• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Our previous games were all made with XNA (we started out as an XBLIG dev) and so getting achievements working would have been difficult.

Our next game, Cosmic Star Heroine, is being made with Unity and WILL have achievements.

rpjfz.gif

aku:jiki

Woo, I won Rise of the Triad! Thanks Dr Doge.

I know it's supposed to be terrible but I was around when the original came out so I have some nostalgia.

yuraya

Eh, that's the standard for how games handle difficulty achievements. Also, if you care about achievements you should always check a achievement guide first anyway to see if there's any unlockable difficulties/easily missable stuff etc.

Yea. Its kind of my fault as well. I didn't decide to perfect teh game until like halfway through my play. I should have followed up on all the achievements much closely. All is good tho. I read online people ran into similar predicaments when playing dust even on the xbox. Sucks for them because I doubt Microsoft allows something like SAM on xbox live. They'll probably ban people for hacking achievements lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, I agree. I only sign up for games that interest me, but there's people that seem to join every single giveaway, and +1 chaser is the kindest reason for that.

Well, having said all that I'd probably enter a Barbie giveaway seeing as I intend to make it my 3000th game. I think I've made enough giveaways of my own to have earned a shot. ;)

HoosTrax

Our previous games were all made with XNA (we started out as an XBLIG dev) and so getting achievements working would have been difficult.

Our next game, Cosmic Star Heroine, is being made with Unity and WILL have achievements.
Oh phew, good to hear! I thought I was about to hear some philosophical tirade on achievements and why they're evil.

(although to be fair, I think Don't Starve is the only recent instance of that I can recall; it's usually due to technical reasons instead)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, all achievements must be done from the day they announce the rewards to the end day

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106638206&postcount=423

I think you're reading this wrong. The way I read this is as long as you have the achievement unlocked within the reward window you get it regardless of when it was actually unlocked. Example: I have Ittle Dew and Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes credits and I got those achievements in 2013.

Oh phew, good to hear! I thought I was about to hear some philosophical tirade on achievements and why they're evil.

(although to be fair, I think Don't Starve is the only recent instance of that I can recall; it's usually due to technical reasons instead)

I think people place far too much importance on achievements (particularly overall achievement scores), but I'm human. I like seeing the little congratulation notification when you beat a hard boss as much as anybody.

Anteater

I think the amount of loot in borderlands 2 is a bit over the top, I don't like going through 500 trash cans to pick things up in each area :(

Over-long Broforce impressions, if anyone's interested
Broforce was my first impulse purchase when I got into PC gaming last summer and I don't regret it at all.
---
Broforce is not the most sophisticated game. A story is non-existent and there's not much motivation beyond rescue the hostages and kill the bad guys. But that's not much of a negative at all, because the gameplay blows away any wishes for a story or deeper motives. Broforce set out to be an ode to 80's and 90's action movies, the Expendables in video game form, and it succeeds on every possible level.

The biggest selling point is the characters, all pixel-art parodies of 80's and 90's action movie heroes. Rambo, Commando, Walker Texas Ranger, Snake Plissken, John McClane, The Terminator, Judge Dredd, and more are available to play as and each with their own unique weapon and secondary explosive. You start each level off as a random hero and can switch to another by rescuing hostages, similar to the weapon swapping mechanic in Super Crate Box.

Each level is a fully destructible playground filled with explosive barrels, propane canisters, and many many enemies ranging from simple goons to suicide bombers to guard dogs and mini-gun wielding mini-bosses. The stylized graphics are nicely detailed, with blood, dirt, smoke, and fire flying with every explosion. The destructible environments adds an layer of depth, allowing you to tunnel beneath enemies to flank them or collapse the ground under their feet or crush them beneath trucks and heavy debris. All those tricks and fast reflexes will be needed because the game is not easy. You die in one hit.
---
Those impressions are months old, but remain as true as ever. Broforce is hard, it's chaotic, it's challenging, it's fun as hell. You feel like a badass, but you also havve to plan your attack because you can die so fast. A lot of times, rushing in will get you killed, while it would be better to flank from above or blow the ground away from below.

Since I wrote that, new heroes have been added, from Neo to Machete. New bosses and challenging new enemies and mini-bosses to fight. New levels and mechanics. The editor has been improved and expanded. Unlike the majority of betas, this feels like a finished games that gets big content updates rather than a skeleton of a game missing critical features like some Early Access games.

So the bottom line: Broforce is an absolute blast and you should play it if you like fast arcade action with highly destructive environments and the chance to play as your favorite action heroes

yaron777

I hope it's only the really high end ones. For competitive games I want my fellow teammates to play at a high fps and whatnot, and not crash due to overheating.

Except that HP laptops are some of the worst when it comes to overheating. I have a 2011 HP Envy. Costed me around €1800 (and that already includes a student discount). Graphics driver updates have never been released and playing CS:GO on low settings for about 10 minutes shuts down my laptop because of overheating. Oh yeah, and this is using a notebook cooler (Cooler Master Notepal X3)

Deques

I think you're reading this wrong. The way I read this is as long as you have the achievement unlocked within the reward window you get it regardless of when it was actually unlocked. Example: I have Ittle Dew and Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes credits and I got those achievements in 2013.

When did you register your Playfire account?

Grief.exe

Except that HP laptops are some of the worst when it comes to overheating. I have a 2011 HP Envy. Costed me around €1800 (and that already includes a student discount). Graphics driver updates have never been released and playing CS:GO on low settings for about 10 minutes shuts down my laptop because of overheating. Oh yeah, and this is using a notebook cooler (Cooler Master Notepal X3)

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows 7 - 64

Dambrosi

Banned
This should be the image we use for new Steam/PC gaming users when they join up by Steam Sales
The bestest thing about webms is the ability to pause them mid-loop. It allowed me to get this wonderful image:

justsayNOPE.jpg

I mean, just look at that fedora. Ain't it sweet?.

spode

Hey, don't discriminate. I'm a laptop gamer.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. I used to be a 'laptop gamer' myself. I just find that competitive games and laptops don't really go hand in hand. I had this funny looking setup with a laptop cooling pad, the laptop on a stand and a seperate external keyboard due to burning my hand on the laptop, hah. Friend of mine has a similar setup right now.

Ezalc

New weekly sale is kind of disappointing too. Nothing too interesting the only thing that caught my eye was gunmetal and that is in a bundle.

JaseC

The Amazing Spider-Man was 66% off for a split second there (its biggest discount yet). It's probably going to be a featured deal later in the week.

Tellaerin

A spare from the IndieGala Monday bundle. Not sure why they gave a single key for these instead of separate ones, but hey.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2 Dual Pack -- MB-FC96FF13B529F93F - Taken by Maxwood. 1 entrants total.

t1396895960z1.png

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Man, all that Deadfall Adventure hate. I genuinely enjoyed Deadfall Adventures and thought it was a damn decent shooter with an Indiana Jones twist. Had a lot of fun with it, even moreso than some of the bigger games last year. Guess that makes me the only one though! :p

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. I used to be a 'laptop gamer' myself. I just find that competitive games and laptops don't really go hand in hand. I had this funny looking setup with a laptop cooling pad, the laptop on a stand and a seperate external keyboard due to burning my hand on the laptop, hah. Friend of mine has a similar setup right now.
I wasn't seriously offended. That was meant to be a joke. But yeah, I've only used a laptop so far for my PC gaming, hope to progress to a desktop over the summer.

Lunaniem

The Amazing Spider-Man was 66% off for a split second there (its biggest discount yet). It's probably going to be a featured deal later in the week.

I hope so, I've actually wanted to get it for a while. I assume it will tie in to pre-orders for Amazing Spiderman 2.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I loved what i've played from Deadfall Adventures during it's free weekend. Felt like a really fun Adventure. VA was terrible, but whatever. Exploration was fun and the game looked gorgeous. :)

A spare from the IndieGala Monday bundle. Not sure why they gave a single key for these instead of separate ones, but hey.
Thanks! Have been interested in those two games for a long time. :D

derExperte

Man, all that Deadfall Adventure hate. I genuinely enjoyed Deadfall Adventures and thought it was a damn decent shooter with an Indiana Jones twist. Had a lot of fun with it, even moreso than some of the bigger games last year. Guess that makes me the only one though! :p

The levels I played during the free weekend convinced me to buy the game as soon as it hits -75%.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The levels I played during the free weekend convinced me to buy the game as soon as it hits -75%.

Same here - probably the summer sale.

JaseC

I can't even remember why I pre-ordered Deadfall. I assume it came with a soundtrack or something.

Edit: Oh, a free upgrade to the DDE.

you people are not late today is still my birthday yo :/(
Happy birthday zkylon!
Hope you enjoy playing many video games! Wish I could gift you a game, but don't have much money to spend unfortunately.

Uhh, want some Max Payne 3 DLC instead? I can afford that from the cards that I've sold, haha

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Deadfall is far fom horrible, but its wayyyy too expensive for what it is.

No you're right, it most certainly is. I got it for something like £15 on release and I don't regret spending that money on it at all. A summer sale purchase is recommended, £32.99 is taking the piss.

ArjanN

Yea. Its kind of my fault as well. I didn't decide to perfect teh game until like halfway through my play. I should have followed up on all the achievements much closely. All is good tho. I read online people ran into similar predicaments when playing dust even on the xbox. Sucks for them because I doubt Microsoft allows something like SAM on xbox live. They'll probably ban people for hacking achievements lol

Well it's nice to have an out in case an achievement bugs out or something.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom