• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

And the line.. I'm no expert, because I usually just don't care and import my games but afaik only Swastikas are a problem. CoH, Sniper Elite V2 and the like are released here (with removed Swastikas).

Sniper Elite V2 is 100% uncut here (including the Kill Hitler DLC) and in CoH they removed a text reference to the SS but only when playing in German so it wasn't a legal decision.

The now available issue of PC Games has a long article about this subject, maybe read it if you get the chance. Let's say it's complicated and if someone would actually go to court there's a chance things could change but no one is going to take that risk yet.

Salsa

the buy/sell thread is so random

everything from people selling Humble Bundle keys for $15 to others selling Steam gifts for $1 and $2.. why bother

MayMay

Banned
The now available issue of PC Games has a long article about this subject, maybe read it if you get the chance. Let's say it's complicated and if someone would actually go to court there's a chance things could change but no one is going to take that risk yet.

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up! Gonna try to get my hands on the issue this week to read the article.

Parsnip

The key to Fez, for me anyway, was to just keep moving and exploring. That's really true to all puzzle games, if it seems like the puzzle isn't opening up to you, just move on and come back to that room later. Worked great.

It also helped that at the time I didn't really really know how deep it goes. I knew it was a "puzzle platformer", but all I really expected was that it would be all tied to the rotation mechanic and environmental puzzles that could be done with it.
Tetris totems, alphabet, etc, all look like world building and window dressing, if you don't already know that they are something to be solved.
And then when you find the the
tetris totem lexicon
room, the holy shit moment when you realize what it means for the game.

There was one element that I did kind of dislike, and that was the
alphabet,
and how you were supposed to solve it.
As a Finnish dude, the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog kind of means nothing to me outside of the Windows font preview text. So while I know the phrase, it took me a long time to see it and understand what it meant.

It's funny, having just finished Batman AC a second time, there's a lot of things you can't solve or places you can't go to until later in the game. In fact, some of the riddles can't be solved until after you beat the game. If you see a Riddler trophy that you can't seemingly reach, what do you do? I imagine most people will keep moving.
Maybe it's the objective. Batman always has one very clear main objective to move towards to, and even though Fez has an objective as well, it's more vague and open ended. It opens up and expects you to explore and get some cubes, but doesn't care where you and which cubes you get.

Anyway, I really like both Fez and Batman. Video games, love em.

Guess I'm gonna go complete Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It seems very nice so far but I'm only around 15 minutes into it and my brain really have to get around the idea of controlling the two characters with two analog sticks.

Keep big bro on the left side of the screen and little bro on the right side.

HoosTrax

You might understand why people here get a little edgy each time someone from Western press mentions 'Polish death camps' (and it still does happen from time to time).
Waa? I don't think I've personal heard it referred to that (in the US media). What's the implication/accusation there? That the Polish people were complicit in it? The percentage of the Polish population, both Jewish and non-Jewish, that got wiped out by the Nazis is mind-boggling.

edit: oh ffs, Obama...I guess I don't watch the news much, so I hadn't seen that flub

Nzyme32

Doom beta. Doom beta. Doom beta. What is the Doom beta, at least show the damned game off.

Pretty certain it will be a multiplayer beta. If that's the case, then it probably means the new Doom will be a much more action oriented affair rather than attempting creepy atmosphere and scares. Although I expect.. or rather want.. super crazy hellish environments and creepiness, enough to make me a bit worried of playing alone in the dark at full blast, but still frantic and providing a feeling of fun and satisfaction that you get from brutal doom............. I have totally not set the bar too high..

Tellaerin

There was one element that I did kind of dislike, and that was the
alphabet,
and how you were supposed to solve it.
As a Finnish dude, the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog kind of means nothing to me outside of the Windows font preview text. So while I know the phrase, it took me a long time to see it and understand what it meant.

Out of curiosity, is there a similar phrase in Finnish?
One that uses every letter of the alphabet, I mean.

BiggNife

The thing that makes me excited for Wolfenstein is hearing that MachineGames consists mainly of ex-staff from Starbreeze, which I assume happened when the company went through a huge restructuring during the development of Syndicate.

If this is another FPS campaign on the level of Butcher Bay and The Darkness then I am on board 100%.

derExperte

http://steamdb.info/sub/35181/#section_info

Don't know if the price is wrong, but Amazing Spiderman 2 comes out to only about $14 on the RU store and doesn't have any region/trading restrictions.

Store page:
This version does not contain Russian. This version only supports English, French, Italian, German and Spanish.

So there could be a separate Russian version on its way, better buy it quick if interested.

I keep forgetting that there was a Wolfenstein 2009. Was it that forgettable?

So forgettable that Steam forgot it exists.

:(

Srsly, was a solid shooter with an unneeded mini-open world.

Yeah, the Season Pass DLCs are really good - I agree. Loved them. But I was talking about the endless amount of small DLCs that were released afterwards. Not only the Headhunter packs, but also all those customization DLCs/microtransactions etc. But that's just me.

Edit: One could think the Pre-Sequel only exists so that they can sell more DLC :p (jk)

They're cosmetics. The substantive content is largely covered by the season pass and two new classes. I don't know about those headhunter packs, but it's only 15$ for the lot. I sunk about 300 hours into Borderlands 2 playing through the initial campaign and TVHM mode with numerous toons, one of which was the Mechromancer I got for free. I stopped when Torques was released so I really only played Captain Scarlet. I'm not going to say I didn't get my money's worth.

I don't know, I get where you're coming from but Borderlands 2, like Civ V, is one of the few games where I don't have an issue with all of the DLC because of the value I feel I got out of the game.

I think the problem is that you don't get all the DLC with the Season Pass. I mean, it's not ever stated that you would get all the DLC, but it still leaves a sour taste in one's mouth.

They weren't vague about the contents of the season pass the way other studios have been. You got the 4 main expansion DLC's. I can't remember if the Mechromancer was a bonus for pre-ordering the season pass or game itself. They were pretty upfront about the content included.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I have not bought a single Steam game in a week (Bundles Included)...
tumblr_mqtnrbolhk1r0579no1_500.gif

I thought I noticed a lack of anime gifs recently. The thread could use some more.

Levyne

Banned
Just gotta get them big jrpgs on steam and then all them anime avatared japan loving weeaboos will help fill the thread with them

Arthea

HB is plenty disappointing lately, I must say

edited: and I'm getting a lot of -118 at the steam store today. Anybody else having steam store problems?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Just gotta get them big jrpgs on steam and then all them anime avatared japan loving weeaboos will help fill the thread with them

It's sort of happening, kind of?

I just spat my coffee out at this gif, thank you for the much needed laugh

giphy.gif

edited: and I'm getting a lot of -118 at the steam store today. Anybody else having steam store problems?

It's varying for me. One second the store will be up, the next it won't connect.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Strange because I should be #61. I wonder if they mistakenly took me off the list, thinking I was already a Valve employee.

Parsnip

Out of curiosity, is there a similar phrase in Finnish?
One that uses every letter of the alphabet, I mean.

Yup.
Törkylempijävongahdus is a perfect Finnish pangram, using each letter only once.
It doesn't contain foreign letters like Q, Z etc, but there are some common pangrams that contain those too, like "Charles Darwin jammaili Åken hevixylofonilla Qatarin yöpub Zeligissä".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom