• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I mean ..what other game to this date lets you roll around on the ground and throw grenades at people off your back. And that being after a grenade explosion knocked you to the ground to begin with :p

Its those little things that made guns of the patriots great and so ahead of its time. The best stealth action game of last gen imo. Haters gonna hate.

I was there for the story though.

Did you start playing MGS with MGS4?
This is bad :S
Anyway I mean someone that never touched a MG game (and yeah, it was plenty since MGS4 was one of the biggest release on PS3).

lol no, just wanted to see what you would say if you thought so.

I mean ..what other game to this date lets you roll around on the ground and throw grenades at people off your back. And that being after a grenade explosion knocked you to the ground to begin with :p

Its those little things that made guns of the patriots great and so ahead of its time. The best stealth action game of last gen imo. Haters gonna hate.

you cant call it the best stealth game when there was dishonored, DXHR, and even at least one good splinter cell game that came out during that era. MGS4 was an event game, a game that would get ripped to shreds in this day and age for its unflinching devotion to removing the gamer from the interactive parts of the game for much too long and for having been written by someone who has absolutely no regard for pacing or overinforming.

BigAT

MGS 4 came with a free interactive encyclopedia if you couldn't follow it. It's not ideal but what do you expect for a sequel following more than one game?

You're actually probably better off if you can't follow what's going on. If you know what's going on you might realize what terrible, fan-fiction level writing the game has.

Lomax

That's some serious superiority complex. Gaf isn't the only place where gamers go to check on news. There are numerous other forums, numerous IRCs, numerous youtubers, all of whom talk about these things.

I also take it you aren't a channer.

Again, that's not the point. NONE of those groups represent the masses. Not Gaf, not reddit, not 4chan, none of them. They are all representative of the extremes. I'm talking about Gaf because we're on Gaf, but the statement would be true on any of those other forums as well. Maybe you could make the argument that someone like PewDiePie could be seen as a voice of the masses, but that doesn't mean his YouTube comments are somehow an accurate representation of reality. Internet bluster is internet bluster. Now, if some inside source came out and said "50% of MGSV pre-orders were cancelled since the news about Kojima", then that would mean something. But the rest is all anecdote. And history tells us that bluster won't be reflected in decreased sales numbers.

Jawmuncher

ss_d4e3b31373c5e06b90d779abd8924dbaf1d887a8.600x338.jpg
Now that's mortal kombat

yuraya

you cant call it the best stealth game when there was dishonored, DXHR, and even at least one good splinter cell game that came out during that era. MGS4 was an event game, a game that would get ripped to shreds in this day and age for its unflinching devotion to removing the gamer from the interactive parts of the game for much too long and for having been written by someone who has absolutely no regard for pacing or overinforming.

Nah. Reviewers and gamers know what they are getting themselves into when they play MGS games. The games always had many cutscenes. Some of which are long and other portions of the game where story becomes crazy going off the deep end. That is the main appeal of mgs games. And this isn't even counting the codec convos either. That stuff takes it even further out.

I guarantee you MGSV will also have many long cutscenes and Kojima will info dump a lot on people without warning. That is just the nature of his games. Fans will love it and rate it high just like the previous games :p

_hekk05

Banned
Again, that's not the point. NONE of those groups represent the masses. Not Gaf, not reddit, not 4chan, none of them. They are all representative of the extremes. I'm talking about Gaf because we're on Gaf, but the statement would be true on any of those other forums as well. Maybe you could make the argument that someone like PewDiePie could be seen as a voice of the masses, but that doesn't mean his YouTube comments are somehow an accurate representation of reality. Internet bluster is internet bluster. Now, if some inside source came out and said "50% of MGSV pre-orders were cancelled since the news about Kojima", then that would mean something. But the rest is all anecdote. And history tells us that bluster won't be reflected in decreased sales numbers.

Well sure we've got no hard data on pre-order numbers, and no one group represent the masses, but we're not talking about the masses. We're talking specifically about people who are knowledgeable about the gaming industry and who pre-order.

Your initial post was talking about as if the small market that is gaf isn't emblematic of the masses, which in itself is incorrect as I'm talking about a very specific set of people, and also implies that gaf is this specific set of people.

My post tells you that gaf is in fact not representative of this set of people and that there are a broader pockets of the internet that is talking about this.

You then talked about how the average person won't even know who Kojima is, but the average person doesn't pre-order. The average person looks at an ad and goes: that's cool. Imma pop down to gamestop. We're not talking about the average person.

And yes, I admit that I did not mention anything about the phenomenon of pre-order cancellations, and that's because there is no clear consensus on the internet on this. There are lots of people who are angry at Konami but there are also a significant number of people who want to support Kojima's last Metal Gear.

In addition, the argument was loosely based on PunishedSnake's assertion that a lot of people have cancelled their pre-order. I just felt it was interesting to talk about what Konami is thinking given the circumstances presented.

Nah. Reviewers and gamers know what they are getting themselves into when they play MGS games. The games always had many cutscenes. Some of which are long and other portions of the game where story becomes crazy going off the deep end. That is the main appeal of mgs games. And this isn't even counting the codec convos either. That stuff takes it even further out.

I guarantee you MGSV will also have many long cutscenes and Kojima will info dump a lot on people without warning. That is just the nature of his games. Fans will love it and rate it high just like the previous games :p

Fans will rate it high because Kojima, Journos will rate it high because money, and a specific section of journos will dump on it because violence and misogyny and child soldiers and because they're hipsters who're different.

So basically any other AAA game that's OK.

Parsnip

Just be happy you're not Swedish or Finnish though
Hey now.

I always wonder if perhaps I played a different game.
I'm with you, MGS4 is terrible.
The strongest point of that game for me was the Shadow Moses arrival and that's just nostalgia for a game that I actually liked.

MGS3 is where it's at, and I can't wait to replay it when it hits PC.
I didn't even know a second series existed.

Lomax

Well sure we've got no hard data on pre-order numbers, and no one group represent the masses, but we're not talking about the masses. We're talking specifically about people who are knowledgeable about the gaming industry and who pre-order.

Your initial post was talking about as if the small market that is gaf isn't emblematic of the masses, which in itself is incorrect as I'm talking about a very specific set of people, and also implies that gaf is this specific set of people.

My post tells you that gaf is in fact not representative of this set of people and that there are a broader pockets of the internet that is talking about this.

You then talked about how the average person won't even know who Kojima is, but the average person doesn't pre-order. The average person looks at an ad and goes: that's cool. Imma pop down to gamestop. We're not talking about the average person.

And yes, I admit that I did not mention anything about the phenomenon of pre-order cancellations, and that's because there is no clear consensus on the internet on this. There are lots of people who are angry at Konami but there are also a significant number of people who want to support Kojima's last Metal Gear.

In addition, the argument was loosely based on PunishedSnake's assertion that a lot of people have cancelled their pre-order. I just felt it was interesting to talk about what Konami is thinking given the circumstances presented.

That's fair, and I probably should have replied more to his post than to yours, as I was in many ways responding more to that. Would massive pre-order cancellations signify something? Absolutely. I just find it really unlikely that massive pre-order cancellations are actually happening.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
People, people please. Kojima fans are most likely weaboos and/or Sony ponies.

Their opinions can be safely disregarded.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Wild Season would be the first Harvest Moon-a-like on PC, right?

Followed by whenever StarDelay Valley releases.

Wish we had something at the level of Rune Factory on PC.

Still hyped for gritty harvest moon.
And the Friend-Zone Engine.

I never knew how much I needed this until right now.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I always wonder if perhaps I played a different game.

MGS4 is still my least favorite mainline MGS game, so you're not alone.

I also dislike the microwave hallway, and think it's incredibly overrated.

yuraya

Well, yes and no. All games have long cutscenes, that is true (just like the one in MGS1 after you defeat Ocelot), but usually those cutscenes are not too long. MGS4 has one hour and half cutscene in the end, and other insanely ones in the middle of the game. There is not such a thing in other games.

The ending of MGS2 was very long with many cutscenes. Hayter gave an entire lecture in that game from what I remember. The beginning of MGS3 was also very slow as well with many cutscenes and lots of info dump with cold war stuff etc. All the games took the dialogue to the extreme and always removed the gamer from the gameplay parts of the game. MGS4 went too far sure but it was probably just making use of that bluray disc technology. They gave Kojima so many gigabytes he went crazy :p

Can't wait for everyone to cry when they find out MGSV has like 20 hour of cutscenes. People gonna Q_Q so much they fall for Kojima's trap when he says it will be different this time around.

Tizoc

The Kojima worship on GAF is...noticeable.

Also I don't know what to have for dinner & as much as I want Shawarma, I FINISH AT MIDNIGHT WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE CLOSES.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Well deserved. The game is a great ride. I'll pick up my own copy when I go for an eventual replay since I split the game with a friend via family sharing to lower the "potential for an indie game to be garbage" risk.

It's too bad it was paid so little attention in this thread despite the fact that it's actually a game on the Steam platform (I'm pretty sure Bloodborne posts would tally higher).

Maniac

Banned
I think that the indie = a game developed without publisher backing definition doesn't apply in cases where the marketing budget is $10m more expensive than the development budget and is being split between two publishers. ;) It's entirely possible that if CDPR had to handle marketing itself then TW3 wouldn't quite be the game that it is.

Pff.

I was being sarcastic anyway but... Marketing budget... $10m... More expensive than the budget?

What was their budget, $2000? õ.õ'

(I've literally seen no ads for it as of yet ;_;)

But it is a vastly different situation than the "usual" situation of having a publisher fund everything, with the marketing deals in place with MS and... Who is it, Namco? Both parties get something. CDPR gets marketing, Namco & MS gets, I assume, a slice of the pie. Namco is also in charge of the physical distribution, right?
There was a thread awhile back that basically devolved into what the term AAA meant. My conclusion was that it's one of those charged industry buzzwords that's effectively meaningless in any objective sense. And the Witcher 3 is in that pre-release hype phase in which it's all things to all people. An indie open world title. An epic AAA cinematic tale.

I believe Stump uses 1Pass because he got a lifetime subscription through an old job or something.

Personally, I use LastPass because it's free and I don't have any need for mobile capabilities. Which could bite me in the ass some day come to think of it. I'd recommend giving it a spin, because did I mention it's free? And easy enough to install on either Firefox or Chrome.

I'm inclined to agree that AAA and indie has, mostly, lost meaning nowadays. And 1Pass, huh? I'll go ahead and check it out and see what the price is, otherwise I'll check out KeePass I think, because I really would love having such a program 'on the go', so to speak.

Gimme some gosh darn feedback on that there password program before I
man
punch
er
you

Please? Pwitty pwease?
</3
I guess that means it's shit coming from the guy who hated the Tomb Raider :\

Sounds about right. Because it is kind of poo as of one or two weeks ago. It's a "bleh" game developed by people who can't seem to decide on what to make.

It feels like they're trying to make it COD, SWAT and Counterstrike all at the same damn time, without nailing the aspects of any of them.

And lord almighty, it really doesn't resemble a Rainbow Six game in any way whatsoever. It doesn't even play like one.

It's starting to shape up somewhat, but I really can't tell if I'll like whatever kind of odd abomination it ends up as.

morningbus

Gimme some gosh darn feedback on that there password program before I
man
punch
er
you

Please? Pwitty pwease?
</3

Huh? I already did. Check out keepass and keepass2android. They're free, so you have nothing to lose.

milena87

Pff.

I was being sarcastic anyway but... Marketing budget... $10m... More expensive than the budget?

What was their budget, $2000? õ.õ'

It's supposed to be 15 million dev budget, 25 million marketing. So, yeah...

Anyway, am I the only one who hasn't played a single Metal Gear game?

Nabs

You're the only cool one here, Veg.

Hey, Phawx!

Well deserved. The game is a great ride. I'll pick up my own copy when I go for an eventual replay since I split the game with a friend via family sharing to lower the "potential for an indie game to be garbage" risk.

It's too bad it was paid so little attention in this thread despite the fact that it's actually a game on the Steam platform (I'm pretty sure Bloodborne posts would tally higher).

I wouldn't be surprised.

Knurek

There will be tonnes of discussion on how great the game is once it hits $1 tier in a bundle, we can bet on that.

_hekk05

Banned

Well, its mentioned in the OP &#9582;(&#9583;&#9661;&#9584;)&#9581;

morningbus

Ori has been mentioned in literally any way 6 times in this thread.

Bloodborne: 71.

Atheists: 1. Christians: 0.

Nabs

There will be tonnes of discussion on how great the game is once it hits $1 tier in a bundle, we can bet on that.

We'll see. I used to think the same with other games, but people don't really play the games they get in bundles. That's part of the reason why I don't mind picking up indie games a bit sooner if I really want to play it.

Maniac

Banned
It's supposed to be 15 million dev budget, 25 million marketing. So, yeah...

Anyway, am I the only one who hasn't played a single Metal Gear game?

Well that's... Super Hyper Mega Extreme!
or so it would be if it was a cacpcom published title

Then again, the wages in poland aren't exactly anything to brag about, even on the higher end of the spectrum, whereas marketing involves wages in just about every part of the world, so I suppose that makes sense.

I wonder if Namco or MS supplied most money though.

I sure know what I would do with a 25mil marketing budget...

I'd spend 15 mil on marketing and keep the last 10 for myself so I wouldn't have to work for a good while ;o

Knurek

We'll see. I used to think the same with other games, but people don't really play the games they get in bundles. That's part of the reason why I don't mind picking up indie games a bit sooner if I really want to play it.

I do play games I got from bundles.
It's just that there is such a backlog, I'm just getting around to 2012 purchases. :)

Maniac

Banned
I just bought the indie royale debut 25 bundle a second time without realizing I bought it once before.

Jeez.

You're the only cool one here, Veg.

I haven't bought an indie royale bundle since their... Sixth bundle, I believe? Something like that, anyway. Guess that's been a while :p

I just learned about the drama from last year when Valve pulled Paranautical Activity from Steam after company head (what a douche) tweeted death threats to Gaben... But I see the Deluxe Atonement Edition on Steam now, so I'm wondering how did they make up in the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom