• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I watched the video on the sale page before, but I still wasn't clear on whether it was supposed to play like more of a 2D racer or a cave flyer or what, exactly. (The videos kind of reminded me of Bangai-O crossed with this old NES game whose name I can't remember now - I want to say it was developed in the UK - where you were maneuvering a little spaceship around to grapple cargo pods (?) )

There's not a lot of combat or bullet hell type stuff -- it's mainly about being fast, finding all the survivors and doing it all while warping around the map. There are some maps that I had to use the touchscreen warping for on Vita... so I'm not sure how they'll be possible on PC, but it's a good game with a good port.

that LEGO Marvel for 4.99 is just tempting
already have it on WiiU though

>< need to stop the JaseC bug from taking over

Phooey, trade (or burn) your WiiU copy (along with your WiiU).
Your PC demands sacrifice.

The Lego games starting from around Batman 2ish are all good. Though your affection will probably rely mostly on the property being used since they are all fairly similar games.

Harry Potter games are fantastic.
I 100% both of them on PS3, not sure how the PC ports hold up, but they're where the series really clicked for me. It probably had something to do with liking the source material more than the other games as well as the split screen co-op.

Zafir

Jeez, even Euro price is cheaper than the UK for Spiderman? What's the world coming to...

As for that article. How in the world are both Farming Simulator 2011 and 2013 in the top games by mean numbers of hours played? Are they really that deep?

Levyne

Banned
I have yet to earn a playfire cent, but Papers Please might be able to push me to get some. I already have some of the achievements though.

The featured reward game for next week is either Portal 2 or Papers Please.

Either way, we win.

I lose if it's Portal 2 -- I platinum'ed the game on PS3, so I already have any reward they could hand out for it.

Man every time I go to list something on the market now, I get an error about cookies not being enabled.

Log out and log in again.
Or you can try opening a chat window to someone.

Aaron D.

As for that article. How in the world are both Farming Simulator 2011 and 2013 in the top games by mean numbers of hours played? Are they really that deep?

Indeed, they are.

I've got over 125 hours in FS13 and I'm still finding the game fresh and appealing.

The mod communinity is out of control for this game, offering up hundreds upon hundreds custom maps, liscences vehicles and equipment, game tweaks and more. It makes Farming Simulator feel more like a platform than an individual game.

The online community is also friendly as hell, a bit of a rarity in the gaming community. The whole scene, whether online or solo, is just laid back and relaxing. There's this charm about it that feels unique and genuine in spite of its flaws, kind of like folk art.

Cth

Also just how obscene was the velocity ultra price error? I missed it

I got a copy for 89 cents, but karma paid me back by giving me 3 of the same card and 2 of the other. :D

Still, $10 game for 89 cents isn't half bad.. gonna actually play the game in a bit :)

Tellaerin

Thanks for a bunch of numbers Ars, that people will now spout as fact.

I think I'm more bothered by the final paragraph, where he points to the numbers as a justification for publishers chasing "those rare big hits", and broadly dismisses the rest as "also-rans", regardless of the intended scale of the game. (A niche indie title coded by one guy in his bedroom doesn't need to move anything like COD numbers to be considered a massive success for the guy who wrote it.)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Finished up playing I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. So good.
<3 jshackles

Nice little distraction from playing Anodyne. I needed a break from that game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
fX3RCVw.gif
I don't believe this .gif. The 3DS browser is so bad there's no way it'll load the whole Steam front page without crashing and burning.

Nope, once
L
dies it turns to shit.
I thought the same the first time I watched it, though it picked up again in the very last episodes. But the second time I watched it (6 months ago) I enjoyed the whole show, even the ones right after the event you mentioned. Once you know what's coming you can avoid being disappointed, so it's actually better on your rewatch.

I should clarify. I don't have Portal 2...on PC. Played through it on PS3, definitely need to get it on Steam when it's on sale again

Same here, sometimes I feel I'm the only one without it on Steam! Hopefully if it wins the vote it will be on sale st GMG to coincide with the playfire rewards.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking of grabbing Lego Marvel with cards money. Which is stupid, because I already own both Harry Potters and Batman 2 and haven't started any of them. I also have Star Wars Complete on Wii (I played a bunch of stages with a friend once) and tried the beginning of Indy Jones on my cousin's PS2.

I'm not even a fan of Marvel. Why do I feel like getting this game? Why can't I save the (free) money for something else?

Wait.

Whaaaaaaaaat?

Just login to Steam in the PS3 version of Portal 2, it will unlock the achievements on PC. If you play on PS3 while connected to Steam (on PS3), you can also drop cards.

Edit: maybe it only works if you also have the game on PC, I'm not sure... But, again, the PC version is included with the PS3 game.

If you bought it new on PS3, you can get the PC version for free. There is a coupon coming with the game disc.

Yes you do. You can even drop cards!

Yup. That's why I had 100% of the achievements and I've never played my Steam copy on my PC. I did have to go fix one that glitched... but for the most part, yes, it's 1:1.

Furyous

I just signed up.

Is there a way to only display games I can run? I'm on a rMBP 13 and need to know before I get hosed. I have my eyes on snow the game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just login to Steam in the PS3 version of Portal 2, it will unlock the achievements on PC. If you play on PS3 while connected to Steam (on PS3), you can also drop cards.

Edit: maybe it only works if you also have the game on PC, I'm not sure... But, again, the PC version is included with the PS3 game.
You also get cards if you idle with the PS3 version of the game. lol

topyy

ModBot said:
Instructions for topyy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

A TRAIN 8 -- MB-59AE13A46CB55B94 - Taken by Man Puncher

HoosTrax

I didn't even realize that Stanley Parable had been released. That got me to thinking about a wishlist of sorts for the next Humble Bundle.

So far:
- Stanley Parable
- Risk of Rain
- Steamworld Dig

That's weird, I got the Reach Lordran achievement in Dark Souls after returning to the Firelink Shrine from the Undead Asylum the second time. Shouldn't I have gotten it the first time?

Levyne

Banned
Anyways I beat Mirror of Fate HD. I completed the game on normal. Didn't go achievement or secret hunting. Here's a cool Artwork:

7FNdyTi.png

Seriously If MercurySteam goes under, I hope the artists land on their feet. The games (non-3ds ones anyway) are gorgeous. In my opinion at least.

Anyways I thought it was the worst of the 3 games, and I didn't love Lords of Shadow 2 (though I do tepidly recommend it, still). It's a bit unfortunate that for the narrative this game is so important to the others because it was a bit of a chore to play through. After the significant events tucked away in the first game's dlc, this game sets up the stage for the sequel (which pretty much fumbles it away, but whatever).

The game starts slow and is a quite a drag. Everything is so plain and drab and boring looking. Enemy variety is slim, and music is uninteresting.

XLVCNHil.jpg

Falling asleep at my chair here.

The game gets better in the second act. You end up in the interior of the castle more, which is a much more interesting and visually engaging environment. There's also a smattering of puzzles (some of which can actually get a bit clever) and most of the enemy encounters actually become interesting to fight. You end up having to use your movesets in a smart way in order to get past guarding enemies or figure out what they are vulnerable to.

I do greatly dislike, however, that when you level up, you learn additional abilities and extent your moveset, but you have to go into the menu to see what they are. Half of the time I couldn't be bothered. The series is known already for having hints be too prevalent, but it would have been nice for it to simply say "you've leveled up, try LT and X in the air". Or something..

qo44x7al.jpg

The third act is worse than the second. You end up with some really boring encounter with bosses that have too much health in general. Yet they have repetitive attack patterns, and as they change up their moves when you deplete their health, the game effectively pauses and tells you exactly how to avoid it. It's really lame. These enemies are recycled too, so it really just becomes a chore when you see the boss 3 or 4 more times before reaching the end. Heavy use of "degraded boss" trope I suppose.

The last act also has a lot of "A for awesome" including two "Boss Fights" that are literally just an extended QTE. Very lame.

In summary.

HQjhpSjl.jpg

:<

I hope this type of post is okay. If the images are obnoxious I can cut them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom