• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

Anyways, I'm having a blast with the game so far, though I don't really like the fact that most of the time, the enemies are in a mob

I actually like that, it was kinda immersion breaking in DS1 how you could pick a big pack of enemies off one by one if you pulled them the right way.

Yea I have about a hundred hours put in on Vanilla Civ % when it first came out. I purposely uninstalled it to get stuff done. Now I'm finally jumping back in with all the DLC.

You're in for a treat then, Gods & Kings and Brave New World just didn't improve the base game by adding a bunch of layers of new systems to play around with--espionage, religion, trade, tourism, reworked policy tracks and ideologies--they also added all of the new Civs that are really fun to play around with. There's a lot of different playstyles.

One thing I wanna mention is The Empires of the Smokey Skies scenario, I think it was added in Gods & Kings and it's totally worth checking out. It's this weird steampunk scenario that has a lot of unique units.

zkylon

zkylewd
drangleic hasn't been kind to poor saskia

from this
EA3F0E474FF78EE65501EC31EBA9EF9B0CD48FC9

to this

I thought Dark Souls II was supposed to be more like Demon's Souls and have a central hub that acts as a gateway to the other worlds/levels. So far this is pretty much exactly like Dark Souls and I'm kind of at a loss as to where I'm supposed to go and what I'm supposed to do.

Yeah, that SP episode it's basically the first thing that came to my mind after the rage vanished.
And yes: money is always my second concern after science and happiness!

Just saying, I started a new game, still Korea going science, this time the spawn position was a little more generous but... TA-DAAA Greece was my neighbour again!
I spammed army like a baws and conquered half their cities and the war ended because he offered one of his cities. :D

Problem was that I'm also surrounded by civs disliking warmongers. :D
Oh well, good ol' Bismarck tried to have a word with Seoul, but his ass was promptly kicked and he negotiated peace with like every luxury resource he owned.

Just before I quit for tonight, Alex the Great came to me saying I suck, so, considering I have plenty of spare units from the war against Germany, probably tomorrow is gonna be the last day of Greece. :(

If you're going war-monger you're driving up the cost of research by 2% with each city by annexing and/or puppeting all of the cities of other empires. It's not a problem if you do the war-mongering early and then stop to develop those cities but it's better to have a smaller empire with larger cities than a larger empire with lots of smaller cities. The point of the army, if you're going for a science victory, is simply to stop other Civs from declaring war on you. You're probably going to want to get coal exposed as quickly as possible so you can make 3 factories and found the Order Ideology. I think one of the tier 2 Order policies adds a 25% increase to science output for cities with factories.

DocSeuss

That's it? I won't get locked out of them when I restore? Cool, thanks.

Yup. I have everything on a separate hard drive, so whenever I reinstall Windows, I don't have to redownload 2 TB of games. Steam only locks out games you don't own. If you own 'em, it'll use whatever files you got. It's why I can go grab my games, take 'em to my brother's computer, and, if he's got the games, he can play.

zkylon

zkylewd
I thought Dark Souls II was supposed to be more like Demon's Souls and have a central hub that acts as a gateway to the other worlds/levels. So far this is pretty much exactly like Dark Souls and I'm kind of at a loss as to where I'm supposed to go and what I'm supposed to do.
really? i'm finding it pretty simple since so far the game's pretty gated

i can't wait for someone to grab durantemod and slap a "YOU DEFEATED!" in here

zkylon

zkylewd
so far i'm pretty pleased with dks2, even tho this beginning lacks a little punch compared to dks1's. like no dragon, no giant raven, no boss destroying you right off the bat, but it's still good 'ol dark souls

not sure how i feel about some of the new stuff yet, like the health thing and respawns stopping at some point. game also seems a lot more punishing but i don't really mind

i wish i knew if you could be invaded in majula

G-Fex

Rogue Shooter: The FPS roguelike!

It's just like it's named.

It is pretty neat! It looks like a mixture between chex mix or maybe commander keen. Or even a Doom wad but that's not a bad thing.

It's rogue like and it's awesome!

it's 5 bucks and has a demo get it people!

Rogue Shooter: The FPS roguelike!

It's just like it's named.

It is pretty neat! It looks like a mixture between chex mix or maybe commander keen. Or even a Doom wad but that's not a bad thing.

It's rogue like and it's awesome!

it's 5 bucks and has a demo get it people!

Do you know if it has controller support?
Shame it has no achievements or cards. :\

So, if I want to get Arkham Origins Blackgate from Ubisoft, do I have to install Uplay to get the Steam key?

Nope! They'll send it to you by email (maybe not instantaneously - took, like, an hour for mine) or if your spam filters are going bonkers, you can get via the order history on the uPlay site too. No client required.

Jusoni

Dark Souls 2 does a terrible job on explaining these covenants. Don't know if they've been in previous games, but as a new player I'm pretty lost. Sooo, after some adventuring in the first open area, I joined this Covenant of Champions. After three hours of playtime, friend tells me that joining that covenant makes the game HARDER. Well I still managed to make decent progress, so no harm done.
The game feels pretty overwhelming for a DS newbie like me, tons of items, weapons, stats and such. But my will shall not falter, I will beat this game if it's the last thing I do!

Knurek

Dark Souls 2 does a terrible job on explaining these covenants.

Kind of lttp, but here are some spoiler-free hints I found posted by krelbel on another forum:

Joining the Covenant of Champions makes enemies hit harder and have higher defense, and removes your access to all co-op. Don't make the mistake many people did and enter this covenant (available right at the start of the game!), then wonder why the game's so nightmarishly difficult for the next 40 hours. tl;dr: Covenant of Champions is hardmode

More than ever before, the game very strongly rewards hybrid builds, especially including magic. Most bosses crumble in the face of "dodge away, cast, repeat". Buffs rule PvP. As usual, be aware that you're drastically reducing the game's difficulty by dabbling in magic, since drastically reduced difficulty is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. tl;dr: Magic OP

The weapon upgrade system has changed entirely; gone are the strange upgrade branches from DkS1. You can infuse a +0 longsword to become a dark longsword, then upgrade it to +10, or you can upgrade a normal longsword to +10 then infuse it to become a dark longsword +10. There is absolutely no difference in material/soul cost or final outcome; the infusion is completely independent of the upgrades. Also, upgrade materials become much more common the further you get into the game, and once you're at the endgame, they're all either purchasable in infinite quantities or (somewhat) easily farmed. tl;dr: Upgrade away!

Summons are extremely common; if you're having any trouble with an area or boss, try dropping a summon sign to get some experience with the boss, then summoning people to help get through it yourself. You can be invaded while hollow, but invasions are still way less common in NG than they were in Dark Souls 1, so don't worry about it (We all remember unhollowing just to get instantly one-shot by someone over and over again while trying to get help for O&S. There's none of that this time around.). tl;dr: Jolly co-op, praise it

Get 150% of the strength requirement for a weapon, dual-wield it, and hold whatever the PC equivalent of Y/triangle is to power-stance the weapons, giving them a new (awesome) moveset. This is a lot of fun and very strong, especially when dual-wielding weapons with high poise damage, like clubs/maces. The lack of a shield can be made up for with dodging skills. tl;dr: Try power stance, it's fun.

Dying removes your ability to summon (but you can still be invaded!) and lowers your max HP by something like 5%, up to a maximum of 50%. Wearing the Ring of Binding lowers this penalty by half (so at max hollowing, you're at 75% max HP). Being summoned in co-op and succeeding reverses the effects of one death (so if you die once, then get summoned once, your humanity is restored; if you die twice, you're at 90% max HP, after being summoned once you're at 95%, and after being summoned twice your humanity is restored). You can also immediately restore full max HP and humanity by using (not burning!) a human effigy, but they're somewhat scarce so use them with care. A Ring of Life (or Soul) Protection removes all death penalty (no loss of humanity, no soul puddle dropped) while breaking the ring, but unlike other games, you can repair the rings for 3000 (or 6000) souls apiece. This removes a lot of challenge from the game; use with caution if that's not your cup of tea. tl;dr: The death penalty seems like a big deal but it really isn't.

Don't pull the lever. Do not. tl;dr: Don't pull it.

Kind of lttp, but here are some spoiler-free hints I found posted by krelbel on another forum:

Joining the Covenant of Champions makes enemies hit harder and have higher defense, and removes your access to all co-op. Don't make the mistake many people did and enter this covenant (available right at the start of the game!), then wonder why the game's so nightmarishly difficult for the next 40 hours. tl;dr: Covenant of Champions is hardmode

More than ever before, the game very strongly rewards hybrid builds, especially including magic. Most bosses crumble in the face of "dodge away, cast, repeat". Buffs rule PvP. As usual, be aware that you're drastically reducing the game's difficulty by dabbling in magic, since drastically reduced difficulty is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. tl;dr: Magic OP

The weapon upgrade system has changed entirely; gone are the strange upgrade branches from DkS1. You can infuse a +0 longsword to become a dark longsword, then upgrade it to +10, or you can upgrade a normal longsword to +10 then infuse it to become a dark longsword +10. There is absolutely no difference in material/soul cost or final outcome; the infusion is completely independent of the upgrades. Also, upgrade materials become much more common the further you get into the game, and once you're at the endgame, they're all either purchasable in infinite quantities or (somewhat) easily farmed. tl;dr: Upgrade away!

Summons are extremely common; if you're having any trouble with an area or boss, try dropping a summon sign to get some experience with the boss, then summoning people to help get through it yourself. You can be invaded while hollow, but invasions are still way less common in NG than they were in Dark Souls 1, so don't worry about it (We all remember unhollowing just to get instantly one-shot by someone over and over again while trying to get help for O&S. There's none of that this time around.). tl;dr: Jolly co-op, praise it

Get 150% of the strength requirement for a weapon, dual-wield it, and hold whatever the PC equivalent of Y/triangle is to power-stance the weapons, giving them a new (awesome) moveset. This is a lot of fun and very strong, especially when dual-wielding weapons with high poise damage, like clubs/maces. The lack of a shield can be made up for with dodging skills. tl;dr: Try power stance, it's fun.

Dying removes your ability to summon (but you can still be invaded!) and lowers your max HP by something like 5%, up to a maximum of 50%. Wearing the Ring of Binding lowers this penalty by half (so at max hollowing, you're at 75% max HP). Being summoned in co-op and succeeding reverses the effects of one death (so if you die once, then get summoned once, your humanity is restored; if you die twice, you're at 90% max HP, after being summoned once you're at 95%, and after being summoned twice your humanity is restored). You can also immediately restore full max HP and humanity by using (not burning!) a human effigy, but they're somewhat scarce so use them with care. A Ring of Life (or Soul) Protection removes all death penalty (no loss of humanity, no soul puddle dropped) while breaking the ring, but unlike other games, you can repair the rings for 3000 (or 6000) souls apiece. This removes a lot of challenge from the game; use with caution if that's not your cup of tea. tl;dr: The death penalty seems like a big deal but it really isn't.

Don't pull the lever. Do not. tl;dr: Don't pull it.

Fuck yes.
I'm rocking hard mode. With 50% life. As an explorer... that would explain everything. ^_^;

Good hints -- quick clarification though:
Since I was originally rolling with dual daggers since I had no shield and had found an extra... if I push Y/Triangle, it would go to standard two-handed stance. I did see a prompt tell me I could hold y to make the "power stance" left handed... I assume this is what you mean by the dual wielding power stance? I didn't try it, since, y'know... daggers.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So I just received a trade offer and each time I try to respond an error message shows up. Tried restarting the Steam client to no avail. Any workarounds? Does it matter that I am locked out of the market for one week?

So I just received a trade offer and each time I try to respond an error message shows up. Tried restarting the Steam client to no avail. Any workarounds? Does it matter that I am locked out of the market for one week?

Try using Steam on the browser, sometimes trade offers works better there for me.

Wish they made more of these, hell of fun in multy. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Battlestations: Midway -- MB-3F2FE5420023D896 - Taken by kudoboi. 5 entrants total.
Battlestations: Pacific -- MB-F0592414C544479D - Taken by Knurek. 9 entrants total.

t1398413409z1.png

Downsampled from 1440p
60 FPS (except near fog gates)
16x AF
HBAO+
2xSGSSAA

560 ti is a hell of a card still.

I'm still using my HD6950 2GB and I'm always wondering what game is finally going to push me to buy a new card. The last time it was Skyrim that made me switch from the old 4870.

Wok

Dammit.

I missed the tutorial too, because I went straight to Majula without going inside the hazy tunnels right after the first bonfire.

I'm rocking hard mode. With 50% life. As an explorer... that would explain everything. ^_^;

Ditto.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I got WRC 4 ($20 at GamersGate) for that rally goodness and the videos don't play. Not the opening ones or the ones behind the menus or anything. I have WMP up to date (it uses WMV) sooooo... it's weird.

Huh...Steam just go down for anyone else?
Like 80% of every day. They have been sucking ass for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom