• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Apple products....

Maybe you should buy products that arent from apple.

people other than apple make tablets?

Less likely to get stolen. From what i experienced.

You pay less for the same. Look at all those people running towards a apple store to buy another Ipad/Iphone/Ishit. This is how marketing shows it. And it shows how most people are towards apple products (like "I NEED AN IPHONE!!!").

A stolen 500$ Iphone doesnt hurt as much as a stolen 200$ smartphone from somebody else.

Less often, certainly.
You can get a lot more crack money for a stolen iWhatever from chumps that gotta have that Apple badge of conformity.

oh lol

funny you would think people who prefer pc gaming would understand why people would want high build quailty & a unix based os. the fanboyism is strong in pc circles, though.

and i guess macs are more for people who use computers for coding / working vs just wanting to playing games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay, that looks (and sounds) amazing, but dammit, 'heart' is not a verb!
And no, "I <3 U" does not count.
You can go forth, or sally forth, but you do not "heart forth"! Every time I try to parse that particular phrase, my brain's language center spits out a string of error messages and crashes to desktop. I really hope the narrative provides more explanation for the peculiar title than "she ventured forth... with heart", because I shouldn't have to suffer like this for nothing. :p

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/11/do-you-heart-new-york.html

The use of "heart" as a verb dates to 897 AD, and includes Tennyson and Shakespeare among its users.

people other than apple make tablets?

You know who showed the first tablet? Bill Gates. And nobody cared. Apple shows Ipad and everyone looses their minds.

And yes there are many other tablets that arent from apple.

oh ol

funny you would think people who prefer pc gaming would understand why people would want high build quailty & a unix based os. the fanboyism is strong in pc circles, though.

and i guess macs are more for people who use computers for coding / working vs just wanting to playing games.

Well im studying games engineering and i get into courses with people who are studying business informatics.
And seriously... all of them have a mac laptop. Like they dont even know what the fuck linux is.

jon bones

You know who showed the first tablet? Bill Gates. And nobody cared. Apple shows Ipad and everyone looses their minds.

And yes there are many other tablets that arent from apple.

yeah billy g was ahead of the curve, but failed to time the market right the release a solid device at the time.

wouldn't it make sense to judge computing products by their performance and support rather than condemning apple users as "conformists"?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man, my ratio of Steam bundles to aspirational bundles filled with useless Desura keys has been pretty bad lately. My "list of bundle games that don't yet have steam keys" list is probably at almost 200 games or so now :p

I keep buying these "greenlight" / Desura bundles, while thinking to myself "Pretty soon Valve plans on getting rid of Greenlight, and when that happens I'll have all of these games on Steam".

I suspect that once this change happens in the Greenlight process, the days of seeing a $2 bundle with 6 games will be over, since these developers are obviously taking a loss on the price of these games in exchange for the extra exposure.

Who knows.

HoosTrax

yeah billy g was ahead of the curve, but failed to time the market right the release a solid device at the time.

wouldn't it make sense to judge computing products by their performance and support rather than condemning apple users as "conformists"?
Personally never had a use for "support", short of the rare RMA. I care more for value, i.e. price/performance.

Jawmuncher

I keep buying these "greenlight" / Desura bundles, while thinking to myself "Pretty soon Valve plans on getting rid of Greenlight, and when that happens I'll have all of these games on Steam".

I suspect that once this change happens in the Greenlight process, the days of seeing a $2 bundle with 6 games will be over, since these developers are obviously taking a loss on the price of these games in exchange for the extra exposure.

Who knows.

It'll be interesting to see exactly how Valves plans for a open store front will affect a lot of things. Still I could see bundles still being common though, since we still see Android bundles fairly often.

Tellaerin

But
I Heart You You knew that was coming.

And I heart that new avatar of yours. Capcom needs to release a real Dino Crisis 3 one of these days. None of this "dinos in space" nonsense.

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/11/do-you-heart-new-york.html

The use of "heart" as a verb dates to 897 AD, and includes Tennyson and Shakespeare among its users.

Interesting! That usage (to "give heart" to someone) still doesn't square with the way it seems to be used in the title, though - it seems to have been meant more as a substitute for "to go" than "to give". ("Give forth heart, Alicia"?) It just feels wrong to me, Stump. -_-;

jon bones

Personally never had a use for "support", short of the rare RMA. I care more for value, i.e. price/performance.

ah i should have clarified i meant dev support in terms of apps for tablets. i'm always seeing android users lamenting ios exclusive releases.

Turfster

No. There is absolutely no reason to pay the Apple premium for a pc for "work".
My hackintosh has the same specs as a mac mini. Hell, it has twice the mem and an actual graphics card, and cost me a *third* of the 900€ apple wants for theirs. Sure, it's not a cute little white box I put on my desk, but who the fuck cares what it looks like. It's a computer case.

I also have an iPad (for dev work), which isn't bad, but my cousin's Samsung tablet can basically do exactly the same stuff and cost 200€ less.

I track auctions and estate sales, and Apple stuff always gets bid on crazily, even older G4s that are basically 10 years old and worthless get insane bids that could get you a recent i5 system at least.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

0RBITALIS is a gravity simulator with a retro-puzzle flavor: explore stars, dodge asteroids and destroy planets.

Launch your satellite into orbit and face the force which keeps the Universe together: Gravity. Study it. Trick it. Defeat it. All with a single click.

25% off ($2.99) for the next week. Also, 1C is prepping a few more things, including UFO: Aftershock.

I nearly didnt see any quality difference between Galaxy and Iphone. And looking at the price and power they deliver somebody must a. know nothing about specs or b. be ignorant as fuck and just buy it for the name.

If you look at Xbox and PS and Nintendo you see some fanboys. Its the same with Apple. Im not a fanboy when it comes to OS. I HAVE TO use them all unfortunately. Linux is by far my favourite when it comes to coding and working. Windows for gaming. And Mac yeah well... for nothing.

Who knows.

I think greenlight is going away late this year, but we always need to consider the "Valve time", anyway I'm also curious to see the repercursion of Valve opening the store.

jon bones

My hackintosh has the same specs as a mac mini. Hell, it has twice the mem and an actual graphics card, and cost me a *third* of the 900€ apple wants for theirs. Sure, it's not a cute little white box I put on my desk, but who the fuck cares what it looks like. It's a computer case.

I also have an iPad, which isn't bad, but my cousin's samsung tablet can basically do exactly the same stuff and cost 200€ less.

i can't speak to a desktop, but coding on my mbp is way nicer (in terms of build quality than my older linux/w7 machines.

re: the samsung, can you play xcom on it?

i also find it hilarious that you own a mac & ipad after the whole "conformist" comment

I nearly didnt see any quality difference between Galaxy and Iphone. And looking at the price and power they deliver somebody must a. know nothing about specs or b. be ignorant as fuck and just buy it for the name.

If you look at Xbox and PS and Nintendo you see some fanboys. Its the same with Apple. Im not a fanboy when it comes to OS. I HAVE TO use them all unfortunately. Linux is by far my favourite when it comes to coding and working. Windows for gaming. And Mac yeah well... for nothing.

i've seen fanboys in everything - pc gamer fanboys are as crazy as the others.

i chose my iphone over anroid phones because its the only premium smartphone that is reasonably sized. give me an htc one ultra x thats the size of a 5s and i'm all about it.

looking down at someone as ignorant because of their phone choice is fedora as hell b

Jawmuncher

Daily System Shock 2 50% off

Wow someone was pretty lazy with that daily deal. I recall getting it cheaper than that in the past on steam.

And I heart that new avatar of yours. Capcom needs to release a real Dino Crisis 3 one of these days. None of this "dinos in space" nonsense.

Thanks. All my hopes lie at E3 to see if the rumor turns out true.

Would you look at that. Another person's spirit to break. Muahahahaha

_hekk05
Destroyer of Hope
(Today, 05:03 PM)

Turfster

i also find it hilarious that you own a mac & ipad after the whole "conformist" comment

I don't own a mac. I own a system I built myself that I also run OSX on. And I have to own an iPad because I develop software for it.
This is also the only reason I run OSX on the other system, because Apple are fucking protectionist assholes that force you to use their shit if you want to develop and test something on their portable hardware.

Anyway, we're straying far off the subject of the thread here, and I really have better things to do than to get into another of these stupid wars =p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Err, no, that's very relevant. SFF PCs come with a price premium because of their SFF. There might still be an Apple price premium, but you don't deduce it by saying "my custom built rig is more powerful than a Mac Mini so the Mac Mini is overpriced".

Your complaint here isn't that Apple is overcharging for the Mini, it's that they don't have a standard desktop offering at all. They've got a workstation offering in the Mac Pro, they've got an integrated display option in the iMac, and they've got an SFF option in the Mac Mini. They don't have a standard desktop offering. This is because the desktop business is barely a business at all anymore. There's no margin and there's no volume. Same reason every other desktop OEM is fleeing like crazy, and why you hear all your favourite OEM desktop manufacturers announcing tablets and mobile devices rather than desktops. Laptops surpassed desktops in the early 00s, and the adoption of PCMCIA wireless cards and then integrated wireless only accelerated that shift.

It's cool. I'm primarily a Mac user, I like their offerings a lot, but I also have a Windows desktop PC because Apple doesn't participate in the market segment.

derExperte

A bit of Unix under the hood doesn't help when Apple's habit of suddenly cutting off support for older OSX versions kicks in after only a few years or they take months/years to fix known security holes. One of the reasons why most companies prefer Windows isn't so much price but predictability and known roadmaps. Getting very well built devices also isn't much of a problem anymore.

And the craziest fanboys I've ever known were indeed Apple users.

Not bad at all.

True. But Gun Monkeys, as fun as it is, is really dead.

jon bones

A bit of Unix under the hood doesn't help when Apple's habit of suddenly cutting off support for older OSX versions kicks in after only a few years or they take months/years to fix known security holes. One of the reasons why most companies prefer Windows isn't so much price but predictability and known roadmaps. Getting very well built devices also isn't much of a problem anymore.

And the craziest fanboys I've ever known were indeed Apple users.

all valid points, and i agree with you.

except that last bit, euro football fanboys are the craziest. they'll straight up cut you.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

GUN MONKEYS -- MB-A5D761A2A4DD05ED - Taken by masterkajo. 3 entrants total.
MASTER REBOOT -- MB-47B4EEE1C5DE8DA3 - Taken by NaM. 8 entrants total.

t1397669932z1.png

DocSeuss

The atmosphere in the trailer alone is fantastic. What do you think, guys? Get it or hold off?

System Shock 2 is the greatest video game ever made (influencing everything from Bioshock to Dead Space to Portal to...), so there's that (just remember to rebind the keys and know that the opening is stereotypically 90s PC and a bit too drawn out).

Some people are like "Meh, buy for $2.50 vs $5," but these people can be reliably disregarded because they're not saying "IT WAS WORTH IT AT $10" which it totally was. Yes. It's gone on sale at 75% off. And if I could afford even one copy, I'd buy it and give it away on modbot right now, just so other people could enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom