• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Just sold a bunch of stuff in Pillars or Eternity, had no clue what a lot of it did. Also I couldn't figure out how to sort the chest by weapon type or stats so I gave up There as well. Still enjoying PoE, but not the bigger fan of all this inventory management which I know is a big part of these kinds of games.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
7HxF2Ay.jpg

omg ... the amount of stupid is just too damn high .....

here's the article: Videogame Publishers: No Preserving Abandoned Games, Even for Museums and Archives, Because All "Hacking" is Illegal

r3n4ud

Just sold a bunch of stuff in Pillars or Eternity, had no clue what a lot of it did. Also I couldn't figure out how to sort the chest by weapon type or stats so I gave up There as well. Still enjoying PoE, but not the bigger fan of all this inventory management which I know is a big part of these kinds of games.
I agree. What the hell is up with the inventory? It's such a damn mess with everything placed in no order at all. Makes selling items difficult, as you found out :/

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

You couldn't figure it out because you can only sort items manually within your stash (and each character's inventory).

I can actually understand where publishers are coming from on this one, at least until some clearer definitions come about. They're worried that any gamer can call themselves an archive and just pirate shit willy-nilly because they want free games. Heck, the Internet Archive says you can only use these for educational purposes (or something to that effect) but doesn't require any logins or anything, and let any old person download their games with pretty much no supervision. Even my local library requires me to have a library card if I want to borrow an e-book download, and even then they have limited copies because they can only have so many licenses for the book. If the Internet Archive actually operated like a library - limitations such as requiring an email address to log in, no more than three people can play a game at the same time - I'd be okay with them. Right now it just feels like an abandonware site wearing a tie to make itself seem official.

I can see an exception for MADE. They actually seem legit, but I'll admit I only gave their site a cursory glance. I can also see exceptions if actual government institutions such as libraries or museums want to lend software.

Mind you, copyright rulings for software (and anything else) are pretty fucked. I don't agree with this "life of the creator plus 90 years" or whatever it is nonsense that's the status quo (even though I abide by that legally,) but nor do I agree with the so-called abandonware's idea of "five years after release date and it should be fine." I'd say a nice compromise would be "if it's not available digitally or remade after 20 years, another company can petition the courts for the rights to sell it. If nobody petitions after another five years, it's public domain." ...Or SOMETHING. I'm just winging it.

I guess my point is, just cause something calls itself an archive, doesn't necessarily make it one. Publishers should have the right to call bullshit on that, but also should have to step aside when there are official archives and museums who want to do things with the games.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I can actually understand where publishers are coming from on this one, at least until some clearer definitions come about. They're worried that any gamer can call themselves an archive and just pirate shit willy-nilly because they want free games. Heck, the Internet Archive says you can only use these for educational purposes (or something to that effect) but doesn't require any logins or anything, and let any old person download their games with pretty much no supervision. Even my local library requires me to have a library card if I want to borrow an e-book download, and even then they have limited copies because they can only have so many licenses for the book. If the Internet Archive actually operated like a library - limitations such as requiring an email address to log in, no more than three people can play a game at the same time - I'd be okay with them. Right now it just feels like an abandonware site wearing a tie to make itself seem official.

I can see an exception for MADE. They actually seem legit, but I'll admit I only gave their site a cursory glance. I can also see exceptions if actual government institutions such as libraries or museums want to lend software.

Mind you, copyright rulings for software (and anything else) are pretty fucked. I don't agree with this "life of the creator plus 90 years" or whatever it is nonsense that's the status quo (even though I abide by that legally,) but nor do I agree with the so-called abandonware's idea of "five years after release date and it should be fine." I'd say a nice compromise would be "if it's not available digitally or remade after 20 years, another company can petition the courts for the rights to sell it. If nobody petitions after another five years, it's public domain." ...Or SOMETHING. I'm just winging it.

I guess my point is, just cause something calls itself an archive, doesn't necessarily make it one. Publishers should have the right to call bullshit on that, but also should have to step aside when there are official archives and museums who want to do things with the games.

yeah, I totally understand ... but then again, they're saying stuff like that:

"They say that modifying games to connect to a new server (or to avoid contacting a server at all) after publisher support ends—letting people continue to play the games they paid for—will destroy the video game industry"

I'm going to play Tomb Raider, you guys. Hopefully it's less dreadful than thi4f.

Time to brace for disappointment.
I agree. What the hell is up with the inventory? It's such a damn mess with everything placed in no order at all. Makes selling items difficult, as you found out :/

In PoE, 95% of the items are junk. It should be obvious when you pick something of value up. Furthermore, valuable items are marked differently than common stuff so they can easily be seen before looting. Loot useful items to characters, and everything else to the stash.

The most unfortunate thing about the inventory system is that party members out of the party have inaccessible inventories, which is a real bummer.

"They say that modifying games to connect to a new server (or to avoid contacting a server at all) after publisher support ends—letting people continue to play the games they paid for—will destroy the video game industry"

Server? Are they talking about MMOs or digital distribution?

Dsyndrome

God forbid you play Madden 2010 online forever, straight up stealing from EA.

r3n4ud

In PoE, 95% of the items are junk. It should be obvious when you pick something of value up. Furthermore, valuable items are marked differently than common stuff so they can easily be seen before looting. Loot useful items to characters, and everything else to the stash.

The most unfortunate thing about the inventory system is that party members out of the party have inaccessible inventories, which is a real bummer.

Still, they can make it easier to arrange inventory items though. Guess it's my ocd talking, but shit, I want my items in some sort of order.

Turfster

I'm going to play Tomb Raider, you guys. Hopefully it's less dreadful than thi4f.

Time to brace for disappointment.

Tomb Raider is flawed, but a good game.
Thi4f is a dungheap with no redeeming qualities, gameplay wise. (Yes the music is nice, and it's pretty, I guess)

Just came around watching the new Deus Ex trailer.

Nice CG. The first one was better though. Still pretty cool.

Still think it's a bad choice to go with the same protagonist and time setting.

I hope Illuminati become a big role like in the original Deus Ex. That was crazy back then. Weishaupt, Rothschild, it had it all.

Maniac

Banned
I'm dumb.

I forgot what the general consensus was in regards to the best (preferably free and cross-device) password program was.

Stupid is as stupid does ^_~'

Please remind me ya'll <3

Tomb Raider is flawed, but a good game.
Thi4f is a dungheap with no redeeming qualities, gameplay wise. (Yes the music is nice, and it's pretty, I guess)

The only redeeming quality thi4f has is that it ends.

(If anyone thinks this is hyperbole, play thi4f. You will be converted.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm dumb.

I forgot what the general consensus was in regards to the best (preferably free and cross-device) password program was.

Stupid is as stupid does ^_~'

Please remind me ya'll <3

Your three options are:
- 1Password: Expensive as heck yo
- LastPass: Free except for mobile, subscription $1/month
- KeePass: Free, but I personally don't like what mobile options are like

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Your three options are:
- 1Password: Expensive as heck yo
- LastPass: Free except for mobile, subscription $1/month
- KeePass: Free, but I personally don't like what mobile options are like

Keepass2android has gotten some pretty good updates as of late. Definitely worth checking out for the price of free ninety-nine.

I want to uninstall the Souls games but I see DS1 has a cloud symbol but DS2 has none.

Can I delete DS1 and not manually backup saves and still have my save in the future when I want to replay?

Just installed GSM for DS2. Does deleting local files also remove save files or do they stay?

Jawmuncher

I gotta give up on these side quests in pillars. They just eat so much time and I still have a lot on my plate. They are better than the typical fare though in RPGs.

Tomb Raider has already impressed me. Its linear traversal segments (e.g. scale this wall with conveniently placed pipes) contain the most natural-looking climbing paths I've ever seen... in said segments.

Found more Humble keys not used, Desura.
ModBot said:
Instructions for RunWhiteBoyRun:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (RunWhiteBoyRun, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

w5Bqht8.png

Mystery Game #2 -- MB-96F2B7A6A31A412B - Taken by gabbo. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-68C567E04C59F1BA - Taken by BigAT. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Frozenbyte Bundle Desura Key -- MB-CB57B14DF1DF0894 - Taken by Darth Kupi

t1428543708z1.png

Salsa

I've been meaning to get back to Life is Strange ep 1 but I keep putting it off. I left it when I got in the car and was about to leave the shitty school too.

it's like im too lazy to turn on the TV and launch big picture and all that when grabbing the 3DS is so much easier

you guys don't know my struggle

I've been meaning to get back to Life is Strange ep 1 but I keep putting it off. I left it when I got in the car and was about to leave the shitty school too.

it's like im too lazy to turn on the TV and launch big picture and all that when grabbing the 3DS is so much easier

you guys don't know my struggle
Stop the struggle and get back to life is strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom