• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Did you also find the controls to be terrible? The keyboard seems to have some severe input lag, which makes it virtually unplayable, and the Xbox d-pad works fine, but... well, it's still the Xbox d-pad (and we all know it sucks, especially for this kind of game).

I felt this played infinitely better on Wii, and am sad the Steam version isn't on par with that.
I'm using the analog stick, because yeah, the D-Pad sucks and the keyboard doesn't feel quite right.

It's not really about the controls, it's just that it's hard. But I'm going to make it. Even if it takes a whole year. Like Runner.

Anteater

The 20mins I spent on ride to hell retribution was not bad, I was chasing after this guy and I triggered a sex scene with a blond chick because I ran down the wrong way in the middle of it, it was pretty funny.

Everyone seems to have sex fully clothed too.

Maybe because they don't want to create versions that work on ARM processors and so aren't compatible with Windows RT?

You know that you can list "desktop apps" aka "good old software that we know" in Windows Store.
So they don't need to remake it for ARM, not even for Metro.

Thanks Dr. Dogg

200px-Dr._Riviera.png

For Ride to Hell.

Thorgal

mmm I did try the game it was fun until ur citizen start to need thing u can't produced in ur island. and from here problems start to show xD

By that point , you should colonize another island and build stuff like farms and sugar plantations over there and then set up a trade route so that one ship continuously moves from that island to your main one carrying the selected goods .

As i said , you have to take it slow .

Do not go upgrade to another level until the current ones are stable .

Grief.exe

Coshmoria is an interesting concept that was just Greenlit in the latest batch.

It looks like you reseed a dying galaxy with life as aliens and indigenous space monsters try to kill you. Great soundtrack.

007e6e98d7770a2f352c5e094aed2e04_large.gif

ab89dbbce344dae22f3b3906362d758a_large.gif

Greenlight
Kickstarter
Trailer

They even thank GAF on the Kickstarter page!

- Homies @ Facebook, Twitter, SteamCommunity, NeoGAF & QBN for the amazing support & feedback.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Greenlight batch.

I... "In this free mod released in 2007" What?

That's a lot of visual novels. I am slightly pleased by this batch. It took me a bit to realize that three were Winter Wolves VNs too.

Plus Heroes of Steel Tactics and Arson and Plunder were both part of a bundle recenlty. Forget which one, but I know I have Desura keys for them
and I think there's still a few from the giveaway I did a while back that no one claimed.
Planet Stronghold was in a bundle as well. Glad to see Duelyst also made it in. I've been interested in that one for a while now.

FloatOn

holy crap I just noticed a friend bought me sir you are being hunted for my birthday back on my birthday. which was monday.

my weekend just had a change of plans.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So anybody wanna split a 4-pack of AoM with me? Don't think I can hold off till the summer sale

okayfrog

Banned
The visual novels continue marching in.

Good, Anakin, good... I remember there was also a Greenlight page up for a VN by the guy who made Spice & Wolf. not sure if that ever made it through. The translation team behind Steins;Gate also mentioned trying to get the game on Steam which would be awesome. We're inching ever so closer to games like Monster Quest and Rance on Steam...
So, my game library count's at 420 now. Buy more or leave it alone forever

Leave it, start a new account and get to 420 on that one.

Honestly? I've said this before, but Deus Ex: Invisible War isn't a bad game. It's just not a very good Deus Ex game, especially following on the heels of the first. The original Deus Ex gave people an unprecedented amount of gameplay and narrative freedom while still managing to tell an engaging story. I think people expected Invisible War to break new ground in the same way DX did, and it falls short on that front. Likewise, while the story's not bad, it doesn't pull off anything on par with DX's interweaving a dozen different conspiracy theories and urban myths into an amazingly coherent whole. There was also a little disappointment from some quarters about this being the future of the DX universe, since it wasn't necessarily the direction they wanted to see things go in a sequel.

If you're really interested in playing it, I'd say to go ahead, to satisfy your curiosity if nothing else. The game does have its moments. Just don't go into it expecting an experience on par with DX or Human Revolution.
Yeah, I've said it a bunch before but after playing IW I didn't have nearly the negative reaction that most others did. It has some pretty big flaws, but I think it's a game worth experiencing.

How would you compare it to Deus Ex: The Fall?
Invisible War is currently the only Deus Ex game I don't own on Steam but if it's better than The Fall, I may as well pick it up.
I haven't played The Fall, but I was interested in picking it up until I saw the Totalbiscuit video of it. After that... NOPE! It seemed terrible in all ways. Just what is going on when you shoot in that game?

It does more right than FC3 that's for sure. The fun wore off after a few short hours though. There is something about those games that makes the combat just feel really unsatisfying and uninteresting to me.

The more random nature of FC2 with gun degredation, more volatile fire spreading, stealth not being a cure-all for combat, and the buddy system (ever have someone die in your arms from giving them too much morphine? heavy stuff) makes me prefer it to the other Far Cry's a great deal.
FC3 is a content tourism game, FC2 is a struggle, so they've got a series where each game appeals to a very different audience. I can see why 3 gets better general reception, but it was pretty boring to me; it pretty much disallowed you from ever using the open world or thinking about your options in interesting ways. I do so wish FC2 was more open to modding, the community potential in that game could have been huge.

Thorgal

Since beauties like Project cars are not yet available for purchase ( Does anyone know when is it supposed to come out ? ) can anyone recommend me a good looking and, great racer game ?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Good, Anakin, good... I remember there was also a Greenlight page up for a VN by the guy who made Spice & Wolf. not sure if that ever made it through. The translation team behind Steins;Gate also mentioned trying to get the game on Steam which would be awesome. We're inching ever so closer to games like Monster Quest and Rance on Steam...

That particular VN is WORLD END ECONOMiCA. It's been Greenlit, but I'm not sure of when.

I won't be satisfied until Paca Plus comes to Steam.

zkylon

zkylewd
OK, OK, I'll start it as soon as I come home then!

Nah, I'll probably forget about it and never play it nor Human Revolution.
i mean if you want a serious reason it's just not really a good deus ex game or even that good a game at all. like levels are microscopic and interface is the worst and it's so not what you would want out of a deus ex sequel.

human revolution you should play tho. it's still no deus sex like 1 but surprisingly gets a lot of things right that you wouldn't think a modern game would get. story takes a nosedive by the end but you know that's videogames

like seriously

NO

So, my game library count's at 420 now. Buy more or leave it alone forever
blaze it and start over

How do you guys pronounce 'meme'

Total Biscuit just pronounced it 'epic may-mays' in his Goat Simulator video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4nPxKSVP2g&t=04m00s

I pronounce it like they do in the metal gear solid games.
Meem.

I haven't played The Fall, but I was interested in picking it up until I saw the Totalbiscuit video of it. After that... NOPE! It seemed terrible in all ways. Just what is going on when you shoot in that game?

Hmm?
I only played for 30 minutes but I don't remember seeing any weird things happening when you shoot, was just like Deus Ex:HR.
I'll need to boot it up again later to see what you mean I guess.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
I'm all for a more open Steam ecosystem, but when the floodgates open, I hope that Valve will maintain a more curated store so that I don't have to wade through pages of I Get This Call Everyday in order to discover anything of interest to me. Initially I wanted Greenlight to be more open but when any "game" created with one Saturday morning and a copy of MSPaint makes it in, you know you've gone too far.

I'd argue that is not luck/rrandomness, at one point I got the impression that the game knows what are your weaknesses and exploits them to defeat you; I can appreciate a difficult game, but a unfair game puts me off after some time.

I gather there is much depth and complexity in the gameplay mechanics despite its apparent simplicity and that's what I like, that each playthrough is different and anything can happen at any time, but I have to admit I never made it after the third sector, and although maybe it's just me not not doing the right things and should read some FAQs I feel that the game's difficulty is lopsided.

The game was deliberately designed so that the player would only succeed 20% of the time apparently. Sometimes the RNG is a bitch, I agree, but I've never got the impression that the game was conspiring against the player in the way you suggest.

One issue I have with the game is how the difficulty levels are described. Easy?! EASY?! :mad: It took me the best part of 200 hours playing the game before I genuinely found Easy to be easy :/. To me Easy in FTL is akin to Hard/Expert in a typical contemporary game and Normal would be Impossible/masochist in such a game.

I suspect that a lot of the issues you had with the game balance/unfairness would be overcome naturally by just playing the game a bunch. One naturally picks up tactics and strategies in this way so that potential issues can be minimised or even completely avoided. I found the game such fun to play that putting in this time came naturally. It rarely bothered me if I hit game over as I was enjoying the journey so much it wasn't an issue that I didn't reach the destination of "beating" the game.

If you decide to go back to it you might like to have a look at this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491849

I had played the game for scores of hours before I stuck my head in there and still learnt some useful tips. Feel free to hit me up by PM if I can help too :).

EDIT - well at least that's one thing that Dawkins got right :p.

I heard a podcast host pronounce it "me, me" as in "I, I" recently :/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom