• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not bought a single Steam game in a week (Bundles Included)...
tumblr_mqtnrbolhk1r0579no1_500.gif

There is, literally. I thought the way it was done was actually kind of clever.

There's an area in the forest with a monolith and a couple of animals playing. If you pay attention to the animals more closely, it's a fox jumping over a dog. The inscription on the stone reads, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" in the game's alphabet.

I had run across the tetranomino rosetta stone on my own but never realized that
it was reacting to the buttons I pushed showing me the cypher

Looking at that wiki page, I feel like I could've done it on my own had I realized a few things, but at the same point, I just found it so daunting because there wasn't an initial spark of a solution in my brain as I looked at it all.

To celebrate my 1400th game on Steam I'm giving away the following

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The 11th Hour -- MB-16CF0E3DEEBE7246
Desperados 2: Cooper's Revenge -- MB-EC2FA3909B967106
The 7th Guest -- MB-D6B29C99A1531C75

t1397604636z1.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
There is, literally. I thought the way it was done was actually kind of clever.

There's an area in the forest with a monolith and a couple of animals playing. If you pay attention to the animals more closely, it's a fox jumping over a dog. The inscription on the stone reads, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" in the game's alphabet.
There actually is
it has a quick brown fox jumping over a lazy dog nearby

EDIT: And while I had typed out everything below, Tellaerin explained it better. Perhaps it does need some explaining for those who didn't learn that phrase in school.
Oh. OHHHHHHHHH. This is smart.

I feel like such a stupid piece of oxygen waste, I wish I had been able to solve this on my own. Oh well, guess not every person gets to be born with a functioning brain :p

Save your money. The end of April and all of May are looking packed.

Care to list?
I know Dark Souls is on your list.
And Transitor too... but what else is coming?

Child of LIght... and then I'm blanking.

--

JaseC -- let me know if you hear anything back from Sega regarding Stormrise, please.

okayfrog

Banned
Hahaha.
Off the top of my head?
It was the first time they decided to make the "over the top/absurd" thing their signature and the humour didn't resonate with me.
The addition of the "activities", most of which had HORRIBLE controls, goals, or both was not enjoyable to me.
It always drove me nuts that the voice selection for a male character was basically "Esse", "50 Cent", or "Brit". That just bugged me as I made a white character and the only logical voice to choose was the Brit, but it really didn't fit with anything else.
But by far, the biggest problem of SR2 for me was that they kept the RESPECT system as a method of locking story content and forcing you to try the annoying and mostly unenjoyable (at least at the higher "levels"). Would I be as anti-SR2 as I am if I could've ignored the side missions entirely? No sir.

So when SR3 showed up, I shunned it, because it was even more over the top (although, I admit I actually found some things funny in SR3 where I thought I would just be unamused as I was in SR2... I guess the ridiculous nature of some of the stuff (Professor Genki) actually resonated in a way) and I didn't know they had changed the Respect system to be experience points for unlocking bonus abilities. I had a ridiculous amount of fun with SR3 and I really thought very little of the series after the first two games. I have yet to play 4 because I spent so much time on 3 I needed a break from the Sandbox genre and SR in general.

Ahh, those are boring reasons to dislike the game. Oh well.

As for Fez: I had a feeling there was an alphabet in-game. Not sure I'm glad I had it confirmed for me, but now I at least know that one can figure out the alphabet just by looking at clues in-game. Not sure if I'll ever find those clues, but at least I know they're there.

Pachimari

Guess I'm gonna go complete Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It seems very nice so far but I'm only around 15 minutes into it and my brain really have to get around the idea of controlling the two characters with two analog sticks.

ACIV worth $20?

By all accounts yes.

I wonder how long it will take Square to drop Thief to $5. That's the highest I'd pay for it, and even then it would kinda feel like a waste.

Hahaha, I love our devalued purchasing model. :)
At the same time, gamers are just more informed these days -- so the likelihood of dropping 40$ or more on a new release is unlikely... however, because of digital distribution,. publishers get more sales at these $5 prices from people who would've never bought the game otherwise.

Like you, I would buy Thief 4 for $5. And then I'd probably feel like it was a waste. :lol

Guess I'm gonna go complete Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It seems very nice so far but I'm only around 15 minutes into it and my brain really have to get around the idea of controlling the two characters with two analog sticks.

Game is about 3 hours long. I recommend finishing it in one sitting, if possible. Otherwise, your going to have to readjust to the game's controls every time.

Grief.exe

Care to list?

I'm probably missing some Indie releases

Dark Souls II
Child of Light
Daylight
Wolfenstein
Killer is Dead (Don't know much about this one)
Transistor
The Forest
Wildstar (June 3rd)

Dark Souls II, The Forest, and Transistor for me. Three day one releases counts as a large amount in my book.

Took me about that long for the controls to click. Amazing game.

Purchased Batman: Arkahm Origins, Injustice, Lego: Marvel Super Hero, and Assassins Creed 4:Black Flag all for about $20 less than a new console game.

So good.

Knurek

Purchased Batman: Arkahm Origins, Injustice, Lego: Marvel Super Hero, and Assassins Creed 4:Black Flag all for about $20 less than a new console game.

So good.

Best part is that when you buy a new PC, you will still be able to play all of these (depending on upgrade type, maybe even in 1440p/60 fps).

MayMay

Banned
So, are people buying the last BL2 DLC today or is that game community dead?

I'm not getting it.. And BL2 is one of my favourite games. Just lost interest after all those small DLCs they've released recently. But I guess there'll be enough people that will buy it - and support Gearbox in their horrible DLC policy.

I'm not getting it.. And BL2 is one of my favourite games. Just lost interest after all those small DLCs they've released recently. But I guess there'll be enough people that will buy it - and support Gearbox in their horrible DLC policy.

What's horrible about their DLC policy? The DLC's you get with the season pass with Borderlands 2 is arguably one of the few good examples of how a season pass should be done. I can't think of a single other game where the season pass was worth purchasing full-price. I love the Arkhem games but only buy their season passes 75% off.

By all accounts yes.

Hahaha, I love our devalued purchasing model. :)
At the same time, gamers are just more informed these days -- so the likelihood of dropping 40$ or more on a new release is unlikely... however, because of digital distribution,. publishers get more sales at these $5 prices from people who would've never bought the game otherwise.

Like you, I would buy Thief 4 for $5. And then I'd probably feel like it was a waste. :lol

Oh I definitely have no problem paying $40+ for new games. It's Square Enix doing it to themselves with their ridonkulous price drops just a few months after release. I'm not complaining though

I thought the $2.50 a pop DLCs were fun and not overpriced. But they just spaced them out way too far.

HoosTrax

Wolfenstein: The New Order is now pre-orderable on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/201810/. Includes the Doom Beta and some TF2 items.

Well,
W5m3X7V.png

Everywhere except here (Germany). Surprise Surprise.
Interesting. Most games these days use something like an Iron Cross symbol instead of an actual Swastika, to avoid possible issues. I'm actually curious now where Germany draws the line. Like where they stand as far as Company of Heroes, Sniper Elite V2, etc.

Btw, I thought the occult stuff in the Wolfenstein series was ridiculous hogwash, until I started watching some of the documentaries on Netflix recently. Those Nazis really had some pretty bizarre and occult ideas about various things. Some of the experiments they conducted on prisoners were stomach turning.

MayMay

Banned
What's horrible about their DLC policy? The DLC's you get with the season pass with Borderlands 2 is arguably one of the few good examples of how a season pass should be done. I can't think of a single other game where the season pass was worth purchasing full-price. I love the Arkhem games but only buy their season passes 75% off.

Yeah, the Season Pass DLCs are really good - I agree. Loved them. But I was talking about the endless amount of small DLCs that were released afterwards. Not only the Headhunter packs, but also all those customization DLCs/microtransactions etc. But that's just me.

Edit: One could think the Pre-Sequel only exists so that they can sell more DLC :p (jk)

Grief.exe

Btw, I thought the occult stuff in the Wolfenstein series was ridiculous hogwash, until I started watching some of the documentaries on Netflix recently. Those Nazis really had some pretty bizarre and occult ideas about various things. Some of the experiments they conducted on prisoners were stomach turning.

Which documentary would you recommend?

I guess ModBot is a little backed up. I tried to create a giveaway raffle 10 minutes ago and still haven't received any response. And no I didn't send it to ModBod.

Edit: Nevermind, it's because I can't type/spell.

Dr Dogg

Killer is Dead (Don't know much about this one)

Saying a GHM game is an acquired taste is putting it likely but I'll more than likely pick it up day 1 after giving up on the PS3 version due to horrendous tearing and nose diving frame rate. Bonkers as any Suda game (not that he does much in 'his' games these days as this was directed by Hideyuki Shin with just the writing and some design being Suda's contribution) and I feel worthy of the support as I'm surprised they'll get another retail gig after a string of flops.

Edit: Then again Lily Bergamo is in the works for PS4 so be interesting to see if that's a download or retail release.

MayMay

Banned
Interesting. Most games these days use something like an Iron Cross symbol instead of an actual Swastika, to avoid possible issues. I'm actually curious now where Germany draws the line. Like where they stand as far as Company of Heroes, Sniper Elite V2, etc.

It's really weird. Only a few days ago they announced that the game will be released uncut here (in terms of violence, the Swastikas have to be removed of course) - so I was rather surprised to see that we cannot pre-order it yet.

And the line.. I'm no expert, because I usually just don't care and import my games but afaik only Swastikas are a problem. CoH, Sniper Elite V2 and the like are released here (with removed Swastikas).

okayfrog

Banned

I think the problem is that you don't get all the DLC with the Season Pass. I mean, it's not ever stated that you would get all the DLC, but it still leaves a sour taste in one's mouth.

Extra extra

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The 7th Guest -- MB-EC19573772A6F548 - Taken by Pakkidis. 1 entrants total.

t1397597209z1.png

HoosTrax

Which documentary would you recommend?
A couple off the top of my head:

"Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State" (miniseries) - this one goes into some of the terrible things they did to the prisoners and the experiments, and their misguided theories on eugenics

"Nazi Temple of Doom" - this goes more into Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny territory, and the Nazi belief in the powers of legendary artifacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom