• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antichamber? I feel incredibly lost in that game, and will never be able to complete it unless I read one. Though a friend managed to beat it on his own, or at least that's what he told me.

Yeah that might well be a good one. I'm thinking it might be a bit short though? Because you may be able to figure things out (I didn't). Something like La-Mulana is 24 odd hours of wtf (even with a guide)

Knurek

I think it's the same scope as Lord of the Rings. I also think the games all probably average out in the 30 hour range for 100%. As for quality, I think it holds up well compared to their recent releases.

Still covers only two movies, right?
I really don't see WB doing the third one as DLC, more like a second, full priced game. :\

Levyne

Banned
My brother and I were actually discussing if they'd go the Lego Indy route. I wouldn't be surprised but I'm not caught up on the rumor either.

Salsa

those lego indy games kinda got the short end of the stick in terms of people talking about them

turns out I dont even own them, but I own the harry potter ones, mh

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I wish they had let a few more games go the route of the Harry Potter series, more puzzle and set-up than ever increasing open world. As much as I love Batman 2 and Marvel Super Heroes, t'would be nice to have something a bit more focused along that route instead once they get to another non-action heavy franchise.

I also wouldn't say no to a full fledge ground battle type game like what LEGO Clone Wars got. Large scale battle, RTS like elements, only part of the game I really enjoyed really after being burnt out on LEGO games at the time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jase will be happy.

My face lit up when I saw it in the registry.

Jase essentially cannot catch up fully while the people at the top of the list are still in the game--too many previously removed games are unavailable now. Same goes for anyone who would want to start collecting now. But he knows that. It's be a fools errand investing as much time and money into the racket and then falling prey to anxiety over things that can't be helped.

Yep. I don't expect to ever take the #1 spot or maybe even crack the Top 5 as long as others keep at it but I still like doing what I do.

Is there a reason why steamDB shows watch dogs has a Linux client icon section, when its windows only title? Can't find any other windows games like that

The app was updated 12 minutes ago so I assume Ubi just mistakenly flagged it as a Linux game.

My face lit up when I saw it in the registry.

Yep. I don't expect to ever take the #1 spot or maybe even crack the Top 5 as long as others keep at it but I still like doing what I do.

The app was updated 12 minutes ago so I assume Ubi just mistakenly flagged it as a Linux game.

Hey -- any word on your Sega request -- I just got the generic "go ask GameStop for a refund." Which I did, for the hell of it, and they pointed me to Steam support. I'm really hoping I don't have to paypal dispute this bs.

JaseC

Hey -- any word on your Sega request -- I just got the generic "go ask GameStop for a refund." Which I did, for the hell of it, and they pointed me to Steam support. I'm really hoping I don't have to paypal dispute this bs.

Yeah, I was just about to say that I received the very same response. I'd submit a ticket to Valve and ask for the other app to be added to your account, citing your Sega and GameStop tickets and stressing the fact that there's no way to activate the game without a GFWL key (which 10650 would receive from Valve's servers automatically). Let me know how you go.

Yeah, I was just about to say that I received the very same response. I'd submit a ticket to Valve and ask for the other app to be added to your account, citing your Sega and GameStop tickets and stressing the fact that there's no way to activate the game without a GFWL key (which 10650 would receive from Valve's servers automatically). Let me know how you go.

That's exactly what I did.
If that doesn't fix it, I think I'll be disputing the $20 charge.

Blizzard

Banned
Parkan 2 is...interesting. I don't think I've ever heard of it before, and it's apparently an old game (2005). It ran okay in Windows 7 at full resolution, though I could not get the nVidia control panel anti-aliasing overrides to completely work. Or maybe they work, but not on some effects, and I would have to get supersampling working.

It has a bunch of tutorial voiceovers and text logs, and throws a lot of information at you at once. It really feels like one of the old System Shock or Deus Ex style games with first-person controls, alternate mouse controls to use GUI interfaces, lots of little boxes with information and draggable equipment, missions, text logs, and so forth. It's nice that everything gets logged so you can go back and read if you missed something.

Since they are trying to be freeform and let you do missions for various factions, I suspect things may be very repetitive. At the start of the game I apparently had to take out three enemy ships, and every one was exactly the same with nothing inside it. This might be a minor spoiler but it might be important for anyone playing right at the start:
I could not find any way to destroy the ships by shooting, and wasted nearly all of my ammo trying it. I ended up boarding all three ships and killing all the robots, which wasted my SUIT ammo as well. Maybe there was some other option that I just haven't found, lol.

So overall, weird feel of an X-wing style flight and combat system, old 90's game first-person boarding and running around, inventory stuff and missions, gundam style suit, and lots of glowy space things. Voice overs are really cheesy and don't match the text, and it all feels janky. If you're nostalgic about such things it might even be fun.

As I was warned, the game can crash when you try to land on a planet. Fortunately it autosaves right before that, and there are multiple save slots, so you can just restart and load the save to land again. The second time I tried it, it worked.

parkan22014-04-1701-56qjyy.png

parkan22014-04-1701-5hcjow.png

JaseC

Wolf14 should now be showing up in your library if you've pre-purchased it. Still no The Amazing Spider-Man 2, though.

Unless... SteamBox game?

I doubt it. Ubi has no Linux games as yet and I think it'd start with something smaller (e.g. Rayman Origins/Legends).

That's exactly what I did.
If that doesn't fix it, I think I'll be disputing the $20 charge.

Fingers crossed.

Sober

I have to ask, why does the Borderlands 2 GOTY not contain everything? Just only the DLC (not counting the cosmetic ones) that came out in 2013 or something then?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Anyone else find themselves trying to remain deliberately stoic as they play Poker Night at the Inventory, so as not to clue the cartoon characters into your awesome hand?

I was one card away from a straight flush awhile ago. I didn't get it.

:\

JaseC

I have to ask, why does the Borderlands 2 GOTY not contain everything? Just only the DLC (not counting the cosmetic ones) that came out in 2013 or something then?

It arguably contains most of the noteworthy DLC, but, really, it's just a cash grab.

Edit: To clarify, I'm speaking to why the GOTY Edition doesn't include all the DLC released prior to release of the GOTY Edition itself.

mannerbot

Anyone else find themselves trying to remain deliberately stoic as they play Poker Night at the Inventory, so as not to clue the cartoon characters into your awesome hand?

I was one card away from a straight flush awhile ago. I didn't get it.

:\

Mostly I just wished that the interface was better and that I could alt-tab without pausing the game. Played it for 38 minutes and got the Playfire achievements except Straight Flush, wound up unlocking 12/20 achievements overall in the process. Promptly uninstalled, lol.

jediyoshi

It'd be a big 'fuck you' to those who bought it before the other DLC came out.

Acccent

♫ waking up and eating cereal while reading the steam thread ♪

hey guys! the images of Varoufakis almost made me spill milk everywhere.
(although btw he certainly isn't the only one responsible for all the economic shenanigans going on in Valve – sadly, today this sort of stuff is a good part of what being a game designer means, in many companies...

Just did that as well
with a guide
. Both endings are a cluster fuck. Guess you don't play Fez for a story.

I love it whenever there's Fez talk in here ^_^ I should probably finish it on PC while there are Playfire rewards... I initially 100%'d it on 360 the week it came out, had been waiting for it for ages. And btw, that's without using a guide at all, except for the Monolith puzzle which was brute-forced by the community since it was so absurdly convoluted...
I don't think it's objectively, universally very hard; I was never stumped for too long. As soon as I got into the right state of mind, deciphering everything, playing with my notebook next to me, I could solve anything without too much problems... Same goes for Braid, for instance. It's just a matter of having a brain that hapens to work the same way as the designers' :p I had more trouble with Antichamber – although I didn't spend a lot of time on it and didn't finish it, so if I go back to it I might realise I actually just can't make sense of anything – and The Swapper got me stuck more often as well. Oh and I get stuck in every single room in VLR on Vita which I've heard people say wasn't that hard, so yeah, it's just a matter of different brains working the same way or not at all.

Oh and there is a story in Fez, but it's a really simple one, that's all... I really loved that it was such a short, symbolical ending that could be interpreted differently by different players... (well I loved everything, so).
My take is that you basically reach understanding the universal truth that reigns over this game, and all of the videogames: their DNA, the smallest component that constitutes them. The pixel. And when you go back to NG+, with this in mind, you appreciate all of the achingly beautiful pixel-art, brimming with life, and it highlights one of the game's most brilliant achievements: despite being a game that wants to be nothing but a game, and pays homage to its predecessors with its pixelly look, its platforming mechanics and its chiptune-y soundtrack, it's still a living world, intrinsically organic and alive. And then you remember how you had to take notes and snap pictures of in-game QR codes and feel the left-right vibration of your controller, like a heartbeat, a sensory stimuli directly passing from the game world into yours, and it's like so many bridges thrown between the two parallel dimensions, through the screen :)

Also unrelatedly I just wanted to point out how the game is wholly about 'seeing things from a new angle', in every sense. Rotate the world to literally see a new angle, and also think out of the box to get the anti-cubes. If this isn't pure, quintessential design elegance, then I don't know what is.
Yeah I freaking love this game

DocSeuss

(although btw he certainly isn't the only one responsible for all the economic shenanigans going on in Valve – sadly, today this sort of stuff is a good part of what being a game designer means, in many companies...

I love it whenever there's Fez talk in here ^_^ I should probably finish it on PC while there are Playfire rewards... I initially 100%'d it on 360 the week it came out, had been waiting for it for ages. And btw, that's without using a guide at all, except for the Monolith puzzle which was brute-forced by the community since it was so absurdly convoluted...
I don't think it's objectively, universally very hard; I was never stumped for too long. As soon as I got into the right state of mind, deciphering everything, playing with my notebook next to me, I could solve anything without too much problems... Same goes for Braid, for instance. It's just a matter of having a brain that hapens to work the same way as the designers' :p I had more trouble with Antichamber – although I didn't spend a lot of time on it and didn't finish it, so if I go back to it I might realise I actually just can't make sense of anything – and The Swapper got me stuck more often as well. Oh and I get stuck in every single room in VLR on Vita which I've heard people say wasn't that hard, so yeah, it's just a matter of different brains working the same way or not at all.

Oh and there is a story in Fez, but it's a really simple one, that's all... I really loved that it was such a short, symbolical ending that could be interpreted differently by different players... (well I loved everything, so).
My take is that you basically reach understanding the universal truth that reigns over this game, and all of the videogames: their DNA, the smallest component that constitutes them. The pixel. And when you go back to NG+, with this in mind, you appreciate all of the achingly beautiful pixel-art, brimming with life, and it highlights one of the game's most brilliant achievements: despite being a game that wants to be nothing but a game, and pays homage to its predecessors with its pixelly look, its platforming mechanics and its chiptune-y soundtrack, it's still a living world, intrinsically organic and alive. And then you remember how you had to take notes and snap pictures of in-game QR codes and feel the left-right vibration of your controller, like a heartbeat, a sensory stimuli directly passing from the game world into yours, and it's like so many bridges thrown between the two parallel dimensions, through the screen :)

Also unrelatedly I just wanted to point out how the game is wholly about 'seeing things from a new angle', in every sense. Rotate the world to literally see a new angle, and also think out of the box to get the anti-cubes. If this isn't pure, quintessential design elegance, then I don't know what is.
Yeah I freaking love this game

That's a really cool take on the ending. I hadn't even gotten past the "woaaah, owls are cool" thing. Wish I was better at figuring out the puzzles; never really been an explicit puzzle guy.

Arthea

Poker Night 2 isn't half as bad as I imagined. Gamblers do talk a lot, a bit too much even, but it's quite a nice poker game. I wish there were other characters to choose from though, as I don't like any of them except for Glados being glados.

Jawmuncher

Poker Night 2 isn't half as bad as I imagined. Gamblers do talk a lot, a bit too much even, but it's quite a nice poker game. I wish there were other characters to choose from though, as I don't like any of them except for Glados being glados.

Im curious who they would get for poker night 3 since we know now anything goes.

STEAM | May 2014 - How to monetize gamers by Varoufakis

Let's wait for in game items sold on Steam market before we rush into anything.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Im curious who they would get for poker night 3 since we know now anything goes.

Marty from Back To The Future or Bigby Wolf from Fables, someone from DOTA II, a character from Bob's Burgers, Paul (with friend Carl in the background) from Llamas with Hats, and dealer Gabe Newell.

Jawmuncher

I'm not so sure about anything, they still need devs of those games to agree. Don't they?

Of course but considering they managed to get Brock and Ash in the game, they're expanding their scopes of who they're willing to add to the game.
Marty from Back To The Future or Bigby Wolf from Fables, someone from DOTA II, a character from Bob's Burgers, Paul (with friend Carl in the background) from Llamas with Hats, and dealer Gabe Newell.

I'd be ok with this.

Here's a list of the newly-greenlit games have been bundled in the past.

Obviously JaseC/Saoirse is immune to "disable images" option of Chrome.
Code:
[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/17ill9lquv8vdsb/Screenshot%202014-04-17%2010.48.17.png[/IMG]
All images are disabled yet that avatar persists. Must be the spirit of Steam flowing on the network.

Also I might need to devout some time to make a list of all the bundles I purchased. I'm lost at this moment.

Going to start up Assassin's Creed Revelations soon, I'm a bit afraid though since I've heard lots of horror stories around here about losing save data's from the monster called uPlay.

I'm not really familiar with how uPlay works and where it stores saves or anything like that, so what is the best way to back up saves and how do I do that.

Knurek

Going to start up Assassin's Creed Revelations soon, I'm a bit afraid though since I've heard lots of horror stories around here about losing save data's from the monster called uPlay.

I'm not really familiar with how uPlay works and where it stores saves or anything like that, so what is the best way to back up saves and how do I do that.

Game Save Manager

JaseC

Uplay saves for Steam games are stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\[account string]\[app id]. What I did while playing Black Flag was add the app id folder to a zip file after quitting the game but before exiting Uplay, and then moved it out of the Uplay folder entirely just to be super safe. I'd only recommend GSM if you want to back up a whole bunch of saves at the same time (such as when you're planning to reinstall Windows).

Nzyme32

You may be wrong. According to the watch dogs history tab on steamDB, it was actually added 13 days ago along with all the other stuff but hasn't been changed yet with their updates. I still think its likely a mistake too

JaseC

You may be wrong. According to the watch dogs history tab on steamDB, it was actually added 13 days ago along with all the other stuff but hasn't been changed yet with their updates. I still think its likely a mistake too

Oh, I thought you were referring to the oslist flag; I didn't notice the linuxclienticon flag, haha. Yeah, that is interesting. Hilariously, Ubi uploaded a zip file rather than a JPG file, but it is indeed an icon:

282b4742ff421d0f4f357x4q71.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom