• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronico

Can't do that at the moment since I'm a broke college student in the process of looking for work.

I managed to wait this long without buying that ps3 version, I think I can wait longer.

I'll just experience Dark Souls 2 vicariously through gorgeous downsampled screenshots until then. Ha

Can't do that at the moment since I'm a broke college student in the process of looking for work.

I managed to wait this long without buying that ps3 version, I think I can wait longer.

I'll just experience Dark Souls 2 vicariously through gorgeous downsampled screenshots until then. Ha
Good luck to you, we'll be waiting for you on the other side :)

Grief.exe

Are you using Durante's new tool to downsample?
If so, can you give us a quick rundown on setup + config?

Nope, I'm downsampling the old fashioned way and using Nvidia inspector for AA, AF, and AO.

I will say that there is no way you won't be able to figure out Durante's tool. Just follow the readme.

Zia

Dark Souls II, unmodded, looks and runs way better than modded Dark Souls did on my iMac.

However, anyone else crashing when tabbed out? I was trying to get some work done while I played and the program stopped responding two of the three times I did so. Serious bummer.

zkylon

zkylewd
not really

i've alt tabbed a billion times so far and no issues

only problem i've encountered so far is the welcome screen (not main menu, just a bunch of text with like links to namco's website) being all twitchy for some reason

Cheddahz

Banned
I can't play because I need to study for an exam, and these just make me even sadder.
IlrVl1u.png
6g2bJIR.png
v5l1fbh.png

I would be part of the Dark Souls II crowd if I was on your friends list lol (though I'm getting off for the night to work on school work)

Grief.exe

huh, so Dark Souls II PC version is pretty buggy? So much for PC lead. =\

There are a few minor bugs so far, but it is very obvious that From wasn't lying about the PC lead platform state.

The game is, overall, incredibly optimized and uses CPU resources in a very efficient way.

Cheddahz

Banned
huh, so Dark Souls II PC version is pretty buggy? So much for PC lead. =\

Not really, the bug that I've encountered was that some enemy was able to randomly slide into a river after I killed him (and he had been in the same spot for probably two minutes)

Anyways, I'm having a blast with the game so far, though I don't really like the fact that most of the time, the enemies are in a mob

There are a few minor bugs so far, but it is very obvious that From wasn't lying about the PC lead platform state.

The game is, overall, incredibly optimized and uses CPU resources in a very efficient way.

Not really, the bug that I've encountered was that some enemy was able to randomly slide into a river after I killed him (and he had been in the same spot for probably two minutes)

Anyways, I'm having a blast with the game so far, though I don't really like the fact that most of the time, the enemies are in a mob

Then everyone that I follow on Twitter must be the only people that have problems even loading the game.

Crash after 5 mins, can't use any other controller apart from 360 pad and KB+M doesn't work? This is what I saw in my twitter feed.

Copons

Your misadventure reminded me of a certain cautionary tale (NSFW-- it's South Park).

If you're going science, make sure to go economy as well. If you can outpace your neighbors in technology and have the means to rush production on an army, it's kinda fun turning whoever attacked you into a grim cautionary tale.

Yeah, that SP episode it's basically the first thing that came to my mind after the rage vanished.
And yes: money is always my second concern after science and happiness!

Just saying, I started a new game, still Korea going science, this time the spawn position was a little more generous but... TA-DAAA Greece was my neighbour again!
I spammed army like a baws and conquered half their cities and the war ended because he offered one of his cities. :D

Problem was that I'm also surrounded by civs disliking warmongers. :D
Oh well, good ol' Bismarck tried to have a word with Seoul, but his ass was promptly kicked and he negotiated peace with like every luxury resource he owned.

Just before I quit for tonight, Alex the Great came to me saying I suck, so, considering I have plenty of spare units from the war against Germany, probably tomorrow is gonna be the last day of Greece. :(

I think they moved here http://igbwiki.com/wiki/Keys_Added. It's more up to date, though still misses stuff. I think there are still some holdouts at the original address!

Ah, thank you very much!

Grief.exe

Then everyone that I follow on Twitter must be the only people that have problems even loading the game.

Crash after 5 mins, can't use any other controller apart from 360 pad and KB+M doesn't work? This is what I saw in my twitter feed.

There are two minor issues causing the majority of problems right now. They seem like oversights to me, but who knows with how these things go.

If they are experiencing crashes, they either have to update Windows Media Player and/or force GPU scaling in drivers.

Myself, and plenty of others, are using controllers other than the 360 pad just fine. Though there are some issues there, but they seem sporadic.

This is a massive release, and with that there are bound to be oversights and compatibility errors. Right now they seem minor, but are happening to a fair amount of people. I would imagine they would get ironed out quite quickly.

Hey there, have you guys ever experienced the problem of Steam disconnecting your internet?

I've never had a problem before, but I just moved into a new house, I have the same modem and internet provider. The internet works perfectly fine and stable until I click into Steam and then it totally disconnects, like no internet at all and I have to reset my modem.

It's a Windows 8 computer, ADSL modem and the PC is connected to the modem wirelessly.

Thanks for any advice.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
For what its worth, i had zero problems playing DS2 maxed out and my wired 360 pad worked perfectly earlier before leaving for work so /shrug

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yea no issues here either apart from that intro information screen being shaky and illegible.

The patch notes or whatever those were? I had that too, rest was perfect

Anyway 4 and half hours of work left :(

There are two minor issues causing the majority of problems right now. They seem like oversights to me, but who knows with how these things go.

If they are experiencing crashes, they either have to update Windows Media Player and/or force GPU scaling in drivers.

Myself, and plenty of others, are using controllers other than the 360 pad just fine. Though there are some issues there, but they seem sporadic.

This is a massive release, and with that there are bound to be oversights and compatibility errors. Right now they seem minor, but are happening to a fair amount of people. I would imagine they would get ironed out quite quickly.

I played the game for two hours without a single problem.

Loved every minute of it, enemy placement is super trolly though.

Yea no issues here either apart from that intro information screen being shaky and illegible.

Same here. Otherwise rock solid with a PS3 pad (although it is one of those games that uses the TE stick if plugged in, so had to unplug it)

Going to be some hours spent on this one.

I really want to wait for Transistor, but I'm so tempted to get Metal Gear Rising...
Only have enough saved for one. Not sure why I had ignored MGR, but holy shit, it looks amazing

Ugh, sucks being a college student with a limited budget

What would you guys recommend?

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I'm aware of the modifiers of relationships (even though I discovered them casually after 50 hours or so, because I probably never hovered on names before :D ), but yours are great advices nonetheless. Especially because I usually go (mostly accidentally :D ) for the cultural victory mixed with a huge army to expand in my continent of origin as soon as possible to be as safe as I can be later.
So, I'm just not used to playing with an underpowered army, and usually it's not my modus operandi, but in this case I spawned in a really shitty place, with ONLY ivory as luxury resource around, so I lost a LOT of time in search of at least another resource to expand a little bit avoiding the happines penalty due to difficulty level.
And when I finally was able to expand, I found my entire continent conquered between Alexander and Pacal (destroyed by Alex during the reinassance), so I had to go overseas, losing plenty of time I could have spent in everything else really. :(

But now, I'm totally going to start a new game with Korea, as I found it plenty fun to play with all those science bonuses I really need, as I totally want to see the motherfucking science victory in Civ5 at least once!

EDIT:

also
YEAH, FINE PRINT! :D

I mean, those peace agreements are usually super boring, they could put the city trades in the very center of the screen, I still wouldn't notice them. :D
And I'm totally sure, the next time someone will pull a thing like this again against me, I'll have forgotten about today, and I'll lose everything again. :D

Are you playing Brave New World? I ask this because they sort of changed how luxury resources spawn in Civ V in BNW. Usually luxury resources now tend to spawn in just one area, although sometimes you're lucky and there's one or two others in much more limited quantities. So you'll basically have all of the cotton, copper, marble, whatever of your particular game. Basically what you want to do is lockdown the luxury resource in your area and then trade the extras to other Civs for the unique luxury resources they have. If they're willing, sometimes they aren't but you'll at least get strategic resources or a lot of gold per turn. I think this was done to encourage greater use of trading between Civs. Also it's great to tie your religion to whatever predominant resource you have. If it's cotton, for example, I usually make my pantheon Oral Tradition so every plantation generates culture on top of gold and some food.

Also the diplomatic screen for negotiating peace in Civ V is one menu and it is in the center of the screen, just on the lower half of it. it's two lists that you have to just scroll down. It only takes seconds :p If you want fine print you should play Europa Universalis, now that shit is dense.

Good read! I actually learned a little something as I have just started playing the game with all the DLC.

There's no going back, you know this right?

v4DrFxU.jpg

That image is like two or three weeks old, I'm over 900 hours now.

Is Blackgate worth $5? Seemed to review pretty badly and the HD version seemed to be bad too.

I'm a huge Batman guy and I didn't really dig it. It's fundamentally poor, IMO. Might be worth a playthrough, but depends. I don't really recommend it to anyone, but I suppose you could spend $5 on worse.

--

SteamGAF -- I am having a Dark Souls time in Dark Souls -- avenge your Steam brother if given the chance.

If you come across a player named Farrak, please proceed to make his life a living hell. Thanks in advance.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to wait for Transistor, but I'm so tempted to get Metal Gear Rising...
Only have enough saved for one. Not sure why I had ignored MGR, but holy shit, it looks amazing

Ugh, sucks being a college student with a limited budget

What would you guys recommend?

Based on price alone, Transistor is going to be $10 cheaper than MGR at launch, and might have a discount on top of that, though we don't know for sure yet. MGR is a really amazing game, but Konami won't likely put it on sale on Steam until the summer sale, if PES 2014's price cycle is anything to go by. MGR is an excellent game, and Transistor will likely be excellent as well.

As much as Rules of Nature wants me to recommend MGR, on a budget that can only afford one of the two, I would suggest waiting for impressions of Transistor close to the game's launch before choosing one or the other. If impressions are good and you still are interested in it, go with Transistor; if not, go with MGR.

Why is it I can never invite people on Firefox? it just errors out when I click more->invite to your group. Works fine in chrome.

Thank you for the invite! As for the Firefox problem, I've heard others with the same problem for a while now. No idea how to get around it other than going through a different browser.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I already told JaseC he would have to move stateside. My guess is that he'd do it for his long anticipated copy of Wheelman.

Anything for a digital approximation of Vin Diesel. :p

Is there a way for me to backup my Steam games to an external hard drive and restore them afterwards? I want to refresh my Windows 8.1 PC but doing so doesn't save my Steam games and I don't want to have to download them again.

Just copy/paste your steamapps folder somewhere.

Seems to be a rumour going on that being VAC banned prevents you from playing dark souls 2. If that is true, it is hilarious

Yeah... that's now how VAC works, haha.

Rhaknar

JaseC how many versions are there of dark souls 2 in the registry? Is there a Europe only sku?

Dark Souls 2 has nothing to do with VAC. That's a good thing given how many mods/injectors people will probably end up using.

I think he means if you own Dark Souls 2 on a Steam account and you get VAC Banned for hacking in CS: GO or something your account will be unable to play Dark Souls 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom