• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Man just noticed Wolfenstein is 59.99USD I mean yeah not as bad as other regions. But i've just gotten to used to 49.99 being the PC gaming standard. Will hold out for a GMG 25% off coupon or something.

I haven't grumbled about SR2 vs SR3 for a while and had a few spare minutes so here we go:

Superior story and sense of progression through the game. In SR2, you're up against 3 different gangs which you can choose to tackle in any order and then Ultor. Stillwater was a far more interesting environment to explore than Steelport.

SR2's length is superior to both its sequels, it has more content, activities are not passed off as missions like they are in SR3. SR2 straddles the line between GTA's "super serious" and all out wacky nonsense far better than SR3 + 4 did. Better gangs - the Ronin and Brotherhood alone are leagues ahead of anything in 3 and 4.

Gang vs gang warfare was better handled in SR2, reinforcements and other gangs would frequently turn up while I was embroiled in combat in SR2 and you'd end up fighting a battle on multiple fronts - it was great, it was more fun because the gangs weren't just after you, they also hated each other. I don't recall this being the case in 3/4, where I'm pretty sure it was just 3 gangs versus you.

Character motivation -
your character was betrayed and blown up at the end of SR1,
2 chronicles their tale of revenge whilst also building up the bonds between the core Saints crew. This is absolutely critical in establishing the boss as a character (and their relationship with the other Saints) for the sequels. 3's motivation is "lol, someone stole our money" and 4 is "lol, aliens". It's a serious departure from the series roots imo. It comes down to presentation and tone really, SR2 made me feel like I was this badass gangster exacting revenge and taking back Stillwater, in 3 and 4 I was a larger than than life comedic villain, and even with Laura Bailey voicing the boss (how I wish she'd have been in SR2), the villainous highs of SR2 just weren't there. Removing Gat and completely changing Shaundi for SR3 also didn't help matters for fans imo, though this was somewhat rectified in SR4.

The recurring arguments I see against this tend to center around SR3 "is just plain fun" and "its now its own thing", which don't really tackle the core issue I have which is that they replaced a decent core storyline about gang warfare and crime with giant pink dildos. (and yes I'm being facetious here).

I'll concede that SR3 and 4 have nicer gameplay, which is to be expected as they're sequels, I enjoyed them both for what they were but they certainly aren't what I was after following SR2, which had perfectly positioned itself to take over GTA:SA's reins after Rockstar fumbled with GTA4. If they'd have been able to blend the gameplay of 3 with 2's narrative and tone I'd have been far happier.

*wipes tear*

I will forever be butthurt over Saints Row 3 and 4. I could sit here all day and still not run out of things to complain about. I won't be so quick to pre-order Saints Row 5, I'll just wait for a sale on the GOTY edition this time (assuming they don't bring back Saints Row 2 features, because if they do that I'll be there day one).

derExperte

I just did. If it's lame, I'm going to hold you personally responsible and will expect violent retribution.

I will definitely hit you for not liking the game. 'Cause then there's something wrong in your head which we must correct asap.

Car Mechanic Simulator fall into the same class. Fantastic production values coupled with creative puzzle-like gameplay make it a standout in a sea of crap. Killer original soundtrack too.

Watching the trailer after reading your post at least made me put it on my wishlist.

Lunaniem

Man just noticed Wolfenstein is 59.99USD I mean yeah not as bad as other regions. But i've just gotten to used to 49.99 being the PC gaming standard. Will hold out for a GMG 25% off coupon or something.

I'm hoping for a GMG coupon + Dark Souls 2 rewards to get it for cheap.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/201810/

Wolfenstein is up for pre-order, contains TF2 items.

wolfensteinTF2web.png

Well, looks like I was wrong about Bethesda waiting until it had concrete Doom 4 beta details to divulge, but at least it's pre-purchaseable now.

Copons

Pricing error, likely, on Velocity Ultra at the Humble Store - $0.89 as I type this: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/velocityultra_storefront

Base price of $2.99 was more like what the original PS Minis version was, not the one on Steam right now.

Holy shit Humble sure is fast and crafty, stealth-AJAX-ing just the friggin price while I was checking the game on Steam.
No reload no nothing: one second it was 0.81€, the next it was 2.49€. Unbelievable.

Let's hope Valve won't ever notice how far technology has gone, or next sales will be way less fun. :(

Miker

Thanks for Oniken, jshackles! Looks like a good time. I just beat the Mega Man Zero games (1-4 on DS collection), so maybe this one won't immediately kick my ass. Also, watching the trailer, it looks more like Strider than Contra. Looks awesome either way.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Which is the most open-world-ish game in the LEGO sale?

LEGO The Lord Of The Rings in terms of the idea of an active open-world you can go around seeing various creatures and people doing things, desire to explore for many just to see what it looks like.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes in terms of just a huge area with multiple activities to do, hidden objects to locate, the ever moving Stan Lee to rescue, things to locate above and beyond even other LEGO games. I would also say the most open-world in terms of travel thanks to the huge amount of characters to play as, from Ice Man with his Ice Bridges to Spider-Man's web swings to various flying characters.

LEGO Batman 2 DC Super Heroes in terms of the most well constructed open-world, well open-city, with good design on what to see and do. Alas it's not as full as the other games and most of it's open-world aspect enjoyment comes from how much you want to ride the Batmobile or fly as Superman.

Not on Steam so it doesn't help you or answer your question, but I have to say it every time LEGO comes up, LEGO City Undercover for Wii-U is the best open world game they have. Also best story. Also best riding a t-rex.

-MD-

FEZ is great, playing it for the first time and I'm loving it. Not using a guide as it would spoil the fun.

A friend gifted me Fez awhile back and I really tried to like it, I put a solid 6 hours into it and just dropped it cause I got fed up.

Then they added it to playfire many months later so I figured I'd go through again with a guide to see if I wasn't giving it enough of a chance but no, even with a guide I couldn't help but shake my head at the stuff this game expects of you as a player.

I decided to write an in-depth review last night for my steam pals.

RMGarSP.png

aku:jiki

I don't think I understand Valve curation, but I guess no one else does either judging from previous comments in this thread. I just don't get why some unfinished, My First Flash Game-style, early alpha piece of crap like Imagine Me gets to be on Steam proper, but fantastic-looking and finished games languish on Greenlight for like 3 years.

Yeah, I'm mostly just annoyed that I wasted 5 minutes of my life on Imagine Me.

I don't think I understand Valve curation, but I guess no one else does either judging from previous comments in this thread. I just don't get why some unfinished, My First Flash Game-style, early alpha piece of crap like Imagine Me gets to be on Steam proper, but fantastic-looking and finished games languish on Greenlight for like 3 years.

Does Valve curate the store at all now? I was under the impression that they did not.

Jawmuncher

A friend gifted me Fez awhile back and I really tried to like it, I put a solid 6 hours into it and just dropped it cause I got fed up.

Then they added it to playfire many months later so I figured I'd go through again with a guide to see if I wasn't giving it enough of a chance but no, even with a guide I couldn't help but shake my head at the stuff this game expects of you as a player.

RMGarSP.png

I love it. I only played the first area but I could tell it wasn't for me.

HoosTrax

I dunno, I try not to judge when a game uses Flash. I don't like it from a technical perspective, but I've played some great games that looked like ass and were written in either Flash or Adobe Air. VVVVVV, Defender's Quest, Epic Battle Fantasy (this one doesn't look like ass, but is written in Flash), etc.

Salsa

Call of Duty jokes yeaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

I kid, but I dont know what's wrong with hard games that require you to do stuff a bit differently. I was able to complete Fez without resorting to guides, lots of people were, and it was really satisfying

Copons

RMGarSP.png

Seconded!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/copons/recommended/224760

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Did you add AO to your favorites? The app has to be running in the background for it to work when relaunching the game.

Good luck, man! I'm sure you can get this working.

Yes, the game was running in borderless window, but it crashed. I wasn't very clear, sorry. And thanks for the moral support. :lol

louiedog

All the FEZ negativity :(

What's wrong with you people.

I can help with some positivity.

I finished it on XBLA the first weekend it was out. I started it up on Saturday with the intention of just getting a few achievements and ended up putting in 7-8 hours over the weekend and hitting 209.4%. I didn't expect to get sucked in again.

-MD-

I kid, but I dont know what's wrong with hard games that require you to do stuff a bit differently. I was able to complete Fez without resorting to guides, lots of people were

Because the game presents puzzles to you that are impossible to solve without reaching NG+ and using the unlocked "feature" which is just awful and it never explains that to you.

When I played through the game it fake crashed like 4 times, it wasn't even amusing the first time, why do it so much? Totally confusing trying to find a certain area, transitioning areas felt like they took forever, I'd walk through a door, wait 10 seconds for it to transition, notice I went in the wrong door, go back in the door, wait 10 seconds for a transition, do that 20 more times until I got to where I needed to go. I'm glad I played through for the playfire achievements but the game had absolutely no payoff for the amount of effort it requires to play through to 100% completion.

Just hated it and if I would have felt so burned if I had tried finishing it on my own. This is the first time I've used a guide for a video game in like 10 years it annoyed me so much. I liked the visuals and music.

Some people think that indie games are junk

I absolutely love indie games, so much so that my friends shit on me for liking them so much.

Hard to levy criticism at something solely due to the difficulty or not understanding. They can be valid criticisms, but only if they make the product worse as a whole.

I don't really think that is the case here, especially as the base game isn't all that difficult. I have 28 cubes so far and haven't used a guide.

I'm speculating here, but it seems the difficulty would come in solving some of the more convoluted puzzles in NG+. Which may hang people up if they don't skip those sections during their first play.

It really has nothing to do with the game's difficulty, it's that it openly displays puzzles that you are unable to solve until you complete the game first, I probably wasted 3 hours of my first 6 hour playthrough trying to solve puzzles that I could have never possibly solved because I didn't beat the game first and it never bothered explaining this. And due to that I had many puzzles that were sitting there that I couldn't solve so I originally thought the game was too difficult for me and the puzzles were going over my head, only did I realize after reading a guide and learning about NG+ did I feel burned. If the game simply explained that certain puzzles will only be solvable after you finish the game and the map/world was easier to navigate I think I would have loved it.

HoosTrax

All the FEZ negativity :(

What's wrong with you people.
The indie scene reminds me of an ouroboros sometimes; it just loves to eat its own. Get too popular/successful/outspoken and you'll get no end of flak (Jon Blow, Phil, Notch, in particular).

Not referring to legitimate criticism, but the "haterade" style stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom