key items which for some reason are much harder to spot than weapons, or how some of the level design feels uninspired...

It's not bad, but I can't say it's good either. It's kind of just okay, which is a shame as there's some things to like here, but it's bogged down by flaws that make the good parts a bit less enjoyable. Not to the point the game gets to the point of being bad, but makes it a hard title to recommend or to fully get into when playing.

Could be worth a shake if you're curious enough or like top-down horror games a lot or something, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom