• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's like we're playing an Ace Attorney game together! Or I'm half-drunk watching you guys play or whatever

nexen

I assumed he was using card money from all the cards he had sold from his many ModBot wins to fund them as he wanted to give back. Then I remembered he has a review blog so thought that he might have some spare keys to give away and that's where they were coming from. He then posted that this was the case. I thought that it was good of him to do that and not just sell/trade them.

LOL

Still we should give him a chance to explain all this before we send out the lynch mob, no?
Giving away review keys seems shady to me. Unless the devs explicitly stated he could give them away.
Trading them is serious grey zone.

Is his blog really just a home-brew thing masquerading as a review site to scam for keys? I don't know the url and can't read Norwegian anyways so I have no clue. I kinda sorta remember him alluding to that fact previously in the thread, but I cant be assed to go look. If it really is, then that is the worst part, imho.

Some drama for the people not playing Dark Souls 2 to enjoy.
lol

This is embarrassing. I thought we were better than this - that we wouldn't stoop to the rest of GAF's level on piling on someone until we knew the facts for certain.

Disappointed.

Dude, where have you been? The pitchforks come out every few months around here. Last time was javadots, I think.

Acccent

This is embarrassing. I thought we were better than this - that we wouldn't stoop to the rest of GAF's level on piling on someone until we knew the facts for certain.

Disappointed.

I think the reaction wouldn't have been quite the same had it been someone else...
but, yeah, I agree. (without the 'stoop to the rest of gaf's level' part)

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I was wondering if any devs would revoke review keys. There are a lot of people in steamtrades that are selling keys obviously scammed away from devs and I am not sure if it is safe to buy from them (not that I am going to)

Kiru

I was wondering if any devs would revoke review keys. There are a lot of people in steamtrades that are selling keys obviously scammed away from devs and I am not sure if it is safe to buy from them (not that I am going to)

There are also lots of people requesting keys from devs to give them away on steamgifts to boost their contributor value. Wanna make themselves better than they are lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's decidedly likely in this case. They were given in good faith, after all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
grats Mr.Poolman on Dark Souls 2, 117 entrants heh. Also that was not a review key btw, before I get dragged into this shitstorm lol

nexen

Probably not worth the effort or possible bad press. I can't imagine the amount of traded/sold freebie keys is all that high.

He gets all of these review keys with a wordpress blog.

http://fantomena.wordpress.com/

Eh, looks like he's putting some effort into it at least. I certainly wouldn't type up that much just to score a few free games.

Ruruja

It's like we're playing an Ace Attorney game together! Or I'm half-drunk watching you guys play or whatever

1366385850526.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
wait...what? what do you mean first come first serve, its a raffle, so its random?

When the raffle ends, any keys that aren't redeemed/claimed go into "first come; first serve" mode. If you keep reposting your giveaway, those posts don't get edited since Modbot... again... goes for the first post you did for the giveaway to auto-edit. Anyone coming by pages later and sees the newer posts goes "neat, they aren't claimed!" and tries to get the key with no response.

It isn't a huge deal but for the sake of clarity of keys being claimed and non-confusion, it's better to link your previous/older post than repost the giveaway codes again.

Unless Stump has fixed the issue, which I don't think has happened.

Giving away review keys seems shady to me. Unless the devs explicitly stated he could give them away.
Trading them is serious grey zone.

Is his blog really just a home-brew thing masquerading as a review site to scam for keys? I don't know the url and can't read Norwegian anyways so I have no clue. I kinda sorta remember him alluding to that fact previously in the thread, but I cant be assed to go look. If it really is, then that is the worst part, imho.

lol

Dude, where have you been? The pitchforks come out every few months around here. Last time was javadots, I think.

He posted earlier that the ModBot keys were keys specifically given to him by pubs to give away on his blog but he decided to gift them via ModBot here instead. How the trading/selling aspect with individual GAFers and/or CAG comes into it I couldn't say.

Oh there have been several ModBot lynch parties since good old javadots but he was by far the best due to his unrepentant "suck it" attitude :D.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
When the raffle ends, any keys that aren't redeemed/claimed go into "first come; first serve" mode. If you keep reposting your giveaway, those posts don't get edited since Modbot... again... goes for the first post you did for the giveaway to auto-edit. Anyone coming by pages later and sees the newer posts goes "neat, they aren't claimed!" and tries to get the key with no response.

It isn't a huge deal but for the sake of clarity of keys being claimed and non-confusion, it's better to link your previous/older post than repost the giveaway codes again.

I think it was changed so that Modbot edits the NEWEST post, not the oldest (first) one. I could be wrong though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My stance with respect to this is the following:
- If you give away a key that doesn't work off the bat, that's kind of a bummer but you don't owe anyone anything
- If you sell a key that doesn't work, you owe the person at minimum a refund
- If you sell or give away a key that does work and later stops working, you owe the person a replacement key and if the inconvenience costs them any trouble with their account, you owe them a replacement account
- ModBot explicitly asks you not to sell or trade keys off-site to enrich yourself so selling or trading keys off-site to get something you'd rather have is a shitty thing to do
- In general even if someone is involved in something sketchy, once it's been documented the issue shouldn't continue into harassment or whatever. There's a block function with Modbot, you can use it.

I think it was changed so that Modbot edits the NEWEST post, not the oldest (first) one. I could be wrong though.

The way it works is that the first time ModBot edits a key from a giveaway, it tries to find the post the best it can; if there are multiple posts, it'll get the one on the most recent page. Once it's done that, it caches the post and just edits that post for subsequent keys from the same giveaway.

nexen

He posted earlier that the ModBot keys were keys specifically given to him by pubs to give away on his blog but he decided to gift them via ModBot here instead. How the trading/selling aspect with individual GAFers and/or CAG comes into it I couldn't say.

Oh there have been several ModBot lynch parties since good old javadots but he was by far the best due to his unrepentant "suck it" attitude :D.

Well if they said he could give them away then there is no harm modbotting them I guess. I wouldn't do it personally but *shrug* whatever. It isn't like I'm Mr.Moral High-ground anyways.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
*Does some research on javadots*

ModBot said:
Originally Posted by Modbot

Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- MB-8E4717972D1251CB - Taken by javadots
Saints Row IV -- MB-D08239F4F3E411A1 - Taken by javadots
South Park: The Stick of Truth -- MB-9EBE78BA33BF286B -- Taken by javadots
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition -- MB-B6DE7F2E61ABF76B - Taken by javadots
Bioshock Infinite -- MB-D434AB8E98E554DC - Taken by javadots
Dishonored -- MB-6FBDC1426820B265 - Taken by javadots
Farcry 3 -- MB-D2B42FF0DDBD10CE - Taken by javadots
Antichamber -- MB-C6D23CDA17683653 - Taken by javadots
Toki Tori 2 -- MB-37E88EC11A033700 - Taken by javadots
The Walking Dead -- MB-FD2361BAF4B23B11 - Taken by javadots
Bad Rats -- MB-2B43CCF23E40F5E6 - Taken by javadots

lol

hohoXD123

It's the other way around, just check the DS2 giveaway posts.

nampad

Stuff:
ModBot said:
Instructions for nampad:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Really Big Sky -- MB-E0BE111B1E86896C - Taken by alr1ght. 3 entrants total.
Major Mayhem -- MB-2E7906BF6F36885E - Taken by Jmanunknown. 1 entrants total.
Oknytt -- MB-10F0BA196CF920CB - Taken by CrimsonCommie. 6 entrants total.
Gravity Badgers -- MB-150401898007A01B - Taken by derExperte. 1 entrants total. - Taken by derExperte. 1 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess -- MB-8E5A1FE1A1A9EDA9 - Taken by Sarcasm. 7 entrants total.

t1398472587z1.png

Dambrosi

Banned
How did he even manage to be quick enough to get all of them?

Must have been a bot of some kind. Either it found some way to bypass the fifteen-minute rest period after successful bids, or he found a way to block everyone else from bidding for games.

Either way, he was a greedy little shit and we're better off without him.

In related news, is ModBot dead? did JaseC's huge megagiveaway finally kill him?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
hey

anyone wanna trade a copy of rage for an assortment of 364~ bundle keys

they fell off the back of a truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom