• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
kinda tempted to pick up Lego Marvel

still havent played Lego Batman 2

should I?

If it's $5 now it'll be $5 again soon enough, if not even less. 1st rule to backlog management is that if you aren't going to play it now then wait till the next sale.

However, if you just want to know if it's a good game: Yes, it's good. Might even be the best lego game.

Tomodachi

LEGO The Lord Of The Rings in terms of the idea of an active open-world you can go around seeing various creatures and people doing things, desire to explore for many just to see what it looks like.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes in terms of just a huge area with multiple activities to do, hidden objects to locate, the ever moving Stan Lee to rescue, things to locate above and beyond even other LEGO games. I would also say the most open-world in terms of travel thanks to the huge amount of characters to play as, from Ice Man with his Ice Bridges to Spider-Man's web swings to various flying characters.

LEGO Batman 2 DC Super Heroes in terms of the most well constructed open-world, well open-city, with good design on what to see and do. Alas it's not as full as the other games and most of it's open-world aspect enjoyment comes from how much you want to ride the Batmobile or fly as Superman.

Not on Steam so it doesn't help you or answer your question, but I have to say it every time LEGO comes up, LEGO City Undercover for Wii-U is the best open world game they have. Also best story. Also best riding a t-rex.

Woah, thanks a lot for this. I went with LEGO Marvel since what you said is basically what I wanted, I was asking for a huge open-world with some stuff to do or even just wandering around because I want to show the game to my nephew who is four years old and loves LEGO and superheroes, and a linear game could be boring for him to just watch.

LEGO City is the one and only reason I'll definitely get a WiiU sometimes in the future, I want that game so damn much but I'm not comfortable getting a console just for that so I'm waiting for an even lower price :(

-MD-

Hat in Time alpha is out for backers? That is coming to Steam, but only just realized as a friend is streaming it. Any recent news on the product? This alpha could be old for all I know.

EDIT: Yup, alpha released late February apparently. Somehow this went completely by me. But there is a recent news thing of a new area shown off a week ago, so that's cool too. Anticipating this title.

One of the few games this year I'm highly anticipating, would've killed for an alpha but I'm far too broke to throw money at an alpha.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the game on release.

Benedict

So since I feel bad for the guys who missed out on the price mistake, and since giving it away with modbot would be boring....

Giveaway time
Reply to this post with something hilarious. Funniest one after an hour or so gets Velocity Ultra.
(No one is allowed to use that TWAU gif, won't be fair otherwise).

Shrinkage?

Indie gala says you can add money to your account to get over the average but I can't find the option. Any help?

I submitted the order literally minutes before the first day average deal shot up and there was an error so it didn't go through and I just click go again and it went up so now I have a 4 dollar order just sitting there :/

Edit: nvm figured it out.

AHA-Lambda

If it's $5 now it'll be $5 again soon enough, if not even less. 1st rule to backlog management is that if you aren't going to play it now then wait till the next sale.

rvKFwxD.gif

Salsa

my issue with the LEGO games is the fact that you basically can't die

that always kills the fun when I try to do local co-op. End up playing them myself cause I still enjoy them but for some reason playing co-op with no challenge at all gets boring

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
One of the few games this year I'm highly anticipating, would've killed for an alpha but I'm far too broke to throw money at an alpha.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the game on release.

I kickstarted it, but went for the limited exclusive hat tier. I generally don't like alphas for games with stories because then if I enjoy it I'll have to wait and when it comes out I'll just play a more complete version of a stage I already know.

Hanzou

I really should have signed up for playfire when it launched in December. I thought it was UK only as it works in pounds. Signed up yesterday and already have $2.

Tomodachi

A friend gifted me Fez awhile back and I really tried to like it, I put a solid 6 hours into it and just dropped it cause I got fed up.

Then they added it to playfire many months later so I figured I'd go through again with a guide to see if I wasn't giving it enough of a chance but no, even with a guide I couldn't help but shake my head at the stuff this game expects of you as a player.

I decided to write an in-depth review last night for my steam pals.

That's funny, I gifted FEZ to a friend as well and he finished it a few days ago. We usually love and hate the same games, sometimes it's scary how similar our tastes in gaming are, but FEZ... I simply loved it, he hated it for the same reasons you do, apparently.

Below! is looking great so far from the stuff that came out of PAX. Granted I was sold at the top down Dark Souls vibe people having been going on about but it looks a lot more like an exploration kind of affair which is even better for me.

Below
Transistor
Hyper Light Drifter
Witness
Hotline Miami 2
Battleblock Theater

and probably dozen others I'm forgetting

this year is shaping up nicely

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
my issue with the LEGO games is the fact that you basically can't die

that always kills the fun when I try to do local co-op. End up playing them myself cause I still enjoy them but for some reason playing co-op with no challenge at all gets boring

If you want that challenge, you could simply restart the linear levels right from the start just like a good old fashion game. The challenge for me, though I admit is not much, is still the "not to die" and collect everything by myself or with another and that doesn't disappear simply because the checkpoint is instantly right where I just died.

Woah, thanks a lot for this. I went with LEGO Marvel since what you said is basically what I wanted, I was asking for a huge open-world with some stuff to do or even just wandering around because I want to show the game to my nephew who is four years old and loves LEGO and superheroes, and a linear game could be boring for him to just watch.

LEGO City is the one and only reason I'll definitely get a WiiU sometimes in the future, I want that game so damn much but I'm not comfortable getting a console just for that so I'm waiting for an even lower price :(

No problem my friend, I hope you and your nephew enjoy it. My daughter is the same age and she easily enjoyed watched me play it (she doesn't like to play herself), and most of that joy came from helping out Stan Lee who got in ever more peculiar trouble as the game went on or just playing around with the various super heroes and seeing how they transformed or travelled.

topyy

ModBot said:
Instructions for topyy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Postmortem One Must Die Extended Cut -- MB-92270A43F5E3DD02 - Taken by Sub Zero. 13 entrants total.
Doorways -- MB-F61DE711FE64EC67 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 13 entrants total.
Huntsman The Orphanage Halloween Edition -- MB-02533D8B986FE9D0 - Taken by tylergregg. 2 entrants total.
Supreme Commander -- MB-5472E4C3F11319AE - Taken by Vlad. 6 entrants total.
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance -- MB-EEC1A14A565E3126 - Taken by cardinalmind. 6 entrants total.
Little Racers STREET -- MB-20F0498C15EBBDD7 - Taken by -MD-. 5 entrants total.
Not The Robots -- MB-FF1BCA38AE2BA922 - Taken by Baron von Loathsome. 6 entrants total.
Driftmoon -- MB-3B2F7B1AAFB4A8FE - Taken by Phinor. 2 entrants total.

t1397601440z1.png

Please, do go on and on about the negatives of SR2. I love the game and would love to hear why someone hates it.

Hahaha.
Off the top of my head?
It was the first time they decided to make the "over the top/absurd" thing their signature and the humour didn't resonate with me.
The addition of the "activities", most of which had HORRIBLE controls, goals, or both was not enjoyable to me.
It always drove me nuts that the voice selection for a male character was basically "Esse", "50 Cent", or "Brit". That just bugged me as I made a white character and the only logical voice to choose was the Brit, but it really didn't fit with anything else.
But by far, the biggest problem of SR2 for me was that they kept the RESPECT system as a method of locking story content and forcing you to try the annoying and mostly unenjoyable (at least at the higher "levels"). Would I be as anti-SR2 as I am if I could've ignored the side missions entirely? No sir.

So when SR3 showed up, I shunned it, because it was even more over the top (although, I admit I actually found some things funny in SR3 where I thought I would just be unamused as I was in SR2... I guess the ridiculous nature of some of the stuff (Professor Genki) actually resonated in a way) and I didn't know they had changed the Respect system to be experience points for unlocking bonus abilities. I had a ridiculous amount of fun with SR3 and I really thought very little of the series after the first two games. I have yet to play 4 because I spent so much time on 3 I needed a break from the Sandbox genre and SR in general.

DukeBobby

Only 5 more cubes left to get in Fez. I've avoided using a guide for the most part, but some of the puzzles are just...ugh.

Great game, though. The soundtrack is fantastic too.

Once you figure out the alphabet and number system, most of the puzzles are pretty easy. Some of them can go die in a fire though (that fucking Black Monolith puzzle...). The red cubes are really, really hard to get.

louiedog

Only 5 more cubes left to get in Fez. I've avoided using a guide for the most part, but some of the puzzles are just...ugh.

Once you figure out the alphabet and number system, most of the puzzles are pretty easy. Some of them can go die in a fire though (that fucking Black Monolith puzzle...). The red cubes are really, really hard to get.

Despite how much I like the game there's no way I'd ever renounce my position that a couple of puzzles, once figured out, are pretty hateful in their execution. Even when you know the solution getting the cubes out of them is a crappy experience that leads to frustration.

Well that explains why I never got very far in that game. I had no idea there was an alphabet or number system. Doh.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Speaking of Kickstarted projects, here's some small image updates from a few Kickstarter projects already gotten through Greenlight on Steam.

Homesick (first-person exploration horror game with bigger focus on atmosphere and narrative than scares):

Freedom Planet (Sonic + Mega Man + Gunstar Heroes clone, basically)

Asylum (Horror game made by the same people who made Scratches: Director's Cut)

Other stuff too, but all the coming alongs~

Dr Dogg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ND0uSz5MJw

.... shit, this looks great

well, dont need to rush either way, sale's gonna stay

Don't do this to me Salsa. I'm going to end up dropping everything and get on the LEGO Marvel train.

Below
Transistor
Hyper Light Drifter
Witness
Hotline Miami 2
Battleblock Theater

and probably dozen others I'm forgetting

this year is shaping up nicely

Yeah this year is shaping up quiet nicely on the Indie front. Asides from what you listed I've got a keen eye on Invisible Inc, klei's new game.

Baha

A few extras from the last Humble Bundle...

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Offspring Fling -- MB-FE9FD78D1366C66F - Taken by -MD-
Magical Diary -- MB-A8FDE0BC206E53B3 - Taken by Cth
NEO Scavenger -- MB-866EC36ABE81A7F1 - Taken by woo and indeed hoo

Aaron D.

I picked up LEGO Marvel even though I just installed Batman 2 just a short while ago.

And looking over the YouTube sandbox gameplay from Marvel, I'm damn glad I did.

At $5 a pop, I take no issue with my backlog. Less than the price of a beer each. Besides, they're the only two LEGO IP's I've been slightly interested in since Star Wars Ep. 4-6.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't find Fez fun enough to play past the first half-hour so. To be fair, I played Super Paper Mario for a few hours at most. The dimension-change mechanic does nothing for me other than feed unwanted OCD. I could really only see collect-a-thon lovers truly loving the game.
As someone who considers SPM the best Nintendo game ever made, this makes me sad.

rtcn63

As someone who considers SPM the best Nintendo game ever made, this makes me sad.

I liked Paper Mario a lot more, though I stopped in the wrestling chapter due to monotony. SPM had a greater focus on platforming, but the platforming wasn't particularly fun. I'd of rather played New Super Mario Bros.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I never understood how someone even begins to decipher the alphabet. Is there some kind of Rosetta stone or something in-game?

I liked Fez, but I hate it at the same time. It's a joy to play, it looks beautiful and the soundtrack is delicious. But it also makes me feel like the stupidest guy in the planet, and I hate myself for not being able to solve many puzzles. I couldn't even get to the
Game Boy-colored room
, and I finished the game with the minimum amount of cubes needed.

I think you can get pretty far (and even get enough cubes to finish the game) without knowing the alphabet.
Indeed, this is how I "beat" the game.

I liked Paper Mario a lot more, though I stopped in the wrestling chapter due to monotony. SPM had a greater focus on platforming, but the platforming wasn't particularly fun. I'd of rather played New Super Mario Bros.
Oh, that one's actually The Thousand-Year Door, lol. I loved the Great Gonzales chapter, thought it was incredibly funny. And you missed what's possibly the best part of the game, chapter 6
(the one on the train)

And regarding SPM, I loved having several pixls with different abilities each, and also different characters. The flip mechanic was pure genius, though if you don't like perspective changes then it's understandable that it didn't do anything for you. But to me the writing was far better than I've seen in any other Nintendo game, and I even liked it more than that of most other games I've played.

Tellaerin

I never understood how someone even begins to decipher the alphabet. Is there some kind of Rosetta stone or something in-game?

There is, literally. I thought the way it was done was actually kind of clever.

There's an area in the forest with a monolith and a couple of animals playing. If you pay attention to the animals more closely, it's a fox jumping over a dog. The inscription on the stone reads, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" in the game's alphabet.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

There actually is
it has a quick brown fox jumping over a lazy dog nearby

EDIT: And while I had typed out everything below, Tellaerin explained it better. Perhaps it does need some explaining for those who didn't learn that phrase in school.

I loved Fez and everything about it. The atmosphere, the music, the style, the jump/rotate puzzles as well as the crazy metagame fiction and alternate language stuff. I may just be a glutton for punishment but it was a ton of fun for me to figure out the numbers, letters and Tetromino standards. It made me feel like I was someone truly foreign to the land trying to make their way around and understand the locals only with none of the frustration of needing to find a hotel before the sun goes down. I also enjoyed the New Game+ stuff, with Gomez getting more tools that let him see more than there was before. I think people get a little too hung up on "needing to beat the game" sometimes.

If there is one criticism I completely agree with, it is the map page. Holy shit that was the worst thing.

There is, literally. I thought the way it was done was actually kind of clever.

There's an area in the forest with a monolith and a couple of animals playing. If you pay attention to the animals more closely, it's a fox jumping over a dog. The inscription on the stone reads, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" in the game's alphabet.

That is awesome.

Elixist

thumbs up for marvel lego from me especially if you got a friend or fam to play with. its the same old but if u have a good comp it looks really fuckin nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom