• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronico

I'm still waiting on my game where we actually play as the Nazis.

As good of an idea for a game this is, it will NEVER happen in an AAA release. Indie or mid tier game? Maybe.

Just give me a Spec Ops: The Line style game where I play as a Nazi soldier during WWII. Something that doesn't tow the line (no pun intended) that all German soldiers during WWII were just soulless killing machines.

I'm a huge history nut so this concept for a game really excites me.

zkylon

zkylewd
We need more ugly protagonists, this way I can relate to them.
then why is connor so hot!?

oh god, that's so bad...

....those textures are awful
well in all fairness
a) the 1776 parts look WAY better. some of the random npcs are pretty blocky but the main characters and the world are really really good

b) i'm playing on recommended settings so no anti-aliasing and maybe not maxed out textures, i dunno. i didn't want to bother setting shit up cos i've gotten to the point of my life i don't care anymore

also bonus shot of the horrors of brazil

0B2DCD6DBB07D1B327A8629EF3DE2207FBFE1FD4

As good of an idea for a game this is, it will NEVER happen in an AAA release. Indie or mid tier game? Maybe.

Just give me a Spec Ops: The Line style game where I play as a Nazi soldier during WWII. Something that doesn't tow the line (no pun intended) that all German soldiers during WWII were just soulless killing machines.

exactly

i think it'd be a really interesting case too because nazis have gotten even less attention than zombies. like i think it's safe to say most german soldiers weren't murderous lunatics with scars in their faces and red eyes so like it'd be really cool to see what devs could do not only from story but in general the role reversal and getting some context on the cannon fodder we kill in games

i dunno i find that really interesting and exciting

The_Monk

I actually think Steam would fit very well with some of my family members who are in their 40s or 50s, and have given up games since the end of snes era, especially with all those indie games out nowadays and already having a computer, most games they want to play probably don't need a beefy computer either and the price of entry is incredibly low.

In theory that is, I think they're perfectly content with playing free games on mobile.

Indeed my good man. I helped him creating an account so he can check some games that are almost only available on PC such RTS. Everything else he is happy using consoles. I already explained that not every game requires a mouse and a keyboard which I can understand it can be a turn off for many console-only users but he's fine playing that way regarding the RTS genre. Aside of that he have much more games than time to finish them, something we can all relate at some point in our lives. ;)

Jawmuncher

I'd be down for that. Though as you said it definitely would end up being Indie or Mid tier. Though in the end that might be a better fit.

Unfortunately the prevalent perception is that every single German soldier was an evil Nazi collaborator who deserves the most violent death. Some movies/series like Band of Brothers make the effort to not be pure black/white and while I know subtlety is hard to accomplish in video games sometimes I wish they'd try more.

That reminds me of an interesting point & click adventure which plays during the postwar years in Germany: http://www.reality-twist.com/wp/games-2/generation-zero/ It's been in development for a while but still not a lot of info.

Yep i've always been interested in seeing more rather than just lumping them all into pure bad guys. I really would have thought someone would have tried by now. Surprised about that adventure game though shame there isn't more info.

Well, there's always this.

More serious answer - try an older PC tactical RTS game series called Close Combat, especially the third one which governs Easter Front and lets you choose both Nazi and Soviet forces.

I'll see if I can track down a copy. Just looked on Amazon and it's bloody expensive.

i actually was hoping brothers in arms would do something like that

probably not playing as nazis but maybe taking some prisoner and having to move them somewhere and you know hearing their stories and the problems that'd cause your squad, with some wanting to leave them behind, some blaming them for their fallen comrades, etc.

i think it could've been really cool

Yep there's a lot of interesting angles they could take, if someone just ever bothered to try. The sort of game we all want honestly seems like a perfect fit for the PC audience.

zkylon

zkylewd
it could even very well be a puzzle platformer like limbo or whatever

you don't need a multi-million dollar budget to tell a war story

i just see games like that sniper elite 2 game and i feel as if maybe that's not the best way of teaching people about the past lol

Nzyme32

You have a lot of games that let you play as Soviets.
Who actually committed as much atrocities as Nazis did.

Well some one made an explanation of creating SI unit for Hitler, thus being able to define whether someone or thing was definable as "worse than Hitler". As the explanation shows, Stalin does fit that description measuring in at approximately 5 Hitlers. This does come via 4chan/reddit so I really have no idea if it is accurate to make that scale with that value

One hitler shall henceforth be a unit of measurement equal to 6.0*106 human deaths.
Standard SI prefixes apply. Thus Harold Shipman's achievements amount to 36 microhitlers.
The true utility of the hitler as an SI unit is it allows useful unit conversions.
For example: the EPA currently values a human life as being worth 6.9 million us dollars (6.9 megadollars). A simple unit conversion thus gives us 1 hitler is equivalent to -41,400,000,000,000 dollars. (-41 teradollars).
It can therefore be quantitatively established whether or not someone is "worse than hitler". When congress failed to pass a stimulus bill in 2008 the market lost 1.2 trillion dollars in 1 day, roughly equivalent to 29 millihitlers. Joseph Stalin is the only human I know of who can be called worse than hitler, as his achievements clocked roughly 5 hitlers.
When your bank nails you with a 35 dollar fine, you can confidently tell the teller that they are currently fucking you over to the tune of 84 picohitlers and ask if they have a very tiny auschwitz behind the counter.

zkylon

zkylewd
only did the "die to creeps" awesomenauts cheevo cos the other 2 are impossible if you just play the game for the first time

that one's really easy tho. you can even get it in practice mode

no dealing with dem pesky humans

now imma play me some papers, please, i don't have the import OR united fed tokens. oh yeahh baby

_hekk05

Banned

i just see games like that sniper elite 2 game and i feel as if maybe that's not the best way of teaching people about the past lol

But those ridiculous bullet trajectories and gunshot wounds!!! Those are what an army medic had to deal with at the time!!

zkylon

zkylewd
But those ridiculous bullet trajectories and gunshot wounds!!! Those are what an army medic had to deal with at the time!!

one outta three naizs got their balls blown off

both two of 'em

that shit's so crazy it can't be made up!!!

KIDS GOTTA KNOW

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Sniping Hitler personally is better than the half-ass job middle/high school teachers do teaching history.

The reason Nazis make a good videogame villain is that there was no moral gray area with us entering the war. Pretty much every war that took place after it is morally questionable.

zkylon

zkylewd
yea pretty much

but after 20 years of killing nazis

i'm personally bored

i wanna kill americans as a guy called franz the jew hater

get inside his head

gaspar noe style

_hekk05

Banned
yea pretty much

but after 20 years of killing nazis

i'm personally bored

i wanna kill americans as a guy called franz the jew hater

get inside his head

gaspar noe style

Yeah but fox news would have a field day and we would bring back the games are bad argument.

I'll take the least of 2 evils, thank you very much

edit: I'm on a roll with being first post on a page. 50 ppp master race

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah but fox news would have a field day and we would bring back the games are bad argument.

I'll take the least of 2 evils, thank you very much

edit: I'm on a roll with being first post on a page. 50 ppp master race

well where i come from there's no such thing as fox news, we just report grog as a real beverage and we call it a day

so i can't be too bothered about some stiff blonde reporter pulled right out of house of cards says about this and that :p

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
You can play the Fallouts in third person. People think it's weird, but that's how I play 'em.

Vita's one advantage over a PC, playing while taking a shit, will eventually give you hemorrhoids. I'll take having my games be forwards compatible for the foreseeable future any day.

Double dip! Support indie devs, play Hotline Miami during your morning subway commute, win/win.

Well there's your problem.

I know, I miss the days of pure turn based combat & isometric view :(

Civ V Complete for $12.49 (never used the site; can't comment on its reliability)

I used that store before, pretty legit. I need to give this link to my boy ASAP!

Branson

It always amazes me how many people still play skyrim on steam. I mean I still really enjoy the game and have been modding it recently before I do any other playthrough but I've seen like 60,000 people on a Saturday night playing it.

zkylon

zkylewd
It always amazes me how many people still play skyrim on steam. I mean I still really enjoy the game and have been modding it recently before I do any other playthrough but I've seen like 60,000 people on a Saturday night playing it.

the dungeon crawling is the bait, the naked mods get them addicted

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I spent 130 hours 100%ing it achievement wise and I'm on the low end lol. The only time I actually got bored was grinding up levels to get the dumb legendary dragons to spawn for the last DLC achievement.

_hekk05

Banned
well where i come from there's no such thing as fox news, we just report grog as a real beverage and we call it a day

so i can't be too bothered about some stiff blonde reporter pulled right out of house of cards says about this and that :p

I live in SE Asia so there's no fox news either. I still recognise that the US market is very important to western publishers, so they should avoid that. We have superior JP localisations here so I don't care if they tick off fox news with ponytails and midriffs

louiedog

i'd buy a Vita in a heartbeat if I didnt have to pay for all the indie games I already own on Steam again

I've had PS+ for like two years so if I buy a Vita I already have access to all of the games that I already own on Steam.

edit: Wow. I didn't check the timestamp. I thought I'd refreshed the page when I woke up but apparently not. Oh well. It stands even though that conversation is long over.

Skyrim is the game I go back to when there's nothing else I feel like playing. Until Fallout 4 or TES VI comes out, I expect to get a lot more hours out of it.

Currently taking a break from it to play Titanfall and other games, but I'll definitely go back to it somewhere down the line.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I decided to try Doom BFG with a controller while trying to get that Play Catch achievement. HUGE mistake. Switched back to MKB almost immediately and hit 20 projectile kills by the first boss who is hella early on.

zkylon

zkylewd
I live in SE Asia so there's no fox news either. I still recognise that the US market is very important to western publishers, so they should avoid that. We have superior JP localisations here so I don't care if they tick off fox news with ponytails and midriffs

well my serious response would be to say really fuck fox news and fuck everyone that'd mind it and that's it's way better to deal with the backlash than not do it at all

the underwear sex in mass effect 2 and 3 is just cringeworthy (not that it would've been sublime artistry if they were naked), but it's just the lowest compromise ever lol

like grow some balls gaming industry

also smaller devs can get away with murder which is why fox news doesn't even flinch at like hotline miami since they don't give a shit unless it causes random housewives uproar :/

Dr Dogg

That's what I was about to ask as well. But I think most of the units for the Wehrmacht faction aren't Waffen SS, other than the Stormtrooper and maybe Knights Cross Holder.

Closest you'll get is the Panzer Elite units I suppose. For obvious reasons it's a bit of a touchy subject that requires a deft touch, even more so with games.

_hekk05

Banned
well my serious response would be to say really fuck fox news and fuck everyone that'd mind it and that's it's way better to deal with the backlash than not do it at all

the underwear sex in mass effect 2 and 3 is just cringeworthy (not that it would've been sublime artistry if they were naked), but it's just the lowest compromise ever lol

like grow some balls gaming industry

also smaller devs can get away with murder which is why fox news doesn't even flinch at like hotline miami since they don't give a shit unless it causes random housewives uproar :/

Gaming industry growing balls? lol

Well with the decline of AAA it doesn't really matter much to me anyway. I feel for you westerners with your localised aka censored JP games though

spode

Had some spare games lying around for a while now so thought I'd start giving some of them away to people here. (Relatively new poster but a long time lurker before I had an account)
Hopefully I've done this right heh:

Good luck to those who enter.
A bit late but wanted to say thanks :). Used to be a big point and click adventure fan but haven't played the ones from recent years. I love the looks of Deponia, hope the writing is good too.

vareon

Does anyone here have a good Autohotkey script of launching Steam Big Picture with two buttons instead of one? I used this, but everytime I closed Steam BP I can't launch it again for some reason. Meanwhile, this script can do it fine but I want to press two buttons so that it doesn't mess with emulators.

Edit: It's working now. Huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom