• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Missed the best bit.

Which I think sums up the argument nicely, which is that Chubigans is completely wrong and if steam was doing its job CSD would be a 5 million+ seller.

Not sure there is any point arguing with him.
I'm not entirely sure that article was worth reading too (><)

I can imagine that smaller indie devs (of niche genres mostly) can be suffering a little now, when so many games are released every day, but I think that good games with right approach sells everywhere, on steam probably even better, as there is collecting epidemic going around.

Man, makes me want to be a video game journalist.
nah, you don't want it, I like liking you and don't wanna that to change to opposite!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks, this site seems to be selling them for 2 Euros, but I remember they were giving them away at one point and not sure if they've still got any in stock. It's still up there though. I'm locked out of the community market for now so key trading will have to wait.

Tek ran out of keys some time ago but it seems the add to cart form has returned. I didn't think to check the site since I assumed no replacements would be provided as Sniper Challenge by itself isn't something that Squeenix offers broadly.

Dr Dogg

Are people going to take Kyle Orland's stats as fact now?

and lol at Gies.

Probably because fancy graphs and pictures are more appealing to some people than words. In fact in the first 2 and a half paragraphs contain the words or phrases, roughly, tend, an idea and estimates appear. Combine that with them saying they don't have nearly enough hardware to scrape through every users account, plus excluding private ones which they can't see, should tell anyone to take this as a guide and not gospel. If that didn't spell it out clear enough just before the data is reveal the article states "Using this method, we've generated a generalized estimate of Steam sales and gameplay numbers".

Knurek

I can imagine that smaller indie devs (of niche genres mostly) can be suffering a little now, when so many games are released every day, but I think that good games with right approach sells everywhere, on steam probably even better, as there is collecting epidemic going around.

I just hope future RPGMaker games released on Steam don't get bundled as fast as the ones currently available did.
Really, game devs, give your fans 50% release discount and then not bundle the game for another few months at least. You're scaring people of day one purchases with your current actions.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Tek ran out of keys some time ago but it seems the add to cart form has returned. I didn't think to check the site since I assumed no replacements would be provided as Sniper Challenge by itself isn't something that Squeenix offers broadly.

Ah, thanks. I'll avoid them then in case my €2 vanishes into the ether.

Knurek

If you subscribe to this thread and that other thread it's basically the same thing. :p

ClassyPenguin....
mgs3-snake-salute.jpg

Jawmuncher

I just hope future RPGMaker games released on Steam don't get bundled as fast as the ones currently available did.
Really, game devs, give your fans 50% release discount and then not bundle the game for another few months at least. You're scaring people of day one purchases with your current actions.

Definitely will have to agree to this.
They know their audience so they might as well aim for them even better before the bundle wars begin. Hell I was surprised that even Go Go Nippon hit a bundle so quick. Though thankfully it was priced at 50% off before that.

Knurek

Definitely will have to agree to this.
They know their audience so they might as well aim for them even better before the bundle wars begin. Hell I was surprised that even Go Go Nippon hit a bundle so quick. Though thankfully it was priced at 50% off before that.

Maybe Indie Gala is just being run by the Mafia?
I can't see other reason they'd coerce devs to have their games bundles as fast as they've been doing it lately...

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
With all those LEGO games on sale i'm pretty tempted to grab one of them, which is the best?
It's:
  1. Marvel Super Heroes
  2. Lord of The Rings
  3. Batman 2 DC Super Heroes
  4. Batman
  5. Harry Potter 1-4
  6. Harry Potter 5-7

Jawmuncher

Maybe Indie Gala is just being run by the Mafia?
I can't see other reason they'd coerce devs to have their games bundles as fast as they've been doing it lately...

Yeah it really is weird some of the stuff they manage to grab so quickly.
Honestly Mafia ties sounds about right.

With all those LEGO games on sale i'm pretty tempted to grab one of them, which is the best?
It's:
  1. Marvel Super Heroes
  2. Lord of The Rings
  4. Batman
  5. Harry Potter 1-4
  6. Harry Potter 5-7

Mate they are all basically identical. So just pick the franchise you like the most.

_hekk05

Banned
Yeah it really is weird some of the stuff they manage to grab so quickly.
Honestly Mafia ties sounds about right.

I think part of the reason indie devs are so willing to sign up for bundles is that
1. it guarantees higher sales
2. they need to reach a critical mass, or at least get the ball rolling, with word of mouth
3. its free advertisment. take the loss of revenue as advertising fees.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's:
  1. Marvel Super Heroes
  2. Lord of The Rings
  4. Batman
  5. Harry Potter 1-4
  6. Harry Potter 5-7

Marvel is more recent and has a hell of a lot more stuff, but yeah, you should pick which one you enjoy the most. I've played them all and really liked Marvel, but I don't have any issue with the gameplay of Lego games and I really love the Marvel Universe. Batman 1 is the worst of them though.

Twinduct

Wonder if there is some diminishing returns with all the random bundles running today. Personally I've started buying less of them this year, granted it could be said that the quality of the packages have been going down in some form or another.

Jawmuncher

I think part of the reason indie devs are so willing to sign up for bundles is that
1. it guarantees higher sales
2. they need to reach a critical mass, or at least get the ball rolling, with word of mouth
3. its free advertisment. take the loss of revenue as advertising fees.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Might as well take a hit if it could possibly generate more fans which could be more future sales.

Dr Dogg

Wonder if there is some diminishing returns with all the random bundles running today. Personally I've started buying less of them this year, granted it could be said that the quality of the packages have been going down in some form or another.

I've been trying to set myself some rules not to buy a bundle unless there's something I really, really want in there due to most of the time I own 66% or more of what's in the more popular ones. Others are a bit abstract at best. Still ModBot loves my spare keys.

Crub

When people on SteamTrades name a PayPal price, are they expecting you to pay the fee or is that included in the price?

Arthea

Who needs journalists when you can just subscribe to Jasec for news

cosigned!

If you read comments on greenlight, many people really hate RPG maker games. Not saying that there is nothing to hate about them too!
Thus, I imagine that after going through those comments for months and then selling 200-300 copies on the day of release and nothing after makes it really easy to hit that panic button.
I too think if they could wait couple of months for big steam sale and do -75% sale it would probably make them more good, including bigger number of early adopters, but then again it's probably hard to wait while your game doesn't sell.

Also Skyborn is still the best RPG maker game on steam that I've played, just reminding. ;)

Twinduct

I've been trying to set myself some rules not to buy a bundle unless there's something I really, really want in there due to most of the time I own 66% or more of what's in the more popular ones. Others are a bit abstract at best. Still ModBot loves my spare keys.

Yeah I guess I'm the same there. Hell I think I've just been buying more of them on Day 1 (the ones I'm interested in). I do hit a point now that I need more than one title to pull me in. If it's only one title (and it's usually above the above average price) then I might aswell go the extra few bucks and get it directly from the dev or steam.

Meh I don't know, maybe I'm trying to stunt my library growth as I have a huge issue with being overwhelmed with the games I already own and not play.

derExperte

Probably because fancy graphs and pictures are more appealing to some people than words. In fact in the first 2 and a half paragraphs contain the words or phrases, roughly, tend, an idea and estimates appear. Combine that with them saying they don't have nearly enough hardware to scrape through every users account, plus excluding private ones which they can't see, should tell anyone to take this as a guide and not gospel. If that didn't spell it out clear enough just before the data is reveal the article states "Using this method, we've generated a generalized estimate of Steam sales and gameplay numbers".

Not to mention that they're basing all this on playtime which is only being tracked since a few years ago. I played through HL2 a few times, Portal once but my account says 0hrs.

Jawmuncher

Not to mention that they're basing all this on playtime which is only being tracked since a few years ago. I played through HL2 three times, Portal once but my account says 0hrs.

While a small percentage I would still say that offline play might factor in as well.
Since Steam for some reason just isn't up to that task.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

There is another site that was selling sniper challenge codes. I don't have it at the moment (on mobile) but I can dig it up once I have access to my desktop/laptop computer if anyone is really interested.

Arthea

While a small percentage I would still say that offline play might factor in as well.
Since Steam for some reason just isn't up to that task.

It's not that small percentage, I think, last year, when I had problems with running steam online, I've played a lot offline, one of my friends almost always plays offline if there is such an option. It's anecdotal evidence, but I think much more people play offline than anyone imagines, some play only offline. If we would remember shocking Xbox360 statistics posted somewhere some years ago, half of owners never went online, actually. Imagine that!

edited: what I wanted to say, tracking playing times of online games is easy, of those that can be played offline is not possible, anyone who says otherwise is slightly delusional. (><)

Echoplx

I'm assuming there's no way to get Wolfenstein for a good price at this point in time?

Will wait and see what GMG/Nuuvem do i guess.

BadRamen

Shamelessly quoting myself from the Playfire Rewards Thread:

Hello Telltale Wednesday (they did Wolf Among Us last Wednesday interestingly)

"New Rewards

Available until Tuesday 22 April, 2014 @ 23:59 UTC:

Back to the Future - play for the first time - £0.10
Battle Academy - play for the first time - £0.10
Jurassic Park: The Game - play for the first time - £0.10
Jurassic Park: The Game - unlock The First Dinosaurs On Our Tour - £0.10
Jurassic Park: The Game - unlock Stopping the Stalkers - £0.25
Jurassic Park: The Game - unlock Do-you-think-he-saurus Rex - £0.50
Poker Night 2 - play for the first time - £0.10
Poker Night 2 - unlock I Tournament to Do That - £0.10
Poker Night 2 - unlock Sam to the Max - £0.25
Poker Night 2 - unlock We Are the 1% - £0.50
Poker Night at the Inventory - play for the first time - £0.10
Poker Night at the Inventory - unlock Flush - £0.10
Poker Night at the Inventory - unlock Down to the Green - £0.25
Poker Night at the Inventory - unlock Straight Flush - £0.50
Sam & Max: Season One - play for the first time - £0.10
Sam & Max: Season Two - play for the first time - £0.10
Tales of Monkey Island - play for the first time - £0.10
"

EDIT: Commentary: Getting Straight Flush is going to be some bullllllllshi!

Jawmuncher

Even righter if you consider they're based in Italy.

in Rome though, which isn't really the most mafia screwed city, but still

They're secretly moving all the mafia business to rome to keep from being noticed.

It's not that small percentage, I think, last year, when I had problems with running steam online, I've played a lot offline, one of my friends almost always plays offline if there is such an option. It's anecdotal evidence, but I think much more people play offline than anyone imagines, some play only offline. If we would remember shocking Xbox360 statistics posted somewhere some years ago, half of owners never went online, actually. Imagine that!

edited: what I wanted to say, tracking playing times of online games is easy, of those that can be played offline is not possible, anyone who says otherwise is slightly delusional. (><)

Yeah it makes sense. Which definitely leads to how annoying it can be that offline statistics shouldn't even matter in some circles.

zkylon

zkylewd
man i like spelunky but whenever one of the big spiders falls on your head from outside camera range my heart skips a beat.

they're frightening T_T

Phinor

EDIT: Commentary: Getting Straight Flush is going to be some bullllllllshi!

I actually have that one already, used to play quite a bit of Poker Night back when it was released. Missing couple of others though so I guess this is good time as any to play some more Poker Night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom