• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kulapik

18 years from this exact moment, I was born, so that kicks off my big giveaway. I was hoping to do a bigger one, but Steam is always at it :( Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for kulapik:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

GOAT Simulator -- MB-3649A3012F20AC81 - Taken by masterkajo. 63 entrants total.

t1397601877z1.png

Caerith

Lobster is working pretty well for me, since un-upgraded it's just got two variants and it takes a long time to make. Ditched ice cream because the number of variants is too high. Corn Dogs, Fish, and Coffee are definitely worth it though.
The only thing I don't like about lobster is that it isn't fire & forget, but that cook time is pretty nice. I think the only time I used ice cream in the normal game was when I was forced to for a challenge-- for the number of variants, I'd rather use sushi and work on the exotic pin.

18 years from this exact moment, I was born, so that kicks off my big giveaway. I was hoping to do a bigger one, but Steam is always at it :( Good luck!
Happy incept date-versary!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of games I played last night, I haven't beaten it yet, but played Motte Island for about two and a half hours last night, so some quick impressions.

Could be worth a shake if you're curious enough or like top-down horror games a lot or something, though.

Shame, I was hoping it would be better. Guess I'll wait until it's inevitably bundled.

18 years from this exact moment, I was born, so that kicks off my big giveaway.

Happy birthday!

Overdoziz

Banned
Uninstalled Gueacamelee. A lot of frustration with very little satisfying. I was at the final boss and I'm sure I could've beaten it eventually, but I really couldn't be bothered.

Levyne

Banned
Uninstalled Gueacamelee. A lot of frustration with very little satisfying. I was at the final boss and I'm sure I could've beaten it eventually, but I really couldn't be bothered.

Aww :(

The final boss owned me the first time I went to him but you just implement one or two little tricks and he becomes a lot easier.

Such as
jumping away
instead of
dodging

But too late now :<

Overdoziz

Banned
Aww :(

The final boss owned me the first time I went to him but you just implement one or two little tricks and he becomes a lot easier.

Such as
jumping away
instead of
dodging

But too late now :<
I actually got to his second form, but while trying to beat it I just came to the conclusion that the frustration is just not worth the reward.
I usually don't get frustrated much by games. Games like Dark Souls and Trials can actually be quite relaxing to me. Guacamelee just has something that makes it frustrating when you're getting hit by enemies. Can't really pin-point what the issue is, but it just makes for a frustrating ordeal.

Thanks for the Gun Monkeys matches, derExperte.

I actually got to his second form, but while trying to beat it I just came to the conclusion that the frustration is just not worth the reward.
I usually don't get frustrated much by games. Games like Dark Souls and Trials can actually be quite relaxing to me. Guacamelee just has something that makes it frustrating when you're getting hit by enemies. Can't really pin-point what the issue is, but it just makes for a frustrating ordeal.

The Jaguar and the 1st form of the final boss are more annoying until you learn how to dodge and patiently counter attack. 2nd form of the final boss is pretty easy overall -- he's got like 4-5 attacks and each has a dead giveaway startup animation.

Sorry you found it frustrating though -- I can't imagine how Dark Souls is relaxing and Guacamelee is frustrating, but hey, we all have different points of view. ;)

Anteater

hmm, I think you might be missing something with the last boss, he only has a few attacks which can be dodged easily, I died fighting him without knowing to use crouch to dodge one of his attacks since I've never used it the entire game :p The rest are basically just moving away.

Oh I remember the first form was kind of lame, because you don't get to hit him much when you get the chance so it's a bit grindy.

Sorry you found it frustrating though -- I can't imagine how Dark Souls is relaxing and Guacamelee is frustrating, but hey, we all have different points of view. ;)

That's actually how I felt too. I liked Guacamelee a lot and finished it, but it was quite frustrating for me toward the end. I sucked at all the switching light/dark and matching attacks to the colors. I'm still working my way through Dark Souls, but I rarely get frustrated playing it. Shrug.

Anteater

The Jaguar and the 1st form of the final boss are more annoying until you learn how to dodge and patiently counter attack. 2nd form of the final boss is pretty easy overall -- he's got like 4-5 attacks and each has a dead giveaway startup animation.

Jaguar man was actually the highlight for me, even though that shitty shield was annoying but I got through it, it was kind of intense :0

The last boss was weak though but the last dungeon was incredibly fun.

nampad

Have fun:
ModBot said:
Instructions for nampad:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-0D7CC84DECE03886 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 9 entrants total.
Xotic Complete -- MB-A9A45A68690EC218 - Taken by Sarcasm. 5 entrants total.
The 7th Guest -- MB-A38F519273A8D2FB - Taken by Vecks. 12 entrants total.
Jolly Rover -- MB-FCE17F34EFF08868 - Taken by r3n4ud. 7 entrants total.
Runespell Overture -- MB-2A9F2B9FCAD57699 - Taken by Garcia. 6 entrants total.
Probably Archery -- MB-CFCB15EBD9C809F3 - Taken by FauX. 8 entrants total.

t1397528626z1.png

Made the mistake of purchasing The Force Unleashed from Gamefly because it was about $5 cheaper. Now I have to deal with their terrible download manager that stalls every three minutes and won't break past 870kbps even though my down is 89.64mbps.

As broke as I am, I've been seriously considering just eating the $15 loss and buying it on Steam because of how awful this is.

BiggNife

FEAR's gunplay is amazing, but the level design is also amazingly bland after just a few hours. There's very little variety beyond offices and warehouses, and the game doesn't really escalate as much as you'd think. Then there's the end, with the
ghosts
, which was just no fun at all. And it really goes on for a while, too.

FEAR 2 tried to make up for it with more interesting environments, but honestly, I only remember the school.

Yeah, I'm actually one of those people who liked FEAR 2 more because the environments were way more interesting. It's true that the AI isn't as good but it's still totally fine. FEAR 1's office buildings are so bland that it feels like they just copied and pasted the same three buildings.

vg260

Been waiting on a CSD sale sine I missed the holiday Steam sale. I guess I'll wait for a Humble Store sale now if it gives both versions.

I said I wasn't going to use a guide to complete Fez, but some of these puzzles are ridiculous.

For example, there is no way I could solve the Security Question puzzle by myself. I'm too stupid.

There is no shame, son. I don't think that game expects a single person to figure it all out by themselves.

Exuro

I think I finally have a clue about the update/play now dialog box -- has anyone else been having problems with it?
I was going to reply to your bigger post by saying you should be able to manually download previous versions of games kind of like how you can download beta versions that the devs put out.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I hope I did this right...

Aye, you did it exactly right. Many thanks for the game, I'm sure with it I can become an accomplished surgeon in no time with such a simulator.

My girlfriend who is an actual surgeon is now laughing at this idea. So, there you go, you brought laughter to my household.

Speaking of games I played last night, I haven't beaten it yet, but played Motte Island for about two and a half hours last night, so some quick impressions.

Thanks for this. Poor back-tracking in games is a good way to kill interest in a title for me, so I believe I shall skip this one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Aye, you did it exactly right. Many thanks for the game, I'm sure with it I can become an accomplished surgeon in no time with such a simulator.

My girlfriend who is an actual surgeon is now laughing at this idea. So, there you go, you brought laughter to my household.

I always wondered what real surgeons thought of the game. I guess it's a bit akin to actual guitarists playing Guitar Hero. Or a forklift driver playing this game.

Now you just need to convince her to play the game on Twitch with commentary.

Blizzard

Banned
I was going to reply to your bigger post by saying you should be able to manually download previous versions of games kind of like how you can download beta versions that the devs put out.
Yeah, that would be even better, but at minimum I would just like to be able to opt out, even though I know that's only useful in some cases. Here is what I have so far.

steam_update6veo1.png

So, remember my eternal quest, complaining about how Steam doesn't let you opt out of updates? Finally, a few months back, this dialog box started coming up, and I thought they had finally added the reasonable feature.

Then after another month or so, it stopped working for me. Quite recently there was a thread where some people such as myself mentioned it didn't work, and other people mentioned they still DID get the dialog box.

Today I got the dialog box again, and here is my current theory, though it's stupid if it really works this way:
  • If you set a game to NOT automatically download updates, and then try to launch it once an update has become available, you are forced to download the update. No choice, you cannot play it until it is fully updated. If you went offline this might also prevent you from playing the game at all, but I didn't test that.
  • If you set a game to automatically download updates, the default, BUT IT HAS NOT YET UPDATED because it on the download queue behind other games, then you will get that play/update prompt when you launch it.
Valve please, why can't we just always get the dialog box? ;_; Sometimes people don't want to update games. It's not a huge request!

Aitor

have fun
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Broken Sword 2 -- MB-410C48B71E15B621 - Taken by FauX
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-16A30BD78481AC78 - Taken by Ingueferroque

Pakkidis

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/toxic-bundle/

GRRR. Really torn on this new toxic bundle. I have never played the stalker series before but I don't just want one game. I would rather pay a bit more and get all three.

The other games aren't bad, but don't really interest me either. Decisions Decisions....

What do you guys think of the bundle? Have some of you played most of the games?

Levyne

Banned
Hey Steam gaf. Audio question.

My computer seems to be making a buzzing noise. I recently installed an ASUS card. Uh, this one. The buzzing is light and only present if no other sound is playing. As soon as I have any audio play, it will go away, and they slowly build back up when nothing is sounding off. Doesn't matter if I output speakers or headphones. I'd tried googling but most issues seems to be for a more drastic, permanent buzzing problem. For instance, this doesn't affect me in a game or movie or stream. But when I tab to read Neogaf and the buzzing begins, it's a bit annoying :/

Advice?

rtcn63

Hey Steam gaf. Audio question.

My computer seems to be making a buzzing noise. I recently installed an ASUS card. Uh, this one. The buzzing is light and only present if no other sound is playing. As soon as I have any audio play, it will go away, and they slowly build back up when nothing is sounding off. Doesn't matter if I output speakers or headphones. I'd tried googling but most issues seems to be for a more drastic, permanent buzzing problem. For instance, this doesn't affect me in a game or movie or stream. But when I tab to read Neogaf and the buzzing begins, it's a bit annoying :/

Advice?

Interference? I can hear buzzing when I scroll my mouse, etc.

HoosTrax

I always wondered what real surgeons thought of the game. I guess it's a bit akin to actual guitarists playing Guitar Hero. Or a forklift driver playing this game.

I don't know the answer to that one, but I was kind of amused at the article an actual goat farmer wrote re: her experiences with Goat Simulator.

Goatmyth by goatmyth, she debunks them all: “Goats are picky eaters; they do not eat everything. They like Rolling Rock, not Natty Light. They use their tongues for flirting, not for dragging people into oncoming traffic. They are affectionate creatures who fall asleep on your lap.”

She articulates, “They.Are Not.Killing.Machines.” She harrumphs—indignant at my obvious lack of respect.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Once we got past the cartoony aesthetics and played a bit of it, she admitted to having nightmares like this back when she was doing her surgery rotation. Arms just out of control, no dexterity, organs being flung about, etc.

I did get a laugh at the start of the first thing and her immediate response was "oh he's already dead" in response to the lack of proper covering and prep.

Levyne

Banned
Interference? I can hear buzzing when I scroll my mouse, etc.

Maybe. It's just weird that it only kicks in when nothing else plays. Like the soundcard is bored, haha. Even the windows "ping" after moving the volume slider will cut it out for a bit.

Miker

Does anyone have any personal experience with the PC port of Beyond Good & Evil? I recall hearing it was kind of awful.

No, but I think I've heard similarly bad things about the port. I have, however, played the XBLA version and I can vouch for that being pretty solid. All widescreened up and looks decent enough too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom