• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

What I don't get with this new old MS games on Steam attitude is, why don't they use WinStore? Did they gave up on it or is the "Age of X" games are really that separate from MS control?

Maybe because they don't want to create versions that work on ARM processors and so aren't compatible with Windows RT?

Honestly? I've said this before, but Deus Ex: Invisible War isn't a bad game. It's just not a very good Deus Ex game, especially following on the heels of the first. The original Deus Ex gave people an unprecedented amount of gameplay and narrative freedom while still managing to tell an engaging story. I think people expected Invisible War to break new ground in the same way DX did, and it falls short on that front. Likewise, while the story's not bad, it doesn't pull off anything on par with DX's interweaving a dozen different conspiracy theories and urban myths into an amazingly coherent whole. There was also a little disappointment from some quarters about this being the future of the DX universe, since it wasn't necessarily the direction they wanted to see things go in a sequel.

If you're really interested in playing it, I'd say to go ahead, to satisfy your curiosity if nothing else. The game does have its moments. Just don't go into it expecting an experience on par with DX or Human Revolution.
How would you compare it to Deus Ex: The Fall?
Invisible War is currently the only Deus Ex game I don't own on Steam but if it's better than The Fall, I may as well pick it up.

BruteUA

The most recent one was during an assault on a farm house, where Jake, the wonderful protagonist, stops his pursuit of one of the men who murdered his brother, to bang a blonde chick who doesn't have a single line of dialogue. After that she just vanishes into thin air.

That actually sounds pretty great.

inm8num2

Me too, in fact I think them getting on steam has already caused catastrophic freezing in hell :p

Haha. :)

Don't get me wrong - I'm 100% happy that the Age games are on Steam. I just mean it would be cool to see digital versions of the originals, too, if just to quench the sweet lust for nostalgia.

nampad

The weekly Humble Bundle is really weak for me, already own everything except Super Hexagon and Cirtter Crunch (not sure about this one).
Natural Selection 2 showing up again is interesting though. Heard many good things about it and started to do some LAN with friends again. Hope I can convince those cheap bastards to buy it ;)

We are usually 4 guys so can we play against bots in LAN? What are your impressions of the game? Is the online community alive and nice?

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, thanks for the idea. Hopefully it'll be successful and give the project some much needed funding for servers. I'm still in the process of getting everything set up for it: Youtube introduction video, graphics, page layout, support reward tiers, goals, etc.

If everything goes according to plan, I should be up and running with it next week. :)
cool, hope it works for you. i get the impression you shouldn't have any trouble raising enough money for servers and crap and even pocketing a couple deserved bucks, so fingers crossed

Ride to Hell: Retribution is a worthless piece of crap. Everything about it is just dreadful. The graphics, animation, voice acting, dialogue, shooting, fighting, driving etc.

After the fourth fully clothed sex scene within the space of about 2 hours, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The most recent one was during an assault on a farm house, where Jake, the wonderful protagonist, stops his pursuit of one of the men who murdered his brother, to bang a blonde chick who doesn't have a single line of dialogue. After that she just vanishes into thin air.
maybe the ride to hell is just jake's one way ticket to his lowest instincts and his battling against the untameable sexual urges that separated him from his family and from his biker brothers and made him an outcast to begin with. a disorder he developed when he got back stateside as a way to cope with the horrors he saw at wartime.

maybe he still wears clothes because these women are just fabrications of his mind and they're just a manifestation of his desire. does anyone else see these women? does anyone else talk to them? do they not vanish right after the supposed act? he can't actually have sex with them not because they're both fully clothed, but because they're simply not real

no man this is the new spec ops the line

JustinBB7

Working on the supporter badges for Enhanced Steam that you'll be able to earn by pledging donations on Patreon.

speeAaf.png

The different badges will be for different levels of support - Patreon works very similar to Kickstarter except instead of paying once, you pledge a monthly donation that will go to pay for things like badly needed server infrastructure.

In addition to these, I'm working on other badges you can display on your profile for helping support Enhanced Steam. Some will even be free. :)

Translator badge incoming too? B-)

I guess you could argue it is unfair, though I'd just say there's an element of luck/randomness involved. But being a Dark Souls/Demon's Souls fanboy, that's never bothered me.

I'd argue that is not luck/rrandomness, at one point I got the impression that the game knows what are your weaknesses and exploits them to defeat you; I can appreciate a difficult game, but a unfair game puts me off after some time.

I gather there is much depth and complexity in the gameplay mechanics despite its apparent simplicity and that's what I like, that each playthrough is different and anything can happen at any time, but I have to admit I never made it after the third sector, and although maybe it's just me not not doing the right things and should read some FAQs I feel that the game's difficulty is lopsided.

Oreoleo

Wrong, best Far Cry is Blood Dragon.

It does more right than FC3 that's for sure. The fun wore off after a few short hours though. There is something about those games that makes the combat just feel really unsatisfying and uninteresting to me.

The more random nature of FC2 with gun degredation, more volatile fire spreading, stealth not being a cure-all for combat, and the buddy system (ever have someone die in your arms from giving them too much morphine? heavy stuff) makes me prefer it to the other Far Cry's a great deal.

Tellaerin

How would you compare it to Deus Ex: The Fall?
Invisible War is currently the only Deus Ex game I don't own on Steam but if it's better than The Fall, I may as well pick it up.

Sadly, I still haven't played DX: The Fall yet, so I can't really say. : / (I really should've checked to see if The Fall was on sale during that Squenix sale, too, and I didn't even think of it. -_- )

aku:jiki

Wee, I've beaten Diehard Dungeon like 5 times and I had no idea it comes with a dualstick shooter mode. It's actually competent too! Too bad it's just a single-arena score attack thing... Still, a game that's both an action roguelike and dualstick shooter in one package has a place in my heart.

The fun wore off after a few short hours though.
The fun wore off after the game ended?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well I hope those of you that were interested in Ride To Hell jumped aboard the crazy train while it was on offer. What? You didn't? For shame. Well guess I'll have to do something about that...

Shitty reviews be damned!
Thanks a lot for this giveaway, I entered for all of them because I know I won't win any :p

Pakkidis

Here is what I don't get. Jshackles makes enhanced steam and its a huge success. Valve clearly understands its success and even uses it themselves to the point of inviting Jschackles to talk about it at the company.

So why isn't Valve directly incorporating some of these features directly into the website/client?

Now I understand you can't have every feature i.e telling you if the game is in a bundle as that would take business away from valve, but you can incorporate most of them couldn't you?

Or is Valve taking the approach "Somebody has already done it so no need to work on it ourselves"

Sadly, I still haven't played DX: The Fall yet, so I can't really say. : / (I really should've checked to see if The Fall was on sale during that Squenix sale, too, and I didn't even think of it. -_- )
Ah, that's okay.
I'm in no rush to spend more of my money, haha.

It does more right than FC3 that's for sure. The fun wore off after a few short hours though. There is something about those games that makes the combat just feel really unsatisfying and uninteresting to me.

The more random nature of FC2 with gun degredation, more volatile fire spreading, stealth not being a cure-all for combat, and the buddy system (ever have someone die in your arms from giving them too much morphine? heavy stuff) makes me prefer it to the other Far Cry's a great deal.

Far Cry 2 with a self-imposed permadeath run is really intense and it just makes the game feel so much better, and your buddies are way more important to you in a permadeath run so when you see their flare go up and you know they're in danger there is a lot more impact to your decisions of "should I save them, should I not?"

Normally you can just quicksave and cheese your way through the rescue, but with a permadeath run you've got be certain that it's worth it, buddies can be really great because they can prevent you from dying so it's really important that you keep them, but at the same time, you could die.

And stuff like malaria that goes from a mild annoyance to "Shit...I really have to fix this, this could end up bad for me"

It's crazy how intense it gets.
I wish you could turn off the DLC though, I don't want to start the game with a crossbow that shoots exploding arrows game!

Here is what I don't get. Jshackles makes enhanced steam and its a huge success. Valve clearly understands its success and even uses it themselves to the point of inviting Jschackles to talk about it at the company.

So why isn't Valve directly incorporating some of these features directly into the website/client?

Now I understand you can't have every feature i.e telling you if the game is in a bundle as that would take business away from valve, but you can incorporate most of them couldn't you?

Or is Valve taking the approach "Somebody has already done it so no need to work on it ourselves"
I'm assuming that either they don't have the resources/time to do it, they can't incorporate the features without fear of a possible lawsuit, or they're debating whether or not to hire Jshackles to fix something they think is "good enough."

Goodies:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Hexagon -- MB-F294747690DCF978 - Taken by Zeeman
Natural Selection 2 -- MB-80A150A88EAF12E6 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda
Little Inferno -- MB-6953B9495F1118F6 - Taken by Henry Swanson

Anteater

Grid looks pretty good for a 6 year old game, it's pretty fun so far, my teammate I hired keeps losing tho, wonder if he'll get better at it.

Oreoleo

The fun wore off after the game ended?

Sadly, no. Blood Dragon is like 5 hours long and it still outstayed it's welcome.

It's crazy how intense it gets.

In a nutshell, this. FC3 gives you so many abilities you end up feeling like the Predator and can do or kill whatever you want however you want so nothing really matters in the end. FC2 you feel like just a normal guy and have to roll with the punches and plan ahead, prepare for anything that could go wrong, and change your gameplan at the drop of a hat. It's much more exciting.

Grief.exe

Valve has a flat business structure, likely they see it as a problem but no one wants to dedicate their time to working on it.

That is why hiring Jshacks is such an easy move. Even bringing him on as a consultant initially would be advantageous to quell whatever reservations they have.

Everyone wants Jshacks' dreams to come true because he is an awesome guy, but he will also objectively improve the client and, by extension, our favorite platform.

In a nutshell, this. FC3 gives you so many abilities you end up feeling like the Predator and can do or kill whatever you want however you want. FC2 you feel like just a normal guy and have to roll with the punches and change your gameplan at the drop of a hat.

Not wrong, more than once I've used a rocket launcher to blow up a vehicle target and instead of just blowing up, the car goes straight into the air and lands right on top of me!

Your gameplan really can change at the drop of a hat.

Divius

I played a whole bunch of PixelJunk Monsters on the PS3 and I'd like to have it on steam, but not for $6. (and I already own the other games I might want)

Milamber

The ost is great but the game is damn hard... how could ppl get fun of this type of game

The game is more focused on economic & production chain efficiency. The better you are micro managing them, the better you are in commanding invincible military fleets.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
i'll try this again

no

NO
OK, OK, I'll start it as soon as I come home then!

Nah, I'll probably forget about it and never play it nor Human Revolution.

On a totally unrelated note, it's only 4 hours till the Alan Parsons Project concert starts. Can't wait to hear "Games people play" live for the third time!

Honestly? I've said this before, but Deus Ex: Invisible War isn't a bad game. It's just not a very good Deus Ex game, especially following on the heels of the first. The original Deus Ex gave people an unprecedented amount of gameplay and narrative freedom while still managing to tell an engaging story. I think people expected Invisible War to break new ground in the same way DX did, and it falls short on that front. Likewise, while the story's not bad, it doesn't pull off anything on par with DX's interweaving a dozen different conspiracy theories and urban myths into an amazingly coherent whole. There was also a little disappointment from some quarters about this being the future of the DX universe, since it wasn't necessarily the direction they wanted to see things go in a sequel.

If you're really interested in playing it, I'd say to go ahead, to satisfy your curiosity if nothing else. The game does have its moments. Just don't go into it expecting an experience on par with DX or Human Revolution.
Maybe knowing that it's worse than the original means I won't have crazy expectations for it, which in turn will make me not hate it and enjoy the things it does well. Or so I hope.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I've been told that the "Steam engineers" (aka the people I would want to be working with) who are responsible for such changes simply aren't interested in any of these features, or think they're too "narrow" to have a meaningful impact on Steam's large user base.

I'm assuming that either they don't have the resources/time to do it, they can't incorporate the features without fear of a possible lawsuit, or they're debating whether or not to hire Jshackles to fix something they think is "good enough."

While it's true that not every feature would make logical business sense, I got the impression from them that the people responsible have the "good enough" stance on quite a lot of things. But it is true that they're a small team, so obviously there are going to be time restraints as well. Some things Enhanced Steam does (like fixing wishlist images) would literally take me 15 minutes or less to fix, and it's been that way for more than a year.

Valve has a flat business structure, likely they see it as a problem but no one wants to dedicate their time to working on it.

That is why hiring Jshacks is such an easy move. Even bringing him on as a consultant initially would be advantageous to quell whatever reservations they have.

Everyone wants Jshacks' dreams to come true because he is an awesome guy, but he will also objectively improve the client and, by extension, our favorite platform.

I'd love to get my hands on the client, but starting out I believe my focus would be fixing issues and improving the UI on the website. Since I've been working with Enhanced Steam for so long, that stuff is almost second nature. It would be very easy to "hit the ground running" and start being productive there within a few days. Their handbook says that typically doesn't happen for about 6 months.

Thorgal

The ost is great but the game is damn hard... how could ppl get fun of this type of game

It is not that hard if you think a bit ahead and take things slow .

As for fun factor , i like to watch my city slowly start from something small and make it bigger until you have a sprawling metropolis where each part of it works great together and in perfect balance .

I t is not for everyone i admit but i quite love it .

My current city :

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck Bit.Trip Core, fuck it.

I can't.
Did you also find the controls to be terrible? The keyboard seems to have some severe input lag, which makes it virtually unplayable, and the Xbox d-pad works fine, but... well, it's still the Xbox d-pad (and we all know it sucks, especially for this kind of game).

I felt this played infinitely better on Wii, and am sad the Steam version isn't on par with that.

didamangi

Play the campaign, it's basically just a big tutorial. When you get the hang of it and it clicks it really is one of the most addictive series out there.

I think I've played Anno 1404 for 12 hours straight once.
The game even asked me if I have a life when it autosave at one point.

JustinBB7

GFWL and Gamespy will both be dead within 3 months.

Weird in a way, but pretty good.

(except for saints row 2 co-op, hope that gets patched)

zeroOman

The game is more focused on economic & production chain efficiency. The better you are micro managing them, the better you are in commanding invincible military fleets.

mmm I did try the game it was fun until ur citizen start to need thing u can't produced in ur island. and from here problems start to show xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom