• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

What the fuck is Kinguin?
Edit: Oh, I see, a new kind of key reselling scam.

Looking at these top trenders going for silly money reminds me that there's a new blink bundle out today.

Copons

Yes. I started as Nobunaga, and I was super lucky because I spawned in a place full of resources and I found 4 ruins in a matter of 20 turns. I expanded my settlement, created a second city (Osaka) and since China was to close I conquered it as soon as I developed a few catapults. Just to be safe. Beijin first, the lady asked for a truce, I accepted, but the I allied with Netherlands and conquered the Shanghai. Then a few centuries passed, I decided to attack Sweden because the pissed me off. At first they were like, all friendly but then they changed their minds. And they were getting too big. Got Helsinki and Sigtuna in like two minutes, the poor bastards were still using spears when I had muskets. Now they only have Stockholm left, but I don't want to take it just yet. Holland expanded a bit, its the third biggest empire. They have the biggest religion for now I think. Meanwhile Attila was doing what Attila does. He destroyed 2 civilizations before I could even meet them. He must have like, a whole continent for himself.

I think I'm going to go for a sciene victory or the space one, because my spies keep telling me that they can't steal anything from other civs.

Is there a way to remove religions from my cities? I wanted an atheist country, but Holland converted them to christianity.

I'm playing on the third difficulty level though.

First thing first: I was joking before with the 3 hours thing, but then I realized I could come as harsh, so just wanted to explain.

Then: third level isn't that super easy though. I mean, as soon as you start playing harder difficulties, lower suddenly seems trivial, but I actually spent dozens of hours playing 2 and 3, and only recently switched to 4 and immediately after 5 (ATM 5 is the one I feel comfy playing, as level 6 is like WTF, I'm still building the first worker and civs around are ruling a 3+ cities...).

If you're going science, keep in mind that the game ends at 2050, so be prepared to start the Apollo Program basically around real-life one or even earlier because those spaceship parts can be a loooong build (like 30+ turns each) if you are unlucky with cities placement, strategic resources and so on.

To remove religions from cities you need the inquisitors, purchasable with faith, same price as missionaries.

fantomena

How long does it take before a CapCom games goes on sale? Thinking about Strider of course since after some reasearch it does not seem to be worth full price.

Turfster

Blink Trading Cards bundle
Tier 1: 2$
  • To the moon
  • Bad hotel
  • Really Big Sky
  • Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe
  • Gravity Badgers
  • Bonus game
Tier 2: 5$
  • Saturday Morning RPG
  • Vanguard Princess
  • Oknytt
  • Dead Hungry Diner
  • Ku: Shroud of Morrigan
  • Major Mayhem
  • Skyward Collapse
  • Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta
  • Bonus game

(Moved to a new post)

Aerocrane

Is it possible to do giveaways of games that are in your Steam inventory through ModBot? I'm considering giving away another couple copies of Sleeping Dogs because its a daily deal.

hey I'm from germany and I just noticed that sleeping dogs is on sale. if someone, not from germany could gift me the game (here it's a low violence version) that would be great.

I paypal the money in advance. give me a pm!

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
k4HNokb.png

Scumbag GMG. This didn't happen each time I used it to sync my credits for the last few days. I'm pretty convinved now that the GMG credit sync delay is intentional

Aucool

Just look at the prices of the recent bundles and then look at the prices assholes are asking for only one game from them on that site.

that doesn't mean that the website isn't legit, it's legal and it works like a charm, I've bougt there a key for Thief (2014) and redeemed it without problems

Turfster

that doesn't mean that the website isn't legit, it's legal and it works like a charm, I've bougt there a key for Thief (2014) and redeemed it without problems

It facilitates scamming and bilking people.
None of the keys sold there are authorized for (re)sale by the publishers.
-> site is not legit

Your Thief key was probably from one of the AMD promos, for example.

Then: third level isn't that super easy though. I mean, as soon as you start playing harder difficulties, lower suddenly seems trivial, but I actually spent dozens of hours playing 2 and 3, and only recently switched to 4 and immediately after 5 (ATM 5 is the one I feel comfy playing, as level 6 is like WTF, I'm still building the first worker and civs around are ruling a 3+ cities...).

4 is the normal difficulty level. When you start going through the higher difficulty levels the A.I. just gets a lot of advantages in regards to the units it starts off with, production and happiness bonuses, gold maintenance for units, even the number of worked tiles it has to have around a city.

You know how easy Settler, the first difficulty, is? It's impossible for you to mess up, your population just grows in happiness, that's kind of what the higher difficulty level A.I.'s are playing on while you are at a disadvantage. Happiness is always the biggest problem, your populace seems to generate more unhappiness the higher the difficulty is. The last time I beat the game on Diety, the highest difficulty, I had to play as India because of their Civ bonus, the fewer cities you have the more happiness you have.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes. Check out the Modbot guide (it's linked in the first post of this thread)

Speaking of, Grief's post needs to be updated as it recommends chopping off the redeemer portion of the URL, which is these days a necessary component.

Aucool

It facilitates scamming and bilking people.
None of the keys sold there are authorized by the publishers.
-> site is not legit

Your Thief key was probably from one of the AMD promos, for example.
mmm I've never seen it in this way but you're right, and now it pisses me off that I've given money to somone that obtained the key with a promo :\ I'll never buy again from this webiste, thanks for the hint man.

fantomena

Just remember - don't idle too many games on SAM at once, or the card drops slow to a crawl. :p

I know. That's why it took me over a year to get where Im now. And that's maybe one of the reasons I can't use them right now (planning to use it on the summer sale though). The amount of time that has gone to idling games is disgusting.

Aerocrane

Sleeping Dogs is my favourite open world game, good luck!
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sleeping Dogs -- MB-6B4EE82643C0DE0E - Taken by nature boy. 13 entrants total.
Sleeping Dogs #2 -- MB-08F3C42C847274AF - Taken by zeroOman. 8 entrants total.

t1398544461z1.png

Speaking of, Grief's post needs to be updated as it recommends chopping off the redeemer portion of the URL, which is these days a necessary component.

If this is true, then the links in my giveaway cannot be redeemed. Once it's over can the winners please PM me so I can send you the working links?

Copons

4 is the normal difficulty level. When you start going through the higher difficulty levelsthe A.I. just gets a lot of advantages in regards to the units it starts off with, production and happiness bonuses, gold maintenance for units, even the number of worked tiles it has to have around a city.

You know how easy Settler, the first difficulty, is? It's impossible for you to mess up, your population just grows in happiness, that's kind of what the higher difficulty level A.I.'s are playing on while you are at a disadvantage. Happiness is always the biggest problem, your populace seems to generate more unhappiness the higher the difficulty is. The last time I beat the game on Diety, the highest difficulty, I had to play as India because of their Civ bonus, the fewer cities you have the more happiness you have.

Yeah I guessed that, even though I hope AI isn't playing at Settler while I'm still at level 6 (can't remember the name)! :D

As for the happiness modifier, IIRC I noticed it was the same for level 4 and 5 (+9 happiness for difficulty level, which is slightly lower than for level 3), so I just assumed it would stay fixed at +9 throughout all higher levels.

Anyway, I started a military-oriented game with China at level 6, and of course my only neighbor was Songhai, ruling the pointest sticks and 3 cities while I was struggling to grow, with a complete lack of food resources near the capital. I could have retried, but fuck off, I had pearls, whales, horses and iron, which was a great treat for my greed.
Of course I was pwned by Songhai as soon as I tried settling near them. :D

Anteater

meh spent too much time toying around with dark souls 2 and modding, I'm just going to go with the game's default and contrast adjustment using sweetfx, all the other ssao options give me glitches.

hey I'm from germany and I just noticed that sleeping dogs is on sale. if someone, not from germany could gift me the game (here it's a low violence version) that would be great.

I paypal the money in advance. give me a pm!

self quoting here but didamangi is the coolest guy. bought me Sleeping Dogs and gifted me a beta invite for Dead Island also!

thanks again!

Yeah I guessed that, even though I hope AI isn't playing at Settler while I'm still at level 6 (can't remember the name)! :D

As for the happiness modifier, IIRC I noticed it was the same for level 4 and 5 (+9 happiness for difficulty level, which is slightly lower than for level 3), so I just assumed it would stay fixed at +9 throughout all higher levels.

Anyway, I started a military-oriented game with China at level 6, and of course my only neighbor was Songhai, ruling the pointest sticks and 3 cities while I was struggling to grow, with a complete lack of food resources near the capital. I could have retried, but fuck off, I had pearls, whales, horses and iron, which was a great treat for my greed.
Of course I was pwned by Songhai as soon as I tried settling near them. :D

6 is Emperor.

I always recalled dealing with more unhappiness on the higher difficulty levels but it looks like you're right. This lists all of the difficulty modifiers for the player and A.I. for every difficulty level.

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ5/difficulties

Look at Diety, 5 free techs, 1 free settler, 2 free workers, 1 free scout, 2 warriors for the A.I. That is so many early game turns of production and research that they get for free. Nutty.

Sendou

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

VVVVVV -- MB-4B45082887B8C17B - Taken by woo and indeed hoo
Cave Story Plus -- MB-4FC04AA78DD12A5B - Taken by Lingitiz
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-A82BB67E02E14543

Zafir

6 is Emperor.

I always recalled dealing with more unhappiness on the higher difficulty levels but it looks like you're right. This lists all of the difficulty modifiers for the player and A.I. for every difficulty level.

Look at Diety, 5 free techs, 1 free settler, 2 free workers, 1 free scout, 2 warriors for the A.I. That is so many early game turns of production and research that they get for free. Nutty.

That's why I can't be bothered going above a certain difficulty level. Cheating AI's are the worst AI's.

Deques

If it worked without problems doesn't mean that the site is legit. They got their keys in shady ways. There is a chance that you will get your game revoked in the future

Vastag

ModBot said:
Instructions for Vastag:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

King Arthur II -- MB-69091F3F0F0FCCED - Taken by Diedac. 3 entrants total.
American Conquest -- MB-8BB0C92D90E40C4A - Taken by Lain. 6 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-28902DE18790D1DA - Taken by Crentist the Dentist. 4 entrants total.
Lucius -- MB-DD65B1D34ABF57A2 - Taken by Sammichu. 5 entrants total.

t1398545901z1.png

That's why I can't be bothered going above a certain difficulty level. Cheating AI's are the worst AI's.

Yeah but the A.I. in Civ V is kind of gently retarded. It needs those advantages at the highest difficulty level to be that challenging on Immortal and Deity. It also explains why I have so much trouble getting the Great Library in Deity.

Improved A.I. is the single biggest improvement I'm hoping for out of Civ VI but that's just because I don't play multiplayer. I understand that has its own host of issues that need to be ironed out.

For those interested in Endless Legend, it's sold on Gamefly where you can use the single use 25% off Coupon APR25OFF to make it quite cheap (less than $20 for the Classic Pack).

Copons

6 is Emperor.

Holy fuck, that explains a lot even at Emperor!

Yeah but the A.I. in Civ V is kind of gently retarded. It needs those advantages at the highest difficulty level to be that challenging on Immortal and Deity. It also explains why I have so much trouble getting the Great Library in Deity.

Improved A.I. is the single biggest improvement I'm hoping for out of Civ VI but that's just because I don't play multiplayer. I understand that has its own host of issues that need to be ironed out.

Same here, even if I don't think I'll ever grow the needed pair to approach Deity (or Immortal for that matter)...
Two things I always disliked about the AI are:
1) how they don't give a damn about anyone, and you could have the biggest army ever, they'll of course settle a new city 2000 miles from their hometowns, on the mofo resource you wanted since turn 1;
2) how slow and erratic is the reputation system.

I mean, if I break a promise during the prehistory, invading someone because of some contested land, it just isn't fair that that is going to be my diplomatic burden forever and ever with every other civ.
Also the denouncing system is kinda... I don't know, I mean, I've yet to understand it completely. There are civs constantly denouncing me for the pettiest reason or no reason at all. Ok, some leaders were historically crazy, but c'mon.
First of all I'd like to read the reason under every denounce. And second, when I denounce someone, I'd like to say why. Because randomly denouncing somehow completely miss the point of denouncing itself...

Kiru

Sleeping Dogs is my favourite open world game, good luck!

If this is true, then the links in my giveaway cannot be redeemed. Once it's over can the winners please PM me so I can send you the working links?

I love you! Thanks for another shot :)

Man that FB RIsing Storm giveaway is insane. I entered as soon as humanly possible and still missed out. Yet some chinless wonder out of high school is bragging how he's already gotten a code each day of the promotion. Fuck this gay earth.
2 days I was fast enough but I still didn't get a key, today I realized I had to like the Tripwire facebook page which was linked there in order to get the key... luls, and now all days are over...

Dambrosi

Banned
Okay, there's really something wrong on GMG's end re: Playfire credits.

I just bought Project: Snowblind using GMG creds because 79p and why not. I had £1.90 before the checkout, and it synced to £3.01 afterwards (I had some cheevs left over from the last week's rewards). Afterwards, I clicked back to the main page, and my GMG credit is now £1.90 again! I tried logging out and in again, and no change! Something's seriously buggy with this shit.

Edit: Just closed and reopened my Firefox, and the creds now show correctly. Odd little bug, that.

Holy hell, DreadOut (the Indonesian horror game inspired by Fatal Frame) is coming to Steam a lot sooner than imagined. Maybe Early Access or something, I'm not sure, but it'll be coming next month, in May.

Short teaser released (no gameplay though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbYIzINJEAM
Niiiiiiice, I really like the look of this one.

Zafir

Well that's what I mean though. They should work on the AI rather than do a quick fix of giving them bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom