• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need to feed my survival hunger - that's why I build my first PC in the first place - so DayZ or Rust?

I know both are in Early Access and that DayZ have better gunplay, and recently got a rather large update but I'm still unsure which to go for?
It's not online or first person, but I highly recommend Neo Scavenger when you get a chance. Gritty post apocalyptic roguelike and heavy survival elements

Why? I tried one of the first versions of the game a long time ago, and I had a lot of fun. I haven't tried recently though.

I purchased it based on potential from Desura or whatever a long time ago.

But in short, the simulation aspects are too inflexible, the implementation of pretty much everything seems frustrating and there are bugs everywhere. Survival can be as difficult as finding the one tool in the world you need to do something simple like plant a seed, or it can be as easy as climbing a set of stairs, because zombies get stuck on the top of them.

Or you can put on some Benny Hill music and just run them around in circles.

I've tried three different times after updates and little seems to have changed. I also don't believe these issues will ever be fixed with the current engine, even if the will is there. It is a total tear down and rebuild job. That is just my opinion though, glad others enjoy it.

I purchased it based on potential from Desura or whatever a long time ago.

But in short, the simulation aspects are too inflexible, the implementation of pretty much everything seems frustrating and there are bugs everywhere.

I've tried three different times after updates and little seems to have changed. I also don't believe these issues will ever be fixed with the current engine, even if the will is there. It is a total tear down and rebuild job.

These are indeed legitimate concerns.

The game had many bugs when I tried it, but it was like 2 years ago. Since it was in an early stage, it was understandable. If it's still the case today, I can understand your reluctancy.

Oh, by the way guys, Frozen Endzone is brilliant. I don't like football that much (I'm European after all), but I find the game is in a very good shape right now, and they still have 6 months of development to make it super-duper awesome.

With GTA V still not announced for pc I am beginning to wonder if Rockstar is even going to support the pc platform anymore...
They're probably waiting for the next gen version before they do PC. It's coming, there's no way it's not.

Damn, of all the possible Rockstar games, it had to be Red Dead Redemption that didn't come to PC. Why Rockstar?
Speaking of, I recently went ahead and chipped this out of my backlog. Pretty fun game, but the way they made a remixed difficulty mode exclusive to the GOTY version was horse crap. Really sucks because it sounds like a way I'd want to play through it.

Well, apparently I have the same problem with Fallout 3 GOTY as another GAFer -- stuck "retrieving key...".
Opened a support ticket asking where my key was at... :lol

Otherwise, as soon as VT4 is done, I'll have at least registered all of my GFWL games that require Live for online... then I'll have a bit more to work through to do CD key validations (including the aforementioned Fallout 3 GOTY).

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
They're probably waiting for the next gen version before they do PC. It's coming, there's no way it's not.

Speaking of, I recently went ahead and chipped this out of my backlog. Pretty fun game, but the way they made a remixed difficulty mode exclusive to the GOTY version was horse crap. Really sucks because it sounds like a way I'd want to play through it.

Someone pulled the data from the Xbox 360 version and found references to PC and Orbis (PS4) versions.

Before anyone posts about RDR, that game underperformed compared to GTAIV and Rockstar at the time was assigning its own teams to help Team Bondi get the overdue L.A. Noir in a releasable state.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
As far as I'm aware it's the only reload animation that's 30FPS, yeah.
And it does look weird in-game(If you're at 60FPS, at 30FPS it looks fine) Leon looks like he's sort of lagging or something when you reload because the rest of the game is still silky smooth 60FPS, and then you got Leon who is 30FPS, and it's just....weird.
That's a shame, even more so given that is the GOAT of reload animations :(

nah i don't hate 'em, but it's just not my thing. i like the costumes tho, that shit's cray
Yeah, the costumes are meant to be colourful, hilarious and totally over the top. The fact that they wear those in the hottest days of summer is an incredible feat too.

Dude, it's a frozen dessert. It'll probably melt before she gets back to Argieland, lol

Shit, there's a date already? First thing tomorrow, I'll ask my dad and a friend if they want to come with me.
The date was announced a couple of weeks ago, and it's 2 Saturdays from now (the 19th, the Easter weekend).

damn, my dreams keep getting crushed

also i didn't know other people called it argieland :p
I call it ArgieLand too
because it feels more royal and you have (elected) a queen :lol

Tizoc

Hmm might drop the price of my Erica Reed foil to 2.30 if no one buys it soon...

EDIT: How often can one get a DotA 2 item? Is it possible to earn them from idling?

Pachimari

Well, apparently I have the same problem with Fallout 3 GOTY as another GAFer -- stuck "retrieving key...".
Opened a support ticket asking where my key was at... :lol

Otherwise, as soon as VT4 is done, I'll have at least registered all of my GFWL games that require Live for online... then I'll have a bit more to work through to do CD key validations (including the aforementioned Fallout 3 GOTY).

Speaking of Virtua Tennis 4, is it on sale anywhere currently?

Anteater

arkham origins has so many physics/collision glitches and some minor UI flaws, like quest marker doesn't disappear from a reload.

Though I admit enemy getting stuck in the air while I juggle him for a few hits was.. kind of cool...

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, the costumes are meant to be colourful, hilarious and totally over the top. The fact that they wear those in the hottest days of summer is an incredible feat too.
yea they look like something out of zeno clash or something. i really enjoyed taking pictures of them the few times i went to watch

I call it ArgieLand too
because it feels more royal and you have (elected) a queen :lol
ah here i was thinking i had invented it

i just call it argieland because argentina is such a pretentious name for a country. also because it's full of argies!

Grief.exe

For anyone who has played the KOTOR II Restored Content Mod, are you forced to go to the extra planets/content? Or can you skip it and go through the main story.

Unless, of course, the extra content is amazing.

zkylon

zkylewd
i hear the robot factory is kind of tedious but the rest is ok

ed: i think it's kinda true for a lot of the restoration mods that restored dungeons are usually not so much fun. like i remember plant factory from fallout 2 being such a drag to play

Why? You'll wear it out faster.

Just use MSI Afterburner and create a better fan profile if your GPU gets too hot. No need to run it 100% fan speed all the time.

I meant during game usage specifically, not overnight to clarify. Just been getting hotter easier lately, will try MSI afterburner. Currently using the EVGA program to automatically adjust the fan as needed but at times it doesn't go as much as It should.

Tizoc

To most of you, Monday is loathed because it's the first day of work.
To me I look forward to it just for the new Steam releases~
Nope. You only get oven then it's not guaranteed. Usually one every 4-5 matches or so.

Hmm so there's a chance of getting one every 4-5 matches, thanks.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Those Expert Stealth Maps in Arkham City are really though! :/
Just two more to go, though. Still love the game.

I see the new Humble Bundle contains the second Broken Sword, awesome stuff! Never played that one but loved the original, and the first part of The Serpent's Curse. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
so anyone thinks there's a chance watch dogs will actually get a pre-release discount?

not getting that 10% feels like such a slap in the face

zkylon

zkylewd
i can't remember the last time a publisher did this but i haven't been checking. probably cod and battlefield go for 60 bucks no discount every year, maybe ac too.

guess i won't be picking it up on release, preordering watch dogs right now just has too many cons to be considered:
1) price
2) no real preorder rewards (a different color jacket? are you fucking kidding me?)
3) excessively marketed emergent quests system that is very likely to disappoint
4) i don't personally care about this but downgrade-gate
5) it's made by ubisoft
6) seriously a fucking jacket wtf

it's sad cos it was on my shortlist for the year

Milamber

i can't remember the last time a publisher did this but i haven't been checking. probably cod and battlefield go for 60 bucks no discount every year, maybe ac too.

guess i won't be picking it up on release, preordering watch dogs right now just has too many cons to be considered:
1) price
2) no real preorder rewards (a different color jacket? are you fucking kidding me?)
3) excessively marketed emergent quests system that is very likely to disappoint
4) i don't personally care about this but downgrade-gate
5) it's made by ubisoft
6) seriously a fucking jacket wtf

it's sad cos it was on my shortlist for the year

But then you can't be one of the Day 1 cool kids. Looking at the release date, and Ubi assfuckery, we have like 3 weeks to go before the inevitable PC release delay?

Seriously though, how bad was Ubisoft on addressing day one bugs in their latest games?

so anyone thinks there's a chance watch dogs will actually get a pre-release discount?

not getting that 10% feels like such a slap in the face
The $60 price tag is why I'm pre-ordering it from OzGameShop instead.
It's only $50 there, and since my internet is slow and WD is 25GBs, it is probably for the best.

Only downside is that I'll have to use uPlay.
:(

Milamber

The $60 price tag is why I'm pre-ordering it from OzGameShop instead.
It's only $50 there, and since my internet is slow and WD is 25GBs, it is probably for the best.

Only downside is that I'll have to use uPlay.
:(

I never even consider getting a game through UPlay store, even if it's cheaper, if it is available on the Steam store at a higher price. Sure it's still UPlay but as long as it is legitimately on my Steam account, I'm happy.

Dr Dogg

For anyone who has played the KOTOR II Restored Content Mod, are you forced to go to the extra planets/content? Or can you skip it and go through the main story.

Unless, of course, the extra content is amazing.

Technically speaking no. The Restored Content Mod just puts back in stuff that Obsidian left a paper trail for with unused assets and voice work. It does support the M4-78 Mod but you can just install TSLRCM (I believe the latest release is 1.8.3). From what I've played of both I'm not a fan of the M4-78, while I applaud their work it feels really out of place for me.

Here's a list of all the things cut and TSLRCM goes someway to replace. Some descriptions might be a bit spoilery.

Also here's an interesting article by Jason Schreier wrote on Obsidian around the time Pillars of Eternity got funded on kickstarter, with a good section on why they had to get it out the door in the state they did.

zkylon

zkylewd
I never even consider getting a game through UPlay store, even if it's cheaper, if it is available on the Steam store at a higher price. Sure it's still UPlay but as long as it is legitimately on my Steam account, I'm happy.

i only have driver san francisco that i bought once on a mistake on uplay and it's pretty bad. games only get updated after you launch them so you can go to work and leave the game downloading and when you get home and hit launch a really window that looks like it was made with visual basic pop ups that says UPDATING 0%...

i feel bad for the people that have to work on making a program simply meant to annoy gamers so that a shitty publisher gets to make more money

I'm normally the same way, but with how big Watch Dogs is, it's a pick your poison type of deal for me.
Do I download the 25GBs and basically destroy my data cap or do I get the physical copy and use uPlay?

I tend to lean to the physical copy choice since I'm not the only one in the house who uses the internet(If my little sister can't load her minecraft youtube videos, oh boy, watch out!)

Hooray, 1000 games now. Lords of Shadow 2 became the 1000th game :)

Congrats!

Reckoner

I'm normally the same way, but with how big Watch Dogs is, it's a pick your poison type of deal for me.
Do I download the 25GBs and basically destroy my data cap or do I get the physical copy and use uPlay?

I tend to lean to the physical copy choice since I'm not the only one in the house who uses the internet(If my little sister can't load her minecraft youtube videos, oh boy, watch out!)

Congrats!

You change the Internet Provider. It is 2014 already, damn. I had a data cap in 2007 and I couldn't make sense of it in my head. Fortunately, they went away with that soon enough. If you're on mobile internet, then it is ok.

You change the Internet Provider. It is 2014 already, damn. I had a data cap in 2007 and I couldn't make sense of it in my head. Fortunately, they went away with that soon enough. If you're on mobile internet, then it is ok.
I would if I could, I'm on the best plan available in my area unfortunately.
So if I want to swap internet providers I gotta change house as well(Which, I may actually do soon, but nothing is set in stone)

Until then, I gotta deal with uPlay and buy physical copies of games.

Reckoner

I would if I could, I'm on the best plan available in my area unfortunately.
So if I want to swap internet providers I gotta change house as well(Which, I may actually do soon, but nothing is set in stone)

Until then, I gotta deal with uPlay and buy physical copies of games.

Oh, that's too bad. Yeah, go for uPlay then. In the end, playing the game is what matters.

Got this error for Mata Hari:

"Could not initilize Direct X adapter - Invalid call"

What does this mean and what can I do?

The "solution" on the Steam forum for the game didn't work.

I'd hate to have a game that I can't play. At least I only paid 99 cents. But still.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Got this error for Mata Hari:

"Could not initilize Direct X adapter - Invalid call"

What does this mean and what can I do?

The "solution" on the Steam forum for the game didn't work.

I'd hate to have a game that I can't play. At least I only paid 99 cents. But still.

Have you tried using the DirectX installer that comes with the game?

Ruruja

Man.. I get back from a stag do in Berlin and there's a new Steam thread 66 pages in! Nice OP MRORANGE!

Any other new bundles except IndieRoyale's Florida Bundle and the Humble Weekly?

P.S. Berlin is pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom