• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the fastest and easiest way to figure out if a game on Steam requires it for all copies sold everywhere?

These threads are a decent resource. The OP for the 2013 edition slacked off after March, though, so you'll need to search through the thread. Alternatively, just ask in this thread.

Knurek

I'd only recommend GSM if you want to back up a whole bunch of saves at the same time (such as when you're planning to reinstall Windows).

I don't really know, it's quite easy to set up a weekly(daily?) backup of selected games and have GSM upload it to dropbox/FTP server of your choosing. Seems easier to do if you have a lot of games than manual method.

I said GSM is best for backing up multiple saves. Considering Uplay's issues, though, it's best to take a more precise manual approach whenever exiting the client -- something you can't exactly rely on GSM to do.

With a daily (or bi-daily if you're paranoid) backup schedule, you're (realistically) not losing more than a few hours of progress, right?

JaseC

I don't really know, it's quite easy to set up a weekly(daily?) backup of selected games and have GSM upload it to dropbox/FTP server of your choosing. Seems easier to do if you have a lot of games than manual method.

I said GSM is best for backing up multiple saves. ;) Considering Uplay's issues, though, it's best to take a more precise manual approach whenever exiting the client -- something that's not really made easier by using GSM.

Milamber

Turning off UAC to make that scheduled backup is an issue though.

kionedrik

With all these re-releases of old titles and the apparent shift of Microsoft towards PC, is it possible that we can get Freelancer on Steam in the near future?

The Last Federation comes out tomorrow. You guys hype?

Dunno. I was interested at first, and it's always fascinating to see what Arcen comes up with, but I have Space Rangers HD and Drox Operative to keep me going; I'm not sure I need this as well right now. And I admit, I've been somewhat put off by how aggressively Arcen has been discounting and bundling their stuff recently. I bought Bionic Dues as soon as it became generally available; likewise things like AI War and Valley Without Wind when they hit Beta. However, much as I want the company to survive and keep finding new twists on old genres I've come to feel I might as well just wait for the inevitable bargain offers.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think the more I play Borderlands 2 with friends, the less and less I actually like the game. It's gotten to a point where the whole thing is just so dull to me. Not from playing it so much, there's things I still haven't done in yet, but just something about the gameplay has just sort of clicked in as being dull. Which is weird, as I really liked it at first, and liked it up until I beat the game, and some of the humor gets me to chuckle, and I like some of the bosses and environments, but just... Something about the gameplay has over-time made the game extremely dull for me, and I'm not quite sure what it is. And none of my friends seem to have the same sort of problem, so I dunno if it's just me, though sure it isn't, but I have no idea what it is about Borderlands 2 that does this to me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That's because Borderlands is the second most boring FPS franchise in existence.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That's because Borderlands is the second most boring FPS franchise in existence.

Yai, I wouldn't say it's boring, it's a weird thing for me though, as typically I don't find games dull even if I don't enjoy them. And I wouldn't say I don't enjoy Borderlands 2, I had a good amount of fun with it during the first 30 hours or so, but after that it's just been declining interest whenever I happen to relaunch it again to play with friends.

I'm the type of gamer a game usually doesn't feel dull to me if there's some element in the game that I find interesting or fun. I can play an admittedly pretty mediocre horror game for example if there's some element about it that I like, such as the atmosphere or the look of it, or if it has good music or something. Which is why my reaction to BL2 I find a bit of an oddity. Hell, I don't even find bad games dull if there's something so bad about them that it's entertaining in its own way.

JaseC

Obviously JaseC/Saoirse is immune to "disable images" option of Chrome.
Code:
[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/17ill9lquv8vdsb/Screenshot%202014-04-17%2010.48.17.png[/IMG]
All images are disabled yet that avatar persists. Must be the spirit of Steam flowing on the network.

I completely forgot to respond to this earlier. I'll just say that Chrome is functioning as it should be. :p

Also I might need to devout some time to make a list of all the bundles I purchased. I'm lost at this moment.

At this point I just rely on both IGBW's "Keys Added" page and people mentioning newly-added keys in this thread, then check the site/s myself. It'd be too much to work to go through everything and calculate how many Steam keys I'm (potentially) waiting on.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What's the most boring one?
Half Life, duh.

Yai, I wouldn't say it's boring, it's a weird thing for me though, as typically I don't find games dull even if I don't enjoy them. And I wouldn't say I don't enjoy Borderlands 2, I had a good amount of fun with it during the first 30 hours or so, but after that it's just been declining interest whenever I happen to relaunch it again to play with friends.

I'm the type of gamer a game usually doesn't feel dull to me if there's some element in the game that I find interesting or fun. I can play an admittedly pretty mediocre horror game for example if there's some element about it that I like, such as the atmosphere or the look of it, or if it has good music or something. Which is why my reaction to BL2 I find a bit of an oddity. Hell, I don't even find bad games dull if there's something so bad about them that it's entertaining in its own way.
The sense of discovery in a new realm and associated story bits was the sole driving force. The gameplay is awful.
1) Enemies that run in a straight line right at you. 2) Enemies that stay far away and chuck things at you. 3) Enemies that make obvious circle around you.
That is all it has. Its notion of "challenge" is just bulletsponge and greater numbers of the same boring shit. The environments are barren from a gameplay perspective and there is no AI that would make use of them anyway and the guns you get make it clear that was never in the cards even conceptually.

I completely forgot to respond to this earlier. I'll just say that Chrome is functioning as it should be. :p

At this point I just rely on both IGBW's "Keys Added" page and people mentioning newly-added keys in this thread, then check the site/s myself. It'd be too much to work to go through everything and calculate how many Steam keys I'm (potentially) waiting on.

As the screenshot proves I'm too much into excel nowadays, some can say that I live by index/match combos at the moment. So I think making a huge list of my digitally owned bundles and such to provide me with something to game on and produce trivial stats, would amuse me. But once again I'm actually detaching myself from playing games to organize my games, something that poison all of us, digital game owners.

Faabulous

Dunno. I was interested at first, and it's always fascinating to see what Arcen comes up with, but I have Space Rangers HD and Drox Operative to keep me going; I'm not sure I need this as well right now. And I admit, I've been somewhat put off by how aggressively Arcen has been discounting and bundling their stuff recently. I bought Bionic Dues as soon as it became generally available; likewise things like AI War and Valley Without Wind when they hit Beta. However, much as I want the company to survive and keep finding new twists on old genres I've come to feel I might as well just wait for the inevitable bargain offers.

I understand how you feel. I also bought Bionic (and all the others post Valley) on release and feel kinda burned. But I've been kind of engrossed by those games so I feel that despite them beign cheaper not much later I think paying full price for the many hours I put into them was not that bad.
I'm in the TLF alpha, and for sure I'm buying that day one.

I sold a foil tonight for 1,75€.

The cards are printing out money for me.

I think it is time that somebody shopped GabeN into the famous Iwata holding DS printing money and Steam into DS itself.

Maybe even animate it and make it into a webm to get with the times.

Also Varoufakis may be added instead of Miyamoto.

JaseC

As the screenshot proves I'm too much into excel nowadays, some can say that I live by index/match combos at the moment. So I think making a huge list of my digitally owned bundles and such to provide me with something to game on and produce trivial stats, would amuse me. But once again I'm actually detaching myself from playing games to organize my games, something that poison all of us, digital game owners.

I used Excel to keep track of my Steam-related spending in 2013 but forgot about my spreadsheet after the Summer Sale -- by the time I remembered it would've taken me forever to add everything I'd missed. I'd intended to try again this year, but, yeah, it slipped my mind, haha. Maybe next year!

Milamber

I used Excel to keep track of my Steam-related spending in 2013 but forgot about my spreadsheet after the Summer Sale -- by the time I remembered it would've taken me forever to add everything I'd missed. I'd intended to try again this year, but, yeah, it slipped my mind, haha. Maybe next year!
I just use a measly Notepad.exe for my inventory.

OT, I was handed a small electric kettle from one of my friends and I set it up next to my PC along with a 30 pack sachets of Nescafe 30 in 1's. This will solve my Steam gaming weakness, sleep! Also bought some of those instant 3 minute noodles. Best idea ever!

I just use a measly Notepad.exe for my inventory.

OT, I was handed a small electric kettle from one of my friends and I set it up next to my PC along with a 30 pack sachets of Nescafe 30 in 1's. This will solve my Steam gaming weakness, sleep! Also bought some of those instant 3 minute noodles. Best idea ever!

Next barrier, carpal tunnel syndrome caused by too much mouse movement while playing eroge. And probably heart attack caused by caffeine and some hormones I better not name yet you imagine quite clearly. Also Néscafe sucks, get a real coffee machine!

My forgetfulness on that matter lead me to believe that I don't actually want to track my expense on this matter. For the results may unbalance my whole life and scar me forever with numbers of monies I wished to not spend.

Asskicker

I don't think Western Saints Row IV has been any cheaper than it currently is on Steam has it? At least, I can't find it anywhere. Might just purchase it!

Cultural/Autocracy victory with Poland.

71D0B2B8B32440B390E9657864437C44908E0033

Poland is nuts, you get a cultural point every time you advance an era. I had 4 policy tracks and my Ideology maxed with a fifth unlocked by the end. I did a bit of early game warmongering because Persia and the Celt capitols were on my border, they were religious competition and had some wonders they beat me at making. Once I captured Pasargadae and Eidenburgh I pretty much just coasted through the rest of the game, although everyone hated me, thought I was a war-monger and spent the entire game denouncing me. I founded the world council and kept full control of it throughout the entire game. The first third-tier Ideology policy I unlocked was gunboat diplomacy. I just parked my navy near the borders of a bunch of city-states and was instantly their best friend. I won at all of the global production events (free social policy points, culture and tourism boosts) and had, largely, uncontested wonder spamming. I was influential with 5 of the 7 Civs by turn 350. It was maddening trying to convert the last two, it took spending a lot of faith on great artists, writers and musicians as well as trying to max out my themeing bonuses and raiding all of the uncontested antiquity sites but even that wasn't quite enough. I had to double down on research to unlock the internet and double my tourism output. Once I had the internet researched it only took a few more turns to win. It was actually pretty satisfying and it's the first time I've scored over 2500 (end game scoring/ranking) on a cultural victory.

Arthea

Dark Age of Camelot too? (><)
what's going on at greenlight side of things. I don't understand this.

I'll second that too.

I don't think Western Saints Row IV has been any cheaper than it currently is on Steam has it? At least, I can't find it anywhere. Might just purchase it!

I don't think it was, but if you care about dlcs you might want to wait for some sort of collection, as I do.

Cultural/Autocracy victory with Poland.

Just a note, a good idea to "quote" large images like that.

Meanwhile Life Goes On is out tomorrow. I really recommend trying at least the demo out to see if it is something you will like. I tried it randomly and really enjoyed the "Death to solve puzzles" concept.
Only downer is the price of $12.99 which may or may not be worth it depending on how much content there is.

aku:jiki

I sold a foil tonight for 1,75€.

The cards are printing out money for me.
I sold an emoticon from Retro/Grade for €2,51!

It was this one. I've never understood that particular meme. What kind of pose is that and how does that relate any sort of feeling of "fuck yeah"? I do understand free money though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom